Was Charged Last Night, Conviction A Certainty [Do I Report To Schools??!]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's also a huge difference between spanking a child for punishment and hitting a child out of anger. I was spanked as a child, up to a certain age. My brother was never spanked. I guess I was just badly behaved :p But seriously, I'm about as non-violent as possible. I don't think I'll spank my own kids, but I really don't see any absolutes on this issue. It does upset me a LOT when I see mothers hitting their children or pulling them very strongly by the arm or even just chewing them out/yelling at them in public for stupid things. The other day I saw a woman yank her son, who looked to be about 2.5, extremely hard by the arm, and then yell at him and call him a name for not walking fast enough across the street because she was trying to cross while the walk sign was blinking. Seriously, this kid was practically a baby; why didn't she just pick him up? Stuff like that makes me mad. But unlike the above poster, I never resorted to physical violence to show how mad I was (and look, I was spanked as a kid!).

As far as the OP, everybody already said the important stuff. It really does depend on the conviction, and it will potentially matter in the future with licensing and all that jazz.

Oh yeah I wanted to mention something in response to the DUI post (zero tolerance person): in some places you can get convicted of a DUI just for having had a single drink that night. Your blood alcohol level doesn't even have to be in the legally drunk (.08?) range. I just heard a report on the radio about new laws being passed like that. There was an example of a woman who was put in jail overnight and then convicted of DUI because she had a glass of wine with dinner and then at some point later was in her car and the headlights weren't on (I'm not entirely clear on the story) and she was pulled and given a breathalizer (sp) and her blood alcohol was something like .03. Just an interesting point I thought I'd throw out there.

Members don't see this ad.

DaMota said:
pewl- you're f-ing hilarious. i know what you're talking about but bumping into the woman? she probably just thought you were another crazy american that never did military training and consequently can't walk straight.

btw.. i've gotta say i HATE when an OP just starts a thread and walks away from it. why haven't you posted since? are you even reading all this friendly advice you're getting? oh ya, and let us know what you were convicted for. lets make this the SDN version of the OC. thanks
-mota

Give the OP a minute to eat some dinner and take a crap. It's only been like 3-4 hours since this was posted. Take it easy.

PBMaxx said:
Give the OP a minute to eat some dinner and take a crap. It's only been like 3-4 hours since this was posted. Take it easy.

i'm calm as a hindu cow. but a 4 hour crap? the guy should eat more apples.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
DaMota said:
-mota

Awesome response. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MousseKnuckle said:
They won't find out, and they certainly won't check after you are admitted.

I know for at least one school I had to sign a form allowing the school to do a background check on me (for just such incidences). The background check will not be performed until accepted .

DaMota said:
-mota

holy **** I'm laughing so hard everyone is looking at me like I'm a loon. I love it. :clap: :laugh:

Hahaha <3 this thread.

And yeah, personally I'm glad my parents spanked me when I was young. If I did something bad, I'd see the big negatives. If I did something good...they'd reward me with something equal and opposite to the spanking. Yay.

What if the OP did this to get a stir out of everyone, and is sitting there on his toilet taking his 4 or 5 hour crap laughing his/her head off?

MrBurns10 said:
I think the problem stems from the fact that the line between "disciplining" and "abusing" your child is pretty thin and varies from person to person. So a firm slap on the behind is okay...what about bending the child over and giving a hard slap on his/her naked behind? is 5 slaps ok? how about 10? what about slapping for 30 minutes? or maybe just once with a belt? how about 5 times with a belt? for 30 minutes with a belt? and so on. Everyone's line is different, whether it's your hand versus another object, or # of slaps, or duration of slapping.
Now, back to the OP's question...

