WAMC superthread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is Step 2 necessary for DOs applying anesthesia?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone.
step 1 high 240's but my step 2CK dropped to low 240s (Don't really know what happened).
US MD from NE school, decent ECs, no pubs, meh research experience. 5 interviews so far so at least I know my app doesn't have any red flags.
What are my chances at places in NYC like NYU (have an interview already but I received it right as I updated my step scores, so I don't think they used that in their initial eval), Mt sinai, Columbia, and Cornell. Also Yale in CT.
Also, I know that dropping scores in Step exam is bad obviously but would appreciate on some input as to HOW BAD you think this is going to hurt me.

Hey everyone.
step 1 high 240's but my step 2CK dropped to low 240s (Don't really know what happened).
US MD from NE school, decent ECs, no pubs, meh research experience. 5 interviews so far so at least I know my app doesn't have any red flags.
What are my chances at places in NYC like NYU (have an interview already but I received it right as I updated my step scores, so I don't think they used that in their initial eval), Mt sinai, Columbia, and Cornell. Also Yale in CT.
Also, I know that dropping scores in Step exam is bad obviously but would appreciate on some input as to HOW BAD you think this is going to hurt me.
You should be good

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to the 4th years applying right now.

3rd year DO student

USMLE step 1: 251-260
COMLEX level 1: 651-700
Top quartile
High school and college anesthesia research
2 months of Anesthesia rotations planned for end of this year

Advice on early 4th year rotations? Have read previous threads on aways/auditions and seems like most people here advise against doing them. I was originally thinking about an ICU and anesthesia rotation for july/august 4th year. I'm guessing that will be very competitive through vsas? Looking to do cardiology, pulmonology, nephrology after that.

Thanks

Good luck to the 4th years applying right now.

3rd year DO student

USMLE step 1: 251-260
COMLEX level 1: 651-700
Top quartile
High school and college anesthesia research
2 months of Anesthesia rotations planned for end of this year

Advice on early 4th year rotations? Have read previous threads on aways/auditions and seems like most people here advise against doing them. I was originally thinking about an ICU and anesthesia rotation for july/august 4th year. I'm guessing that will be very competitive through vsas? Looking to do cardiology, pulmonology, nephrology after that.

Thanks
We have identical applications. You will be fine, I have 1 3rd year rotation for letters and another one 4th year because I was required to by my school and I already have 4 interviews scheduled, all of which I have no connection to. Audition rotations are not necessary for this specialty. If you must,I would suggest doing a SICU or MICU rotation at your place of interest, you'll learn a lot more on an ICU rotation than an Anesthesiology rotation, ask your attending to let you sneak out and go introduce yourself to the people down in the OR. If you did a good job in the unit, I don't see how your attending won't hook you up with his Anesthesia peeps. Don't know anything about VSAS, didn't use it. I was advised to do Cards, Pulm, EM, ICU then enjoy the rest of the year. I loved my ICU rotation.

Reactions: 2 users
We have identical applications. You will be fine, I have 1 3rd year rotation for letters and another one 4th year because I was required to by my school and I already have 4 interviews scheduled, all of which I have no connection to. Audition rotations are not necessary for this specialty. If you must,I would suggest doing a SICU or MICU rotation at your place of interest, you'll learn a lot more on an ICU rotation than an Anesthesiology rotation, ask your attending to let you sneak out and go introduce yourself to the people down in the OR. If you did a good job in the unit, I don't see how your attending won't hook you up with his Anesthesia peeps. Don't know anything about VSAS, didn't use it. I was advised to do Cards, Pulm, EM, ICU then enjoy the rest of the year. I loved my ICU rotation.

One of my attending advised us to do away rotations if we don't have a stellar app. I guess in your situation they are not neccessary.

Also would you mind PMing me where you are applying to and interviewing?

Awesome UnoMas! Congrats on your interview invites so far. I really appreciate the rotation advice. Sounds like a great plan. Good luck this season.

Define nyc area?
There are a few across the river in jersey that’s less than an hour away from nyc.
There are few in Brooklyn have names less than the big ivory tower institutions in Manhattan.
210 will probably not be the easiest thing to overcome, but as usual apply broadly, do well on step 2. Don’t have other red flags, you will probably end up somewhere. May not be the most desirable program..... oh and have a few back up programs in less competitive specialities.

