Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camel22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am feeling rather disheartened recently.

I applied in July this cycle and have just signed up for SDN.
I did not know I wanted to be a doctor let alone a D.O. until my second year in college, so I sucked it up switched majors and buckled down to do everything I could to make myself a competitive applicant.

I got my degree in chemistry-biology. cGPA 3.75 sGPA 3.65 non-science GPA 3.88
I was a volunteer EMT, I did some organic chemistry research in undergrad (no publications) and I was in the dance company at my undergraduate institution, graduated May 2014.

Took my MCAT right after college, it's definitely my weak spot. I received a 25. VR- 9 PS- 7 BS- 9

I'm currently working as an emergency medical scribe and I just finished a volunteer clinical research program this fall. (I was working 7 days a week for almost 4 months phewww!)

I recieved interviews from KCUMB (waitlisted), DMU (waitlisted), LECOM-E (waiting to hear), and Campbell (haven't interviewed yet).

I'm just wondering if anyone knows about the sucess of getting off the waitlist at DMU or KCUMB and whether it'd be beneficially to retake my MCAT even though it will be the new one at this point. If I take it in March or April I would be able to send my new scores to the schools I'm waitlisted on.

Ultimately I'm just feeling like I'm in limbo and am trying to keep my spirits up, so if anyone has any information/advice/words of wisdom, I would greatly appreciate the input.

I too was wait listed at 2 schools before an acceptance. For me, Western-CA and KCUMB wait listed me; Touro CA accepted me. I'm willing to bet you'll get in to LECOM or Campbell UNLESS you have bad interviewing skills. I consider myself an above average interview and was shocked I was wait listed twice...but I hung tough and got that acceptance.

Aside from that, I really don't know the odds of getting in off a wait list. I'm still hoping I get off the wait list at Western, but we'll see. From what I've been told, some years you have a pretty good shot, others you dont. Really no way to tell at this point though.

Reactions: 1 user
I was waitlisted at 3 schools so far (Western, KCUMb and Mu-COM) and just received my first acceptance at TOURO NY today. I know it sucks, but have hope and do everything you can do to improve your application otherwise.

Its a crapshoot process, at the same time reflect and ensure its not your interviewing skills or red flags.

Members don't see this ad :)
KCUMB and DMU are fantastic schools.

that being said, if you only applied to 4 schools with a 25, you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot IMO, especially when two of them are DMU and KCUMB.

I agree with yanks though.

Also waitlisted at AZCOM, but was accepted to Touro-NY, still waiting to hear from UNECOM. I'm sure you will hear good news soon from other schools.

oh okay, glad to hear you applied to more than just them.

I'm guessing you will get in at CUSOM if you interview well. obviously this is a guess, but DMU/KCUMB are in a different league than CUSOM.

Thank you, I think I interview well.... I think. Otherwise I think they probably would have just rejected me. But I understand where your coming from, I just worry about going to such a new school, although I've heard good things

Yea dont be too disheartened about getting rejected by those schools, they are pretty old schools who can command higher numbers.

Just rock that CUSOM interview and hope for the best from LECOM. I definitely dont think you are out of the running by any means. Really go in with a plan - research stuff on exactly why you want to go to CUSOM and come up with a strong answer to why DO. Thats about all you can do.

I will definitely take your advice awesome sauceome, great name btw. I'm really considering just buckling down and doing a MCAT retake in March or so, score would be in around April, which to my understanding is when most schools start accepting off of the waitlist. If I can keep the trend going upward maybe that will even advance my spot on the waitlist and show I'm still trying to improve my application, but given the MCAT is completely different it's a risk. And thanks Fegbert. I wish you the best of luck with you time spent in pergatory as well! It will really give us time to decide just how much we want to be physicians I suppose

I will definitely take your advice awesome sauceome, great name btw. I'm really considering just buckling down and doing a MCAT retake in March or so, score would be in around April, which to my understanding is when most schools start accepting off of the waitlist. If I can keep the trend going upward maybe that will even advance my spot on the waitlist and show I'm still trying to improve my application, but given the MCAT is completely different it's a risk. And thanks Fegbert. I wish you the best of luck with you time spent in pergatory as well! It will really give us time to decide just how much we want to be physicians I suppose
If you take it in January it's the last month for the old. Just to let you know.

Yeah I know but people are literally flying to get seats. I don't think the January MCAT is really an option. But thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you're not wrong, but my other stats and experiences are good, and I double majored so I thought all in all it might be sorta of a balancing act...

It's okay! You're being rational. I can't fantasize forever. Any suggestions as to which schools?!

I think that you still have great chances! I was wait-listed at 2 schools before I received my first acceptance and they were early interviews (very discouraging). I think you should be good stats-wise for LECOM and CUSOM. Yes your MCAT is a 25 but each subsection is a 7 or better, and your sGPA and cGPA are very good. You have gotten IIs at very good schools, shows you can contend. Just look back at your previous interviews and figure out how you can improve and rock that interview at CUSOM!!!!!

Well congratulations on your acceptance, and thank you for the encouragement. I think no matter what happens I will find a way to do it, because I want to but I just have to find a way to get through this time of not knowing, so thank you!

