Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SEVEN? Wow. The wait must have been insane. Congrats!!!
:clap:
If only you knew. If only you truly knew lol. It was worth the wait though

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
@gyngyn I still don't really understand exactly why the madness will make it more advantageous to apply next year. Doesn't it seem like the decline in waitlist movement this year is primarily attributable to the schools over accepting adequately?; Meaning for example that to seat a class of 130 an 11-20 ranked school knows they need to accept 200. That knowledge will not change next year. I get that their ability to cherry pick the few spots off the waitlist based on where else if anywhere their wl students have been accepted, will be gone, but I am still curious to understand why this will all lead to pandemonium and a complete uselessness of the metrics they have accumulated. I still saw (at least on SDN) plenty of people posting 4,5 6 or 7 acceptances in their signature. And they were only able to matriculate one place, yet we still saw relatively minimal WL movement.

yet we still saw relatively minimal WL movement.

It's debatable whether or not this is really going on. Yes, one of the schools I'm WL at that traditionally takes ~30% of the class off WL had no movement this year, but at other schools I've interviewed at, WL acceptances are going out like hotcakes. The impression of total WL silence might be a result of forum-induced paranoia. Impossible to really say without any numbers.

I think next year's system is advantageous to applicants for the reason that schools could be more likely to over-enroll their classes due to the uncertainty re: their yield. Thus, more total applicants will end the year with an acceptance, which means more people experience the "successful" scenario of being able to attend med school. You're probably right about the top applicants not being affected all that much, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn I still don't really understand exactly why the madness will make it more advantageous to apply next year. Doesn't it seem like the decline in waitlist movement this year is primarily attributable to the schools over accepting adequately?; Meaning for example that to seat a class of 130 an 11-20 ranked school knows they need to accept 200. That knowledge will not change next year. I get that their ability to cherry pick the few spots off the waitlist based on where else if anywhere their wl students have been accepted, will be gone, but I am still curious to understand why this will all lead to pandemonium and a complete uselessness of the metrics they have accumulated. I still saw (at least on SDN) plenty of people posting 4,5 6 or 7 acceptances in their signature. And they were only able to matriculate one place, yet we still saw relatively minimal WL movement.
It won't be advantageous, it will just be chaotic and it will persist until late in the cycle.

I think next year's system is advantageous to applicants for the reason that schools could be more likely to over-enroll their classes due to the uncertainty re: their yield. Thus, more total applicants will end the year with an acceptance, which means more people experience the "successful" scenario of being able to attend med school. You're probably right about the top applicants not being affected all that much, though.
We are more likely to under-accept in times of uncertainty (and then make it up on the waitlist)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on a ranked waitlist for one school and I am number 35. The waitlist moved up to 34 this Monday, is there still hope for me to get in? I called the admissions office and they said they expect virtually no more movement anymore. But that anything can happen. Classes start in a month for this school. Should I show up to the first day of class in hopes someone drops out at the last minute?

Reactions: 5 users
I am on a ranked waitlist for one school and I am number 35. The waitlist moved up to 34 this Monday, is there still hope for me to get in? I called the admissions office and they said they expect virtually no more movement anymore. But that anything can happen. Classes start in a month for this school. Should I show up to the first day of class in hopes someone drops out at the last minute?
Wait until they call.
Do not show up uninvited!

Reactions: 9 users

I think anything could happen over the next month... and typically there's 1-2 people who drop right before orientation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Officially withdrew from the waitlist! It's been fun, guys. Best of luck to everyone still holding out!

Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just one offer from WL at Texas A & M.
Go ropin' with your pa on Father's Day
cowboy-and-son.jpg

Accepted off the waitlist at Yale!!!!!

Reactions: 46 users
Finally got my first acceptance after being on two waitlists for the last few months and just reapplied for the new cycle (OF COURSE haha). Gosh what an agonizing process this has been, I truly was not looking forward to doing it again. Thank you for the support on this thread. I hope others continue to hear good news this week.

