WAMC superthread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much emphasis is placed on class rank?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for another WAMC post! I'm a 4th year DO student from an established DO school applying anesthesiology this year and was pretty bummed when I received my step 2 score back. I'm wondering how much my drop in step 2 will affect my application and if I should apply to a backup specialty. Fortunately, I was able to set up 3 audition rotations and am hoping that will strengthen my application.

Step 1: 232
Step 2: 227
Research: 2 posters and 1 publication
Letters: 2 anesthesia, 1 cardio, 1 IM (neutral to good)
ECs: several volunteering and work experiences
Class rank: middle of the class

Hi guys

What are my chances
DO Student
Step 1: 205
Step 2 244

Comlex 1: 528
Comlex 2: 566

I ended up applying to close to 90 programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like the most recent WAMV thread from the search I think. Buuut my step 1 came back 218 and comlex level 1 547. Is it doomed? Those charting outcomes hit me like a brick, but then looking at the match percentages based on scores im seeing 77-78% odds of matching or something. Not sure what to think, with the average and range jumping up so much

WAMC:

Middle tier MD school

Preclincal - All honors
H in Neuro, Fam, Psych, Peds
HP in IM, Surgery, OBGYN

Step 1: 252
Step 2: TBD

Research: 1 Poster, 1 Abstract, 1 Publication

Hoping to match into UTSW, Baylor, UT Houston, or UTMB

Trying to figure out how many programs to apply to:

USMD-mid/low tier with no home program.
Step 1: 228
4-5 publications, IM/Peds/addiction related
Spanish speaking
Mix of P/HP/H in clinical rotations
2 strong letters from anesthesiologists, one from PD of IM at my school.

WAMC:

Middle tier MD school

Preclincal - All honors
H in Neuro, Fam, Psych, Peds
HP in IM, Surgery, OBGYN

Step 1: 252

Research: 1 Poster, 1 Abstract, 1 Publication

Hoping to match into UTSW, Baylor, UT Houston, or UTMB
Unless you can't interview decently (just average) your chances are 99% at one of those programs. I am assuming you are not felon or out on bond as well.

Can someone please chance me?

US MD western state
step 1: low 230's
step 2: high 250’s
4 H and 2 HP in third yeae
Research: fairly strong research. Multiple case reports outside anesthesia and a couple of papers in the works for anesthesia that are currently posters. Presenting at ASA.
Volunteer: average EC with good volunteer. Location: Southwest

I would love to stay in the southwest or the Midwest and wouldn't even mind ending up in the south. I don't have a home program so I know I will need to expand my boundaries. I have no preference for academic versus community.

What are my overall chances? What is a good number of programs to apply to?
Thank you all!

Can someone please chance me?

US MD western state
step 1: low 230's
step 2: high 250’s
4 H and 2 HP in third yeae
Research: fairly strong research. Multiple case reports outside anesthesia and a couple of papers in the works for anesthesia that are currently posters. Presenting at ASA.
Volunteer: average EC with good volunteer. Location: Southwest

I would love to stay in the southwest or the Midwest and wouldn't even mind ending up in the south. I don't have a home program so I know I will need to expand my boundaries. I have no preference for academic versus community.

What are my overall chances? What is a good number of programs to apply to?
Thank you all!
50 programs with at least 12-15 interviews. Avoid all top tier programs outside your preference area. Your odds of matching are quite good at a midtier program. Again, apply broadly to 50 programs.

Last edited:
Hi guys, What are my chances

DO Student
Step 1: Still debating if I should take it

Comlex 1: 506
Comlex 2: TBD

Third Year Grades: All Honors with one HP and one P (still don't know what happened here)
Letters: 1 anesthesia, 1 IM, 1 Cardio, 1 FM (very good to great)
ECs: several volunteering and work experiences
Class rank: Upper percentile of the class

WAMC​

USDO

Step 1: 225-229
COMLEX 1: ~540

COMLEX 2: TBD
1 pub from late 2019 2nd author. 1 poster presentation in undergrad from same research (can i count this as a 2nd research experience?)
Only did 2 rotations so far with "pass" grades (about average)
3rd quartile class rank for pre-clinical grades (Just barely below the 2nd quartile, all B's no failures).

