Wanted: Feedback on Drexel's PMED program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingbridge

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am soliciting feedback on the Drexel Evening Pre-med (PMED) program. Note this is not the IMS/MMS program I am seeking feedback on which has been discussed here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=168926 . The PMED program is described on DU's web site here: http://www.drexel.edu/med/ims/epbpm.asp .

I went to Drexel for another grad degree a few years back and some of the complaints re facilities made by others on this board are well-taken. I did learn that at Drexel like at most places, it really helps to know people "on the inside". Universities in general are a lot like military dictatorships; one needs 'friends' to get along. DU is no exception.

But aside from that, re the content, quality, and value-to-the-student, what do people have to say about the PMED program? The big thing that draws me back to Drexel is simply the timing of the courses. Classes offered 2x/week 6:00-9:00 PM - I am not aware of any other college that offers that for post-bacc pre-med work. Every other place I have checked says basically, "Hey, we don't care of you're 35 and married w/ children, you must quit your day job and *devote yourself fully*!", which means classes from 8:00 AM until 1:00 PM during the week.

Honestly, it won't be until 2020 when America wakes up and realizes that there will not be/are not enough drs. to go around. By then, it will be too late. Well, anyway....

Members don't see this ad.

I think this program is great! I just finished it in December, and am now taking the free MCAT class they offer. I think the professors are awesome, fair, and willing to help you with any trouble you might have. The administration is super nice and, contrary to what you might read, I've always found them willing to help me with whatever I need. The timing is totally convenient (though, you are actually in class three days a week 6-9 because you have labs on alternating weeks for both classes). I'm applying to Drexel's linkage program right now, and am really hoping I end up with it. Let me know if you have any more questions! :thumbup:

UnskinnyBop said:
I think this program is great! I just finished it in December, and am now taking the free MCAT class they offer. I think the professors are awesome, fair, and willing to help you with any trouble you might have. The administration is super nice and, contrary to what you might read, I've always found them willing to help me with whatever I need. The timing is totally convenient (though, you are actually in class three days a week 6-9 because you have labs on alternating weeks for both classes). I'm applying to Drexel's linkage program right now, and am really hoping I end up with it. Let me know if you have any more questions! :thumbup:

Not the OP, but I have been wondering how the linkage apps are evaluated. Does someone w/ crappy undergrad grades stand a chance, is it based primarily (even strictly) on performance in the postbacc program? The chance to skip the glide year and streamline this process somewhat sounds great. Not to mention the well-conceived scheduling of classes in this program -- evenings, done in a year. Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that they definitely evaluate both. I think the performance in the post-bacc is given much more weight than undergrad. You have to have a 3.65 post-bacc GPA to be considered for linkage (I think that's the number...). They are also pretty heavy on volunteer stuff. Hopefully, they'll look past my bizarro undergrad thing... ;)

I'm totally with you on linkage being awesome. The thought of working at Comcast for another year while applying and interviewing is nightmarish! Oh please oh please oh please oh please let me get it!! :thumbup:

The program is 2 years or 1.5 years? And did you have any of the sciences done? Do you know if they work around if you have one or two of them out of the way and allow you to take upper level classes?

I'm applying to penn but considering appling to drexel as well ...

mshheaddoc said:
And did you have any of the sciences done? Do you know if they work around if you have one or two of them out of the way and allow you to take upper level classes?

I have the same question: is there any flexibility to take only some of the required classes or they have a set schedule that everyone follows? Let’s say - can you schedule Chem II and Physics II for the Summer and then take Org I & II the following Fall and Spring???

It is actually 1.5 years. You can extend it to a full two by taking the free MCAT prep course they offer when you finish (like I'm doing right now). I know that they definitely let you skip classes you've already had, but I don't think you are eligible for linkage if you do. I, for one, had taken gen chem before and gotten A's both semesters, but since I wanted the linkage I just repeated it. There are a couple of people who had already had some classes and didn't repeat them at Drexel, so you can go either way.

As far as upper-division classes go, I believe you can do them at Drexel during the day if you like.

The Penn program is pretty nice- I almost applied there. I live two blocks away from the Hahnemann campus at Drexel (where the PMED classes are), though, so that was a big factor for me in deciding! ;)

Edit: Didn't see Roman's post before writing. The schedule for the program classes is pretty fixed. You take Chem 1 and Physics1 in the fall, Chem 2 and Physics 2 in the spring, Orgo 1 and Bio 1 in the summer, and then Orgo 2 and Bio2 the next fall. That's the only way you can take them within the program. I think you could possibly take some at Drexel during the day out of order, but I'm not sure. Our program is really small- there are three professors and seven students- so there aren't different sections of classes or anything.

