Waitlisted Everywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatL0v3r!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First post here because super upset. I'm not sure if anyone else is in this situation but since decisions were released this Monday, I heard from 3 schools so far, and all of them were waitlists.

Not only does this make me doubt the other interviews I already did (these schools only release results in March), but now I'm too afraid to go to my upcoming interviews.

I have done practice interviews with my school's career counselor and friends, and I am normally an extroverted person. It's difficult now for me to pinpoint what's wrong in my interviewing behavior. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

First post here because super upset. I'm not sure if anyone else is in this situation but since decisions were released this Monday, I heard from 3 schools so far, and all of them were waitlists.

Not only does this make me doubt the other interviews I already did (these schools only release results in March), but now I'm too afraid to go to my upcoming interviews.

I have done practice interviews with my school's career counselor and friends, and I am normally an extroverted person. It's difficult now for me to pinpoint what's wrong in my interviewing behavior. Anyone else in a similar situation?
Lots of schools throw people onto the wait lists instead of giving them the straight up or down. So it might be them instead of you. Are they schools that historically do this? Inquiring in the school-specific threads might give answers.

Until then, forget about these and work on the next interviews! And good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
You are not in control of anything after you leave interview day. Therefore, you should not be upset with any of the outcomes. There are so many variables it probably has nothing to do with your interview performance. At any rate, I bet one or more of those turns into an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you interviewed badly, you would not be on three wait lists, you'd have at least one outright rejection.

It sounds like you have a good number of interviews, so the odds are still very much in your favor. Buck up!

Reactions: 9 users
I really respect how straightforward everyone has been about how this process is/getting myself together. Thanks I really needed these words of encouragement! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Some good points here. I'm usually pretty pessimistic and unload on pre-med folks, but you are apparently getting several interviews which means the paper lines up. Stay the course, it only takes one performance and even if you don't get in this cycle (still pretty early) I'd give it a go again.

Unlike the previous post about your interview skills, I'd say that's where you probably have some room for improvement, you may be finding yourself on the bubble. Have a really good grasp on doctor compensation and even if they don't ask make sure you work it in that you are knowledgeable in this area; this is one place many applicants flounder and pause like a deer in headlights, don't come off arrogant about the moola you want to make, but demonstrate an understanding of RVUs and insurance.

Hello,

OP - its alright. I know the WL is like limbo. BUTTT its so early on in the cycle you'll be alright. If you were worthy for 3 september interviews you're clearly a very desirable applicant. I know its tense, but what more can you do now? You're already waitlisted. Continue your undergrad (if you're still in college) or continue your gap year activities. Nothing you can do now.

Hey OP, any updates or other interviews yet?

Yes, I got accepted to med school! I'm at 11 II though, and many of them are : deferred decision/ WL

so maybe my track record isn't the best it could be... :/

Reactions: 8 users
Also to be clear, i was at 2 post-II rejections (T10 schools), 3 waitlists, and 2 "deferred decisions" (aka polite way of saying WL) before i got my first acceptance. Pending everywhere else

This process has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me. overall, this process is just..emotionally and financially costly

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

Just wondering, are you shy at interviews?

Very similar situation as you... 8 II.. Heard back from 5... 4 WL and one Post-II rejection (T10). Naturally extroverted.

I remember being so excited for my first II... and second. When I got my 7th and 8th (somewhat recently) I honestly got sad more than anything else because in my head they were just going to be WL like the rest. I don't understand why I'm attractive enough that many schools want to invite me, but when I get to the post-II part when it's really a 50/50 chance at some schools, that I all of a sudden I am not good enough. Sigh. Tough times.

Major congrats on you though! I'm happy it eventually worked out for you :)

I was just in your shoes like a week ago. 3 waitlists in a row and the fourth school I heard back from post interview, I was accepted. This def happens. I know it sucks but it is what it is. You have chances at all your other interviews plus 3 waitlists give you good odds. Good luck!!

EDIT: I just realized OP was accepted. AWESOME :)!!! Keeping my post here for others that may read this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Damn I wish I had your problems.

Reactions: 3 users
Damn I wish I had your problems.

Being waitlisted everywhere and ending the cycle with no offers can feel more frustrating than not getting any interviews. Same result, but more disappointment and expenses.