O yea o yea, keep talking dirty, o yea.

caldoc44 said:
O yea o yea, keep talking dirty, o yea.

tonight's a very very weird night

last year i had a friend who was stalked by a guy and he eventually tried to break into her home to rape her. she called the police and they got there in time to catch him trying to break in. charges were pressed and i'm pretty sure that he spent the night in jail. the next day i asked my boss, who is very involved in advising pre-med students, whether this would affect his med school status. my boss told me that since the guy was already accepted to med school and this happened after the acceptance was sent, that the med school could not kick him out because of an attempted rape charge. just thought that i would throw this story into the mix

DaMota said:
-mota

I echo the other wise ones and say :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That was an awesome witty response. :D

christvida said:
last year i had a friend who was stalked by a guy and he eventually tried to break into her home to rape her. she called the police and they got there in time to catch him trying to break in. charges were pressed and i'm pretty sure that he spent the night in jail. the next day i asked my boss, who is very involved in advising pre-med students, whether this would affect his med school status. my boss told me that since the guy was already accepted to med school and this happened after the acceptance was sent, that the med school could not kick him out because of an attempted rape charge. just thought that i would throw this story into the mix

Ok now that is kinda creepy. :eek:

christvida said:

So you knew the friend AND the stalker?

edit: This thread is so fast :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
christvida said:

i see the connection, but it was attempted rape, maybe thats why he was allowed?? maybe if he actually followed through with it (thank god he was caught!), then he would not have been allowed into med school, i sure hope he wouldnt.

i didn't know the stalker....i also know of another case with a rape. i was at work a couple of weeks ago and i was reading the newspaper. an article happened to catch my eye, it was reporting a rape that happened the night before. i recognized the name of the alleged rapist (i don't know if this person was convicted) and i looked it up...turns out this person is in my department. the crazy thing about this case was the two people involved were both male. i know that this guy is applying to professional programs, so i'm not sure how it will affect him

jtank said:
i see the connection, but it was attempted rape, maybe thats why he was allowed?? maybe if he actually followed through with it (thank god he was caught!), then he would not have been allowed into med school, i sure hope he wouldnt.

Yeah but man, I don't know if I want even an attempted rapist to be my med school classmate, much less a physician. That idea just freaks me out. And makes me sick. :barf:

I have no idea where this thread has gone from the original post, but i feel I must put my two cents in order for it to be complete.

As yelled by my very, very inebreated friend:
"[enter name here] is not a RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAPIST!!!!"

Carry on...

Ithilia said:
Yeah but man, I don't know if I want even an attempted rapist to be my med school classmate, much less a physician. That idea just freaks me out. And makes me sick. :barf:

no, i completely agree with u. anyone with a pathological problem (i consider attempted rapists, murderers, abusers in that category) should be banned from any form of higher education

Pewl said:
Honestly, my standard is that I consider even spanking to be child abuse. Any parent that spanks a child should be imprisoned. I was never once spanked as a child. To me, the act of spanking might not do much physical damage but the bottom line is that by spanking a child you are teaching him or her that it is ok to use violence to achieve something (in this case, control of behavior).

When I visited Taiwan, I saw someone hit their child in public in the hallway of a hospital. I almost lost it and was about to charge at her. She actually started heading my way down the hallway and I kind of just stepped quickly into her way and bumped her aside. She looked at me in bewilderment and kept walking.

Who are you to decide what's best for other people's children? In Taiwan, getting hit is normal and the people there definitely don't go around using violence. I got hit as a child and I'm glad I was. Unless the kid is being seriously beaten with brusing and such, mind your own business and stop judging other people.

on a somewhat serious note,

you know it can't be serious if the guys posting on sdn... unless he's from california. i've only been once, but i'd imagine they have high-speed internet access in the jails out there, leather couches, the whole nine yards...

most likely, if its not his/her first offense, he'll get it pleaded down to a mis. and get off scott free (from the med school perspective, that is).

wow, this has gone waaay off topic.... :) I am very curious to know what the offense was, maybe it's shoplifting like Wynonna Ryder? Is that a felony? I know nothing about law, well except some military law....