What else should I focus on to have a good chance at matching GAS in NYC?

How much do clinical grades matter for gas? Was considering pursuing anesthesia, but my clinical grades are pretty bad. All passes (H/HP/P/F), H and HP in surgery and medicine. Go to top 20 MD school. Step 1 is a little above average for gas. Will likely be couples matching (IM). Thanks!

How much do clinical grades matter for gas? Was considering pursuing anesthesia, but my clinical grades are pretty bad. All passes (H/HP/P/F), H and HP in surgery and medicine. Go to top 20 MD school. Step 1 is a little above average for gas. Will likely be couples matching (IM). Thanks!

If you’re calling it gas, I’d put you on my DNR list. I can, because, you know I am in. You on the other hand, no.

But you’ll probably be fine, depends on your couple match partner’s stats and criteria. Clinical grades aren’t all that important. But can you explain the “F” in your grade?

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re calling it gas, I’d put you on my DNR list. I can, because, you know I am in. You on the other hand, no.

But you’ll probably be fine, depends on your couple match partner’s stats and criteria. Clinical grades aren’t all that important. But can you explain the “F” in your grade?
Thank you for the response
My apologies for the faux pas!

“F” meaning fail or incomplete, I don’t know what they call it officially, but essentially just not passing is what I meant by it.

Partner is above average for their specialty in terms of stats, research, etc. We aren’t picky at all about match location, we would just like to be together.

To clarify since my first post was written poorly: my school grades on an honors/high pass/pass basis. I have honors in surgery, HP in medicine, and passes in FM, peds, OB, psych, neuro. Honors in clinical
Electives, but those are expected. I’ve been told historically it’s a “hard grading” school but have no data to actually back it up, top 20 US MD, no internal rankings to my knowledge. Step 1 is above average based on charting outcomes 2020 for anesthesia. Couples matching where SO is above average applicant for IM. As far as research I have a couple pubs from undergrad and some in the works and posters/presentation from med school but none in anesthesia as I decided late after switching my interest from surgery.

My biggest question was if my clinical grades would make it difficult to match if we applied broadly?

thank you!

“F” meaning fail or incomplete, I don’t know what they call it officially, but essentially just not passing is what I meant by it.

Partner is above average for their specialty in terms of stats, research, etc. We aren’t picky at all about match location, we would just like to be together.

To clarify since my first post was written poorly: my school grades on an honors/high pass/pass basis. I have honors in surgery, HP in medicine, and passes in FM, peds, OB, psych, neuro. Honors in clinical
Electives, but those are expected. I’ve been told historically it’s a “hard grading” school but have no data to actually back it up, top 20 US MD, no internal rankings to my knowledge. Step 1 is above average based on charting outcomes 2020 for anesthesia. Couples matching where SO is above average applicant for IM. As far as research I have a couple pubs from undergrad and some in the works and posters/presentation from med school but none in anesthesia as I decided late after switching my interest from surgery.

My biggest question was if my clinical grades would make it difficult to match if we applied broadly?

thank you!

You’re good. You will match, where, that’s the question.

Reactions: 1 users

thank you!

You will match. The best thing in your favor is that your H and HP are in the two that probably carry the most weight. Do an M4 anesthesia elective somewhere and earn H, do well on Step 2, be normal on interviews, and I think you will be golden to match somewhere decent.

You will match. The best thing in your favor is that your H and HP are in the two that probably carry the most weight. Do an M4 anesthesia elective somewhere and earn H, do well on Step 2, be normal on interviews, and I think you will be golden to match somewhere decent.
Thank you! Is there anything else I can do to show my interest in anesthesia or that would help my chances of matching? Would it be worth to try and get involved in anesthesia research since my only research now is surgery?

