Walgreens Pharmacist Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD227

Reaction score
I recently interviewed for walgreens and everything went well. However, I was shocked at how low the salary is compared to what I have been hearing. I am a recent grad and this will be my first job. The interviewer told me i would be getting $52 an hour. I did some research and the avg is $56. I would like to negotiate my salary but would that even make a difference? I don't want to lose out on finally landing a job. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I recently interviewed for walgreens and everything went well. However, I was shocked at how low the salary is compared to what I have been hearing. I am a recent grad and this will be my first job. The interviewer told me i would be getting $52 an hour. I did some research and the avg is $56. I would like to negotiate my salary but would that even make a difference? I don't want to lose out on finally landing a job. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
If you already have an offer, you know that they already want YOU. I don't think negotiations imperils a job offer, provided that the candidate is both respectful and reasonable. I personally feel that you will feel better trying to get what you think you are worth, even if they say no and you accept their original offer than not trying at all. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
What region of the country?

It never hurts to negotiate. If it didn’t work I’d still take the offer.

What state is this in?

With this being your first job as a brand “new” pharmacist (assuming your getting fulltime hours), what exactly did you expect your salary to be first year on the market? Perhaps I’m viewing things differently but this is what I’ve always expected the rates to be around given the pharmacist market threshold right now.

Reactions: 1 user
My site hires new pharmacists for 52.50 even if they have experience. Don’t like it? That’s fine, plenty of people will take that offer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
So far this is my only offer but I have an interview for a position with Meridian coming up. The region is the midwest. Based on the reponses I just received, it seems like its a reasonable salary. I was just making sure. Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond!

Walgreed did cut salary to sh1t $5-10 less an hour. So that's why you get a low offer.

My hourly rate was $55/hr back in 2008 in CA. Nowadays, it's up to $68-70/hr here in CA. Then, they start dropping them like flies again for new HIRES, down to 60/hr due to too many pharmacists. The only retail company that hasn't cut wages is CVS.

Heard 48/hr was the going rate for new grads at Wags... sad times.

For wags, In my region is now $48 starting. CVS is still $55ish

Feeling better after asking for a higher starting rate and Walgreens DM responding by laughing in your face?

OK

Walgreed did cut salary to sh1t $5-10 less an hour. So that's why you get a low offer.

My hourly rate was $55/hr back in 2008 in CA. Nowadays, it's up to $68-70/hr here in CA. Then, they start dropping them like flies again for new HIRES, down to 60/hr due to too many pharmacists. The only retail company that hasn't cut wages is CVS.

In my area (Greater Los Angeles area), although CVS didn't cut wages, but cut hours big time and tech help. Most consider that as bad or worse than cut in wages.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If given a choice, would you keep your current salary and be minus a tech or get a reduction of $10 an hour and have the same number of techs?

If given a choice, would you keep your current salary and be minus a tech or get a reduction of $10 an hour and have the same number of techs?

Can I pick which tech gets cut if I keep my current salary?

Reactions: 10 users
Wow. $52 an hour. This is a disaster. Consider your responsibilities and the conditions under which you’re expected to maintain perfection.

I graduated in 1982. We all worked our butts off, but at least we enjoyed decent pay and job security. Those days are long gone.

So now in retail we see our hours cut with more tasks piled on, all under management that makes sure you are aware that you are completely disposable (which is true). Oh, and don’t forget about that extra year of school! Retailers are hot to hire new grads mostly because they will work for less and will accept weaker benefits, if they get any benefits at all.

Here’s a tip: neither the NABP or APhA is your friend.

Never did I imagine I’d spend so much of my work life staring at a computer screen and having my every move timed down to the second. I’m done in one year. You can have my stinkin’ job.

Reactions: 5 users
That offer is reasonable... $108k for a new grad.
As long as you're not in California, that's market rate.
Totally depends. A few years ago, starting was $58 for most pharmacists I knew in my region.

As others have said, this is the new going rate for new grads at wags. Take it and run.

Wonder what the likes of Chapman assistant dean and other self proclaimed “pharmacy leader/experts” say now in regards to pharmacy saturation and lowered rates. Before Chapman assistant dean told us that the he knew more than us and new emerging jobs will create new jobs for new grads, looks like the new grads are still after the same chain Jobs that they have been for years

TIA

With the current saturation, I would take it if it's fulltime

It is sad to see the wage deflation. I was started at $52/hr 8 years ago. Pharmacy school tuition goes up and wage goes down...