Good luck.

I would say anything that doesn’t instantly recognize as a power house would count as mid or lower tier.
Do well on your elective and do a few audition outside of your home institution. If you can kill step 2, you’ll open more doors.

Putting it out there, I am not from the Ivory towers, take what I say for what’s worth to you.

MS3, step 1 210.
Any input on how I can recover from that to match anesthesiology in the nyc area would be appreciated.
I don't want to give too much information about myself but I go to a nyc med school... not sure if matching into home institution is easier?
Are there lower tier programs in the nyc area I should do an away at?

Thank you

with Step in 210's, if you want to stay near NYC, NYMC, Montefiore, Rutgers NJ, Rutgers RWJ, SUNY Brooklyn, Stonybrook, Hosftra LIJ would be your target/reach programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Step 1 - 220
COMLEX - 550

Ideally would like to match in the southwest (CA, AZ, NV, NM, TX - anywhere is fine). Will definitely be applying to many, many more programs all around the country and even though I have a preference, I am prepared to go anywhere as long as I get to become an anesthesiologist.

Do I have a good shot even if I go all in on anesthesia with no backup plan (no other specialty appeals to me at this time), but willing to go anywhere in the country? Thanks a lot everyone.

Always have a backup plan no matter what.

Hi everyone,

Current DO 3rd year here. Applying anesthesia next year. Curious if my chances at this list I've been compiling is realistic. Seems anesthesia is harder for DOs

Here are my stats:

STEP 1: 250-260
COMLEX > 750
No research
I co-author on case study in unrelated field
2 honors in rotations this far. 1 pass. Seems like a crap shoot depending on preceptor and expectations. Hoping to keep doing well and get more honors
All honors throughout years 1 & 2
SSP honors society
Hoping for good LORs - assuming average for now
Good mix of ECs

What're the thoughts on this list and what are my chances overall at matching at a decent University Program?

SUNY upstate NY
Indiana University
Cooper - NY
Cincinnati OH
Toledo OH
Loyola
Ithica - mount sinai
Mayo clinic
Penn state hershey
Ohio State
University hospitals Cleveland
Metro Cleveland
John Hopkins
Cleveland Clinic
Georgetown University
MUSC - south carolina
UC-irvine
Loma Linda CA
Cedars Sina CA
Vanderbilt
Rutgers
Brown Unversity
University of Washington
Wake Forest
Darthmouth
Yale

How many more do you think I should add. Planning to add a handful of former AOA programs. Any other suggestions? Will the no research hurt me, or should I be able to match a decent program without it?

Hi everyone,

Current DO 3rd year here. Applying anesthesia next year. Curious if my chances at this list I've been compiling is realistic. Seems anesthesia is harder for DOs

Here are my stats:

COMLEX > 750
No research
2 honors in rotations this far. 1 pass. Seems like a crap shoot depending on preceptor and expectations. Hoping to keep doing well and get more honors
SSP honors society
Good mix of ECs

What're the thoughts on this list and what are my chances overall at matching at a decent University Program?

SUNY upstate NY
Indiana University
Cooper - NY
Cincinnati OH
Toledo OH
Loyola
Ithica - mount sinai
Mayo clinic
Penn state hershey
Ohio State
Metro Cleveland
John Hopkins
Cleveland Clinic
Georgetown University
MUSC - south carolina
UC-irvine
Loma Linda CA
Cedars Sina CA
Vanderbilt
Rutgers
Brown Unversity
University of Washington
Wake Forest
Darthmouth
Yale

How many more do you think I should add. Planning to add a handful of former AOA programs. Any other suggestions? Will the no research hurt me, or should I be able to match a decent program without it?