Hi guys,

I want to apply for next years match and need your help determining the significance of a single failed exam (1 attempt, successful remediation, but delay of 6 months in total academic time). A short run through of the profile:

Non-US IMG (visa required)
YOG 2020
Step 1: 250+
Step 2: 255+
3 PUBMED indexed research publications (co-author)
2 months of electives, 3 months of observerships. (specialty specific)

I know this probably doesn't matter as much, but following the failure (again, 1 subject, failed by 1.5%, successfully remediated on second attempt. Subject was Pre-Clinical) there were no more failures in ANY subjects, with an immediate rise of over 15% over-all raw percentage evidenced on transcripts. Its bothering me that this 6 months delay will come up on the MSPE, and I want to figure out, through your opinions, just how screwed I really am. Not that screwed? Dead in the water as a non-US IMG hoping for anesthesiology?

Hi guys,

I want to apply for next years match and need your help determining the significance of a single failed exam (1 attempt, successful remediation, but delay of 6 months in total academic time). A short run through of the profile:

Non-US IMG (visa required)
YOG 2020
Step 1: 250+
Step 2: 255+
3 PUBMED indexed research publications (co-author)
2 months of electives, 3 months of observerships. (specialty specific)

I know this probably doesn't matter as much, but following the failure (again, 1 subject, failed by 1.5%, successfully remediated on second attempt. Subject was Pre-Clinical) there were no more failures in ANY subjects, with an immediate rise of over 15% over-all raw percentage evidenced on transcripts. Its bothering me that this 6 months delay will come up on the MSPE, and I want to figure out, through your opinions, just how screwed I really am. Not that screwed? Dead in the water as a non-US IMG hoping for anesthesiology?

More than 50% ? Questionable. Your numbers are good. But a fail can really sink you, especially you need visa.

The best things you can do…. Where you did observership, if they have a residency. Where your other classmates/school alumni does/did their residency.

If you haven’t gotten any bites by now, you should think about other specialities.

Where did you do med school. Just wondering.

Good luck.

Below average students from top 20 med schools match into top anesthesia programs all the time so you should have no problem matching a top anesthesia program. Also you got an H and a HP in the 2 most important rotations. Remember the top 10 anesthesia programs collectively have to fill 200-250spots. The next 10 programs also have to fill an equal number of spots. That’s a lot of spots to fill.

thank you!
You will both MATCH together. Apply to the same 50 programs and hope for 12-15 interviews. I expect you will Match at a very good program but it may not be a top 10 one. That said, almost every program in the top 30 will train you very well. Good luck and if you both interview well I expect you will Match at one your higher ranked programs.

Below average students from top 20 med schools match into top anesthesia programs all the time so you should have no problem matching a top anesthesia program. Also you got an H and a HP in the 2 most important rotations. Remember the top 10 anesthesia programs collectively have to fill 200-250spots. The next 10 programs also have to fill an equal number of spots. That’s a lot of spots to fill.

You will both MATCH together. Apply to the same 50 programs and hope for 12-15 interviews. I expect you will Match at a very good program but it may not be a top 10 one. That said, almost every program in the top 30 will train you very well. Good luck and if you both interview well I expect you will Match at one your higher ranked programs.

Firstly, thank you so much for the responses. So new updates, some good, some bad:

The bad news, Step 1: When I orginally posted I was waiting for my step 1 score and was tracking well above what I ended up scoring unfortunately, ended up with a 230 on the real deal. So that will now be below average for anesthesia.

The good news, clinical grades: End of year adjustments helped me and I have a couple more HP now as opposed to passes.

The curveball, Rankings: To mine and many of my classmates surprise, we do have quartile rankings. We don't know them yet, but I am expecting 3rd quartile, but could be 2nd or 4th. Definitely not 1st.

Also, just to clarify since it might change things: I go to a T20, my SO goes to a low mid tier MD.