I am feeling rather disheartened recently.

I applied in July this cycle and have just signed up for SDN.
I did not know I wanted to be a doctor let alone a D.O. until my second year in college, so I sucked it up switched majors and buckled down to do everything I could to make myself a competitive applicant.

I got my degree in chemistry-biology. cGPA 3.75 sGPA 3.65 non-science GPA 3.88
I was a volunteer EMT, I did some organic chemistry research in undergrad (no publications) and I was in the dance company at my undergraduate institution, graduated May 2014.

Took my MCAT right after college, it's definitely my weak spot. I received a 25. VR- 9 PS- 7 BS- 9

I'm currently working as an emergency medical scribe and I just finished a volunteer clinical research program this fall. (I was working 7 days a week for almost 4 months phewww!)

I recieved interviews from KCUMB (waitlisted), DMU (waitlisted), LECOM-E (waiting to hear), and Campbell (haven't interviewed yet).

I'm just wondering if anyone knows about the sucess of getting off the waitlist at DMU or KCUMB and whether it'd be beneficially to retake my MCAT even though it will be the new one at this point. If I take it in March or April I would be able to send my new scores to the schools I'm waitlisted on.

Ultimately I'm just feeling like I'm in limbo and am trying to keep my spirits up, so if anyone has any information/advice/words of wisdom, I would greatly appreciate the input.
I don't understand why people with lower scores get so surprised or upset when they are waitlisted or rejected following interviews. Everything still holds weight even after you receive an interview. If I were you, I would be grateful just to get an interview at those schools.

As long as you applied broadly enough, there will be a seat waiting for you somewhere.

Reactions: 3 users
My young colleague is spot on.

In many cases, the interviewer will end up saying something like "nice guy/gal, but I'm worried about that MCAT score." OR, the Adcom may have actually voted to accept, but the Dean(s) may have dropped the candidate down to wait list due to the low MCAT (or to a low GPA).

It's less common that the interviewee so wows the interviewers that they make a very compelling case to accept. But it does happen. We have meet people who we feel we can take a chance on. i wouldn't base my application strategy on this happening, though.

OP, apply more broadly in the next cycle if you are shut out, or retake once you've fixed your deficits.

I don't understand why people with lower scores get so surprised or upset when they are waitlisted or rejected following interviews. Everything still holds weight even after you receive an interview. If I were you, I would be grateful just to get an interview at those schools.

As long as you applied broadly enough, there will be a seat waiting for you somewhere.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. This all makes sense. Thank you for the advice.

My young colleague is spot on.

In many cases, the interviewer will end up saying something like "nice guy/gal, but I'm worried about that MCAT score." OR, the Adcom may have actually voted to accept, but the Dean(s) may have dropped the candidate down to wait list due to the low MCAT (or to a low GPA).

It's less common that the interviewee so wows the interviewers that they make a very compelling case to accept. But it does happen. We have meet people who we feel we can take a chance on. i wouldn't base my application strategy on this happening, though.

OP, apply more broadly in the next cycle if you are shut out, or retake once you've fixed your deficits.

Well that explains a lot. It sucks though that they tell you an interview means they deem you academically competent, yet wait list you based on your numbers. Thus is life...

When giving feedback to applicants, stats are also a convenient thing for an Admissions Dean to hang a rejection on compared to poor interview technique, or outright personality defects.

Yeah you're not wrong, but my other stats and experiences are good, and I double majored so I thought all in all it might be sorta of a balancing act...
Most schools these days care a lot more about stats than the other comments of one's application... I personally think they shouldn't since you probably don't need to have a high MCAT score to succeed in med school.

Most schools these days care a lot more about stats than the other comments of one's application... I personally think they shouldn't since you probably don't need to have a high MCAT score to succeed in med school.

accepting people with higher MCATs = publicly showing a higher MCAT average for accepted students = attract more higher end applicants = typically do better on boards = typically get better residencies = typically get better jobs = typically make more money and hopefully donate it back haha.

that's at least a feasible idea. plus, they have to judge something based on numbers... too many people are "great people" and can say this or that in the interview but do horribly in medical school. this is not to say someone with a 35 on the MCAT is guaranteed to do well in medical school, but it is more likely that someone with a good GPA and a good MCAT will do better in medical school.

Shinobiz11 I couldn't agree more.
Well that explains a lot. It sucks though that they tell you an interview means they deem you academically competent, yet wait list you based on your numbers. Thus is life...

Shinobiz11 I couldn't agree more.
I think an excellent interview can often make up for subpar numbers, though. Just the same, a horrible interview can eliminate a candidate with otherwise great stats.

I think an excellent interview can often make up for subpar numbers, though. Just the same, a horrible interview can eliminate a candidate with otherwise great stats.

This. An interview means you meet the bare minimum for them and they are willing to pursue you more. Yes that technically means that if your fit/interview were fantastic, then they would likely accept you if they have the space, however most people don't have awe-inspiring interviews. It's just the name of the game. Can't win them all.

THANK YOU! Literally floating on the clouds right now!

Reactions: 2 users