Which state did you attend medical school? Start there and work your way outwards. This is Anesthesia, not Orthopedic Surgery. You're competitive for most and would not be "wasting money" dropping an app at any program

Hi everyone,

Here are my stats:

COMLEX > 750
No research
SSP honors society
Good mix of ECs

SUNY upstate NY
Indiana University
Cooper - NY
Cincinnati OH
Toledo OH
Loyola
Ithica - mount sinai
Mayo clinic
Penn state hershey
Ohio State
Metro Cleveland
John Hopkins
Cleveland Clinic
Georgetown University
MUSC - south carolina
UC-irvine
Loma Linda CA
Cedars Sina CA
Vanderbilt
Rutgers
Brown Unversity
University of Washington
Wake Forest
Darthmouth
Yale

You are competitive for these programs.

Hi everyone,

Here are my stats:

COMLEX > 750
No research
SSP honors society
Good mix of ECs

SUNY upstate NY
Indiana University
Cooper - NY
Cincinnati OH
Toledo OH
Loyola
Ithica - mount sinai
Mayo clinic
Penn state hershey
Ohio State
Metro Cleveland
John Hopkins
Cleveland Clinic
Georgetown University
MUSC - south carolina
UC-irvine
Loma Linda CA
Cedars Sina CA
Vanderbilt
Rutgers
Brown Unversity
University of Washington
Wake Forest
Darthmouth
Yale

Nice mix of upper and mid tier programs. You should match. Add 3 more mid tier programs just to be extra cautious but it's likely unnecessary.

Hi y'all

MS3 here, wanted to have a rough understanding of where I stand, namely in the "tiers" of programs I would be a fair applicant for, as I dont have great insight into what is available for me.

Top 15 med school, probably bottom 50% of class
STEP1: 241 STEP2: 251
Clinical Rotation grades: All passes, High Pass in surgery
Electives: Honors in Anesthesia, Radiology, awaiting EM SubI and Genmed SubI
Good EC's, few posters and oral presentations, 1 pub in JAMA all on opioids and surgical outcomes.

As mentioned before, I would mainly like to know where I stand in terms of which programs would be considered a reach for me and what would be fair game. My clinical rotation grades were pretty poor and I am afraid that's holding me back. Thank you very much.

Hi y'all

MS3 here, wanted to have a rough understanding of where I stand, namely in the "tiers" of programs I would be a fair applicant for, as I dont have great insight into what is available for me.

Top 15 med school, probably bottom 50% of class
STEP1: 241 STEP2: 251
Clinical Rotation grades: All passes, High Pass in surgery
Electives: Honors in Anesthesia, Radiology, awaiting EM SubI and Genmed SubI
Good EC's, few posters and oral presentations, 1 pub in JAMA all on opioids and surgical outcomes.

As mentioned before, I would mainly like to know where I stand in terms of which programs would be considered a reach for me and what would be fair game. My clinical rotation grades were pretty poor and I am afraid that's holding me back. Thank you very much.

You'll be fine, apply to upper tier and some upper mid tiers to be safe (look elsewhere for suggestions it's ALL OVER the forum).

If I saw your application, I'd be wondering why you did so well on your steps and certain rotations and so middle of the road during the majority of rotations. I had several people like this in my med school class - and unfortunately they were lazy as crap, the type to sprint out of the hospital at the mere suggestion it might be time to go home, never went out of the way to do extra work, didn't read up on pathology outside of their narrow interest in X field...

Focus on getting some good letters from people who can vouch positively for you to avoid this perception.

3rd year DO student wanting to end up in northeast. NY, PA, NJ, CT, DE

248 USMLE
690 COMLEX
Don't have Step/Level 2 scores yet
Top 15% of class
DO school in south east
Great ECs

2 publications, few posters and oral presentations. None are anesthesia related
Mostly Honors, 2 HP, no passes

Can't tell if this is serious or humble brag...apply wherever you want man you'll likely get more interviews than you can afford.

Can't tell if this is serious or humble brag...apply wherever you want man you'll likely get more interviews than you can afford.

Yes I'm being serious...I just don't know how competitive the applicants are. I was shooting for rads but now I'm tossing up the idea for anesthesia. Just want to end up back in the north east. That's my main concern. Thanks for the advice.

Yes I'm being serious...I just don't know how competitive the applicants are. I was shooting for rads but now I'm tossing up the idea for anesthesia. Just want to end up back in the north east. That's my main concern. Thanks for the advice.

