Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2017
@gyngyn I still don't really understand exactly why the madness will make it more advantageous to apply next year. Doesn't it seem like the decline in waitlist movement this year is primarily attributable to the schools over accepting adequately?; Meaning for example that to seat a class of 130 an 11-20 ranked school knows they need to accept 200. That knowledge will not change next year. I get that their ability to cherry pick the few spots off the waitlist based on where else if anywhere their wl students have been accepted, will be gone, but I am still curious to understand why this will all lead to pandemonium and a complete uselessness of the metrics they have accumulated. I still saw (at least on SDN) plenty of people posting 4,5 6 or 7 acceptances in their signature. And they were only able to matriculate one place, yet we still saw relatively minimal WL movement.

onemoartime

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
yet we still saw relatively minimal WL movement.
It's debatable whether or not this is really going on. Yes, one of the schools I'm WL at that traditionally takes ~30% of the class off WL had no movement this year, but at other schools I've interviewed at, WL acceptances are going out like hotcakes. The impression of total WL silence might be a result of forum-induced paranoia. Impossible to really say without any numbers.

I think next year's system is advantageous to applicants for the reason that schools could be more likely to over-enroll their classes due to the uncertainty re: their yield. Thus, more total applicants will end the year with an acceptance, which means more people experience the "successful" scenario of being able to attend med school. You're probably right about the top applicants not being affected all that much, though.

Reactions: SCN1a

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn I still don't really understand exactly why the madness will make it more advantageous to apply next year. Doesn't it seem like the decline in waitlist movement this year is primarily attributable to the schools over accepting adequately?; Meaning for example that to seat a class of 130 an 11-20 ranked school knows they need to accept 200. That knowledge will not change next year. I get that their ability to cherry pick the few spots off the waitlist based on where else if anywhere their wl students have been accepted, will be gone, but I am still curious to understand why this will all lead to pandemonium and a complete uselessness of the metrics they have accumulated. I still saw (at least on SDN) plenty of people posting 4,5 6 or 7 acceptances in their signature. And they were only able to matriculate one place, yet we still saw relatively minimal WL movement.
It won't be advantageous, it will just be chaotic and it will persist until late in the cycle.

Reactions: daisydukes99

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I think next year's system is advantageous to applicants for the reason that schools could be more likely to over-enroll their classes due to the uncertainty re: their yield. Thus, more total applicants will end the year with an acceptance, which means more people experience the "successful" scenario of being able to attend med school. You're probably right about the top applicants not being affected all that much, though.
We are more likely to under-accept in times of uncertainty (and then make it up on the waitlist)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SCN1a
Jun 14, 2018
I am on a ranked waitlist for one school and I am number 35. The waitlist moved up to 34 this Monday, is there still hope for me to get in? I called the admissions office and they said they expect virtually no more movement anymore. But that anything can happen. Classes start in a month for this school. Should I show up to the first day of class in hopes someone drops out at the last minute?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
I am on a ranked waitlist for one school and I am number 35. The waitlist moved up to 34 this Monday, is there still hope for me to get in? I called the admissions office and they said they expect virtually no more movement anymore. But that anything can happen. Classes start in a month for this school. Should I show up to the first day of class in hopes someone drops out at the last minute?
Wait until they call.
Do not show up uninvited!

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I think anything could happen over the next month... and typically there's 1-2 people who drop right before orientation.

Last edited:

sourpatchkid247

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Finally got my first acceptance after being on two waitlists for the last few months and just reapplied for the new cycle (OF COURSE haha). Gosh what an agonizing process this has been, I truly was not looking forward to doing it again. Thank you for the support on this thread. I hope others continue to hear good news this week.

fourandtwo

7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2012
Status
Finally got my first acceptance after being on two waitlists for the last few months and just reapplied for the new cycle (OF COURSE haha). Gosh what an agonizing process this has been, I truly was not looking forward to doing it again. Thank you for the support on this thread. I hope others continue to hear good news this week.
Time to get all your paperwork / immunizations in and move out!

Apr 4, 2018
Hi friends. Long time lurker since I have been on 4 MD waitlists. I, first, wanted to say thank you all for the support. SDN has been a blessing and a curse throughout this process but this thread has been entirely positive and helped me feel hope.

Second, I just got into one of my waitlist schools! For those still unsure of their future, I hope this post gives you hope that, even this late in the process, movement still happens!!! And if it does not work out for you, reapplication (although it feels like a horrible outcome) still gets you the MD in the end. My doctor friend told me, "You will turn 30 no matter what so who cares when you get in"

Happy to talk to anyone still feeling crappy, alone, depressed, etc

lingmed

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hi friends. Long time lurker since I have been on 4 MD waitlists. I, first, wanted to say thank you all for the support. SDN has been a blessing and a curse throughout this process but this thread has been entirely positive and helped me feel hope.

Second, I just got into one of my waitlist schools! For those still unsure of their future, I hope this post gives you hope that, even this late in the process, movement still happens!!! And if it does not work out for you, reapplication (although it feels like a horrible outcome) still gets you the MD in the end. My doctor friend told me, "You will turn 30 no matter what so who cares when you get in"

Happy to talk to anyone still feeling crappy, alone, depressed, etc
Alsoooooooo some of us have already turned 30 :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

P.S. Also always happy to chat with anyone feeling down in this wait--went through it last year and never got off my waitlist but was successful this cycle.

Jun 21, 2018
I am currently WLed at 1 school. As of last Friday (6/15/18) there were up to number 46 on the ranked list and I'm sitting at 48. They are no longer updating it online and I have to email/call to find out if there is any movement. Are my chances still good with getting in? I am not looking forward to having to retake the MCAT (The reason for my WL) and start the cycle over. It was so stressful this past year.

SCN1a

Sleep at some point
Sep 6, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hello everyone!

I was accepted to Geisel School of Medicine today! this cycle has been more than a little humbling and I'd like to thank everyone here and who has privately messaged me with support. I won't say that all the hard nights were worth it because I'm still in shock that this is happening, but it is a tremendous weight off of my shoulders.

fourandtwo

7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2012
Status
Hello everyone!

I was accepted to Geisel School of Medicine today! this cycle has been more than a little humbling and I'd like to thank everyone here and who has privately messaged me with support. I won't say that all the hard nights were worth it because I'm still in shock that this is happening, but it is a tremendous weight off of my shoulders.
Damn I was cheering for you! Yay :)

Feb 24, 2018
Hello everyone!

YESSSSS!!!!! I’m honestly so, so happy for you! Geisel is amazing and you totally deserve it!!!!! Good luck in the future!

bballchick89

No, I don't play ball.
May 9, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone!

Congratulations!!! I've been silently rooting for you for months!!

Jul 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hello everyone!

Congrats dude :) well deserved!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noorh

2+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone!

CONGRATULATIONS! I've seen you on a few threads and I know it's been a whirlwind of a cycle. Take some time to celebrate because YOUR'E GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!

Last edited:

boogiecousins94

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2017
Status
Hello everyone!

Lets gooooooooo!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Jan 31, 2018
Hello everyone!

I remember you from the Geisel thread and knew how bad you wanted it, congrats dude!!!

Reactions: Welshman

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
Hello everyone!

Yay!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Toutie

2+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2015
Status
Non-Student
@gyngyn, question for you. Next year, with the new system in place, are you going to be able to post the waitlist movement you see like you typically do? Or will you be completely blind to any movement that is happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.