UnskinnyBop said:
There are a couple of people who had already had some classes and didn't repeat them at Drexel, so you can go either way.

Thanks for the info! But would all of the classes be available each term?

UnskinnyBop said:

I just got into Drexel's evening post-bacc program and I am now in the process of deciding between Drexel and NYU. Can you tell me a little bit about your experience? How big are the classes? How many hours of work per week? If you work hard and put in the time, is it relatively easy to get the grades you need for their linkage program? Also, I am from NY, do you know what the housing situation is like? Is it best to get an apartment or live in the dorms? Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Katie

Hi Katie,
My classes were really small- only about seven people! I think the class below me has more like ten-fifteen. It's pretty nice- you get a lot of individual attention this way.
As for time put in... I can't say for everyone. I'm not a huge studier. I worked full-time while I did this program, and I guess I put in an average of about five hours a week studying. Except before a physics test, when I'd take the day off from work and just study all day. Some people had to study more than I did, though- it really depends on you.
To get the linkage program, you need a 3.4 for Drexel and a 3.65 for Robert Wood Johnson. I think everyone in my program got at least a 3.65. I've been conditionally accepted to Drexel and am just waiting for MCAT score to come out to "seal the deal".
Overall, I think this program is awesome. Good luck!!! PM me if you have more questions! :thumbup:

Hi. I have been following this post for a while now and had some questions. I have been accepted to a bunch of post bacs, Drexel EPBPM included. The thing that draws me most to Drexel is the linkage. I think I speak for everyone doing a post bac that the idea of spending all this time and money to end up with nothing is less than appealing. I have a few quick questions. First, is staying in Stiles (on campus)a good idea to you? Secondly, how many people are accepted to Drexel Med School out of this program? I know you said in another forum that the people in the class before you were all offered the linkage program but does that mean that they were offered admission? I'm just trying to make a decision very soon and it bascially all rests on the linkage. I'm not a huge fan of Philly but I'm willing to make the sacrifice if I know that this program can help me get good grades and a decent shot at the medical school. I have a friend who goes to the IMS program and he told me that of everyone in his class which I think is close to 100, only five had been admitted to Drexel Med. This makes me concerned if you know what I'm saying. Anyway, I'm just venting a bit and if anyone has some answers for me, that would be great.

Well, for the linkage this year, only one person applied- me!! And I got it!! I'm just waiting on my MCAT score to "seal the deal" (I hope I hope I hope I got it..!). I guess that doesn't shed much light on how reasonable your chances are if other people apply. I know that they have four spaces open for linkage. I understand that the year before I applied, five people applied for linkage and four were accepted. None of them ended up at Drexel Med though, for various reasons which I'm not too sure of. It's a formal linkage, not like IMS where they really aren't given any special consideration at all. I think that if you do well in the program, you'll get the linkage. Case in point: I had a 2.7 undergrad GPA (although it was in computer science and due to some odd circumstances) and a 4.0 post-bacc GPA (and 4.0 BCPM). So it seems to me that if you rock the Drexel program, you should get the linkage.

Also, there is a linkage to Robert Wood Johnson medical school as well, which is very attractive to a lot of students. I personally had no intention of applying to med schools in north Jersey (yuck!), but three of my classmates applied for linkage there- they're still waiting to hear.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions! :thumbup:

Hey-thanks for your time. I appreciate all the information you passed along. Good luck with everything.

kacohen said:
I just got into Drexel's evening post-bacc program and I am now in the process of deciding between Drexel and NYU. Can you tell me a little bit about your experience? How big are the classes? How many hours of work per week? If you work hard and put in the time, is it relatively easy to get the grades you need for their linkage program? Also, I am from NY, do you know what the housing situation is like? Is it best to get an apartment or live in the dorms? Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Katie

If you study you'll get A's. I can't imagine these classes being easier at NYU, but I've never taken these courses until I came here, so I don't really have anything to compare it too. Prof's are pretty cool; its really not a college-like atmosphere. There's a decent amount of joking around with the profs and its a pretty relaxed atmosphere. Class isn't unbearable, and everyone helps each other out. People aren't twisting their moustaches figuring out how to screw one another or anything.

If you want a decent place to live in a cool place in the city, you can get a 1 bedroom starting at about 800 or a big studio starting at about 775. Lofts start at about 900. LOOK AT SEVERAL PLACES BEFORE SIGNING A LEASE!!! You'll always be surprised at how one place is a joke compared to another in terms of space, size, cleanliness, etc. Downtown is awesome and extremely safe, if not overly preppy. If you like NY, you'll like it here.

Reactions: 1 user