As for spanking, I was never spanked. My mom always found other ways to punish me because she didn't believe in it. When I was about 7-8 I wondered why all my other friends were getting spanked and I wasn't so I asked to get spanked, my mom laughed at me :D I don't believe in it (and in response to another response I'm definitely not a liberal), but that's my choice. You know what they say about opinions.........

i find it interesting that the OP posted a serious question, producing a thread 3 pages long and has not come back once to respond to any of it. In fact he created his account today and this is the only post he has ever made, or at least under this name. :confused:

anyone else think it may not be real?

Actually, this question sparks some curiosity in me. When I used to be a manager for a large retail chain, I was charged with (I think 4) counts of felony theft (this has been at least 10 years ago). To make a long story short, an employee had found out my pin number and had done some very nasty things. This employee was caught, and the company apologized to me (of course them investigating properly in the first place would have saved me a headache)and although I didn't sue (I'm sure I could have, but that's just not me...), the company was more than happy to pay for all the charges to be "sealed". I was never convicted of anything (obviously) and all the charges were dropped once the DA was made aware of everything that actually happened, but I was actually charged with around 4 felonies. I've only talked to one school but was told this wouldn't be a problem, anyone have any thoughts if this will hold true for all schools.

I might have rambled on so I'll try to summarize:
I was charged with 4 felonies (theft)
The person that actually commited the crimes was caught
All charges against me were dropped
Since I was charged though, those charges would have shown up on my record
The company paid for a local attorney to "seal" those charges, which it was my understanding that "sealed" means they would only be visible to certain agencies.

Psycho Doctor said:
i find it interesting that the OP posted a serious question, producing a thread 3 pages long and has not come back once to respond to any of it. In fact he created his account today and this is the only post he has ever made, or at least under this name. :confused:

anyone else think it may not be real?

hes probably off freaking out somewhere...

Pewl said:
Honestly, my standard is that I consider even spanking to be child abuse. Any parent that spanks a child should be imprisoned. I was never once spanked as a child. To me, the act of spanking might not do much physical damage but the bottom line is that by spanking a child you are teaching him or her that it is ok to use violence to achieve something (in this case, control of behavior).

When I visited Taiwan, I saw someone hit their child in public in the hallway of a hospital. I almost lost it and was about to charge at her. She actually started heading my way down the hallway and I kind of just stepped quickly into her way and bumped her aside. She looked at me in bewilderment and kept walking.

But anyway, Rosenblum, you should come out with it I think. Admissions committees are like cops, it's better that they find out now rather than later.

Oh come on, I was spanked and it was for my own good. This whole "abuse" thing is just nuts. Abuse is when you physically or mentally scar a child, and of course any sexual abuse. But spanking and yelling at your kid when he/she deserves it is most certainly not abuse.

mercaptovizadeh said:
Oh come on, I was spanked and it was for my own good. This whole "abuse" thing is just nuts. Abuse is when you physically or mentally scar a child, and of course any sexual abuse. But spanking and yelling at your kid when he/she deserves it is most certainly not abuse.

can someone confirm this....some country (I believe Sri Lanka?) had (maybe still has, i learned this in school YEARS ago) that as punishment hit ppl w/ those wooden sticks, leading to a very low crime rate

and then some american kid spraypainted something and got punished as such and everyone got mad

i'm trying my best to find it

C.P. Jones said:
can someone confirm this....some country (I believe Sri Lanka?) had (maybe still has, i learned this in school YEARS ago) that as punishment hit ppl w/ those wooden sticks, leading to a very low crime rate

and then some american kid spraypainted something and got punished as such and everyone got mad

The country was Singapore . . . here's an article . . .

http://www.corpun.com/sgju9404.htm

C.P. Jones said:

it was singapore and he vandalized a car i think. as for the caning, when in rome :rolleyes:

thanks dakota and river rat

idk where the spraypaint part came from :rolleyes:

edit: ok, now that i actually read the article, he did spraypaint the cars.....i knew i wasn't completely crazy!

imagine reporting that one to the schools

i served some jail time, and a fine, and a few cane strokes...you know, the usual

thesauce said:
It really depends on the offense. Rape, robbery, serious assault: you're screwed. With a DUI, you're probably okay. First of all, fight it just to delay it going on your record. When it finally goes on your record, don't report it to the schools until they ask. If they do ask, then tell the truth.