Fingers are crossed for you though. I really want to hear you be that person that says they got their first interview in February at the school you matriculate to

Being waitlisted everywhere and ending the cycle with no offers can feel more frustrating than not getting any interviews. Same result, but more disappointment and expenses.

Fingers are crossed for you though. I really want to hear you be that person that says they got their first interview in February at the school you matriculate you

At least that means people want you :(

And thank you!! I hope I’m that rare exception!!

At least that means people want you :(

And thank you!! I hope I’m that rare exception!!

Can the current candidates for the cycle buy you an acceptance for Christmas ?!?

I'm in a similar situation to some of the people who have posted here. I'm happy to say I have been accepted to 2 schools, neither really a top choice, but obviously I can't complain. The majority of schools I interviewed at have waitlisted me though, and it is frustrating indeed because I consider my interpersonal skills, especially when under pressure, to be one of my strengths. Good to know this happens to many people. My guess is that many of us will end up being pulled off a waitlist or two before the school year begins. But waiting sucks.

To reiterate, I didn't get my first acceptance until AFTER 2 post-II rejections, 3 waitlists, and 2 "deferred decisions" aka postponed waitlists...so until after 7 II's!

This is also considering the fact that I'm naturally extroverted and have done mock interviews with both my career counselors and friends who are in Wharton (and who have gone through investment banking/finance interviews themselves...which are nothing to scoff at)..

Obviously as scientists/ pragmatists, we like to find reason behind results, and for the most part, there are reasons behind why we get the outcomes that we get. but given the results that I got, I truly believe that sometimes the only explanation behind the outcomes of this application process is....this process is freaking hard!!

Last edited:
To reiterate, I didn't get my first acceptance until AFTER 2 post-II rejections, 3 waitlists, and 2 "deferred decisions" aka postponed waitlists...so until after 7 II's!

This is also considering the fact that I'm naturally extroverted and have done mock interviews with both my career counselors and friends who are in Wharton (and who have gone through investment banking/finance interviews themselves...which are nothing to scoff at)..

Obviously as scientists/ pragmatists, we like to find reason behind results, and for the most part, there are reasons behind why we get the outcomes that we get. but given the results that I got, I truly believe that sometimes the only explanation behind the outcomes of this application process is....this process is freaking hard!!
Just a thought (coming from someone with zero IIs so I could well be talking out of my...) - are schools using WLs more often this season? Maybe it has less to do with you, and more to do with giving people who interview later in the cycle a more level playing field? I've heard this cycle is moving more slowly than previous years, with more pre-II silence... Perhaps there's a collective shift toward holistic review and wanting to slow down the rush to the starting line a bit?

I'm obviously just speculating, and pattern-seeking in my spare time while I wait for that first II myself, but from my vantage point, getting to the WL point tells you that at least you're in the game. The only game I have so far is getting secondaries from the UCs! lol

Just a thought (coming from someone with zero IIs so I could well be talking out of my...) - are schools using WLs more often this season? Maybe it has less to do with you, and more to do with giving people who interview later in the cycle a more level playing field? I've heard this cycle is moving more slowly than previous years, with more pre-II silence... Perhaps there's a collective shift toward holistic review and wanting to slow down the rush to the starting line a bit?

I'm obviously just speculating, and pattern-seeking in my spare time while I wait for that first II myself, but from my vantage point, getting to the WL point tells you that at least you're in the game. The only game I have so far is getting secondaries from the UCs! lol

I feel like they've sent out a lot of the early interviews for people they want and have been pretty silent on giving rejections. I think that's not atypical as many schools give out rejections after the interview season.

Obviously people should prepare for this beforehand and have a plan B but I find it really annoying as the entire process takes a year and most people apply without having the job experience to land something good if this doesn't work out. A lot of people have jobs that aren't sustainable for more than a year imo and you can forget about getting a full-time job with benefits if you're planning on applying at the same time. People can lie and get away with it but idk I feel like most people in science can see through it especially if your entire resume makes it clear you are trying to go to med school. I remember having an interview for a lab position and the PI looked at me super condescendingly and said "well it looks like from your resume you want to go to med school" which was odd given she was an MD/PhD. This entire process puts people in limbo and I really don't think it's that hard to send out rejections early. /rant

I agree with everything you said here COMPLETELY.

I feel like they've sent out a lot of the early interviews for people they want and have been pretty silent on giving rejections. I think that's not atypical as many schools give out rejections after the interview season.

