Washington Applicants c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would any of you who applied and got interviews mind sharing some of your basic stats? like GPA and GRE?

I'm thinking of applying to Washington next cycle and would like a basic idea of what they're looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Nstarz, I've seen this before though =) Was just curious about people this year though it's most likely very similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any of you who applied and got interviews mind sharing some of your basic stats? like GPA and GRE?

I'm thinking of applying to Washington next cycle and would like a basic idea of what they're looking for.

Tak a look at their tier system. Dr. Talcott (director of admissions) said that in order for an OOS applicant to be considered they need to be a tier one applicant.

Tak a look at their tier system. Dr. Talcott (director of admissions) said that in order for an OOS applicant to be considered they need to be a tier one applicant.

Do you know how the tier system works? According to their website, I'm tier one for GRE score but tier two for GPA. I'm OOS and guessing this means I'm a tier two. The "or" part is what I'm not sure about, although since GPA is listed first I imagine that's the first thing they consider.

(I think I'm tier two in GPA. Going from an undergrad with semesters to a grad school with quarters has made my GPA calculations vary wildly by who is doing them...)

My understanding is that, to be considered a Tier 1 applicant, you need to meet any of the criteria outlined (hence the or). So you can either have a 3.5 cGPA, 3.7sGPA, or >75% on the GREs.

My understanding is that, to be considered a Tier 1 applicant, you need to meet any of the criteria outlined (hence the or). So you can either have a 3.5 cGPA, 3.7sGPA, or >75% on the GREs.

It seemed from the website initially that all tier one applicants got interviews, but that's just for IS. You do need to be tier one for OOS, and only a small number of us will be offered interviews, or so I was told during my post-mortem last year.
Aghhh, this is so hard to see people get letters on here and I know nothing from Wash yet. Frantically checking email and mail, because it could be coming, but it's not, so does that mean I'm out or it comes later... ahhh, overanalyzing! Just send me a letter, an email, something!!! I want to know, now!

Yes - that's how I had it explained to me. I definitely don't have ALL of them and I'm OOS...

I was offered an interview today at WSU (I'm OOS), very exciting! For anyone who has had a WSU interview in the past, do they all take place at WSU?

Any of you folks who received an interview invite via email receive the snail mail version yet? Need enough notice to book my plane flight (!) and getting a little concerned about that one.

Got an interview invite last night via email. Very excited and flattered but I am nervous about getting to WSU, I am from PA after all. It is going to cost a pretty penny to get over there... but could be a fun little vacation.

Any of you folks who received an interview invite via email receive the snail mail version yet? Need enough notice to book my plane flight (!) and getting a little concerned about that one.

I received mine the same day I got my e-mail but I was on vacation for a week so it is possible that it actually came earlier.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews! (including you, LSD... I saw your post on the other thread!) My hope for an interview is dwindling I'm afraid :(. Unless they sent some invites out via snail mail only (haven't been home to get mail in over a week)?

Good luck to everyone on your interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews! (including you, LSD... I saw your post on the other thread!) My hope for an interview is dwindling I'm afraid :(. Unless they sent some invites out via snail mail only (haven't been home to get mail in over a week)?

Don't worry about it if you don't get an interview, G2D. You and I are both going to Ohio anyway, right? ;)

OOS, no email, no snail mail, no WSU :(

OOS, no email, no snail mail, no WSU :(

Same situation here. I am waiting for someone who knows what's going on in Washington to tell those of us who haven't heard anything yet if we should start crying already ;)

So who is going to be at the "pizza gathering" on the 9th? I'm hoping to arrive in time for that and then stay till my interview on the 11th.

Just so a heads up to you all, the spring semester starts the 10th, and everyone is flooding back into starting Sat/Sun Pullman due to having the dorms/sororities/frats shut down for the semester break.

Planes will be booked, weather will be horrible (I'm flying back today and it's blizzard like conditions right now, tons of snow) and the whole town will be packed.

Just so a heads up to you all, the spring semester starts the 10th, and everyone is flooding back into starting Sat/Sun Pullman due to having the dorms/sororities/frats shut down for the semester break.

Planes will be booked, weather will be horrible (I'm flying back today and it's blizzard like conditions right now, tons of snow) and the whole town will be packed.

But interviews aren't until February, right? I mean, we have to have some advance notice to make arrangements. I haven't even received any info yet via snail mail. Don't know anything about a pizza party or actual interview dates, etc..