I disagree with the last posting, you're probably fine. I know a highly competitive school that let a guy stay in after being convicted of child abuse. Relax, everyone has made a mistake or two.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm child abuse.....just a simple old mistake!!!!!!!.....hahahahahahahahahahahhaha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Come on sauce that's no small offense....now that does not mean that what he did constituted the label of "child abuse" (hell, they call spanking child abuse now...I was spanked big time...and even sometimes had to pick out my own switch from a tree and pick the leaves off...only to get an arse whoopin').

But the fact that he was charged with that would make me wonder big time if I were an adcom.
Lucky him...did he know someone at that prestigious school?...or did his family donate alot of money?

cya!

Question: I was charged with a crime and was wondering how to deal with it with respect to a medical school application process.

Answer: Don't spank your children!

rocketman said:
Question: I was charged with a crime and was wondering how to deal with it with respect to a medical school application process.

:laugh:

osli said:
This has to be one of the most intolerant, arrogant, presumptious, disrespectful posts I've ever seen, on any forum, including a lot of pretty heated political and/or religious ones. Must have come from a true left-wing moonbat. It's not just that such a radical position has been taken, but that you followed it up with an example where you, non-spanked (and by your logic non-violent) as a child, responded to witnessing a public spanking with extremely violent thoughts. Such self-hypocrisy.

First, don't presume to know the best way to raise every kid, in every situation, everywhere in the world. Different kids are often worlds different in behavior, and what works for one may not work for all. Second, don't be so naive with your cause/effect assumptions. Child rearing isn't a step A, step B procedure. There are always lots of issues, lots of compromises, lots of consequences for each of your decisions that must be carefully weighed. Absolutist positions such as yours frankly have no place in civilized society. Maybe the child picks up on the idea that agression sometimes works... maybe they also pick up on the idea that parents should be respected and rules should be followed; therin is the compromise. But even that greatly oversimplifies the problem: what are they learning, specifically, about agression? That wife beating gets results? Where are they seeing that evidence in the act of spanking? That thuggery can be profitable? Where in spanking are they witnessing that? Perhaps what they are learning, specifically, is that spanking forces children to observe rules. Man, now isn't that a crime... let's lock up the parents.

Awesome. I was hoping to get some angry responses.

First off, I know I'd be kidding myself if I believed that violence doesn't solve problems. We'd probably all be muslim here in the US if the crusades hadn't happened. The Western Hemisphere could very well have been under fascist rule if the allies didn't kill a hell of a lot of Germans. In society, however, I believe violence between adults to be in a totally separate ballpark from violence towards young children. Violence, in general is horrible. Domestic violence is horrible as well. However, I put violence towards young children as an even greater evil. This is because they are impressionable and actions towards them, particularly from parents, leaves scars and impressions far beyond merely the physical. This is why I believe any physical abuse towards a young child from a parent who is SUPPOSED to be raising them, be it spanking or an open-palmed slap, will be ingrained into their minds from a very early age. And, children very often imitate their parents actions, particularly if they are imprinted and accepted at a very young age. Now, there is a darn good chance that the child will grow up perfectly normal having been spanked, but the question is where do you draw the line? When we go to restaurants or theaters do the signs say "1/2 cigarette limit?" Do they say "2 puff limit?" No! They all say either "no smoking" or "designated smoking area." To admit a compromise in this area would be treading against a slippery slope. True, a few puffs of second hand smoke more than likely will do little harm but to avoid any gray areas in the issue, they simply ban smoking. This is why I am fiercely adamant against spanking. Regardless of how little harm it does, it is still teaching the young child that violence is an acceptable method of achieving control. And any of it at all is already too much.

