Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in many cases the people deciding to invite you for interview and those making the final decisions are two different groups of people, so it may not have bothered some of them but ultimately did bother others. And it is likely they have two candidates that are very similar except that one didn’t use the word damn, so they got accepted first.
I hear that, I was placed on the lower half of a 300 person waitlist, so I have to assume there's more to the conversation that went on the committee discussion. I'd love to have overheard it all, just to reflect on it, etc

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I hear that, I was placed on the lower half of a 300 person waitlist, so I have to assume there's more to the conversation that went on the committee discussion. I'd love to have overheard it all, just to reflect on it, etc

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile
I get it. I have often wanted to sit in on those meetings as well. The whole process seems very arbitrary because, honestly, the applicant pool is of very high quality overall. They can afford to be picky, I guess.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a phone call with the same area code as my top WL school... super excited for 2 seconds until it wasn’t them on the phone....

Reactions: 14 users
Got a phone call with the same area code as my top WL school... super excited for 2 seconds until it wasn’t them on the phone....
Part of me wonders if telemarketers and med schools are working together. This seems like a very targeted effort to increase our anxiety or get our hopes up only to crush them later

Reactions: 11 users
I was blessed with an acceptance to my top choice this morning! Withdrew my other acceptance and waitlists. Praying for the best for those still waiting =)

Reactions: 45 users
Part of me wonders if telemarketers and med schools are working together. This seems like a very targeted effort to increase our anxiety or get our hopes up only to crush them later
g-d bless you this means there is still movement

Reactions: 1 users
Every time I see the title of this thread, I think it says “wallet support group” for just a second—like a support group for how much money we have to spend applying.
Whereas I always read WL mentally as Wish List then have to correct myself

Reactions: 6 users
Whereas I always read WL mentally as Wish List then have to correct myself
I like that optimism haha Wish List sounds much more positive than Wait List! It's like the school WISHES they could have you in their class, but they just don't have enough seats.

Reactions: 5 users
That's really good to hear that top schools are still moving. Makes me feel better about that trickle-down WL movement :)

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First time poster here (and very grateful for this thread)! I am currently wait-listed at 3 top-tier schools and it has come to my attention that all of the schools' classes are full and movement will be very slow. I was wondering if I still have a realistic chance of getting off the wait-list this late in the cycle or should I cut my losses and start heavily considering other opportunities before I re-apply next year. Like many of you, I am tired of being stuck in limbo and would like to finally have something to look forward to. I guess what I'm asking is when in June or July should I "give up" and move on.

You should already be planning with the mindset that you won't get accepted off the waitlist as the time spent waiting will be fruitful if worst comes to worst and you aren't accepted.

Most of the opportunities I would want to explore require 1-2 years of commitment and a peer's recommendation. I just think it would be best for me not to blackball those peers who recommended me if I somehow get off the waitlist and hence that is why I have been so hesitant and would want to set a deadline to stop waiting for the waitlist. It's been a struggle :sorry:

Most of the opportunities I would want to explore require 1-2 years of commitment and a peer's recommendation. I just think it would be best for me not to blackball those peers who recommended me if I somehow get off the waitlist and hence that is why I have been so hesitant and would want to set a deadline to stop waiting for the waitlist. It's been a struggle :sorry:

I'm in a situation that's very similar to yours, and I've applied to other opportunities that require recommendations. I don't think we should "give up," but we should be preparing with the assumption that we're rejected. If you get off the waitlist, your peers will be very happy for you. You can also see if you can get a deferral, though from what I've heard they're rarely granted, especially considering you're getting in from the waitlist. In any case, if you explain your specific situation to the places you're applying to, I'm sure they'll understand and won't fault the peers who recommended you for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted primaries in early October and submitted every secondary on their respective deadlines around December/January if I remember correctly. Somehow I managed to receive an interview at my hometown university's medical school. I got waitlisted and received an email at the end of May asking if I still wanted to be considered for admission. They stated that they were going to begin reviewing applicants but who even knows anymore. Is there still hope? I feel like June is very late to get an acceptance, and possibly too late. Trying to stay as positive as possible!

Submitted primaries in early October and submitted every secondary on their respective deadlines around December/January if I remember correctly. Somehow I managed to receive an interview at my hometown university's medical school. I got waitlisted and received an email at the end of May asking if I still wanted to be considered for admission. They stated that they were going to begin reviewing applicants but who even knows anymore. Is there still hope? I feel like June is very late to get an acceptance, and possibly too late. Trying to stay as positive as possible!
I’d say you applied late which may explain why you didn’t get more II. If they asked you, that’s means you’re still under consideration so there’s still hope! I would still prep to reapply/do the gap year stuff but people do still get in in June and some in July. Keep that positivity alive!

Bodie-Ghost-Town-Old-Car-and-Buildings-1.jpg

Texas WL action: nada

Reactions: 4 users
That’s impressively late... keep the hope alive!

How did it go?
Finally got a response today. Basically, said "thanks for letting us know how you feel, but there hasn't been much waitlist movement". Basically taking it as "our class is full, if someone drops out last minute you might get a spot". Planning on officially withdrawing soon.

First time poster here. Did anyone get pulled off the SUNY Buffalo waitlist recently? It seems there hasn't been any movement for weeks.

First time poster here. Did anyone get pulled off the SUNY Buffalo waitlist recently? It seems there hasn't been any movement for weeks.
I'm on their wait list too, and haven't heard of any recent activity either. Funny, I remember you gave me some tips for that interview and now we're in the same boat. Reapplying as well.

spoke with uconn , was told there has been no waitlist movement :/ lost hope even though im on the high alt list. Re-applying.

That is waaaaaay too late to submit your primary. You need to be COMPLETE in like September. If you are reapplying, make sure you get your app in by July.

An EMT came through the ER this morning around 10:30 pacific time and said he was accepted to Tulane two hours earlier..

Reactions: 11 users
Do you know if he accepted ?
No, not at that time.

He said he’s pretty sure he’s going to accept but is not 100% sure because he’d have to leave in two months due to being moved off the waitlist so late lol.

Doc he was talking to next to me was trying to convince him to accept and not look back..

I don’t know him, but if I see him again I’ll let y’all know what his decision was.

Reactions: 3 users
Been getting some SMP/PB acceptances. A bittersweet feeling since I now have some good options for next year, but also am reminded that my chances for this cycle are slim to none. Here's to going forward with a plan to strengthen our apps/reapplying but still having hope.

Reactions: 7 users
Acceptances are still coming out at UCSD.
Hey Gyngyn! Thank you so much for all that you do. When you say that acceptances are still coming out at UCSD do you mean they just released a new batch of acceptances or that you expect that there will be more acceptances in the near future? Thank you for all of your insights.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Gyngyn! Thank you so much for all that you do. When you say that acceptances are still coming out at UCSD do you mean they just released a new batch of acceptances or that you expect that there will be more acceptances in the near future? Thank you for all of your insights.
They are coming out now.

Just got put on another waitlist today. I'm 3/3 guys. I don't have much hope left in me

Let's hope the SDN saying of 3 waitlists = 1 acceptance holds true for us 3 and many others!

Lol I’m on 6 WL, all of which have been crickets compared to last year’s WL movement
Hopefully you’ll have double the chance!

Ya it’s really weird how schools with a ton of movement in previous years have very little this year

Status
Not open for further replies.