Was Charged Last Night, Conviction A Certainty [Do I Report To Schools??!]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C.P. Jones said:
can someone confirm this....some country (I believe Sri Lanka?) had (maybe still has, i learned this in school YEARS ago) that as punishment hit ppl w/ those wooden sticks, leading to a very low crime rate

and then some american kid spraypainted something and got punished as such and everyone got mad

i'm trying my best to find it

come on.... look no further :)

http://display.lyrics.astraweb.com:...l_yankovic..vol_2greatest_hits..headline_news

Members don't see this ad.

as long as a person is not spanking to take out anger on their kids, and they are spanking to change behavior, then I would say it's fine

if you are spanking to take out your anger, then that's a problem

WildcatMD said:
as long as a person is not spanking to take out anger on their kids, and they are spanking to change behavior, then I would say it's fine

if you are spanking to take out your anger, then that's a problem
Also, making your kids wear leather harnesses and then spanking them while they shout out "harder Daddy harder" is just not right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
Also, making your kids wear leather harnesses and then spanking them while they shout out "harder Daddy harder" is just not right.

Neither is making midget super heros wear squirrel outfits and then having them strip for you. :thumbdown:

NRAI2001 said:
Neither is making midget super heros wear squirrel outfits and then having them strip for you. :thumbdown:
Oh.. it isn't an outfit.. I had to find a midget sized squirrel first, skin it, and then stuff the super hero into the carcass.

Psycho Doctor said:
i find it interesting that the OP posted a serious question, producing a thread 3 pages long and has not come back once to respond to any of it. In fact he created his account today and this is the only post he has ever made, or at least under this name.

anyone else think it may not be real?

Goose-d said:
hes probably off freaking out somewhere...

That's funny.

:( sorry to hear this.
just like everyone else said, get a good lawyer
and if i were u, i probably won't contact the schools now. but if invited to an interview, i will tell the schools at that time. tell them in person, u might have a better chance to explain yourself, then sending a letter.

Flopotomist said:
Oh.. it isn't an outfit.. I had to find a midget sized squirrel first, skin it, and then stuff the super hero into the carcass.

Wow midget sized squirells don't just grow on trees. It must have been huge.

rosenblum said:
Long time visitor to SDN, first time poster.

Last night I was charged with a pretty serious offense. And although I can take it to court, I have no case, and I will be convicted. Now, when I applied to schools I didn't report any convictions since I didn't have any. But now what do I do? I mean, technically I haven't been convicted yet, but it will probably come by the end of the month (so my lawyer says if I don't take this to court). I applied late to med school, I'm competetive (35P & 3.7 GPA at a pretty reputable school), and I know I'll have a bunch of interviews after then. Do I have to update my application and tell them?!! :eek:

Any advice?! :oops: :( :thumbdown:

Sorry man, I gotta know, what'd you do?

mercaptovizadeh said:
Oh come on, I was spanked and it was for my own good. This whole "abuse" thing is just nuts. Abuse is when you physically or mentally scar a child, and of course any sexual abuse. But spanking and yelling at your kid when he/she deserves it is most certainly not abuse.
Speaking of abuse, has anyone read the book "A Book Called It"? and then the two other sequels. That is abuse in a way i didn't believe possible in this country. :eek: It was truly horrifying.

indo said:
I think this thread was a joke.

When you all become doctors I'm getting my narcotics from you. You all are easy to trick.
finally someone agrees with me! i said that a page ago.

FrkyBgStok said:
wow this thread has gone all over the place! funny stuff.
it's important to keep the pre-meds entertained during the difficult application process :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:
it's important to keep the pre-meds entertained during the difficult application process :laugh:

Yes, the poster did this simply to get our mind off of things and help us relax. What a great guy! :laugh:

Pewl said:
Honestly, my standard is that I consider even spanking to be child abuse. Any parent that spanks a child should be imprisoned. I was never once spanked as a child. To me, the act of spanking might not do much physical damage but the bottom line is that by spanking a child you are teaching him or her that it is ok to use violence to achieve something (in this case, control of behavior).

When I visited Taiwan, I saw someone hit their child in public in the hallway of a hospital. I almost lost it and was about to charge at her. She actually started heading my way down the hallway and I kind of just stepped quickly into her way and bumped her aside. She looked at me in bewilderment and kept walking.