I honestly dont' care how many of you disagree with me. This is a standard I hold myself to. There are many ways of disciplining children without hitting them physically. The silent treatment, being used by developmental psychologists, has been extremely effective in disciplining children. Starting the entire rewards and cause/effect binary from a young age has yielded tremendous results. The wonders of cognitive operant conditioning has an AMAZING track record. I guess this is one of the perks of having studied much child and developmental psychology as an undergrad, heh. But, the bottom line is that there are PLENTY of ways around spanking a child. It's just a matter of taking the time and energy to learn and implement it. =P

osli said:
It's not just that such a radical position has been taken, but that you followed it up with an example where you, non-spanked (and by your logic non-violent) as a child, responded to witnessing a public spanking with extremely violent thoughts. Such self-hypocrisy.

I NEVER once said that it was not ok to have violent thoughts. What determines your character will be how you restrain yourself and control your actions once you DO have violent thoughts. It's impossible to really control your thoughts, as detailed in "White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts." I would NEVER have attacked that woman and beaten her to a bloody pulp. If she continued to hit her child I may have just pulled her away and restrained her, at most.

Besides, the little bump I gave her looked totally accidental. My body language indicated that it was an accident and the people in the hallway who witnessed it saw it that way too. :laugh:

spank me, spank me, i am a bad boy, spank me, o yea, o yea.

MoosePilot said:
Seems like you think it's ok to use violence. Otherwise why would you charge a complete stranger or assault her? You hoping to be sure her child learns the lesson?

OFF said:
Any parent who spanks their kid should be imprisoned? What about a man who is physical with a woman because he does not agree with the way she teaches her child?
Obviously beating a child has absolutely no place in any society, but in my opinion, spanking got my attention when I was a kid, and I plan on giving my kids a quick swat on the behind when appropriate.

Tristy said:
You have got to be kidding me.....

Dixie06 said:
Wow... I've never met anyone that feels that strongly about spanking. My parents spanked me, and I can't see any way that it has negatively affected me. I'm in no way a violent person. I've never hit anyone before.... (assuming that slapping a few terrible ex-boyfriends doesn't count).

racerx said:
1. I would bet that you don't have any children yet. Your outlook may change if you ever have kids. They may learn to walk all over you and have no respect for any authority.

2. Reasoning doesn't work in every situation. Sometimes, you have to get a child's attention. I'm not saying to thrash the kid, but a nice, focusing pop on the butt does wonders for the attention sometimes.

2. For never having been spanked as a child, it seems that you were ready to resort to violence with the woman you saw spank her child. Did you learn that in your child-rearing expert class? :rolleyes:

gintien said:
Who are you to decide what's best for other people's children? In Taiwan, getting hit is normal and the people there definitely don't go around using violence. I got hit as a child and I'm glad I was. Unless the kid is being seriously beaten with brusing and such, mind your own business and stop judging other people.

mercaptovizadeh said:

All of you, see my above post.

Pewl said:
There are many ways of disciplining children without hitting them physically. The silent treatment, for one, has been extremely successful with developmental psychologists.

Why are we disciplining developmental psychologists?

Flopotomist said:
Why are we disciplining developmental psychologists?

haha, no, I meant it has been very effective on children, being used by developmental psychologists.

Pewl said:
haha, no, I meant it has been very effective on children, being used by developmental psychologists.

children used by developmental psychologists?

NRAI2001 said:
children used by developmental psychologists?

Heh, this is the toughest sentence ever. =P

The method is used BY developmental psychologists ON children =P

Pewl said:
Heh, this is the toughest sentence ever. =P

The method is used BY developmental psychologists ON children =P

O ok, why didnt' you just say so. :confused:

that's great, i respect your views but to judge others and to 'accidentally' bump into a mom shows no class or respect on your part.

Pewl said:
Awesome. I was hoping to get some angry responses.