If your performance on step 2 is as good, probably anywhere within those states. Mix of reach and mid-tier places.
If take what my assessment at face value, then I would narrow geographic areas even more.
Good luck.

Any advice?

US IMG, starting 4th year in May
252 Step 1, scheduled to take Step 2 CK & CS this summer
Top 10-15% class rank
Honors on all rotations so far except Peds (A, or high pass)
Working on getting more involved in gas at the hospital where I am rotating (NYC area)

:)

Last edited:
Any advice?

Top 10-15% class rank
Working on getting more involved in gas at the hospital where I am rotating (NYC area)

My advice is to read through this forum thoroughly. You have the stats that could put you in position for a successful and stimulating medical career. Seriously, take the time to go through the posts of some long time users

Hello friends,

Was thinking GAS (before you all get mad--cause NRMP charting outcomes from last year said my COMLEX put me at ~85-90% chance of matching--I know that sounds pathetic, but just hear me out)

Im currently an OMS-III (not from a big name DO school)

My red flags:
- bottom 10% of class
- failed 1 class OMS-I, but remediated and passed
- STEP 1: 20X ; COMLEX 1: 52X
- not much research involvement; no awards (obviously)

Some positives (I guess):

- Doing well OMS-III year. Our school doesn't really do high pass/honors, but gives numerical grades. My lowest has been an 84 (FM, and Peds). Highest have been IM (97, 95) and Surgery (95). Grades are mainly determined by shelf exams, but my clinical/preceptor evaluations have all been very good too (lowest was a 90 in Peds)

- of course, planning on doing well on step 2, etc, etc.

I am completely screwed? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Any advice?

Top 10-15% class rank

Apply broadly, and you will be fine. Being an IMG will hurt you, but have a realistic expectation, and you should be able to match without any issue.

Hello friends,

Was thinking GAS (before you all get mad--cause NRMP charting outcomes from last year said my COMLEX put me at ~85-90% chance of matching--I know that sounds pathetic, but just hear me out)

Im currently an OMS-III (not from a big name DO school)

My red flags:
- bottom 10% of class
- failed 1 class OMS-I, but remediated and passed
- STEP 1: 20X ; COMLEX 1: 52X
- not much research involvement; no awards (obviously)

Some positives (I guess):

- Doing well OMS-III year. Our school doesn't really do high pass/honors, but gives numerical grades. My lowest has been an 84 (FM, and Peds). Highest have been IM (97, 95) and Surgery (95). Grades are mainly determined by shelf exams, but my clinical/preceptor evaluations have all been very good too (lowest was a 90 in Peds)

- of course, planning on doing well on step 2, etc, etc.

I am completely screwed? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Apply broadly, obviously don’t waste money and time with higher tier programs. Have a backup speciality, you did well in IM maybe it meant more than you realized. I’d suggest spend time, a lot of time to study for step 2. If you can bang out a 240 (probably an unrealistic goal), you have a much better chance. Do a few away at the places within your reach and kill it. No magic spell that will/can fix it.

Unless you have a few hundred thousands or million dollars to buy a few buildings at a school or somehow pay someone to take your step 2..... /s

260+ Step 1, top quartile at top 20 school but no publications. Any idea how many programs I should be applying to? Looking to pursue a career in academia so aiming for some big name programs.

I know my stats are competitive but haven't been able to find much information on chances for the top programs like MGH, Brighams, Duke, etc. for someone without research on the app. Thanks everyone!

260+ Step 1, top quartile at top 20 school but no publications. Any idea how many programs I should be applying to? Looking to pursue a career in academia so aiming for some big name programs.

I know my stats are competitive but haven't been able to find much information on chances for the top programs like MGH, Brighams, Duke, etc. for someone without research on the app. Thanks everyone!

Oh hey, I remember you from when I was applying to med school!

When I was doing some research on this, I got the impression that, for programs of that caliber, you have a good chance of receiving an interview if you have two of the following:
1. 250+ step 1 score
2. Good number (maybe 4+ iunno) of ERAS publications
3. top 20 school
4. AOA (or maybe top quartile)

I think you'll have more than a good chance.
Anyone willing to corroborate or add to this?