Obviously people should prepare for this beforehand and have a plan B but I find it really annoying as the entire process takes a year and most people apply without having the job experience to land something good if this doesn't work out. A lot of people have jobs that aren't sustainable for more than a year imo and you can forget about getting a full-time job with benefits if you're planning on applying at the same time. People can lie and get away with it but idk I feel like most people in science can see through it especially if your entire resume makes it clear you are trying to go to med school. I remember having an interview for a lab position and the PI looked at me super condescendingly and said "well it looks like from your resume you want to go to med school" which was odd given she was an MD/PhD. This entire process puts people in limbo and I really don't think it's that hard to send out rejections early. /rant
Yes, I'm feeling you! I am a late-career changer so I'm fortunate to have plenty of work, but I've been in job-limbo since starting my postbac four years ago. You're exactly right: it's hard to go all out for a career job when you have night classes and applications and secondaries and (if you're lucky) interviews going on. I see listings for jobs that I'd love to apply for, but: "Yes, I did four years of postbac courses and that's why I'm so well-qualified for this life sciences position at your startup." "But you ended up not applying to med school?" "Uh, well - I did apply, but I have no interviews, but I'll probably re-apply, but I also might end up getting in this year... So, please hire me, I can commit to anywhere from six months to life."

Yeah, seems like the hot applicants got their IIs right away (probably same as always), but I have heard from advisors that there's more silence than usual this cycle. I'm sure it sways back and forth over the years. I actually got three Rs just this week - at this point, thinking they could have saved those Xmas presents for next year, but it is what it is. We'll see what happens in the spring.

Sounds like that MD/PhD PI thought you were trying to put something over on her or something. That's annoying. How long is one expected to stay at a lab job anyway? I'm sure 6-12 months is super common.

Yes, I'm feeling you! I am a late-career changer so I'm fortunate to have plenty of work, but I've been in job-limbo since starting my postbac four years ago. You're exactly right: it's hard to go all out for a career job when you have night classes and applications and secondaries and (if you're lucky) interviews going on. I see listings for jobs that I'd love to apply for, but: "Yes, I did four years of postbac courses and that's why I'm so well-qualified for this life sciences position at your startup." "But you ended up not applying to med school?" "Uh, well - I did apply, but I have no interviews, but I'll probably re-apply, but I also might end up getting in this year... So, please hire me, I can commit to anywhere from six months to life."

Yeah, seems like the hot applicants got their IIs right away (probably same as always), but I have heard from advisors that there's more silence than usual this cycle. I'm sure it sways back and forth over the years. I actually got three Rs just this week - at this point, thinking they could have saved those Xmas presents for next year, but it is what it is. We'll see what happens in the spring.

Sounds like that MD/PhD PI thought you were trying to put something over on her or something. That's annoying. How long is one expected to stay at a lab job anyway? I'm sure 6-12 months is super common.

Same here with the post-bacc thing. I did an SMP but interviewers often question wtf my "masters" is. It really hurts your career prospects. I've had a couple interviews and I'm lucky that my current job is relaxed but I also am not experiencing any growth and am having to look for a new job mid-cycle. I know I have to look out for my best interest but especially when an interviewer is really nice I feel terrible omitting info like the fact that I'm waiting to hear back from schools and might have to leave.

Labs and also clinical research jobs usually require a two year commitment. The former because it takes a lot of time to generate data and the latter because of an extensive training process. At this point, despite having one more interview coming up I'm prioritizing my plan B and most likely going to take a year off from applying since I'm a re-applicant who has been moving around a lot. The lack of being able to not commit to anything long term is really hurting my application and resume.

Edit: props on being able to handle career + school + exams!

Labs and also clinical research jobs usually require a two year commitment.
Haha, shows what I know - I'm still just trying to get into a lab as a volunteer! They usually ask for a 6-12 month commitment.
Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Back to talking about waitlists! And kudos to anyone who is on one, honestly. It really does put you way up there in terms of accomplishments, when you step back and think about how long the odds are on anyone getting in anywhere.

This is nice to see sdners come together to show support. I like reading these to help me feel less down about my current situation. I am waitlisted at 3 schools as of today... no acceptances no rejections :( UNECOM, TOURO-Middletown, and LECOM-Erie... no other interview invites but have some silence from several schools that will probably not turn into much at this point

I'm in the same boat as you

Hello,