Does this change anything about your advice? Maybe we are both just being anxious for no reason, but we were planning to apply to WELL over 50 programs to match and not really considering anywhere in the top 30 let alone top 10 (looking at residency explorer many of them say their step 1 average is 245+ for anesthesia) I figured applying to them would likely just be a donation on my behalf. We genuinely just want to match together somewhere that will train us, neither of us want to do academics, research, or care about prestiege.

Thanks again for all the help!

Firstly, thank you so much for the responses. So new updates, some good, some bad:

The bad news, Step 1: When I orginally posted I was waiting for my step 1 score and was tracking well above what I ended up scoring unfortunately, ended up with a 230 on the real deal. So that will now be below average for anesthesia.

The good news, clinical grades: End of year adjustments helped me and I have a couple more HP now as opposed to passes.

The curveball, Rankings: To mine and many of my classmates surprise, we do have quartile rankings. We don't know them yet, but I am expecting 3rd quartile, but could be 2nd or 4th. Definitely not 1st.

Also, just to clarify since it might change things: I go to a T20, my SO goes to a low mid tier MD.

Does this change anything about your advice? Maybe we are both just being anxious for no reason, but we were planning to apply to WELL over 50 programs to match and not really considering anywhere in the top 30 let alone top 10 (looking at residency explorer many of them say their step 1 average is 245+ for anesthesia) I figured applying to them would likely just be a donation on my behalf. We genuinely just want to match together somewhere that will train us, neither of us want to do academics, research, or care about prestiege.

Thanks again for all the help!
230 from a top 20 MD will be totally fine. 50 programs should be more than enough for you.

I was a 220/240 DO applied 3 years ago to 75 programs and received 14 interviews. Things may have changed since COVID/virtual interviews but my point still stands that you'll be totally fine with those numbers.

Hi all,

I am a US MD at a T30 school in midwest with a 240-245 step 1, havent taken step 2 yet.
As far as research goes I have 4 accepted abstracts in EM but related to anesthesia with hopefully a pub from it. I also have 2 book chapters and a poster presentation at a local med school research day. Working on a case report rn.
Clinical grades have all been HP so far.
Hope to secure some good letters during anesthesia AIs.
Have a couple volunteer experiences and 1-2 leadership things.

Would love any advice in terms of chances at top programs.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am a US MD at a T30 school in midwest with a 240-245 step 1, havent taken step 2 yet.
As far as research goes I have 4 accepted abstracts in EM but related to anesthesia with hopefully a pub from it. I also have 2 book chapters and a poster presentation at a local med school research day. Working on a case report rn.
Clinical grades have all been HP so far.
Hope to secure some good letters during anesthesia AIs.
Have a couple volunteer experiences and 1-2 leadership things.

Would love any advice in terms of chances at top programs.

Thanks!
Your chances are better if you put in an application.

Could someone WAMC me please? Already starting to dread next year's cycle after hearing about how tough the current one has been.

-Red flags: Failed anatomy during first term MS1. Remediated that summer.
-USMD attending a state school ranked in the 50s. Non-minority in medicine
-Step 1: 239
-Step 2: TBD
-pre-clinical ranking: 4th quartile
-Clerkships: Honors in IM/Psych; HP in EM; P in surgery/neurology/OB; Peds/FM TBD
-ECs: minimal; membership in the anesthesia interest group + a student wellness group; no leadership roles
-Volunteering experiences: 4-5 (student clinics, Covid vaccine drives, etc)
-Research: Nothing at the moment; planning 2 pain medicine projects + a case report over the next few months/summer.
-Didn't get to rotate on anesthesia during MS3. Planning on doing so for MS4 + an away rotation in the same state. I plan to get most/all of my rec letters from here.

How are my chances looking, especially given my red flag? Any tips on what to focus on/what my strategy should be for applying?

Could someone WAMC me please?

