heylodeb

Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Intern
7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2009
CA
Status
Veterinarian
You might be able to call/e-mail and ask? That seems to be something people do...the admissions crew is really nice; I doubt they'd mind too much if you ask nicely about your chances, I think that's a legitimate question.
I e-mailed last week and got a very nice reply from Barbara - but very vague. General "jist" was that there is an undetermined amount of poeple put on the list each year, that they don't rank because the committee meets again whenever there are seats that are given up, and that they haven't called people off of the alternate list every year.

blackangussteak

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hey guys! If anyone needs any advice on housing or just has any questions about WSU in general, feel free to ask :)

broncogal12

WSU c/o 2015
Jun 5, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
I really hate to ask this question, but I need a peace of mind :) if we have already been accepted (and completed all prereqs), what kind of grades do we need to maintain??

Dec 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
For all of you current wsu vet students, I was wondering if you could give us an idea of how the first year will go? How much time do you spend in class, how much "free" time do you have (if any lol). Would you say it's akin to a fulltime job in terms of hours?

Thanks so much!

kekemapa04

WSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2007
Washington
Status
Veterinary Student
Any c/o 2016 applicants plan to attend this [email protected] event on April 8th? I'm strongly considering registering/attending.

C/o 2015 people: did any of you go last year and if so, how was it?

Although I am not in either of those classes I figured I would give you my two cents about [email protected] I went before I applied, which was a few years ago, but I loved it!!! They have different teachers come in and give advice about applying and how the application and selection process works at WSU. They gave us a list of what not to put in your personal statement as well as things they like to see. You also get a chance to really speak with current students and ask any questions you want. They do it on the same day as our annual CVM Open House, so you get to see all the clubs and other things that go on within the school.

I would definitely recommend going to to it if you have the opportunity! If you plan on going, make sure you get a hotel room early!!!! It is usually the same weekend as Mom's Weekend, which is always a crazy weekend.

I would love to weigh in on the first year schedule, but I know that things have changed some since I was a first year. They have added the Intro to Surgery class (learning suture patterns and how to scrub for surgery, etc) and have moved around some other classes. I will let someone closer to their first year give their input on that aspect.

blackangussteak

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Any c/o 2016 applicants plan to attend this [email protected] event on April 8th? I'm strongly considering registering/attending.

C/o 2015 people: did any of you go last year and if so, how was it?
I'm far away from applying but I registered. I'm a freshmen here at WSU and have heard great things about [email protected] Just make sure if you do attend to find a hotel quickly. Like kekemapa04 said, Mom's weekend is insane and everything books up super fast.

We should all group up together. :) More people need to go!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2010
Northern California
Status
Non-Student
Although I am not in either of those classes I figured I would give you my two cents about [email protected] I went before I applied, which was a few years ago, but I loved it!!! They have different teachers come in and give advice about applying and how the application and selection process works at WSU. They gave us a list of what not to put in your personal statement as well as things they like to see. You also get a chance to really speak with current students and ask any questions you want. They do it on the same day as our annual CVM Open House, so you get to see all the clubs and other things that go on within the school.

I would definitely recommend going to to it if you have the opportunity! If you plan on going, make sure you get a hotel room early!!!! It is usually the same weekend as Mom's Weekend, which is always a crazy weekend.

I would love to weigh in on the first year schedule, but I know that things have changed some since I was a first year. They have added the Intro to Surgery class (learning suture patterns and how to scrub for surgery, etc) and have moved around some other classes. I will let someone closer to their first year give their input on that aspect.
Awesome. I'm in. Thanks much for the advice. I'd bring my mom too but she's pushing 80 years old. ;)

Seems that Pullman isn't the easiest airport to fly into, so I'll try Spokane via Southwest and do some driving.

sbdgonzales

WSU C/O 2013
Jan 10, 2011
Status
Veterinary Student
For all of you current wsu vet students, I was wondering if you could give us an idea of how the first year will go? How much time do you spend in class, how much "free" time do you have (if any lol). Would you say it's akin to a fulltime job in terms of hours?

Thanks so much!
I think it is all relative to what you are used to. Time management is pretty important, but there is plenty of time to play. First semester honestly isn't that bad if you know how you need to study. Anatomy is a bit of a pain, but you'll get through it.

Class time will depend on your lab sections. The lab schedule is a little awkward first year, so there may be some gaps where you are on campus waiting for a class. The best day I had first semester, I could leave by noon, and the worst not until 5.

Free time is also pretty variable. Some weeks, you won't have any (usually due to pesky exams :(). Others, you might get bored. Class is only part of vet school -most of us stay busy with clubs, extracurricular stuff, and the vet school festivities that tend to go on during the weekends.

Adding the Intro to Surgery to the first year was a actually great move. It lets us learn something clinical to start off, and opens up a lot of opportunities in externships, and in the hospital if you are in the right place at the right time. The downside is that junior surgery is coming down the tracks really fast for my class, and it's been a long time since we learned that stuff. However, some of the surgeons have put together a "practice" curriculum, where we do closures/lumpectomies/anastomoses, etc. I'm fairly sure that this will continue for other classes.

It's really hard to describe first year (barring specific questions). It's a culture shock, at times way better and and at times way worse than undergrad, but I never had a day where I wanted to be anywhere else. The best advice I can give you is to Not Stress!

broncogal12

WSU c/o 2015
Jun 5, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
Awesome. I'm in. Thanks much for the advice. I'd bring my mom too but she's pushing 80 years old. ;)

Seems that Pullman isn't the easiest airport to fly into, so I'll try Spokane via Southwest and do some driving.
I flew into Spokane and drove down, the drive was pleasant and about 65 miles I think... my interview was my first time visiting Pullman and I had a wonderful first impression of the vet school!