Last edited:
4th year DO student - applying gas and IM as backup

Step 1: 229
Step 2: 228 (idk what happened)
COMLEX Level 1: 627
COMLEX Level 2: score pending
No research/pubs
Decent volunteering experience
Some leadership
2nd quartile in class
Clerkships were mostly As, got 2 Bs
Sigma Sigma Phi

Realistically speaking, what are my chances (if any) of matching anesthesia with my drop in Step 2? Any programs I should look into?

4th year DO student - thinking of applying only Gas

Step 1: 225
Step 2: 245
Comlex level 1: 500
Comlex Level 2: taken, scores pending
~7 research publication: 2 papers and 5 abstracts, all non-anesthesiology related
bottom half in class rank, Clerkship all Pass, no honors
no shelf/class/boards failure

How many programs should I be applying to? I am thinking ~60-70 based on my stats and what programs will be within my reach?

No research/pubs
Some leadership
2nd quartile in class
Sigma Sigma Phi

Realistically speaking, what are my chances (if any) of matching anesthesia with my drop in Step 2? Any programs I should look into?

Just my two cents: most programs in chicago, san antonio, lubbock, michigan programs except the big one, smaller and community programs. Send out 40-50 apps and you'll probably be fine- you're probably gonna be lower tier programs but should have a pretty good shot at matching.

What's lower tier? Thats wildy subjective at best, google it, search it out, you'll figure it it out if you are a good researcher and can put 1 and 1 together.

Good luck

thinking of applying anesthesia only with some prelims

step 1: low-mid 220's
step 2: low-mid 230's

DO student in established school
no red flags.
third quartile
mostly passes third year. few honors.

buncha posters

couple aways at low tier programs set up.

If I go all in on anesthesiology, am I setting myself up to not match?

I am willing to go to ANY residency program.
ANYWHERE as long as I get to become an anesthesiologist.

thanks so much for reading and responding.

Last edited:

no red flags.
third quartile

buncha posters

MD PGY1 here who had similar stats and remembers the frustration.

I think you have a great shot. Looks like you are doing everything you need to. While your stats are a little below average, it's not insurmountable. The DO bias is real from what I've heard, but in general anesthesiology is DO friendly.

If anesthesiology is the only thing you can see yourself doing then I would go all in. I would probably apply to a ton of programs, but unfortunately you need to as DO either way. If you interview well/have strong interpersonal skills and get some strong letters on aways, I do think you would need a backup specialty. If you only get like 4-5 interviews you could start setting up a research year early in case you don't match for some weird reason. Or, if you could see yourself doing IM or something, you can dual apply. But that is a ton of work and money.

Also see how your aways go. They will usually have insight into how strong of an applicant you are.

Stop calling it “gas” please!

You’ll be fine for top tier. Don’t be a douche on the interview.

No research/pubs
Some leadership
2nd quartile in class
Sigma Sigma Phi

The Step 2 certainly doesn’t help. Are you from an established school or a new one - this makes a big difference. You’ll need to do an away or two and do well, and consider a backup specialty as well especially if you’re at a newer school.

4th year DO student - thinking of applying only Gas

Step 1: 225
Step 2: 245
Comlex level 1: 500
Comlex Level 2: taken, scores pending
~7 research publication: 2 papers and 5 abstracts, all non-anesthesiology related
bottom half in class rank, Clerkship all Pass, no honors
no shelf/class/boards failure

How many programs should I be applying to? I am thinking ~60-70 based on my stats and what programs will be within my reach?

Step scores are reasonable, COMLEX wasn’t but thankfully most of the MD programs honestly ignore it anyway. You’ll need to do an away or two, but the research will definitely help. Overall solid chance.

no red flags.
third quartile

buncha posters

Apply broadly, it’s definitely possible I’d absolutely focus your attention on your away rotations and make sure you do them at realistic programs. I think overall an average chance.

I know it's difficult to say, but can you guys chance me? Underdog posting on here for once. Not picky about location or prestige, just trying to match at a community anesthesiology program if possible.

Step 1 = 220
Comlex level 1 = 540
Comlex level 2 = 570
Comlex PE = Pass first try

DO, second quartile class rank, 4 research projects including 1 pub (post operative bleeding), no academic red flags/failures, community involvement

Any advice/help is much appreciated

You're not the first underdog to post here, don't be dramatic.