-USMD attending a midwest state school. Asian
-Step 1: 223
-pre-clinical ranking: no clue somewhere middle of the class or 3rd?
-Clerkships: Honors surgery. Pass everything else.
-ECs: 5 leadership roles
-Volunteering experiences: 2 (student clinics, Covid vaccine drives, etc)
-Research: Currently doing a systematic review with the surgery resident and hoping to publish/present a poster at a regional conference. Did 1 research 1 year. Also have 2 research experiences during undergrad but im not sure if that will count.
Got a letter from a program director in anesthesia but theres no home program. Planning to stay in the midwest but really want to match Texas if possible. No tie in the state, just want somewhere warmer.

Any tips on what to focus on/what my strategy should be for applying?

Could someone WAMC me please?

-USMD attending a midwest state school. Asian
-Step 1: 223
-pre-clinical ranking: no clue somewhere middle of the class or 3rd?
-Clerkships: Honors surgery. Pass everything else.
-ECs: 5 leadership roles
-Volunteering experiences: 2 (student clinics, Covid vaccine drives, etc)
-Research: Currently doing a systematic review with the surgery resident and hoping to publish/present a poster at a regional conference. Did 1 research 1 year. Also have 2 research experiences during undergrad but im not sure if that will count.
Got a letter from a program director in anesthesia but theres no home program. Planning to stay in the midwest but really want to match Texas if possible. No tie in the state, just want somewhere warmer.

Any tips on what to focus on/what my strategy should be for applying?
Get a 240 or higher on Step-2 so you have chance of matching at a midtier program.

Long shot here but looking to apply next cycle

35 yo previously graduated #1 FM residency in 2020. Have been working locums hospitalist/ER through the COVID response. Worked in all the disaster response areas that came about. I graduated from an unopposed FM residency and I attained skills in intubating, arterial lines, central lines, all of the medicine procedures. Worked my curriculum to be ICU heavy (this is what I found that I was loving the most while in residency). I spent a year working a week or two a month in the ICU at my home institution after graduation while doing locums(as noted above). My mentor was anesthesia/CC trained. I currently work as a hospitalist and ER physician. I found I love to do this stuff so much. I am looking to apply back into residency for anesthesia. However, I don't have the best step scores though.

Are step scores going to matter this upcoming year?
Step 1: 208; Honestly, I missed my entire first section on the Step exam; I accidently clicked it forward and gave up one of my blocks. I chose not to retake because everything was a build up for that day.
Step 2: 222, CK: Passed
Step3: 220 I think.
Also, not the best standardized test taker but I absolutely work my a$$ off to be better and to learn. I really enjoy learning and would like to continue to take care of critical patients via anesthesia in the operating room or the ICU.

Research: 3-4 Case reports, no actual bench research

I would really entertain a CA-1 position but I understand that may not be a reality. Looking to apply mainly on the east coast (mid-atlantic to south east).

Thanks for your help! I do appreciate you all!

Long shot here but looking to apply next cycle

35 yo previously graduated #1 FM residency in 2020. Have been working locums hospitalist/ER through the COVID response. Worked in all the disaster response areas that came about. I graduated from an unopposed FM residency and I attained skills in intubating, arterial lines, central lines, all of the medicine procedures. Worked my curriculum to be ICU heavy (this is what I found that I was loving the most while in residency). I spent a year working a week or two a month in the ICU at my home institution after graduation while doing locums(as noted above). My mentor was anesthesia/CC trained. I currently work as a hospitalist and ER physician. I found I love to do this stuff so much. I am looking to apply back into residency for anesthesia. However, I don't have the best step scores though.

Are step scores going to matter this upcoming year?
Step 1: 208; Honestly, I missed my entire first section on the Step exam; I accidently clicked it forward and gave up one of my blocks. I chose not to retake because everything was a build up for that day.
Step 2: 222, CK: Passed
Step3: 220 I think.
Also, not the best standardized test taker but I absolutely work my a$$ off to be better and to learn. I really enjoy learning and would like to continue to take care of critical patients via anesthesia in the operating room or the ICU.

Research: 3-4 Case reports, no actual bench research

I would really entertain a CA-1 position but I understand that may not be a reality. Looking to apply mainly on the east coast (mid-atlantic to south east).

Thanks for your help! I do appreciate you all!

