WAMC? Low sGPA, high SMP and post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

victoriaa006

Reaction score
Hi! I am preparing for the upcoming cycle and would greatly appreciate some guidance! Thank you in advance.

1. cGPA: 3.1 and sGPA: 2.5 -- SMP: 3.8, postbacc: 4.0 *doing both at the same time so my postbacc so far is only 12 credits

2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: haven't taken yet, testing in June. *expecting 508+ based on practice exams.

3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): NC

4. Ethnicity and/or race: URM (AA, female)

5. Undergraduate institution or category: state-school

6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1000+ paid clinical experience (MA)

7. Research experience and productivity: 100+ hours of research in psychology lab, 1 publication at Duke (not first author)

8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: none.

9. Non-clinical volunteering: 50+ non-clinical volunteering (salvation army working with at-risk youth)

10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
- HELPS Education Fund -- tutoring, children primarily from households where English isn't spoken. (2018-2019)
- GradePower -- tutoring (2022-current)
- Gospel Choir on campus: traveled to to different cities in NC to perform and sang the national anthem at a sporting event.
- 50+ hours leadership -- first generation organization *helps students become acclimated

11. Relevant honors or awards: Dean's List *small upward trend

I had a tough time in undergrad, so I had some retroactive withdrawals on account of my mental health (bad environment), but I still have 2 F's on my transcript (physics 1 and Orgo 1). I managed to re-take them and get A's in all of the classes, but even with that my sGPA is abysmal. I know I'm likely to get screened by a lot of schools, but I wanted to give this cycle a chance since I got approved for the FAP. I understand my EC's aren't that great either. I'm not really asking for a school list being that I don't have scores to provide, but is there any chance for me at all this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Their in-person conference is this week but they offer online events. Connect with student officers at the medical schools too.
Okay! Would a mentor be giving me advice on my application overall? As it stands, do you believe that it's okay to apply this cycle? Thank you!

Okay! Would a mentor be giving me advice on my application overall? As it stands, do you believe that it's okay to apply this cycle? Thank you!
SNMA often sets up mentoring which could include application help. (We do it too, but it helps to have many opinions and advice.)

I think it depends on mission fit. I would consider the HBCU schools given how you show you overcame challenges germane to being URM and first-generation. Other schools that are service oriented may want more community service.

SNMA often sets up mentoring which could include application help. (We do it too, but it helps to have many opinions and advice.)

I think it depends on mission fit. I would consider the HBCU schools given how you show you overcame challenges germane to being URM and first-generation. Other schools that are service oriented may want more community service.
Thank you! I appreciate it.