Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone... just checking in (not sure how I didn't see this thread until now!). Planning on attend a DO school currently, but that would be tough for my significant other, and any of the 4 MD waitlists I'm on seem like they would be better, which is disheartening. Anyways, good luck everyone and heads up, since we're all in this together.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone... just checking in (not sure how I didn't see this thread until now!). Planning on attend a DO school currently, but that would be tough for my significant other, and any of the 4 MD waitlists I'm on seem like they would be better, which is disheartening. Anyways, good luck everyone and heads up, since we're all in this together.
4 waitlists! God bless you my child :dead: Did you submit any LOIs or is the list ranked (so it wouldn’t matter anyways)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
4 waitlists! God bless you my child :dead: Did you submit any LOIs or is the list ranked (so it wouldn’t matter anyways)?

Sent in 1 LOI to my top choice (where I also have people pulling strings in the institution, there's just been no movement), 1 didn't and 2 are ranked.

Sorry you're in that situation, but congratulations on getting in somewhere. At the end of the day, you're still going to be a physician. Praying you get into one of those WL schools though.

Reactions: 6 users
Ugh this sucks! I’m sorry to hear you’re in this situation (and I know exactly how you feel, the pain is awful). I don’t know wtf happened with schools this year. Were there just more applicants or something? As far as I know, waitlist movement has never been this awful :bag:

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh this sucks! I’m sorry to hear you’re in this situation (and I know exactly how you feel, the pain is awful). I don’t know wtf happened with schools this year. Were there just more applicants or something? As far as I know, waitlist movement has never been this awful :bag:
There’s actually been less applicants overall. Someone mentioned that schools just did a better job of protecting yield but I don’t know how they corrdinated that on a mass scale

Reactions: 5 users
I figured that I would never post this, but I did finally get accepted off a waitlist school! It does happen. It was getting so late and I pretty much thought that waitlist movement would be done by June, but it happened! Hang on everyone and best of luck. This forum has helped me a lot.

Reactions: 54 users
I figured that I would never post this, but I did finally get accepted off a waitlist school! It does happen. It was getting so late and I pretty much thought that waitlist movement would be done by June, but it happened! Hang on everyone and best of luck. This forum has helped me a lot.
Congrats! What school?

Reactions: 1 users
:biglove:

Is it safe to assume that at this point, most classes are full and WL movement will only occur if someone randomly drops out?

At this point, I do not think it is safe to assume anything. There are so many variables and most likely a great deal of misinformation (most of it probably not intentional) out on the forums. Many are talking about how different this cycle is and how the waitlist movement is baffling. I was wondering if gyngyn or any other moderators could provide their input and insight. I am sure may candidates would welcome their insight.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, I do not think it is safe to assume anything. There are so many variables and most likely a great deal of misinformation (most of it probably not intentional) out on the forums. Many are talking about how different this cycle is and how the waitlist movement is baffling. I was wondering if gyngyn or any other moderators could provide their input and insight. I am sure may candidates would welcome their insight.
Yeah, I'd like to hear from @gyngyn or someone else involved with admissions too!
As proprietary admissions software has become almost universal, the ability to more precisely identify and recruit target candidates has made waitlists less volatile.
A decade ago, it was madness. 5 years ago it became predictable, this year it has been pretty precise.

For those who like waitlist madness, next year will be a return to mayhem.
No amount of data management can overcome a lack of relible input.

Reactions: 9 users
As proprietary admissions software has become almost universal, the ability to more precisely identify and recruit target candidates has made waitlists less volatile.
A decade ago, it was madness. 5 years ago it became predictable, this year it has been pretty precise.

For those who like waitlist madness, next year will be a return to mayhem.
No amount of data management can overcome a lack of relible input.

Why would movement go back to madness if they were able to make accurate yield predictions this year? Were a lot of those yield predictions based on the National Acceptance report or is there something else to it?

Why would movement go back to madness if they were able to make accurate yield predictions this year? Were a lot of those yield predictions based on the National Acceptance report or is there something else to it?
Current admissions administrators can tell based on where applicants are holding acceptances the likelihood of matriculation (based on historical norms).
Next year we will have no data at all.
We will not even know if the folks who show up to orientation are coming.

Current admissions administrators can tell based on where applicants are holding acceptances the likelihood of matriculation (based on historical norms).
Would you agree that, for this year, movement is probably over at most places unless someone suddenly drops out prior to orientation or something like that?

Would you agree that, for this year, movement is probably over at most places unless someone suddenly drops out prior to orientation or something like that?
As an illustration, there have been acceptances since Friday at UCLA and Davis. If those candidates had been holding acceptances at other schools (and preferred the new offer) there would be trickle down from those schools.
If they were holding no acceptances, there would be little ripple effect.

Reactions: 6 users
As an illustration, there have been acceptances since Friday at UCLA and Davis. If those candidates had been holding acceptances at other schools (and preferred the new offer) there would be trickle down from those schools.
If they were holding no acceptances, there would be little ripple effect.