What’s #1 FM residency? If a big academic center, possible have your PD/chairman to talk to anesthesia PD?

Will be tough, not impossible….

Hi all. 3rd year USDO Indian student in NY.
Step1: 230
Comlex Level 1: 621
Step2: Taking in June
Pre-Clinical Ranking: Likely middle of the pack
Clerkships: Mostly HPs, 1 Honors, 1 Pass
ECs: Minimal; Part of the anesthesia DO club at school, A-cappella group as well
Research: 1 experience during medical school; 1 case report in progress
LoRs: Currently waiting on a FM and IM letter, will have IM chair letter; Expecting to have two anesthesia rotations in the beginning of 4th year, hoping for letter

No red flags that I'm aware of, hoping to stay on East Coast. WAMC?

Hi all. 3rd year USDO Indian student in NY.
Step1: 230
Comlex Level 1: 621
Step2: Taking in June
Pre-Clinical Ranking: Likely middle of the pack
Clerkships: Mostly HPs, 1 Honors, 1 Pass
ECs: Minimal; Part of the anesthesia DO club at school, A-cappella group as well
Research: 1 experience during medical school; 1 case report in progress
LoRs: Currently waiting on a FM and IM letter, will have IM chair letter; Expecting to have two anesthesia rotations in the beginning of 4th year, hoping for letter

No red flags that I'm aware of, hoping to stay on East Coast. WAMC?
Score a 240 on Step 2 and you should match somewhere on the East Coast.

Apologies in advance for a post that may be a bit irritating- I remember when I was applying for med school that I saw posts like the one I'm about to make and got a little peeved. I've worked pretty hard in med school. Originally wanted to do a surgical sub but switched late to anesthesiology once I realized that I didn't actually want to be a surgeon.

I know by sheer numbers that my chances of matching are good but I'm wondering specifically if I'll be looked at by top 30 programs in the Midwest/Northeast when I have few ties there. Switched pretty late so chances are I won't be able to secure away rotations before interview season, although I'm hopeful the signal system will work in my favor this year.

-MD state school in Texas, ORM
-Step 1 mid 250s
-Step 2 mid 250s
-School ranking n/a
-Honored 4/7 clerkships, including IM and surgery
-Research: 4 pubs (none first author), 20+ oral and poster presentations, all in surgery/surgical sub
-5 leadership roles, 5 volunteer experiences
-LoRs will probably be from a general surgeon I've worked closely with since M1, IM department letter, and 1-2 anesthesiologists I hope to be working with these next few months.

Thanks!

Step 1: 246
Step 2: 258
M3 grades: Honored everything except pediatrics and surgery (got commendation for them instead). No negative comments anywhere in my evals.
Research: 1 presentation, 1 submission for publication
Letters: Hoping to get 2 decent letters, and have 1 IM letter from an attending who wrote super nice evals for me
ECs: Average to above average. Various volunteering, lots of hobbies and interests.
Class rank: "excellent"

Basically I have very minimal research, average+ ECs, decent scores.

Was mostly hoping to go for UPMC or a program with the right balance between good training and good lifestyle.

Hi! Student from mid tier USMD in the NE.

Step 1: 255-260
Step 2: 265-270
Grades: All honors
Research: 2 pubs (was lower on author list) and 2 poster abstracts
ECs: minimal volunteering and clubs but plenty of hobbies

Should have fairly solid letters by the end of the summer.

Trying to get an idea of what my target schools would look like and how many programs to apply to. Thanks!!!

Trying to get an idea of what my target schools would look like and how many programs to apply to. Thanks!!!
The average applicant applies to over 60 programs these days. But, you aren't the average applicant. The bottom tier programs won't interview you unless you can list a reason why you want to Match there. For example, you have a free condo in that location. So, I would say apply to 30-40 programs and interview at 12-15. As where you apply that is up to you as your stats are good enough for every program in the USA.

Applicants to anesthesiology, for example, submitted an average of 54 applications each in the 2020 cycle. In the 2022 cycle, the average number of applications was 62 -- a 15% jump.

