This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdenineThomasPhosphate

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I am set on getting into an MD program in the US. I posted something very similar to this before, but wanted a list and criticism now that I have my MCAT score.

I went to a community college for years, and didn't really apply myself. I ended up with a 3.4 or something. I applied myself at my State University after one mediocre semester and showed strong upward grade trends, getting A's in all of my upper level science classes. My GPA upon graduating from my university was a 3.86, summa cum laude, but cumulatively, including my community college GPA, it is about a 3.7. My science GPA is 3.6-3.7.

My MCAT was a 514 (128/125/130/131). I'm not so stoked on the CARS, but I'm very happy with my composite score.

I have no research experience.

What I'm worried about is my EC's and leadership. In the community college I was a member of the aviation club for 2 years. I also did cross country for one season, then started and captained an outdoor track team for a season, but we lost funding and didn't exist next year. I participated in the swimming club at my university for my last semester. I graduated in 2016, have been working as a Per Diem PCA since December 2014. I have about 2,100+ hours as a PCA (I usually work full time hours). I'll most likely have around 2,500 by the time I apply.

I think starting/being captain to a track team shows leadership, but it was only one semester. I have trained people in my PCA job, and in my old job I acted as a manager when my bosses were out of town as well as trained new employees.

After I graduated in Spring of 2016 I worked as a PCA and as a waiter for the next year. I started volunteering in July of 2017. I volunteer in an addiction helpline, as a volunteer fire fighter, and cleaning up parks around my county. I have like 100+ hours on the helpline, maybe 40+ as a fire fighter, and 12 in the parks. All of those I will continue to build time in. I will actually become the secretary for the fire company in April (just in time for Medical School Applications). I'm not so happy with how long it took me to start volunteering after I finished school.

I currently have 32 hours shadowing 3 different Doctors, and already have more scheduled. I plan on having 80 hours of shadowing at least 5 different Doctors by application time.

I am confident in my LOR's. 3 from Professors, one from my boss at the hospital, one from a Doctor I know personally and have shadowed (I think this one will be the strongest one), and will be getting one from my school's Pre-Health Committee.

I'm a NY resident, male, caucasian, and have no one related to me in the Health care field.

My list is (I'll apply to more, probably like 25 schools):
Albany
Upstate
Buffalo
Stoney Brook
Rochester
Either Arizona school
University of Colorado
Brown (that's my reach school)
University of Nevada
Oregon University
University of New Mexico
University of South Dakota
University of Utah
University of Vermont
University of Washington

I'd like to stay in NY if possible, but quite frankly I'll go anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know a lot about the schools listed but University of Washington accepts very few out of region applicants. Its common for the state schools to have heavy instate biases. To optimize your chances of getting in, you might want to take a look at the MSAR and add schools that accept a substantial amount of OOS students.

Reactions: 1 user
Either Arizona school
University of Colorado
University of Nevada
Oregon University
University of New Mexico
University of South Dakota
University of Utah
University of Vermont
University of Washington
You can pretty much drop all of these. If you want, maybe keep Vermont, but all these schools have heavy IS bias.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have many state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
California University (new school)
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Kaiser, Roseman)

You have many state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
California University (new school)
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Kaiser, Roseman)

Thanks for the feedback!