WAMC: 515/3.8, maybe URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eleithyia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for help with my school list. I've done pretty well, but there have been some hiccups.
Double major: Bio + humanities
MCAT: 515 (126/131/128/130),
sGPA: 3.8
cGPA: 3.8
Rural Ohio resident, possibly considered URM

*I got one F in a non-science class I can't retake (not offered again), otherwise mostly As, a few Bs

ECs:
-Campus newspaper section editor, 2 years/~1200 hrs
-Various peer instruction (tutoring, TAships, etc), 3 years/~950 hrs
-Planned Parenthood internship, 150 hrs
-Clinical volunteering (ER, free clinic) ~240 hrs
-Non-clinical volunteering, ~120 hrs
-Shadowing family med docs, 60 hrs
-Campus organization involvement, ~125 hrs
-University chorus, 4 years (prob. ~350 hrs)

The obvious snag is no out-of-class research experience. I hate to even ask, but… I took a molecular bio class where our work throughout the semester was actually used in a prof’s research, and will be continuing on the project in an advanced version of the class with two other students this summer. However, the prof is not allowing any more undergrads to join their lab, so no luck there. I would assume this does not count as research experience, but please correct me if I am wrong!

WedgeDawg’s applicant rating system puts me in S level, but I am struggling to figure out how to adjust my school list based on having minimal/no research and that F.

I’ll definitely apply to all my state schools. Also looking at:
-U of Michigan
-Rosalind Franklin
-Emory
-USC-Keck
-U of Virginia
-Tulane
-Virginia Commonwealth
-Loyola
-Hofstra
-Quinnipiac
-UNC Chapel Hill
-Northwestern (a reach, but they sent me a letter and offered to waive the secondary fee, so why not)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Looking for help with my school list. I've done pretty well, but there have been some hiccups.
Double major: Bio + humanities
MCAT: 515 (126/131/128/130),
sGPA: 3.8
cGPA: 3.8
Rural Ohio resident, possibly considered URM

*I got one F in a non-science class I can't retake (not offered again), otherwise mostly As, a few Bs

ECs:
-Campus newspaper section editor, 2 years/~1200 hrs
-Various peer instruction (tutoring, TAships, etc), 3 years/~950 hrs
-Planned Parenthood internship, 150 hrs
-Clinical volunteering (ER, free clinic) ~240 hrs
-Non-clinical volunteering, ~120 hrs
-Shadowing family med docs, 60 hrs
-Campus organization involvement, ~125 hrs
-University chorus, 4 years (prob. ~350 hrs)

The obvious snag is no out-of-class research experience. I hate to even ask, but… I took a molecular bio class where our work throughout the semester was actually used in a prof’s research, and will be continuing on the project in an advanced version of the class with two other students this summer. However, the prof is not allowing any more undergrads to join their lab, so no luck there. I would assume this does not count as research experience, but please correct me if I am wrong!

WedgeDawg’s applicant rating system puts me in S level, but I am struggling to figure out how to adjust my school list based on having minimal/no research and that F.

I’ll definitely apply to all my state schools. Also looking at:
-U of Michigan
-Rosalind Franklin
-Emory
-USC-Keck
-U of Virginia
-Tulane
-Virginia Commonwealth
-Loyola
-Hofstra
-Quinnipiac
-UNC Chapel Hill
-Northwestern (a reach, but they sent me a letter and offered to waive the secondary fee, so why not)
What race are you? If latino/a which heritage are you from

Members don't see this ad :)
Which community?
For the maybe-URM status?
I am white but Appalachian, so low-SES/disadvantaged type URM (which is not considered URM everywhere, I think)

EDIT: precision

Reactions: 1 user
For the maybe-URM status?
I am white but Appalachian, so low-SES/disadvantaged type URM (which is not considered URM everywhere, I think)

EDIT: precision
You will get a good number of interviews. You can throw in some dream schools of u have some money to spare.

Reactions: 1 user