But interviews aren't until February, right? I mean, we have to have some advance notice to make arrangements. I haven't even received any info yet via snail mail. Don't know anything about a pizza party or actual interview dates, etc..

Whoops! I figured it was January, my apologies.

@Blackangussteak, the IS interviews are in January. Mine is the 24th, and I there is at least one more set the week after. I'm super excited for the interview, hopefully the weather clears up! People keep sending me pictures of what it's like over there right now and that Spokane-Pullman drive looks like it could be a little gnarly...

Got a rejection letter today (OOS). It was dated 12/28. It says they received more than 650 applications for 15-30 spots.

Got my rejection letter yesterday as well. I must say, it was very nicely worded and made me feel like I was still worthy of vet school!

@Blackangussteak, the IS interviews are in January. Mine is the 24th, and I there is at least one more set the week after. I'm super excited for the interview, hopefully the weather clears up! People keep sending me pictures of what it's like over there right now and that Spokane-Pullman drive looks like it could be a little gnarly...

Thanks for the correction, I'm just a silly undergrad and I have to wait a few years until I'm in everyone's position now :p

The Spokane-Pullman drive is fairly level with not as many turns as Colfax-Pullman in my opinion, and most likely the weather will cooperate. It sure is beautiful here though when it snows!

Congrats to everyone that has been invited to interviews at WSU!!! I am a third year student and many of us really look forward to meeting you guys when you come!! I think that if you can fit it into your time with us, you guys should really take a tour and sit in on some classes! If you guys have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask!

just curious if anyone else is planning on trekking out to WSU from the east coast for an interview... as delighted as I am to have gotten an interview, I am suddenly getting a swift kick in the stomach by reality... regarding prices of flights/hotels/etc. Anyone find any hot deals for airfare? I am coming all the way from Philly!

Think I'll be forfeiting my interview. Can't afford to go. The Ohio State interview trip cost me $700. youch! :(

I am having serious problems sending them an email saying "NO THANKS!" even though at this point I do not think I can afford it. I am likely to go abroad for school, and need all the money I can get... someone tell me to do it already...

I think it would come off a little biased for me to tell you that you should decline the interview! :) (less competition is never a bad thing ;)) But I was really looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys!

I think it would come off a little biased for me to tell you that you should decline the interview! :) (less competition is never a bad thing ;)) But I was really looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys!

True... do me a favor and email them for me! haha I cannot bring myself to do it even though, deep deep down I know I can't afford it.

But first I should do my homework (talk about last minute huh, think its Friday we have to notify them by). Anyone here on SDN find good deals for flights? What about hotels and transportation to and from the airport. I probably should contact Washington with these questions but figured I'd see if anyone here had some insight! Thanks!

True... do me a favor and email them for me! haha I cannot bring myself to do it even though, deep deep down I know I can't afford it.

But first I should do my homework (talk about last minute huh, think its Friday we have to notify them by). Anyone here on SDN find good deals for flights? What about hotels and transportation to and from the airport. I probably should contact Washington with these questions but figured I'd see if anyone here had some insight! Thanks!

It is definitely cheaper to fly into Spokane and drive down....and there are some pretty cheap hotels in Moscow and Pullman, just try searching in both areas. Moscow is only 8 miles from Pullman, so it really isn't far to drive for the interview if you already have a rental car. I hope you are able to work something out!!! We really do have a great school!!!

Another piece of advice...make sure you get a parking pass for the day! The parking people will give you a ticket if you park in any of the green lots in front of the vet school!

Lewiston also tends to be pretty cheap to fly into, and is a little shorter of a drive than Spokane.

Lewiston also tends to be pretty cheap to fly into, and is a little shorter of a drive than Spokane.

And please note: if you're flying into Pullman and the weather isn't good (foggy/too rainy) they WILL DIVERT THE FLIGHT TO LEWISTON. So have some cash on you to cover the cab ride up. A lot of people will be in the same boat with you, so you can usually split the fare.

I applied, but I've never seen the place. I've lived in Seattle and loved it, but I know the other side of the state is WAAAYY different. Pullman seems awfully remote. And I'm not sure I could handle the cold!

I encourage anyone who is a west-sider (or city-only dweller) to visit before making any decisions. Well, I guess you'll have to be here for interviews so that'll help. But take time to check out the area and not just the vet school. You'll be here for 4 years. Seattle and Pullman are like Earth and Mars.