First off, I know I'd be kidding myself if I believed that violence doesn't solve problems. We'd probably all be muslim here in the US if the crusades hadn't happened. The Western Hemisphere could very well have been under fascist rule if the allies didn't kill a hell of a lot of Germans. In society, however, I believe violence between adults to be in a totally separate ballpark from violence towards young children. Violence, in general is horrible. Domestic violence is horrible as well. However, I put violence towards young children as an even greater evil. This is because they are impressionable and actions towards them, particularly from parents, leaves scars and impressions far beyond merely the physical. This is why I believe any physical abuse towards a young child from a parent who is SUPPOSED to be raising them, be it spanking or an open-palmed slap, will be ingrained into their minds from a very early age. And, children very often imitate their parents actions, particularly if they are imprinted and accepted at a very young age. Now, there is a darn good chance that the child will grow up perfectly normal having been spanked, but the question is where do you draw the line? When we go to restaurants or theaters do the signs say "1/2 cigarette limit?" Do they say "2 puff limit?" No! They all say either "no smoking" or "designated smoking area." To admit a compromise in this area would be treading against a slippery slope. True, a few puffs of second hand smoke more than likely will do little harm to avoid any gray areas in the issue, they simply ban smoking. This is why I am fiercely adamant against spanking. Regardless of how little harm it does, it is still teaching the young child that violence is an acceptable method of achieving control. And any of it at all is already too much.

I honestly dont' care how many of you disagree with me. This is a standard I hold myself to. There are many ways of disciplining children without hitting them physically. The silent treatment, being used by developmental psychologists, has been extremely effective in disciplining children. Starting the entire rewards and cause/effect binary from a young age has yielded tremendous results. The wonders of cognitive operant conditioning has an AMAZING track record. I guess this is one of the perks of having studied much child and developmental psychology as an undergrad, heh. But, the bottom line is that there are PLENTY of ways around spanking a child. It's just a matter of taking the time and energy to learn and implement it. =P

I NEVER once said that it was not ok to have violent thoughts. What determines your character will be how you restrain yourself and control your actions once you DO have violent thoughts. It's impossible to really control your thoughts, as detailed in "White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts." I would NEVER have attacked that woman and beaten her to a bloody pulp. If she continued to hit her child I may have just pulled her away and restrained her, at most.

Besides, the little bump I gave her looked totally accidental. My body language indicated that it was an accident and the people in the hallway who witnessed it saw it that way too. :laugh:

I think this thread was a joke.

When you all become doctors I'm getting my narcotics from you. You all are easy to trick.

gintien said:
that's great, i respect your views but to judge others and to 'accidentally' bump into a mom shows no class or respect on your part.

Why should I show any class or respect to someone who obviously doesn't respect herself, her child, or others? =P

Besides, I'm not "judging" anyone. I'm forming an opinion. Our opinions are also based off of our own values system. The last time I checked, we were all entitled to form and express our own opinions.

BAHA!

rocketman said:

:laugh: :laugh:

there's a fine line between opinion and judging...and by the looks of things you're judging.

Pewl said:
Why should I show any class or respect to someone who obviously doesn't respect herself, her child, or others? =P

Who are you to say that that mother wasn't respecting herself or her child? What makes you so right, allowing you to judge her by your standards? Moreover, treating someone with such disrespect, a mother no less, just because she doesn't conform to your values shows no class. Maybe I'll go chest bump a christian because I don't believe in his faith. How stupid is that?

Pewl In regards to your post I think you made some good points but I still disagree with you. I know that many of my friends growing up were spanked and not one of them has any violent or aggressive tendencies. I think that as long as the parents explain to the child why they are receiving the punishment (in this case spanking) and , more importantly, as long as the spanking is not done out of rage or anger the child will not be emotionally scarred. Many posters have expressed similar sentiments but just wanted to reiterate.

Hey pewl, just wondering- do ya have any kids?