WAMC - Considering DAT retake as well

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelazyvaca

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: June 14, 2020 for this cycle, and as early as possible for the 2021 cycle (if needed)
Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.13 (says overall is 3.19 on TMDSAS after entering graduate GPA for Fall)
Science Undergrad GPA: 2.84 (11 hours of A's to bring it up to a 3.00) (says overall is 2.94 on TMDSAS after entering graduate GPA for Fall)
Bio-Chem-Physics Undergrad GPA: 2.81
Graduate GPA: Fall: 3.70 (3.79 on TMDSAS -- no +/-) / (Spring not calculated yet (05/2021))
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 18 AA; BIO 16; GC 20; OC 18; PAT 19; QR 16; RC 21; TS 18 (Plan to retake Summer of 2021 - if needed (can add to 2021 & potentially 2022 cycle)
State of Residence: PM me

Undergrad Attended (05/2020 graduation): State school
Masters Attended (05/2021 graduation): Fancy private
Major: B.S. in Biology (Pre-Dental concentration) - Honors College
Minor: Biochemistry
Masters: M.S. in Medical Genetics & Genomics (Masters in Biomedical Sciences)
Minority? Cherokee Nation
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 300+ hours (mostly general, but all specialties included - mainly pedo, endo, ortho) - (Will go up with clinical experience at M.S. program)
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours (community service, public health fairs, etc.) - (Will go up with clinical experience at M.S. program)
Employment: 300+ hours (sterilization technician for a general/pedo office) & a full year (fall/spring) as a lab instructor for Functional Biology
Research: No research experience whatsoever
Other Extracurriculars: Hundreds of hours of EC's (hobbies mainly - sports, craftsmanship, fishing, etc.) & a couple dental clubs as a member during undergraduate years

Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List, a local community award for being a citizen that helps the community

LOR type and strength: Committee letter, two science, and one dental (strong - all of them) (M.S. program will provide some letters as well - only available for potential 2022 cycle (program ends 05/2021))

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Attending one year masters program at [PM ME] in Biomedical Sciences (M.S. in Medical Genetics & Genomics - incorporates medical school curriculum), and from an underserved and underperforming community.

School list:

- A&M
- UT San Antonio
- UT Houston
- Texas Tech
- Oklahoma
- Howard
- Meharry
- Western
- Roseman
- Tufts
- Lake Erie
- UNE
- Boston
- NOVA
- NYU
- A.T. Still (AZ)
- Touro
- Additional schools if 2022 cycle is needed: USC, Midwestern (IL), A.T. Still (MO), & Midwestern (AZ)

EXTRA NOTE: I have spoken with the program director, and she mentions that dental schools often look at the program I am in as both a Masters, and a Post-Bacc. She mentioned that some schools will consider my graduate GPA as separate, and some will consider it as an extension to my undergraduate GPA (combine both). She even said some will consider it both as a stand alone GPA, and an extension of my GPA (combine both). I have taken that with a grain of salt, but she was pretty adamant about the program being special in terms of being both a full masters program, and a post-bacc.

WAMC this cycle, as well as next?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say you stand a chance this cycle, good school list and extracurriculars. Yes, if it’s clear later in the cycle that you won’t get acceptance this year then I’d suggest a DAT retake. For the 2021 cycle, you would have a lot of time to study for it, which would be good. You’ll also want to do well in your masters program, getting as close to 4.0 as possible, to prove that you can handle the rigor of a full schedule of science classes in dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say you stand a chance this cycle, good school list and extracurriculars. Yes, if it’s clear later in the cycle that you won’t get acceptance this year then I’d suggest a DAT retake. For the 2021 cycle, you would have a lot of time to study for it, which would be good. You’ll also want to do well in your masters program, getting as close to 4.0 as possible, to prove that you can handle the rigor of a full schedule of science classes in dental school.
Thank you for the reply! I am glad this cycle will at least see the first semester of the masters program (if that makes sense).

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to say that the program only lasts until early May of 2021.

I think if I were you, I'd explore a DAT retake as soon as I was prepared to crush it. I've never believed a good strategy is to take the DAT as soon as possible, because I think people have the tendency to rush it and end up not being as prepared as they can be. Retaking the DAT a second time is nothing to worry about, but taking it a third time starts to become a concern, so you really want to nail the 2nd attempt.

Your list of schools is pretty broad, so thats a positive for sure. Keep piling up those A's from here on out in the remaining of your coursework, and aim for a 21-22 AA on your DAT and I think an acceptance will be in your future.

Reactions: 1 users
I think if I were you, I'd explore a DAT retake as soon as I was prepared to crush it. I've never believed a good strategy is to take the DAT as soon as possible, because I think people have the tendency to rush it and end up not being as prepared as they can be. Retaking the DAT a second time is nothing to worry about, but taking it a third time starts to become a concern, so you really want to nail the 2nd attempt.

Your list of schools is pretty broad, so thats a positive for sure. Keep piling up those A's from here on out in the remaining of your coursework, and aim for a 21-22 AA on your DAT and I think an acceptance will be in your future.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time. I figured the best time for a retake would be the three empty months after my program, and potentially before dental school. If I do not get in this cycle, that would give me quite a bit of time to study and retake the DAT. I am afraid being removed from Organic might hurt me a little. I am confident I could do better on the Biology & Mathematics sections however considering I took some classes that supplied knowledge that I did not know on my first DAT attempt. I would just be scared that the Organic Chemistry would be a little less fresh. I am sure that is a concern for all people retaking, so I should stop complaining!

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time. I figured the best time for a retake would be the three empty months after my program, and potentially before dental school. If I do not get in this cycle, that would give me quite a bit of time to study and retake the DAT. I am afraid being removed from Organic might hurt me a little. I am confident I could do better on the Biology & Mathematics sections however considering I took some classes that supplied knowledge that I did not know on my first DAT attempt. I would just be scared that the Organic Chemistry would be a little less fresh. I am sure that is a concern for all people retaking, so I should stop complaining!
Try DAT bootcamp. I used that in conjunction with my college textbooks and I was able to do well on the DAT this past May, and I haven't taken those core science classes since 2004. I've recently done some post-bac work to get myself back in the game and prepare for dental school, but if I can score high on the DAT, I think anyone can do it. I'm also a Texas boy hoping to get into one of the Texas schools, so who knows, we might be classmates at some point if we get a little lucky! Keep in touch

Try DAT bootcamp. I used that in conjunction with my college textbooks and I was able to do well on the DAT this past May, and I haven't taken those core science classes since 2004. I've recently done some post-bac work to get myself back in the game and prepare for dental school, but if I can score high on the DAT, I think anyone can do it. I'm also a Texas boy hoping to get into one of the Texas schools, so who knows, we might be classmates at some point if we get a little lucky! Keep in touch

Bootcamp was what I used for the first go around. I think if I keep my nose to the grindstone this second go around, I'll be better off like you were able to do. Thanks again for the motivation, and let me know, maybe luck will be on our side!

Datbooster is what saved me. And destroyer

No worries...datbooster is cheaper and their exams are good but the scoring is really low. Dont let that discourage you. Read my breakdown in the dat discussion. And you will see how I did it...feel free to DM. And I can give you more advice and etc

No worries...datbooster is cheaper and their exams are good but the scoring is really low. Dont let that discourage you. Read my breakdown in the dat discussion. And you will see how I did it...feel free to DM. And I can give you more advice and etc

I will take a look, and get back with you! Thanks again!