I don't mind because I grew up in a small town before living in Seattle for 5 years. I'm used to the the small town life, but the lack of city benefits/art/cultural activities is definitely a contrast if you're not expecting it.

Having grown up on the west side, the cold isn't that bad. It's actually pretty easy to get used to. The lack of trees is also a little weird at first, but the vast rolling hills are nice after a while. It is remote if you're used to the west side. Spokane is ~70 miles away. Our biggest store is a SuperWalmart. The mall here has a Rite-Aid *as part of the mall*. They don't have rap on the radio. And some stores will cover the Cosmo magazine like it's an adult magazine. Just little things that made me laugh when I got here. I never knew how much I was used to the city until I came back to a small town.

As a benefit of a small town, it's completely safe and boring. Feel like walking around at 2am? No problem. Don't like getting yelled at by homeless people? Still, not a problem. Hate finding parking downtown? Wow, that's so not a problem. Are you annoyed when the mile long gay pride parade blocks your traffic route? Not gonna happen here. There have been 2 times I've left my keys in my door overnight. They've always been there in the morning. People at the store know me by name. It's a small world here.

Also consider living in Moscow if you don't like Pullman. It's only 8 miles away. From my house it's ~15 minutes from leaving my door to having my butt in class. I have never, ever regretted living in Moscow and I'm glad I do. It's a good fit for me. They don't care if you're an IS student with a permanent address in WA. Probably not the best idea if you're trying to get IS residency - Moscow is in Idaho.

Best of luck to everyone coming to interview :) I'm a 3rd year if you have any questions.

Last edited:
So... if one is to fly into Pullman from a bunch of connecting flights, it makes more sense to jump in a taxi to go to a hotel versus renting a car right? I am trying to find the cheapest and most convenient travel method for my interview. It says on the website that hotels are within walking distance to the school... for those that are there, is this true? Can I fly into Pullman, catch a cab to the hotel and be able to walk around everywhere from there?

So... if one is to fly into Pullman from a bunch of connecting flights, it makes more sense to jump in a taxi to go to a hotel versus renting a car right? I am trying to find the cheapest and most convenient travel method for my interview. It says on the website that hotels are within walking distance to the school... for those that are there, is this true? Can I fly into Pullman, catch a cab to the hotel and be able to walk around everywhere from there?

I walked to my interview from the Quality Inn (listed in packets they send) - it took 10 or 15 minutes. The other hotels are close also. If you stay in those, you are a little ways away from the "downtown" pullman area, and the grocery/walmart - but still within a few minutes walk. On the upside, there is a brewery close. :)

Personally, I think that it would be much cheaper to use a cab or walk, unless you really want to see some of the surrounding areas.

One last thing, some of the hotels have free shuttles to/from the airport, you might not even need a cab.

Walking - depends on how much snow we have. Or just bring your interview shoes/clothes and change into them after walking to school.

I believe the holiday inn has a shuttle that'll take you most places in town and it's really close to school.

The Taxi from the Pullman airport is stupidly expensive (~$25-30 last time I checked) considering it's only 6-ish miles from Pullman and takes a whole 5 minutes. In years past they've had current students help with airport runs for interviews. I'm not sure if they having that going this year?

Anybody else interviewing on Monday?

:luck:Good luck to everybody!:luck:

Good luck to everyone interviewing! I had my interview this week and truly it was not as stressful as I thought. The interviewers were very nice and did not make me feel uncomfortable.

G'luck!

just booked my flight for the interview, plus hotel (quality inn)! goodbye savings, hello washington!
any other sdner's going to be in town on the 11th for an interview, probably slim to none chance but thought id ask!
also for those already there, very much looking forward to seeing the campus and meeting everyone, sadly there is no scheduled pizza party for the day i will be there, what gives?!

Is there an essay after the interview? I know there was last year. Any comments on that; easy, hard, stressful, not stressful...? I interview on Friday.

I was an in state interview, so I can't say for certain if it is the same format for out of state interviews, but there was no essay before or afterwards :)

On the WSUCVM website it says that changes this year are that there are no essays before the interview. Yay!:thumbup:

My interview is on the 8th. I'm excited!

That totally just made my day. :D :D

Good luck on your interview!

That always freaked me out about their interview process. Not only do you have to worry about the interview, now you have to think about an essay, too? I really hope it's demolished for good!