But anyway, Rosenblum, you should come out with it I think. Admissions committees are like cops, it's better that they find out now rather than later.
i'm sorry but kids have been getting good ass beatings for the past couple of centuries to keep them in like. It's only been recently where are our society (teenagers, and all kids in general) are rotten spoiled "indepedent" idiots that never received the discipline they needed when they were little.

When I was little my dad used to give me a red brick to play with. If i ever complained about the red brick, he would drop kick me in the gullet. I kick ass!

beatkid4.jpg

Holy Crap, I didn't expect so many responses! I'm sorry I didn't check SDN last night after I posted. I've been busy doing damage control after this. Particularly with my girlfriend *sigh* who posted $3000 bail to get me outta jail. I don't have time at this moment to read all the replies past page one, but thanks for all your responses and personal messages.

gintien said:
i dunno and i wouldn't report it if I were you but im just curious as to what you were charged for
I think I've really screwed up big time on this one. I know some of you will have absolutely no sympathy for me on this, and truth is, I don't deserve any at all. It was a DUI. But the second part is actually worse. I've also been charged with assaulting a police officer. I know, I know, it sounds absolutely insane. If you had been there, in my shoes, you would understand. :( You can understand now why I haven't been monitoring my thread constantly after I posted. Totaly freaking out right now. I might actually go to jail; but my lawyer says it might be okay since i've never been charged/convicted of anything before, and I've never had a moving traffic violation or even a parking ticket. *sigh* I'm gonna kill myself.

I'm sorry, but did I miss something?

Where in the hell in this thread did rosenblum ever admit what crimes he committed??

he didn't mention anything about drinking or abusing kids.... so where did these assumptions come from??

DUUUUUUuuuuuuuuude. The DUI you'd have a good chance on wiping out with a deferment. Regarding assaulting a police officer: How badly did you assault him? Seriously... you can get that charge for slapping a cop, or for shooting one. How bad was it?

I just read through a lot of these posts, and it looks like it's gone off topic. I would sincerely appreciate any thoughtful advice about my situation. Particularly from those who have experience of convictions and applying to medical school. If you guys want to start a separate thread about spanking or whatever, please go ahead. Thanks.

ShyRem said:
DUUUUUUuuuuuuuuude. The DUI you'd have a good chance on wiping out with a deferment. Regarding assaulting a police officer: How badly did you assault him? Seriously... you can get that charge for slapping a cop, or for shooting one. How bad was it?
Yeah, after meeting with my lawyer this morning it looks like I might not get the DUI on my record. As for the police officer, I'm not so sure. My lawyer doesn't have much experience with this particular offense, and he's gonna be calling in a colleague of his who has experience. The cop was totally using unnecessary force against my friend (seriously, he was punching him in the gut for no reason, my friend wasn't resisting). So, I sorta did a punch/swipe at the cops head. It wasn't a serious blow, but I guess cops have absolutely zero tolerance for stuff like this. :(

I've gotta head out for a while, and won't check SDN until like 5 or 6 this evening. I'd appreciate on-topic responses guys. Thanks again for those thoughtful replies.

Starting with our class, we just had to shell out $65 for a background check that the hospitals require in order to do 3rd year.

I've heard that this will become commonplace, so in three years, you can bet it will come back up.

Tell the judge your predicament, and if you're lucky, the fact that you're a soon to matriculate medical student and will become a highly productive member of society should weigh heavily on the outcome.

Nonetheless, be upfront with the school. It shows maturity and a willingness to confront situations head-on.

Making new spank topic now. Rosenblum, did you spank the officer?

rosenblum said:
Yeah, after meeting with my lawyer this morning it looks like I might not get the DUI on my record. As for the police officer, I'm not so sure. My lawyer doesn't have much experience with this particular offense, and he's gonna be calling in a colleague of his who has experience. The cop was totally using unnecessary force against my friend (seriously, he was punching him in the gut for no reason, my friend wasn't resisting). So, I sorta did a punch/swipe at the cops head. It wasn't a serious blow, but I guess cops have absolutely zero tolerance for stuff like this. :(

make sure you trust your lawyer and this colleague because getting a good attorney seems pretty critical here. if the cop was using excessive force, it sounds like you might have a good case, but you're gonna have to fight. as for the medical school issue, i'd hold off on doing anything right now. your number one focus right now needs to be getting your record cleared.

rosenblum said:

In my experiences with the fuzz and their power trips, I'm surprised you weren't shot...

