Washington Applicants c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't POSSIBLY be the only one applying this year. Anyone? :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just an undergrad at WSU but I love it here! I hope more people are applying :)

I'm applying there! I did a trip up there eariler this year and loved the school. I've really got my fingers crossed for WSU! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied, but I've never seen the place. I've lived in Seattle and loved it, but I know the other side of the state is WAAAYY different. Pullman seems awfully remote. And I'm not sure I could handle the cold!

Although I can't answer any questions about the vet school itself I tell you all about the town and other aspects of the school if anyone wishes. :) (weather, good places to live/eat, etc).

I applied as well. I know of at least 5 of my classmates at school that have applied this cycle to WSU. I love this side of the mountains and Spokane is really not to far if you feel the need for the City.

Me too! I applied to WSU (I live in Spokane), as well as CSU.

I've applied... also applied to other places, but WSU is my best chance and I'd get IS tuition, as opposed to OOS for the other schools.

I'm an OOS'er, and I'll admit it - I've never even been to the state, let alone the school. Inside info from locals? How cold is it, REALLY? How's the landscape, and weather in general, and Pullman itself?

Inside info from locals? How cold is it, REALLY? How's the landscape, and weather in general, and Pullman itself?

Not exactly a local, grew up on the west side of the mountains but I've been here for the past 5 months, so I guess I can give you some details. :)

I'm in love with Pullman. I love both the city and the country, and I'm very good at keeping myself occupied in small towns. I admit that there isn't much to do besides go out to eat, watch a movie, and party (although I don't participate). There are a lot of outdoorsy things to do throughout the year, and the school usually has plenty things to entertain you with (games, concerts, etc).

Negative aspect that people hear about is the partying, but it's mainly undergrads. If you get into vet school anywhere, I sincerely doubt that many people are going to succumb to the temptation, especially since vet school is a lot of work/studying so there is hardly anytime besides stopping at the bar after an exam or going out with friends once in a while. A lot of people give the excuse that there is nothing to do except party. Hmpf, they aren't creative.

The wheat/lentil fields are gorgeous until they are plowed. Then it gets rather bland and unappealing. Throughout the time I've been here, it's not uncommon to see at least 3 different kinds of raptors daily flying above the fields and roosting on nearby posts. To me this was amazing, and I absolutely love pointing them out. Also, each night I get a visit by two different kinds of local owls that like to perch directly on top of my bedroom window overhang. Great horned owls and another breed that I haven't been able to identify.

Recently it's been rather cold, but it is middle of November. It's been a little above freezing lately, dipping below in the night. No snow yet, but it's going to hit us rather soon I think. This year it's supposed to be a rather bad winter, but it's been a nice few years with minimal snowfall. During the summer, I love the heat. It's dry heat, which personally I think is better than humid heat.

Right now, I'm living in a pet friendly apartment complex (nicest one in town, pricey too). It's mostly quiet and I haven't had any issues with any neighbors or their animals being too noisy or aggressive. They have a dog park and allow any kind of pet, no breed restrictions and no pet deposit. I know a lot of other complexes that although they are cheap, they look horrible, have noise issues, and people don't pick up after their dogs.

I currently have my two year old African Grey parrot with my newly obtained Corgi pup and a turtle, and I don't have to notify them if I get another pet unless it's one that I take out on a leash/can vaccinate/can put a collar on.

Whew. Sorry to talk so much! If you have other questions, I have no issue answering them :)

One more thing :oops:

A lot of people are skeptical of Pullman when they first come here, but I've only met a few people who absolutely don't like it. Of course they love their hometowns better, but they come to find they like it more than they first did.

