This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avk_five

Reaction score
Date of submission: June 16th
Overall GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.71( still can improve 2 general bio on fall semester) and some recommended courses
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA, 21TS, 19Bio, 23GC, 22OC, 22QR, 16RC( not native learning English from 2.5 years ago), 27PAT
State of Residence: CA

Major: History
Minor: None

Reapplicant? Yes

Shadowing Experience: 3 00 as dental assistant in periodontist office
Volunteering Experience: 80 in dental program
Research: 2 as an assistant and collecting data
Relevant Honors or Awards: Magna Cum Laude
LOR type and strength: letters from 2professor (very strong), 1 dentist (very strong), 1 volunteer supervisor (good).
School list:
  • USC
  • NYU
  • UCLA
  • Columbia
  • Colorado
  • Uop
  • Unlv
  • Western

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is strong, and your DAT is good too. I would check with the school's you're applying to make sure they don't have an RC cutoff. I would usually recommend a retake with an RC under 17 but your overall DAT is sound. The other important thing you should know is that NYU, USC, Columbia are by no means financially reasonable, especially the first two which are usually considered the MOST expensive dental schools in the country! You'll likely be more than 600k in debt if you go to NYU or USC, especially when you factor in the living costs in those respective areas. With your stats I would apply more broadly and strongly reconsider applying to those schools. I know how difficult it can be applying as a CA resident, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Imo apply to every dental school that accepts online coursework. You stand at a disadvantage with a 16 RC. I’d normally tell people in this situation to apply to 14-15 schools total, in which all schools are in state or oos friendly. And the above person is right not sure where you got your info but nyu and usc are among the most expensive. Uop is also very pricey. So I recommend the adea guide/explorer to dental schools to determine each school’s actual tuition costs and costs of attendance. That being said, nyu and usc are good safety schools so don’t rescind these applications.

Reactions: 1 user