Rosenblum,
Getting serious - I stand by my advice to get yourself into some kind of alcohol treatment program - even if it is just to attend 30 meetings in 30 days (AA -- it's free and anonymous-- they're in the phone book). Also, some sort of counseling with a psychologist to deal with anger management (not that you have anger issues with cops but to rule out any big time anger problems). When you do face a judge, the fact that you have an AA sponsor and have been sober for whatever amount of time and you have a psychologist as a character witness stating to your lack of aggressive tendencies may be a help. Run these ideas past your lawyers -- I think that you'll find that they agree with me.

Hope and pray that you get those charges dismissed. If you are ever asked if you have ever been charged with a felony be sure to confirm that the questioner means to ask if you have ever been convicted of a felony (innocent until proven guilty and all that).

Good luck!

Both those charges are very serious. You have some huge hurdles to overcome, especially the assault on the cop. The judge will have a bias towards the cop's story because you were intoxicated. In short, you're screwed. Every medically related position has background checks, even orderlies.

Consider another career, seriously.

Peace out.

seth03 said:
you are probably pro-life when it comes to abortion, aren't you?

What does that have to do with anything? I agree that if you drink and drive it's your own damn fault and you should be fully responsible for the consequences (as Nikki was saying), but I'm not pro-life. I don't get the connection?

Hmm. Well. A few thoughts:
1) the legal system takes a dim view of those who "take a punch/swipe" at a cop.
2) Not calling you a liar, but you were drunk so you view of what happened may (ok, most likely IS) skewed. I'm sure what you're saying is the truth as you remember it. No offense meant, I hope none taken.
3) After being on the streets as a firefighter and/or paramedic for 15 years and being married to a cop, I can tell you that few cops use force not necessary - they can get fired for it. Any use of force is written up and investigated. Often I hear people say "he wasn't resisting!" yet when I watched the tape of the incident, the person involved clearly WAS resisting. Again, your view is most likely skewed by your alcohol-induced haze. NOT saying it absolutely couldn't happen - just that it's unlikely.
4) Find an alcohol awareness class and get into it ASAP - before you're ordered to. It will definitely attest to your character and willingness to atone for your error.
5) If this is really your first offense, there is a good chance the assault on a peace officer charge can get pled down to a misdemeanor disturbing the peace charge. Especially if you go and get anger management, counseling, or alcohol awareness classes on your own immediately. The courts really like it when people truly seem contrite and willing to change their behavior.
6) Oh, and write the cops involved a truly heartfelt apology. Run this last one by your lawyer and let him see the letters before you send them. It's amazing what a simple heartfelt apology can do to attest to your character.

My thoughts, like 'em or hate 'em. Take this experience as a MAJOR lesson, and DON'T DRIVE DRUNK. Get a designated driver or take a cab. Good luck to you.

NRAI2001 said:
If its sure to be a felony, won't there be jail time involved? How will you attend classes if your locked up?
Felonys don't always mean jail time.

Option 1 - plead guilty
Option 2 - request misdemeanor
Option 3 - plead innocent

well obviously #1 isn't a very good idea.
#2 seems to be the most logical/easy
#3 dunno. LOL

I would talk to more than 1 attorney. I'm sure lots of attorneys have been through this before.

rosenblum said:

I have not been in your shoes, so I apologize, but whatever you do..........

MAKE SURE TO KEEP TO THE TRUTH in applications at all times. Explain the situation as best as you can because if you get caught lying it could be infinitely worse then if you told the truth in the first place. Oh and listen to the others and talk with your attorneys.

Psycho Doctor said:
Speaking of abuse, has anyone read the book "A Book Called It"? and then the two other sequels. That is abuse in a way i didn't believe possible in this country. :eek: It was truly horrifying.
You mean "A Child Called It"

Rosenblum,

I would really relax about the whole situation. First, take Shyrem's advice all of it. She hit the nail right on the head. I know of at least 4 DUI cases of friends that have gotten plead down. (BTW how far over the limit did you blow, and how old are you, and what state did it happen in?) In my old state of MA, there was almost a protocol to getting them taken care of.

As for the assaulting an officer charge, much more serious, but still not the end of the world. Write that letter of apology, and mean every word you say. If you are young and this is your first offense, I think it will be taken care of. My ex-girl friend is an assistant-DA, and from her I heard MANY stories similar to yours. Again, depending on the state you are in, you will probably be offered a deal, as long as you don't have a history of violence.