Don't let your first impression get the better of you. Not saying that everyone will love it, but give it a chance :)

I'm applying too, OOS! I haven't been to the campus before, but I know a resident there and she has had fantastic things to say about the school and the teaching hospital. So I figured I'd give it a shot!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied as a WICHE applicant. I'm a bit apprehensive because I'm more of a big city person, but hey! If they want me, I will be there. I'm sure studying will keep me occupied anyhow. :)

I was starting to wonder if there were any WSU c/o 2015 applicants out there! Glad to hear there are a few, because WSU CVM is really fantastic. I am a first year vet student here and couldn't be happier. I was initially apprehensive about living in Pullman, but honestly it isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. There's not a whole lot to do here, but as a vet student I find I have very little free time anyway, and I actually think it can be kind of beneficial not having a lot of the distractions of the city. And of course we do have several good restaurants, movie theaters, etc, as well as lots to do on campus. I can't really speak for the cold, having not spent a winter here yet, but I can say fall was beautiful!
If anyone has any questions about the vet school, the program, or anything WSU-related just let me know, and good luck to all of you!

I also applied! I am OOS from the east coast (Mass). Never been to the west coast, but I heard people say great things about the school, so I decided to apply. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Another OOS-er here to! My information has been limited to researching the internet and talking to a friend who used to live up in that area. I think the small-town atmosphere would be best for me coming from such a rural area myself....
But they don't take very many OOS-ers and I'm not WICHE or anything like that.....so feels like a longshot.

Email just arrived...

Application complete and being reviewed.

It mentions applications for the Fall 2010 session. sigh. Another school that copies and pastes their messages from the year before without proofreading them.

Anyway, I figure it's a good sign. Interview invites soon, perhaps?

Email just arrived...

It mentions applications for the Fall 2010 session. sigh. Another school that copies and pastes their messages from the year before without proofreading them.

I did not receive said email, time to panic?

EDIT: I JUST GOT IT... literally as I sent that... I am quick to panic...

Last edited:
Email just arrived...

Yeah! I got mine today also!!!

Ditto this! Cue panic attacks!

But since OOS interviews aren't until Feb, I guess I won't really panic. Currently too worried about Ohio having already started sending interview invites! :barf:

I applied OOS as well.. no word yet on the app being complete. On the online portal my "wiche status is not present" but everything else is complete.

Anybody know what date last year they sent out the interview invites (and declines)?
It helps to have a date in mind other than "sometime in January"...

Anybody know what date last year they sent out the interview invites (and declines)?
It helps to have a date in mind other than "sometime in January"...

Based on last year's thread, looks like invites started going out Jan 2nd ish.

So I went to my mailbox today and there was a single letter inside... from WSU CVM. My heart started pounding in my chest I was so nervous to open it but then I opened it and read the letter and I freaked out a little more! It said that they're very interested in me and if WICHE support comes through for me in January I will be offered admission!! :biglove: :biglove: I know I'm not admitted yet but I am still so beyond excited!! I am scheduling an interview to be considered for OOS if I don't get funded. I can't believe it. :love: I never even got an application complete email!

So I went to my mailbox today and there was a single letter inside... from WSU CVM. My heart started pounding in my chest I was so nervous to open it but then I opened it and read the letter and I freaked out a little more! It said that they're very interested in me and if WICHE support comes through for me in January I will be offered admission!! :biglove: :biglove: I know I'm not admitted yet but I am still so beyond excited!! I am scheduling an interview to be considered for OOS if I don't get funded. I can't believe it. :love: I never even got an application complete email!

Thats Awesome!!!! Congrats :)

I was informed by e-mail today that I got an interview! :D

They are sending me a snail mail with the details so I don't know when it actually is yet. But I'm so excited!!!

I know I posted in the interview thread, but I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!! :wow: i'm so incredibly excited!!!!! :biglove:

We OOS applicants shouldn't be hearing about interviews for a little while yet. They're supposed to do IS first (according to the portal anyway).

I know last year they sent out all the rejections/interviews by snail mail for OOS on the Saturday of MLK weekend - I knew it was coming that day and was snowboarding, but made my mom call as soon as she got the letter. Bad idea, snowboarding wasn't too fun after that.
Saw the invites from today and was hoping they might be earlier, but we probably still have another month to check the mail in anticipation. :scared:

Congratulations to everyone whom has gotten an interview. As an OOS applicant I am relieved by the thought that they haven't started sending OOS invites.

lol I hope this isn't too far off base of a question but, in regard to actual date is that your hopeful grad yr of vet school? Or year you expect to apply as freshman?