Damn I haven't looked for a job in like 10 years...has the market changed that much? Crazy..I keep hearing stories but I don't know any pharmacist that is unemployed...so I'm just skeptical that it's really thatttt bad.

Damn I haven't looked for a job in like 10 years...has the market changed that much? Crazy..I keep hearing stories but I don't know any pharmacist that is unemployed...so I'm just skeptical that it's really thatttt bad.

Same here. Specifically haven’t looked for a retail gig in years and don’t have any new grad friends so no idea what the job market is for someone with no experience.

It feels impossible to get a PRN position right now. They expect you to be available at any time, for any shift, and don't want to hire someone who can only work weekends and evenings. I'm guessing there are more than enough desperate pharmacists to fill those spots.

It feels impossible to get a PRN position right now. They expect you to be available at any time, for any shift, and don't want to hire someone who can only work weekends and evenings. I'm guessing there are more than enough desperate pharmacists to fill those spots.

Agreed. I think the best that most can find is some hours for an independent, especially if it's your classmate/friend, on a Saturday (if they are open) or your random weekday day off.

Omg. I expected to read like $32 lol $52??? I'll take it... Lol

well ofc you don't... you are an old timer

I think alot of the prn jobs are taken by people who already have a full time job... some pharmacists only want to make money and doesn't care if they have no time off

+pity+
I've been working for Walgreens in the LA area since 2016 as an intern, then as a grad-intern, and just recently became a pharmacist. I got $31 as a grad-intern and I'm getting $62 now as a pharmacist. I heard those who get hired after Dec 1 will get around $54.
Your avg union staff CVS slaves in socal are making $70 with 1.30/hr raise x 2 more years. Walgreed treats you guys right!

Edit: $70/hr (as of 07/08/2018)

Last edited:

Pharmacist: 4 year degree, work weekends and holidays
$52/hr 32hrs/wk = $86,525/yr
Assuming $200k loans, federal 7% interest, 10 yr repayment plan = $2322/mo or $27,864/yr
Income after loans = $58,661/yr pretax

Master's : 2 year degree
Average salary $75,000/yr (source)
Median debt $57,600 (source), assuming federal 7% interest, 10 yr repayment plan = $669/mo or $8028/yr
Income after loans = $66,972/yr pretax

Why choose 4 year degree that gives you lower income than a 2 year degree?

Reactions: 10 users

TIA

What region of US is this? West, south, midwest, northeast?

Heard 48/hr was the going rate for new grads at Wags... sad times.

Where have you been hearing this is going on?? This is a full 20$ less/hr than the most recent (within 1 year) offers at CVS in my area.

For wags, In my region is now $48 starting. CVS is still $55ish

Where? Has to be northeast?

Wow. $52 an hour. This is a disaster. Consider your responsibilities and the conditions under which you’re expected to maintain perfection.

I graduated in 1982. We all worked our butts off, but at least we enjoyed decent pay and job security. Those days are long gone.

So now in retail we see our hours cut with more tasks piled on, all under management that makes sure you are aware that you are completely disposable (which is true). Oh, and don’t forget about that extra year of school! Retailers are hot to hire new grads mostly because they will work for less and will accept weaker benefits, if they get any benefits at all.

Here’s a tip: neither the NABP or APhA is your friend.

Never did I imagine I’d spend so much of my work life staring at a computer screen and having my every move timed down to the second. I’m done in one year. You can have my stinkin’ job.

Wow! what was your starting wage and what is it now? How did you decide to keep working?

Assuming $200k loans, federal 7% interest, 10 yr repayment plan = $2322/mo or $27,864/yr

Median debt $57,600 (source), assuming federal 7% interest, 10 yr repayment plan = $669/mo or $8028/yr

It's actually worse than that, because you can't deduct the student loan payments pretax. (Yes, I know you can deduct a small amount of interest, dependent on income).

If you have $200k+ loan then it wouldn't make sense to go on the 10 year plan. The 10% for 25 years may be a better option being that you would end up paying less than what you may actually owe. Yes, even with tax on interest after loans are forgiven.