I feel like since these are pretty top-tier schools, there would definitely be some trickle-down to middle/lower-tier schools? Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part haha.

I feel like since these are pretty top-tier schools, there would definitely be some trickle-down to middle/lower-tier schools? Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part haha.
You might be surprised how many fine candidates are holding no acceptances.

Reactions: 15 users
You might be surprised how many fine candidates are holding no acceptances.

Why don't schools consider offering very qualified waitlist candidates a spot in next years class? NYMC did it this year because the class was filled quickly and they didn't pull anyone off the waitlist...

Why don't schools consider offering very qualified waitlist candidates a spot in next years class? NYMC did it this year because the class was filled quickly and they didn't pull anyone off the waitlist...

There are only so many interview slots.
Schools target the number needed to fill the class.
If there were an excess of entirely acceptable candidates, it would make sense to offer such delayed acceptances.
This happens infrequently in my experience, but the definition of entirely acceptable might vary from school to school. One has to remember that there is a fresh batch of shiny candidates right around the corner, too.

Reactions: 2 users
Can you tell us how again did some rule get passed or changed to allow this madness? Who is benefitting in this situation or what’s the justification, because I can’t see how the new system is helpful to any school..

If we are accepted off the waitlist and holding an acceptance at another school, is it safe practice to accept the new school and notify the other school via email by the end of the next day of my decision?

Can you tell us how again did some rule get passed or changed to allow this madness? Who is benefitting in this situation or what’s the justification, because I can’t see how the new system is helpful to any school..
The DoJ sued a couple of undergrad schools citing anti trust laws.
The AAMC just dumped the traffic rules in (pre-emptive) capitulation.

Know someone that got off the WL at Alabama today

The DoJ sued a couple of undergrad schools citing anti trust laws.
The AAMC just dumped the traffic rules in (pre-emptive) capitulation.
Do you think with the added uncertainty that the new system will provide that there will be an actual advantage in applying to a school early decision. Obviously your chances are lower overall for an acceptance by going this route but will schools be more receptive and aggressive in taking early decision applicants?

Do you think with the added uncertainty that the new system will provide that there will be an actual advantage in applying to a school early decision. Obviously your chances are lower overall for an acceptance by going this route but will schools be more receptive and aggressive in taking early decision applicants?
Great question! Also would like to know the answer to this

It will be interesting to see but I still can't recommend this course if you have not been encouraged by the school to do so.

Still on 3 WLs with 0 acceptances :( don’t know whether to do an MS or MBS program or scribe for the next year at this point.... feel like the chances of getting off the WL are virtually zero

Still on 3 WLs with 0 acceptances :( don’t know whether to do an MS or MBS program or scribe for the next year at this point.... feel like the chances of getting off the WL are virtually zero

The answer to this question really depends on your current app. Is there anything in particular that is weak in your app?

Feel free to PM me.

agree with Dr. Meliodas. It would depend on looking for any weakness on the app and working on that this coming year. I did a masters and then took a gap year. Feel free to PM me :)

I'm on 1WL and 0 acceptances. I feel your pain. We gotta keep the faith but work on a plan B just in case. I applied to a bunch of SMPs (some of them still have applications which are open). Def look into doing one of those (if you need it) or just get more experience like you said! I'm pulling for us and everyone else still waiting :)

Reactions: 10 users
I totally understand your situation, I'm on 2 waitlists and I just started an MS program just in case too

got off the wait-list this Monday for McGovern down in Houston. Will be attending. Hang in there guys!

Reactions: 18 users
So one of my schools just sent an email saying wait list movement is over, essentially... sigh. Though it's good to be in the top 12% of interviewees? right? Idk. Feeling rather defeated.

Reactions: 7 users
So one of my schools just sent an email saying wait list movement is over, essentially... sigh. Though it's good to be in the top 12% of interviewees? right? Idk. Feeling rather defeated.

I think at this point most schools have full classes, so waitlist movement will be pretty minimal but will likely still happen slowly over the summer as students drop their spots for other places and then need to be replaced.

I think at this point most schools have full classes, so waitlist movement will be pretty minimal but will likely still happen slowly over the summer as students drop their spots for other places and then need to be replaced.

And to add to this, I believe classes have been filled for quite a while now, as schools must adhere to traffic rules.

to me, it seems that it would almost be an advantage to apply to this next cycle and take advantage of the madness that is about to take place. I'll be reapplying the cycle after this one unfortunately. by then, I'm sure there will be less madness to take advantage of. this could result in over acceptances and deferrment to the next years class which would be both good and bad.

Reactions: 2 users
to me, it seems that it would almost be an advantage to apply to this next cycle and take advantage of the madness that is about to take place. I'll be reapplying the cycle after this one unfortunately. by then, I'm sure there will be less madness to take advantage of. this could result in over acceptances and deferrment to the next years class which would be both good and bad.

@gyngyn Thoughts?

I was on 7 MD waitlists and got into two MD schools in the past week including my top choice. Hang in there everyone!!!

Reactions: 43 users
Status
Not open for further replies.