A little story, to make you feel better. Good friend of mine is his junior year of college was getting a ride home from a weekend retreat in northern Vermont. Guy driving had to make a quick stop at a "friends" house, where he preceded to pick up a large duffel bag of stinky green (5 pounds if I remember right). You might be able to guess the rest....driving home they are stopped by an officer, he smells the goods, and both are taken to jail on possession and intent to distribute charges. My friend (his bail was 5K, so don't feel too bad) got a good lawyer, and got a deal where the whole incident will never even show up on his record as long as he stays out of trouble for 3 years. Didn't even effect his federal loans. He is currently attending a top 10 medical school on the east coast. So buck up, and don’t listen to all the doom and gloom people throw out around here, you f’ed up good, but its not THAT bad.

cheers,
bob

Asherlauph said:
You mean "A Child Called It"

Oh MY GOD!!!!!!!!! I just read the summary for that book on Amazon and that is JUST SICK!!!!!!!! :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

How could any parent do that to their child?????????????? That is just inhuman.

majikbob said:
Rosenblum,
I know of at least 4 DUI cases of friends...

Good friend of mine ...preceded to pick up a large duffel bag of stinky green (5 pounds if I remember right). bob

Uh.. dude, have you considered making some new friends?

gujuDoc said:
Oh MY GOD!!!!!!!!! I just read the summary for that book on Amazon and that is JUST SICK!!!!!!!! :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Note: this post has nothing to do with the question of the thread, but many of the posts didn't, so I'm justified in responding.

It is disturbing! Precisely why I want to go into psychiatry. I gotta figure out what makes these people tick! How to prevent and rehabilitate, if possible.

Rosen: Good luck-- "He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." (I don't know who first said it.)
I agree completely with ShyRem. S/he is saying exactly what (in my unprofessional opinion) I would do in the same sitch.

Asherlauph said:
What does that have to do with anything? I agree that if you drink and drive it's your own damn fault and you should be fully responsible for the consequences (as Nikki was saying), but I'm not pro-life. I don't get the connection?
amen and hallelujah

Asherlauph said:
Rosen: Good luck-- "He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." .

Uhm - I am not sure this quote applies here. Taking risks that will further your knowledge base is one thing, but getting drunk, driving, and assaulting a cop is not some noble mistake that we should all aspire to.

As somebody who lost a best friend in high school to a drunk driver, I have ZERO tolerance for people that think it is OK to get drunk and then risk OTHER peoples' lives by driving. Kill yourself, fine - but don't take me or my friends with you.

In terms of applying to medical school, I truly hope that a conviction for DUI is grounds for automatic rejection. Face it, there are 2 applicants for every 1 slot. People that demonstrate a complete disregard for the lives of others, no respect for the law, and demonstrated problems with alcohol have no place taking one of those precious slots from somebody else.

To the OP: sorry, you asked us to stay on topic, so I have. I wish you luck in getting your act cleaned up, but unlike Asherlauph wish you nothing but bad luck when it comes to getting into medical school.

rosenblum said:
Holy Crap, I didn't expect so many responses! I'm sorry I didn't check SDN last night after I posted. I've been busy doing damage control after this. Particularly with my girlfriend *sigh* who posted $3000 bail to get me outta jail. I don't have time at this moment to read all the replies past page one, but thanks for all your responses and personal messages.

I think I've really screwed up big time on this one. I know some of you will have absolutely no sympathy for me on this, and truth is, I don't deserve any at all. It was a DUI. But the second part is actually worse. I've also been charged with assaulting a police officer. I know, I know, it sounds absolutely insane. If you had been there, in my shoes, you would understand. :( You can understand now why I haven't been monitoring my thread constantly after I posted. Totaly freaking out right now. I might actually go to jail; but my lawyer says it might be okay since i've never been charged/convicted of anything before, and I've never had a moving traffic violation or even a parking ticket. *sigh* I'm gonna kill myself.

Go back to your bridge you troll. :thumbdown:

NRAI2001 said:
Go back to your bridge you troll. :thumbdown:

Dude did you even read any of the other posts????????? The person is not a troll. Or so it can be gathered if you've read any of the later posts where he told what happened.

Flopotomist said:
Uh.. dude, have you considered making some new friends?