Hey everyone, I'm an OOSer applying to WSU CVM this year, and it is my DREAM school! I love that clinicals are such an integral part of the curriculum from day one! I wish I could go out and visit...

Anyway, I'd like to ask your honest opinions about my chances. I'm a resident of Illinois but go to school in Ohio. I have a couple thousand hours working in veterinary settings (from foals and crias to dogs and cats) as well as volunteering at the local humane society. I'm pretty sure my recommendations were good. I got a recommendation from a doctor I've been working for only since July because I doctor I had worked for for several years recently passed away :(. I also got a recommendation from a woman who I have babysat for since I was 12 years old (her's was short, sweet, to the point...I hope they like that! It was very kind) and a professor who (I think) wrote a pretty solid letter.

My GPA has suffered a lot over my years in college due to health reasons (I got meningitis my freshman year, skin cancer in my early college years, and I have had back problems since I was 17, and I explained this all in the "additional info" section). But I did get it back up to a 3.000 this quarter and my transcripts should be going out any day now. My GRE is an 1130 (twice) and my personal statement was pretty outstanding (or so I've been told...).

I also come from an economically disadvantaged family, and I've made them aware of that. I really want your honest opinions. I know being an OOSer really diminishes my chances, but I read on their stats for the classes of 2013 and 2014 that they have taken people with really low GPAs! Do you think I can hopefully be your classmate next fall? :) Thanks!!

....I know being an OOSer really diminishes my chances, but I read on their stats for the classes of 2013 and 2014 that they have taken people with really low GPAs! Do you think I can hopefully be your classmate next fall? :) Thanks!!

Why are you asking us? How would we know? The only people who could answer your question are the members of the adcom, and you are in the process of asking them, so sit tight.

I know it's unnerving to wait, but we're all in the same boat. None of us really knows our chances of a positive outcome. Hang in there.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten interview invites, and good luck to everyone still waiting! Let me know if you have any questions.

Why are you asking us? How would we know? The only people who could answer your question are the members of the adcom, and you are in the process of asking them, so sit tight.

I know it's unnerving to wait, but we're all in the same boat. None of us really knows our chances of a positive outcome. Hang in there.

I know that I am not native to the vet forums....but surely this response is not warranted. People often want to know from their peers and cohort where they stand and especially new people want to know if anyone has current information. That holds true for any of the professions on SDN. Good Luck to everyone on your Vet school applications.

IamAriDO

I know that I am not native to the vet forums....but surely this response is not warranted. People often want to know from their peers and cohort where they stand and especially new people want to know if anyone has current information. That holds true for any of the professions on SDN. Good Luck to everyone on your Vet school applications.

IamAriDO

I didn't find that post rude at all. Maybe some people would like some extra smileys in there to lighten the mood but I think LivestockDoc just pointed out that none of us have any idea! I have no idea if I'll get an interview at Washington so I can't tell anyone else if they'll get an interview.

Crossing my fingers for myself and everyone else on here for Washington :xf:

I didn't find that post rude at all. Maybe some people would like some extra smileys in there to lighten the mood but I think LivestockDoc just pointed out that none of us have any idea! I have no idea if I'll get an interview at Washington so I can't tell anyone else if they'll get an interview.

Exactly. Thanks, chinola.

I applied, and I recently received notification that I got an interview! =) WSU is my top choice, so I'm super excited.

I applied, and I recently received notification that I got an interview! =) WSU is my top choice, so I'm super excited.

I got an interview invite today!!!!! I can't believe it! Now for the prepping and the outfit and the flights and the YAY!!!!:soexcited:

IamAriDO

Medical school applicants kind of have it down to a science - you guys can kind of generally guess who you might get an interview from. It's not the same with vet schools - they pass over some stellar applicants for not-as-stellar. It's less of a numbers game (GPA, GRE) and more of a ...random crapshoot.

This might be a stupid question, but do I need to submit an official fall transcript even if my interview invite says to bring an unofficial one to the interview??