You'll likely have your best chance at lower tier (whatever that means) and community programs. Have a backup plan (TY, prelim, FM, IM...whatever).

Hello all,

I'm a fifth year MD medical student. I applied last cycle to EM and didn't get in, so I delayed graduation in order to shift my focus. After quite a bit of going back and forth, I'm going to be applying to anesthesia only this cycle. I'm not sure how I'll be treated as a reapplicant. I'll apply very broadly. WAMC?

MS1/2: Awards for academic performance
MS3: Honors > 50% of rotations
Step 1: 250's; Step 2: TBD
Research "experience" w/o pubs
EC's are weak
I'm unsure how my LOR's will turn out

Thanks so much!

Hello all,

I'm a fifth year MD medical student. I applied last cycle to EM and didn't get in, so I delayed graduation in order to shift my focus. After quite a bit of going back and forth, I'm going to be applying to anesthesia only this cycle. I'm not sure how I'll be treated as a reapplicant. I'll apply very broadly. WAMC?

MS1/2: Awards for academic performance
MS3: Honors > 50% of rotations
Step 1: 250's; Step 2: TBD
Research "experience" w/o pubs
EC's are weak
I'm unsure how my LOR's will turn out

Thanks so much!

Hmmm... how come you don’t have a Step 2 score as someone who already went through the Match? 250s on Step 1 is great, why didn’t the EM application work out - application mishaps (too many reaches?) maybe? How are you spending this “5th year” and what are you planning to get out of it? I’ll reserve judgement on this - on the surface you look fine but I am not sure we are getting the full story.

I'm an OMS-IV student who is looking to match into anesthesiology. I just got my Step 2 score and it dropped a lot (no idea how). Here are my scores:

Step 1: 241
COMLEX 1: 695
Step 2: 228
COMLEX 2: TBD
COMLEX 2 PE: Pass

I'm freaking out. I was hitting in the 240s on all of my practice tests and UWSAs, but now am afraid that I won't be able to match. What are my chances? How do I handle it when it's brought up in any interview I may get? My friend mentioned the possibility of delaying the release of my Step 2 score or submitting without it. Ideas?

Edit: I should also mention that I have great extracurriculars including being an anatomy TA, an ambassador for my school, lots of good volunteer and leadership experiences.

Last edited:
I'm an OMS-IV student who is looking to match into anesthesiology. I just got my Step 2 score and it dropped a lot (no idea how). Here are my scores:

Step 1: 241
COMLEX 1: 695
Step 2: 228
COMLEX 2: TBD
COMLEX 2 PE: Pass

I'm freaking out. I was hitting in the 240s on all of my practice tests and UWSAs, but now am afraid that I won't be able to match. What are my chances? How do I handle it when it's brought up in any interview I may get? My friend mentioned the possibility of delaying the release of my Step 2 score or submitting without it. Ideas?

Edit: I should also mention that I have great extracurriculars including being an anatomy TA, an ambassador for my school, lots of good volunteer and leadership experiences.

You can't submit without your step 2 score. Its all or nothing, and because of that you should submit it all. You could only delay the release if your actual score didn't come back until after Sept 15. Your step 1 is good and you didn't fail your step 2 so that should be good for most programs. I think you'll be alright

4th year U.S. MD student applying anesthesia. Looking to stay in Northeast. I'm applying broadly and would like to know the following:

1. My overall chances at matching?
2. Feedback on my application list?
3. Should I add or remove any programs?
4. Of the below programs, which would you consider to be "reach" programs. ?

Thank you.

Step 1: 223
Step 2: 230
3rd year rotations: Passed everything and honored 1 rotation and high pass in another one
Research: Published and presented at ASA
Other post-grad degrees: Law degree

Hershey
Cooper
Jefferson
Penn
Temple
Geisinger
Georgetown
George Washington
University of Maryland
Hackensack
Montefiore
Westchester
StonyBrook
RWJ
NJMS
St. Joes
Maimonides
NYP-Brooklyn
Hofstra
St. Lukes
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Yale
Beth Israel
UMASS
Brown
UVA

4th year US MD planning on staying near the east coast. I haven’t settled on a list of programs to apply to but I plan to apply for 45-50. Just wondering my overall chance of matching and figured I’d jump in since I saw similar stats above.

