Washington University in St. Louis-Only care about stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are some schools on the flip side too, which is interesting. SLU has median accepted GPAs of 3.9 for both cumulative and science...

Members don't see this ad.

There are some schools on the flip side too, which is interesting. SLU has median accepted GPAs of 3.9 for both cumulative and science...

Yeah but the 10th percentile GPA stats are pretty low in the 3.5 territory. That's what really matters for your typical borderline applicant and why you'll see Goro always recommend it to your typical 3.6/31 type applicant.

There are schools that are the reverse of Hofstra that is true. Even new ones. FSU's median MCAT is around a 28(if you want to still call FSU new).

"Hofstra, med school of choice for Ivy Leaguers, who weren't good enough to have other choices" lmao

More like reader reaction: Dayum, those kids coulda done better

Let's get you into Harvard or Yale before you squawk too much about all the med schools you think suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's get you into Harvard or Yale before you squawk too much about all the med schools you think suck.
Hofstra definitely does not suck. I even mentioned the sheer mammoth strength of the LIJ system in the Quinnipiac post previously. LIJ is not to be messed with when you're talking about hospitals in NY state. I was just playing along with your little Ivy League comment. I have a hard time seeing Hofstra market itself as a destination for Ivy Leaguers; the demand for the school just isn't there yet.

I think Quinnipiac as an overall university sucks, but not Netter b/c it's still an MD school and vastly superior to the rest of the school (as I again previously mentioned)

Are you guys really complaining about a med school valuing MCAT scores over all else? Oh! The horror!

I suppose if you don't like it there are still ~150 other schools in the country you could apply to.

Reputation before rank, sir.

Imagine this slogan -- "Hofstra, med school of choice for Ivy Leaguers"

Just to add, especially maybe for Hofstra:

Imagine that people from elite ivy-type UGs are more likely to want to go into a specialty field (not a ridiculous assumption). Given they scored well on the MCAT, what follows is a student body who does well on step and matches to competitive residencies. This looks very good for Hofstra.

May be less true for Quinn, since it has a primary care bent.

Given Quinnipac's focus and mission I'm not sure if they are in the same mode of gunning for top stats and trying to rise to national recognition and shoot up people's rankings the same way other schools like Hofstra's might be. Obviously all schools want to establish themselves and gain respect which is why you see some do what Hofstra has done but given their mission and overall theme, I'm not sure what they want corresponds or meshes with what schools who want to boost their rep do. And I think they probably know that as well.

The fact there MCAT score mean has risen 3 points the past 3 years doesn't tell all that much; many schools opening classes have abnormally lower stats that rise within a few years. While Hofstra's median MCAT score will keep rising(it's possible I could see them like a Case Western 3.8/36 median stat profile in the not so distance future) I'm not sure I'd anticipate Quinnipac's rising past that 32-33 range typical of many lower tiers.

The school that will interest me in coming years is Seton Hall. There is a lot of potential there and New Jersey has needed a school like that with ties to the NY region(Cooper Rowan complements it fairly nicely). Perhaps they could follow Hofstra's model as well to some extent although admittedly I know little about the school's overall mission.

I would guess they also would be OK with trendy-sounding LACs that will look good in a list of undergrad institutions of matriculants (even like an Oberlin, Macalester, Whitman, Colby, Bates, etc).

I would replace that with Carleton or St. Olaf; Mac is good just not = to those two; plus Carleton is #33 on list of Top 50 for 2015 (which kind of blows my mind, tbh)

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/rankings/top-50/

Say your school name in front of a mirror and see if it sounds good.

Depending on how **** your GPA is, that matters too. If it's below 3.2-3.3, I still wouldn't bother.

What would be the cutoff? Top 30? Top 20?

I would replace that with Carleton or St. Olaf; Mac is good just not = to those two; plus Carleton is #33 on list of Top 50 for 2015 (which kind of blows my mind, tbh)

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/rankings/top-50/

Not sure where you dug up this ranking that I've never seen before. Berea College (in KY) over the Columbia and Middlebury??? In any case, I've also never seen ANY ranking that had St. Olaf ahead of Macalester.

Not sure where you dug up this ranking that I've never seen before. Berea College (in KY) over the Columbia and Middlebury??? In any case, I've also never seen ANY ranking that had St. Olaf ahead of Macalester.

Google tends to be my BFF. Ole is generally considered > Mac. (I'm from up there)

Google tends to be my BFF. Ole is generally considered > Mac. (I'm from up there)

I was trying to be nice in the first response. Think you may have lost your mind. Carleton, Grinnell, Oberlin, Mac, Kenyon ALL >>> St. Olaf in the Midwest.

What would be the cutoff? Top 30? Top 20?
There's obviously no hard cutoff.

Just apply and hope for the best, sounds like your school is at least above average.

@avgn It won't matter when Hofstra cracks the top 30/40, which given its resources, location, and recruiting strategy is quite likely.

Nah. My $$$ is on South Harmon Institute of Tech - College of Medicine

Reactions: 1 user
I had a good friend of mine apply broadly and smartly with a 39. His EC's were very lacking though. The only school he gained acceptance to was Wash U. Very impressive though! He was quite brilliant, 39 mcat wow! I have no doubt he'll be a great physician in a top specialty.

It seems like a lot of schools rejected him because his numbers were too high for them and the top schools rejected him because of his lack of EC's.

Giant facepalm. This just made me even more displeased with the process of applying.

Giant facepalm. This just made me even more displeased with the process of applying.
This kind of thing has happened to a couple applicants IMO. People like ace khalifa who had a high mcat but no research got yield protected from lower end and no interest from upper end research giants. Did end up with a solid middle acceptance though!

Reactions: 1 user