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
I flew into Spokane and drove down, the drive was pleasant and about 65 miles I think... my interview was my first time visiting Pullman and I had a wonderful first impression of the vet school!
You could even get a hotel in Spokane if the ones in Pullman get all booked up - just make sure you're staying on the west side - which is downtown (or you could even stay in Cheney), rather than the east side (out in the valley) which would add like 30 min to your drive. Assuming you are taking the Pullman highway.

I live on the west side of Spokane and I did the drive in under 90 minutes in the POURING rain, might be a little faster with the nice weather you're sure to have in April :)

cwazy cat lady

Slave to Felines
10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
La-La Land
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I am going, although I am not sure how much I will attend the events. I am going to be class of 2015. I wanted to just visit one more time to see the school, sit in on a couple of classes, and, very importantly, also look at potential places to live. I would be happy to meet up with anyone if you wanted--depending on when. Anyone else going?

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
I really wanted to, but it's 5 days before I get home :(

idahoequestrian

WSU CVM c/o 2015!
Dec 27, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
Hello future classmates (yay!)!!! Since this thread hasn't been too active lately, I thought we could share why we chose WSU. So here's my answer...

The faculty - they are absolutely amazing, friendly, and approachable. I have been beyond impressed every time I have visited

The location - only 2 hours from my parent's house...hell yes, home-cooked meals!

The program - the equine medicine/surgery program is fantastic with a good caseload, plus great facilities/equipment

The price - I'm an ID resident, so I get in-state tuition. BONUS.

The atmosphere - I love the laid-back, friendly, fun atmosphere that WSU gives off; it seems like such a great community

I can't wait hearing what everyone else has to say! GO COUGS!

broncogal12

WSU c/o 2015
Jun 5, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
Hello future classmates (yay!)!!! Since this thread hasn't been too active lately, I thought we could share why we chose WSU. So here's my answer...

The faculty - they are absolutely amazing, friendly, and approachable. I have been beyond impressed every time I have visited

The location - only 2 hours from my parent's house...hell yes, home-cooked meals!

The program - the equine medicine/surgery program is fantastic with a good caseload, plus great facilities/equipment

The price - I'm an ID resident, so I get in-state tuition. BONUS.

The atmosphere - I love the laid-back, friendly, fun atmosphere that WSU gives off; it seems like such a great community

I can't wait hearing what everyone else has to say! GO COUGS!
I would have to agree with all of those!! I was so impressed with how friendly everyone was at the vet school, PLUS I felt like they were "my kinda people" haha :laugh:
I currently work for 3 doctors who went to WSU and I aspire to be like them some day!!

hmk

Jan 23, 2011
cave creek, az
Status
Pre-Veterinary
just checking to see if anyone has received the giant packet yet?!

andddd..

I picked Washington State because they made me feel like I belonged there. The students, faculty, everyone was so wonderful. Also, there was this strange doorway type thing that was oddly shaped and it said "ninja exit only" on it. Pretty awesome.

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
YEAH, I'm eating those words now! This is literally the worst spring we've ever had in Spokane. It broke records for being so cold and so terrible.

I chose WSU for basically all the same reasons listed above: I was really, really, really impressed with the faculty and students. Everybody was welcoming and friendly; I could totally picture myself there. Also, I know several great vets who graduated from there, and they're awesome :)

NVdalgal

5+ Year Member
May 16, 2011
Nevada
Status
Veterinary Student
Hello WSU thread! I have been following this thread since I had my interview back in February but I'm now a member so I can post on here! I am and OOS alternate and was wondering if any of my fellow alternates have heard anything or know of anyone that has been called off!?

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
Hello! I'll be a first year, I have a great house and I'm looking for another vet student to room with. Your rent would be $450/mo + 250 deposit + 1/2 monthly utilities. You would have your own bathroom. There are a washer and dryer, dishwasher, air conditioning, pretty much everything.

It's about 2 miles from the school, in a nice neighborhood (away from all the apt complexes and undergrads). I have a small dog who isn't *great* with other dogs (small dogs might be OK), cats are fine (I also have a cat who loves everything). There is an additional pet deposit.

The lease starts August 1st. I signed a 2-year lease, so I'll be there for 2 years; it's fine if you only want to do 1 year though.

PM me for more details, we can talk or even meet in person if you're in the Spokane/Pullman area. I also have a few pictures of the house.

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
*bump*

I'm shamelessly using this thread to look for a roommate...:D

Allthingsequine

WSU CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
*bump*

I'm shamelessly using this thread to look for a roommate...:D
Have you set up your vetmed email account yet? Once you do, you can also try sending an email to each class. If you just type class of 2015, 2014, etc, in the "to" box it will automatically send an email to all of the members of that class. Just an idea to help you reach a wider audience than SDN :) Good luck in the roommate hunt!

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
Thank you, that's a great idea. I have contact info for my own class but had no idea how to reach upperclassmen :)

lareinesoleil

WSU CVM c/o 2015!!!
Sep 15, 2010
great state of WA
Status
Veterinary Student
*bump*

I was hoping one of you current WSU-ers could tell me a little bit more about COLE? All the info I've gotten so far is super vague. I get that we'll be "team-building", but what exactly are we gonna be doing up there for 3 days? Is it fun? Tell me about it :)

I can't believe it's already here!!!