3rd year rotations: 1 honor, the rest pass
2 research projects but no pubs
No other post-grad education

Midwest DO with connections to Colorado. I would ultimately like to end up working in the Mountain West or PNW when I am done with residency/fellowship. Looking for feedback on the distribution of top-tier/ mid-tier/low-tier and prelim/TY programs. I'd like to cut back on the number of apps if possible. Am I applying to too many programs or is this an appropriate amount given the competitiveness of western programs and presence of DO bias?

DO Student
Step 1: >250
Step 2: >260
COMLEX 1: 739
COMLEX 2: 746
Honors in all clinical rotations
GHHS, SSP, Top 10%
1 publication prior to medical school in vascular surgery
Good ECs
Good LORs (1 Community anesthesia, 1 Academic Anesthesia/CC, 1 OBGYN, 1 Vascular surgery)

Top-tier
U Washington
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Hopkins
Stanford
Vanderbilt
U Michigan
Northwestern
Duke
U Chicago
UVA
Wash U
Penn
Pitt
Dartmouth

Middle-Tier
Colorado
Oregon
Virginia Mason
Utah
UC Davis
Loma Linda
USC
Baylor
Case Western
GWU
Indiana
MCW
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Iowa
Nebraska
Cincinnati
UTSW
UT Houston
Vermont
Maine Med
UNC
Wake Forest
Tufts
Thomas Jefferson
Temple

Lower Tier
Loyola
U Arizona
KU
U Missouri
UMKC
SLU
Henry Ford

Prelim (all IM)
St Joe IM (Denver)
U Colorado
U Washington Boise
U Arizona Phoenix
U Arizona Tucson
UNM
KU
Sinai Baltimore
Mercy Baltimore
Virginia Mason

TY
Presbyterian St. Lukes-Denver
Health One/Sky Ridge-Denver
Virginia Mason
Intermountain (Utah)

4th year U.S. MD student applying anesthesia. Looking to stay in Northeast. I'm applying broadly and would like to know the following:

1. My overall chances at matching?
2. Feedback on my application list?
3. Should I add or remove any programs?
4. Of the below programs, which would you consider to be "reach" programs. ?

Thank you.

3rd year rotations: Passed everything and honored 1 rotation and high pass in another one
Research: Published and presented at ASA
Other post-grad degrees: Law degree

Hershey
Cooper
Jefferson
Penn
Temple
Geisinger
Georgetown
George Washington
University of Maryland
Hackensack
Montefiore
Westchester
StonyBrook
RWJ
NJMS
St. Joes
Maimonides
NYP-Brooklyn
Hofstra
St. Lukes
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Yale
Beth Israel
UMASS
Brown
UVA

Overall very good chance - your JD will interest some folks and your ASA presentation will help as well.

Application list looks OK, but I admit I don't know a lot about NE programs in terms of competitive-ness.

Your reaches are the brand names: Penn, Beth Israel, Yale, UVA, NYU, Sinai, maybe Maryland and Jefferson. As long as you have an equal number of "community-based" programs I think you are OK.

4th year US MD planning on staying near the east coast. I haven’t settled on a list of programs to apply to but I plan to apply for 45-50. Just wondering my overall chance of matching and figured I’d jump in since I saw similar stats above.

3rd year rotations: 1 honor, the rest pass
2 research projects but no pubs
No other post-grad education

Apply broadly and work your own medical school program if you have one. Put in some community programs.

Midwest DO with connections to Colorado. I would ultimately like to end up working in the Mountain West or PNW when I am done with residency/fellowship. Looking for feedback on the distribution of top-tier/ mid-tier/low-tier and prelim/TY programs. I'd like to cut back on the number of apps if possible. Am I applying to too many programs or is this an appropriate amount given the competitiveness of western programs and presence of DO bias?