My site hires new pharmacists for 52.50 even if they have experience. Don’t like it? That’s fine, plenty of people will take that offer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
SUPPLY AND DEMAND IN ACTION! 50 USD AN HOUR IS STILL A LOT. I'M WAITING FOR NEW GRAD RATE TO HIT 40.

Minus a tech. Sure your metrics will go down but you can pull the trick that Mexican truck drivers do. "call here xxx-xxx-xxxx to report my bad driving" they cover it with mud. Just make a sign "call here for to speak with the store manager" and put your significant others phone number on it.

Wonder what the likes of Chapman assistant dean and other self proclaimed “pharmacy leader/experts” say now in regards to pharmacy saturation and lowered rates. Before Chapman assistant dean told us that the he knew more than us and new emerging jobs will create new jobs for new grads, looks like the new grads are still after the same chain Jobs that they have been for years
how can you blame a oil salesmen for selling oil though? they are just doing their jobs....

to be fair i'd be fine with 32 USD an hour. I'm willing to work for as low as 20 USD an hour. below that i will just work at walmart stocking shelves in SF for 15 USD an hour. Then it's relaxing and I get to listen to podcasts like Planet Money, This Week in Tech with leo laporte, Jason Calicanis this week in start ups, joe rogan experience, Glynn Washington Snap Judgment and How I built that with Guy Ross.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND IN ACTION! 50 USD AN HOUR IS STILL A LOT. I'M WAITING FOR NEW GRAD RATE TO HIT 40.

Although this may be the reality soon, we need to take actions to prevent this from happening. As much as I hate the situation we are in, I still love my profession too much to let it be trashed by money driven corporations.

Although this may be the reality soon, we need to take actions to prevent this from happening. As much as I hate the situation we are in, I still love my profession too much to let it be trashed by money driven corporations.
dude it's getting trashed by the schools which are going after easy fed money. if you want to blame anyone blame the government i think.

dude it's getting trashed by the schools which are going after easy fed money. if you want to blame anyone blame the government i think.

Blame ACPE, or whoever it is that accredits the schools

I know 3 unemployed pharmacists in New Jersey. Me and two others. All of us were previously employed by the same company. I used to make $50/hr. The other two made less than me. I've had four jobs in the $48-$50 range. Right now, I would work for free for up to eight months, just so that I could represent myself as being currently employed, keep my skills fresh, and avoid a big resume gap until the day when/if I am employed again. I'm going to keep looking for a pharmacist job until the new grads hit the market in May 2019. After that, I pull the plug on pharmacy.

Yup, feeling the same way man.

When your a prepharm and got blinders on... oh joy.

@Modest_anteater use the god damn multi-quote button dude, no need to make 4 posts consecutively. You've been here for years and haven't figured it out yet?

Reactions: 4 users
I know 3 unemployed pharmacists in New Jersey. Me and two others. All of us were previously employed by the same company. I used to make $50/hr. The other two made less than me. I've had four jobs in the $48-$50 range. Right now, I would work for free for up to eight months, just so that I could represent myself as being currently employed, keep my skills fresh, and avoid a big resume gap until the day when/if I am employed again. I'm going to keep looking for a pharmacist job until the new grads hit the market in May 2019. After that, I pull the plug on pharmacy.

IDK how all these ppl can claim not to know any unemployed pharmacists. I know around 50 pharmacists. 8 are unemployed for more than 6 months and another 6 are underemployed only making part time money. and these are OLDER pharmacists. God knows what it is like for younger new grads.

Are you for real?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

He lives in his car so he has no rent/mortgage payment or utility bills.

If you have $200k+ loan then it wouldn't make sense to go on the 10 year plan. The 10% for 25 years may be a better option being that you would end up paying less than what you may actually owe. Yes, even with tax on interest after loans are forgiven.
Is that by doing PAYE or REPAYE? I wonder if I should've done that... Instead I refinanced $140k for 4.4% interest and I'm trying to go hard paying 3k to 4k per month.

Wait that guy's serious? I had always assumed he was trolling.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Trolling is against the rules. And technically I

live in a trailer behind my car. not "in my car" as that would be very uncomfortable

also I have 834 posts. you have 35. who do you think is more likely the fake troll account....