Reactions: 35 users
Finally got my first acceptance after being on two waitlists for the last few months and just reapplied for the new cycle (OF COURSE haha). Gosh what an agonizing process this has been, I truly was not looking forward to doing it again. Thank you for the support on this thread. I hope others continue to hear good news this week.
Time to get all your paperwork / immunizations in and move out!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off waitlist at Albany! Second times the charm (and luckily before I had to retake the MCAT). Best of luck to those still waiting

Reactions: 37 users
Hi friends. Long time lurker since I have been on 4 MD waitlists. I, first, wanted to say thank you all for the support. SDN has been a blessing and a curse throughout this process but this thread has been entirely positive and helped me feel hope.

Second, I just got into one of my waitlist schools! For those still unsure of their future, I hope this post gives you hope that, even this late in the process, movement still happens!!! And if it does not work out for you, reapplication (although it feels like a horrible outcome) still gets you the MD in the end. My doctor friend told me, "You will turn 30 no matter what so who cares when you get in"

Happy to talk to anyone still feeling crappy, alone, depressed, etc

Reactions: 32 users
Has anyone heard of movement with UVM? Seems very quiet this cycle.

Hi friends. Long time lurker since I have been on 4 MD waitlists. I, first, wanted to say thank you all for the support. SDN has been a blessing and a curse throughout this process but this thread has been entirely positive and helped me feel hope.

Second, I just got into one of my waitlist schools! For those still unsure of their future, I hope this post gives you hope that, even this late in the process, movement still happens!!! And if it does not work out for you, reapplication (although it feels like a horrible outcome) still gets you the MD in the end. My doctor friend told me, "You will turn 30 no matter what so who cares when you get in"

Happy to talk to anyone still feeling crappy, alone, depressed, etc

Alsoooooooo some of us have already turned 30 :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

P.S. Also always happy to chat with anyone feeling down in this wait--went through it last year and never got off my waitlist but was successful this cycle.

Reactions: 14 users
I am currently WLed at 1 school. As of last Friday (6/15/18) there were up to number 46 on the ranked list and I'm sitting at 48. They are no longer updating it online and I have to email/call to find out if there is any movement. Are my chances still good with getting in? I am not looking forward to having to retake the MCAT (The reason for my WL) and start the cycle over. It was so stressful this past year.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone!

I was accepted to Geisel School of Medicine today! this cycle has been more than a little humbling and I'd like to thank everyone here and who has privately messaged me with support. I won't say that all the hard nights were worth it because I'm still in shock that this is happening, but it is a tremendous weight off of my shoulders.

Reactions: 83 users
Hello everyone!

I was accepted to Geisel School of Medicine today! this cycle has been more than a little humbling and I'd like to thank everyone here and who has privately messaged me with support. I won't say that all the hard nights were worth it because I'm still in shock that this is happening, but it is a tremendous weight off of my shoulders.
Damn I was cheering for you! Yay :)

Hello everyone!

YESSSSS!!!!! I’m honestly so, so happy for you! Geisel is amazing and you totally deserve it!!!!! Good luck in the future!

YESSSSS!!!!! I’m honestly so, so happy for you! Geisel is amazing and you totally deserve it!!!!! Good luck in the future!
thanks so much man! you've been honestly really supportive this cycle! you deserve the best as well!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone!

Congratulations!!! I've been silently rooting for you for months!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone!

Congrats dude :) well deserved!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks so much man! you've been honestly really supportive this cycle! you deserve the best as well!

Congrats, you deserve it! Was it a ranked or unranked waitlist?

Hello everyone!

CONGRATULATIONS! I've seen you on a few threads and I know it's been a whirlwind of a cycle. Take some time to celebrate because YOUR'E GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Lets gooooooooo!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Hello everyone!

I remember you from the Geisel thread and knew how bad you wanted it, congrats dude!!!

Hello everyone!

Yay!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if evms waitlist is still active?

Does anyone know if University of South Carolina SOM-Columbia is still moving through their waitlist?

If WashU is still sending out acceptance(s) there's no reason to lose hope yet!

Reactions: 3 users
trickle trickle my dudes

Reactions: 11 users
Status
Not open for further replies.