DO Student
Step 1: >250
Step 2: >260
COMLEX 1: 739
COMLEX 2: 746
Honors in all clinical rotations
GHHS, SSP, Top 10%
1 publication prior to medical school in vascular surgery
Good ECs
Good LORs (1 Community anesthesia, 1 Academic Anesthesia/CC, 1 OBGYN, 1 Vascular surgery)

Top-tier
U Washington
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Hopkins
Stanford
Vanderbilt
U Michigan
Northwestern
Duke
U Chicago
UVA
Wash U
Penn
Pitt
Dartmouth

Middle-Tier
Colorado
Oregon
Virginia Mason
Utah
UC Davis
Loma Linda
USC
Baylor
Case Western
GWU
Indiana
MCW
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Iowa
Nebraska
Cincinnati
UTSW
UT Houston
Vermont
Maine Med
UNC
Wake Forest
Tufts
Thomas Jefferson
Temple

Lower Tier
Loyola
U Arizona
KU
U Missouri
UMKC
SLU
Henry Ford

Prelim (all IM)
St Joe IM (Denver)
U Colorado
U Washington Boise
U Arizona Phoenix
U Arizona Tucson
UNM
KU
Sinai Baltimore
Mercy Baltimore
Virginia Mason

TY
Presbyterian St. Lukes-Denver
Health One/Sky Ridge-Denver
Virginia Mason
Intermountain (Utah)

You have great stats of course but you are applying to a TON of programs. I don't think you need to do this, at all. Especially the prelim/TY years - you are a great candidate for categorical spots are you looking for more advanced though? If so, why? There isn't much geographic consistency in your rank list - Virginia Mason, Baylor, UCSD and Maine Med almost couldn't be more far apart. Programs won't see this but you are setting yourself up to spend a LOT on travel costs.

If you want to live in a specific region afterwards you should aim to train in that area so take out the Arizona/UK/UM/UMKC/SLU etc if you want to live in PNW/Colorado. I'd take those out along with Maine Med, Vermont, Tufts and the like and insert some community programs in your desired area instead. Do you come from a school with a good track record of placing students in MD programs especially anesthesia or is it a newer school with nearly all DO program matches? This makes a very big difference.

Finally, you can have the best stats in the world but there is still definitely a DO bias at some of the top programs out there. Look at the "current resident" lists - if you don't see a DO (or only 1 or 2 across 4 years) then it may be exceptionally difficult to match there. Just an idea to cut your match list down.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted some feedback as to typical programs I should be shooting for. I’m mostly curious if my step score will preclude top academic programs.

US MD--preferably want to stay on the east coast or midwest.

Step 1: 234
Step 2: Pending
Mid tier school, class rank- top 50%.
3rd year rotations: mix of honors and high pass
6 publications, 6 abstracts, ASA presentation and award.
Good LORs. No red flags.
Other degrees- none.

Last edited:
Just wondering about how many programs I should apply to. I know my ECs and research is lacking. Also did average on Step 1.

US MD
Step 1: 233
Step 2: 257
Mid tier school, internally ranked
3rd year: mainly high pass, one honors
2 research projects, 3 poster presentations, no pubs
Scant volunteer ECs

Hmmm... how come you don’t have a Step 2 score as someone who already went through the Match? 250s on Step 1 is great, why didn’t the EM application work out - application mishaps (too many reaches?) maybe? How are you spending this “5th year” and what are you planning to get out of it? I’ll reserve judgement on this - on the surface you look fine but I am not sure we are getting the full story.

Sorry Dr. AdmiralChz, I honestly did not see that someone had replied. Regarding your questions:

-My Step 2 score is delayed, because I lack the courage to take the test. Not matching has definitely killed my self-confidence. Since I got no interview invites in ERAS, I expected to not match starting in November, which is when I was to take the test originally. I've been studying for it off and on since then with practice test scores as high as 268. I'm currently scheduled to take it at the end of this month, so hopefully I'll have a score by mid-to-late October.

-I'm not sure why EM didn't work out. I assume that my evaluations were the problem. However, my program director said my evaluations were "OK". The only thing I know for sure is that I have no academic red flags. Applied fairly broadly.

-MS5 - I decided to continue developing as a student and to shift focus to anesthesiology. EM LORs are departmental and specific to EM, so I needed a more rotations to complete letters for anesthesiology. After December, I'm going to be finishing up a research project/tutoring.