Application numbers have increased even among less competitive disciplines. Candidates for internal medicine -- which does not typically fill all available residency spots -- applied to an average of 73 applications this cycle, up from 66 in 2020.

1655554350647.png

Applying this fall, and currently planning to apply to only categorical positions. Is this a bad strategy? If programs have both cat/adv positions should I be applying to both? Thanks in advance

For perspective, I am a decently strong applicant with 255-260 step 1, step 2 pending, all honors 3rd year, good letters, but minimal research experience.

Applying this fall, and currently planning to apply to only categorical positions. Is this a bad strategy? If programs have both cat/adv positions should I be applying to both? Thanks in advance

For perspective, I am a decently strong applicant with 255-260 step 1, step 2 pending, all honors 3rd year, good letters, but minimal research experience.
As long as you apply to 30 categorical programs and you leave your sniper rifle at home the odds favor your acceptance.

Anyone who wants to compare the 2023 Match with 2019/2020 is doing you a disservice. The Match is more competitive these days as the sheer number of med students trying to secure a residency spot anywhere outnumbers the openings. Also, Anesthesiology has moved up in desirability vs EM due to the job market situation where anesthesiologists are in demand. Starting salaries and the demand for newly trained anesthesiologists are high right now. That said, the statistics on matching this specialty don’t lie so apply broadly based on your own individual stats. For those with lower than average stats the key to matching is by applying to 80 programs and avoiding the top 30. This means every program except the top 30 for those applicants. For middle tier applicants with average stats focus heavily On mid tier programs and send out 70 applications. If you get 12-15 interviews the odds heavily favor you will match at one of those programs. Good luck

For middle tier applicants with average stats focus heavily On mid tier programs and send out 70 applications. If you get 12-15 interviews the odds heavily favor you will match at one of those programs. Good luck

How much does med school rank play into this? I'm an average applicant or slightly below average, but our school tells us to apply to 20-25 places. I'm couples matching so I was planning on applying to around 70-80, but wondering if I should bump it up even more after this.

How much does med school rank play into this? I'm an average applicant or slightly below average, but our school tells us to apply to 20-25 places. I'm couples matching so I was planning on applying to around 70-80, but wondering if I should bump it up even more after this.
Class rank matters as do letters of recommendation and other factors. Your interview matters as well. If you are an average applicant 80 programs is a really good number in terms of applications. Can you do 90? Sure, but I doubt it changes your odds of success.

Step 1: 255-260, Step 2: 255-260, top ~30 MD. Anesthesia project, no publication. Previous research in separate fields including a publication, neurology related. Half honors, half HP. Decent letters. Can I get away with sending like 30 applications, mostly applying to top 30ish programs?
YEs, the odds heavily favor you matching at a top 30 program. But, just to be safe how about applying to an additional 10 mid tier programs as a safety net? These days 40 applications just isn't a big deal. Then, you can be more selective about which programs you actually interview at for a position. 15 interviews should pretty much guarantee a MATCH. Remember, the number of interviews matters much, much more than the number of applications.

USMD at mid tier school. Step 1 pass. Step 2 245-250. Minimal research, one publication in unrelated field. Honors on all 3rd year clerkships. Top quartile of class. Good letters, hopefully one will be from dep chair. Hoping to match in my region, SE. Thoughts?

USMD at mid tier school. Step 1 pass. Step 2 245-250. Minimal research, one publication in unrelated field. Honors on all 3rd year clerkships. Top quartile of class. Good letters, hopefully one will be from dep chair. Hoping to match in my region, SE. Thoughts?
High likely you match at a mid tier program, but you need to send out 80 applications. Your Step 1 is low and below average for mid tier programs. Your grades and Class rank move you up. Overall, I think you can match at a mid tier program in the SE. Your list should also include programs in the Southwest as I recommend at least 2 regions of the country not just one. Once the interviews start coming then you can be more selective but still try to get 15 interviews.