Wait up, I think you read his post wrong. His friend was getting a ride home and the driver stopped off to pick up the bricks. His friend was just an innocent bystander.
Besides, those are the kinds of friends I want.... I'm kidding! (I hope that was believable.)

gujuDoc said:

Actually, I've read the book. But it's not clear the the guy who wrote it is actually describing reality. As a matter of fact, quite a lot has been written that discounts his story. I think most things I've read say he was probably abused, but he exaggerates a TON and makes up stuff. So basically take the whole thing with a grain of salt, because most of it probably isn't true.

I just want to say, also, before I get flamed for saying the above, that I realize it is a problem when people don't believe victims of abuse. I'm just saying that based on what I've read, this guy is really embellishing his story. Apparently when he speaks he sometimes adds in additional horrible details that nobody's heard before, and even descriptions of a specific event get worse over time. Not to say that people can't remember things they didn't remember before, but this is taken to an extreme.

I also think it's an interesting commentary on America, or maybe humanity in general, that his books remain in the best sellers list for so long. Why exactly do we, as a culture, or as people, feel the need to read lurid descriptions of outrageous abuse? It's very voyeuristic. I read the book because my roommate in college had it, and it sickened me. But I still read the whole thing. Us people are strange creatures.

(Sorry to the OP about the off-topic post)

Flopotomist said:
Uhm - I am not sure this quote applies here. Taking risks that will further your knowledge base is one thing, but getting drunk, driving, and assaulting a cop is not some noble mistake that we should all aspire to.

As somebody who lost a best friend in high school to a drunk driver, I have ZERO tolerance for people that think it is OK to get drunk and then risk OTHER peoples' lives by driving. Kill yourself, fine - but don't take me or my friends with you.

In terms of applying to medical school, I truly hope that a conviction for DUI is grounds for automatic rejection. Face it, there are 2 applicants for every 1 slot. People that demonstrate a complete disregard for the lives of others, no respect for the law, and demonstrated problems with alcohol have no place taking one of those precious slots from somebody else.

To the OP: sorry, you asked us to stay on topic, so I have. I wish you luck in getting your act cleaned up, but unlike Asherlauph wish you nothing but bad luck when it comes to getting into medical school.

Okay, I'm torn, because I DO agree with you-- but at the same time, there's this weird humanistic reasoning inside of me that makes me want to wish them luck in resolving the issue. But then there's the personal reasoning that says, of course, the same thing you say in having them pay the consequences (even if it messes up their career) because driving drunk is WRONG and that's one less person I have to worry about competing for my acceptance--and because I think drunk driving is WRONG then I won't do it. Period.
I have some good friends that have been stupid and had a DUI, though, and I don't judge them for it. I just know I'm not going to go out with them and expect them to drive me... I'm always the DD for that very reason. As much as I lecture them and believe that it's absolutely wrong, I recognize that people do make mistakes.

So alas, my "best wishes" are only with a grain of salt. (hold the lime and tequila).

gujuDoc said:
Dude did you even read any of the other posts????????? The person is not a troll. Or so it can be gathered if you've read any of the later posts where he told what happened.

He is definitely a troll. His story may seem feasible at first, but there is just something to his replies after he explained what happened. Hes just too laid back and he almost jokes about it when he says "should i kill myself...".

Why would he look to SDN as a place for advice or for consolation when this was his very first post ever. Did his lawyer refer him to sdn? For someone who has never used sdn before, this seems like an akward circumstance to start.

NRAI2001 said:
He is definitely a troll. His story may seem feasible at first, but there is just something to his replies after he explained what happened. Hes just too laid back and he almost jokes about it when he says "should i kill myself...".

Why would he look to SDN as a place for advice or for consolation when this was his very first post ever. Did his lawyer refer him to sdn? For someone who has never used sdn before, this seems like an akward circumstance to start.

The other possibility is that it is a regular user that is smart enough to not use his/her regular name for fear that people will figure out who s/he is. I doubt it was a troll - a troll would have a more creative story I would hope.

Flopotomist said:
The other possibility is that it is a regular user that is smart enough to not use his/her regular name for fear that people will figure out who s/he is. I doubt it was a troll - a troll would have a more creative story I would hope.

So your saying he may have some kinda secret identitiy???

Like a super hero hiding in a squirell suit???

Asherlauph said:

The connection is that Nikki appears to view matters in a "black" or "white" perspective always.