This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you done file reviews of your interviews in the past? If not, be sure to do one this year so you know what you need to improve upon and how you can make yourself a stronger candidate. There was a person in our class who had 5 interviews before she finally got in.

I know it's heartbreaking to wait another year, but you can get in if you keep working at it!
Thank you. Unfortunately this was my first interview. I wasn’t competitive enough in BC the first two years so I only just got an interview this year as a SK resident. It seems like my grades were fine here but the lack of farm animal experience killed me. :( I felt like the interview went great so it was a total shock to my system to see my result. I’ll never give up, I just hate that the rest of my life is on hold while I put all my focus on this one aspect of my life and I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. One day.

Members don't see this ad.

I got in to UCVM too! What a surreal day.

Congratulations to everyone who made it this year, and best of luck to everyone who will be reapplying!

Reactions: 5 users
I finally got the e-mail about the letters and I noticed they aren’t doing the non-IPA seats anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a call about an hour ago from Dr. Singh at UCVM! I can’t believe it! I have heard amazing things about both programs, so it will be a difficult decision! I am so overwhelmed and grateful for these opportunities! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear and congrats to everyone who has been offered acceptance!! :soexcited:

Congratulations!! What an accomplishment :claps: Curious as to what letter your last name starts with?

Congratulations!! What an accomplishment :claps: Curious as to what letter your last name starts with?
Thank you so much! My last name starts with L. I'm not sure if they are doing the calls alphabetically or not. Best of luck!! :)

Thank you. Unfortunately this was my first interview. I wasn’t competitive enough in BC the first two years so I only just got an interview this year as a SK resident. It seems like my grades were fine here but the lack of farm animal experience killed me. :( I felt like the interview went great so it was a total shock to my system to see my result. I’ll never give up, I just hate that the rest of my life is on hold while I put all my focus on this one aspect of my life and I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. One day.

You got your first interview which (in my opinion) is the toughest part!! The progress seems slow, but the fact how you got an interview shows that you are getting somewhere! Take this year to gain some new experiences and I am sure it will make a big difference for your next interview :)

Reactions: 1 user
You got your first interview which (in my opinion) is the toughest part!! The progress seems slow, but the fact how you got an interview shows that you are getting somewhere! Take this year to gain some new experiences and I am sure it will make a big difference for your next interview :)
Thank you very much for the words of encouragement. I’ll try my best. :)

Got a call from Dr. Singh at 4! Poor guy had to hear me say omg like ten times lool. Cant wait to meet you all!!

Reactions: 4 users
Got a call from Dr. Singh at around 4:45. I actually missed it. Listening to that voicemail OMG.

Guys it took me 5 years to get in and 4 tries. If this is what you want to do, you can do it! It took me a MSc, working for a huge agricultural company, and persistence to get in. Upgrade your GPA, prep for the MMI and essay, get some hands-on experience and you can do it! I was about to give up this year but don't pull a me!

Thank you very much for the words of encouragement. I’ll try my best. :)
Make sure to ask for a file review. This will let you know if you need to improve on your GPA, or your interview (experience, knowledge, etc)

I finally got the e-mail about the letters and I noticed they aren’t doing the non-IPA seats anymore.
What exactly did they say? We haven't had anything emailed to us so I'm curious what is going on with it all.

I'm happy they aren't doing that though; it hurts me to know people might go into so much debt when they were close enough to potentially improve their app and get a sponsored seat the next year.

What exactly did they say? We haven't had anything emailed to us so I'm curious what is going on with it all.

I'm happy they aren't doing that though; it hurts me to know people might go into so much debt when they were close enough to potentially improve their app and get a sponsored seat the next year.

Basically it says they are delaying it while the provincial partners negotiate the new Interprovincial agreement. It also says that they’re still considering it for Fall 2020 entry. It doesn’t mention anything about the interest level towards it.

Congrats to everyone who got in! Excited to meet you UCVM folk this year though I am now in the "elusive" 4th year class which makes me a ghost, apparently! Haha

If anyone has any questions about ucvm, feel free to message me or @awesomenessity or both of us! We're currently pretty busy on rotations but usually have time in the evenings to catch up on things.

Members don't see this ad :)

Personally I was disappointed to hear that they aren’t doing it. At this point I would have gladly accepted it. I figure back up plans of Grenada cost that much anyway, so to stay in Canada for the same amount of debt would have been worth it in my opinion.

Personally I was disappointed to hear that they aren’t doing it. At this point I would have gladly accepted it. I figure back up plans of Grenada cost that much anyway, so to stay in Canada for the same amount of debt would have been worth it in my opinion.

Look as someone who got accepted to the Royal Veterinary College in the UK (on the off chance I got their full-ride scholarship) that debt just isn't worth it to become a veterinarian. At best you're going to make 80-90k coming out (say if you go into poultry), but living like a student on 20k a year and putting the rest towards your debt is still going to take 10 years to pay off. I'm sure you would rather come out with 100-120k debt and live like a student for 2 years to pay it off in 2 years instead.

Look as someone who got accepted to the Royal Veterinary College in the UK (on the off chance I got their full-ride scholarship) that debt just isn't worth it to become a veterinarian. At best you're going to make 80-90k coming out (say if you go into poultry), but living like a student on 20k a year and putting the rest towards your debt is still going to take 10 years to pay off. I'm sure you would rather come out with 100-120k debt and live like a student for 2 years to pay it off in 2 years instead.
That’s true, but hypothetically if I had gone to a more expensive school three years ago (if they accepted me), I would almost be done and be able to start a career. At this point I’m just working retail jobs, so in a way it is like losing money for every year I don’t get in somewhere. At some point waiting might outweigh the greater debt.

That was one of the key points that the admin staff were making, and I agree that it has some merit. The part that I cringe at is that the people who would be accepted would be SO CLOSE that they could potentially be doing the same thing at less than 1/4 the cost if they had just waited a year or two. I certainly respect whatever people choose for themselves though, and know a few people who went internationally for school since they didn't want to apply year after year without feeling confident they would be accepted. :) Alas the school needs the money so whether other provinces pick up seats or they do this, it needs to come from somewhere and I understand that.

I come from the situation where I was never going to be willing to spend over 100,000 on a vet degree, and if I hadn't gotten into WCVM after doing all that I could I would have found a different career. That definitely impacts my views.

Reactions: 2 users
So happy for everyone who got in!! I got wait-listed at the WCVM! That yay and boo feeling at the same time but feeling grateful overall. I bet we'll know by next week. :D :nailbiting:

Also got my UCVM acceptance around 5pm today ! Cant wait to meet everyone, will also be looking at moving closer to school (with my pup) so let me know if anyone is interested in the same!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all! I kind of disappeared last year after I was discouraged from my interview and rejection, but I am so excited to say that I applied again and I got accepted for WCVM! I am beyond excited to meet you all!!! :love:

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations everyone on your acceptances!!! And I'm sending all the patience and good luck to those on the wait list! :giggle: I know it's stressful but you're so close!
Im going into my 3rd year at UCVM and a bunch of my classmates (including myself after I was told the class was full) were called off the wait list so there is hope!
If you have any questions at all I'm more than happy to chat or listen if you need to talk!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm another one who came off the waitlist into UCVM. It can be done.

Congratulations to everyone who got good news!

Basically it says they are delaying it while the provincial partners negotiate the new Interprovincial agreement. It also says that they’re still considering it for Fall 2020 entry. It doesn’t mention anything about the interest level towards it.

There was an article on VIN about the pilot project and two-tier tuition system and in the article Dean Douglass Freeman said that "...150 said they wanted to be considered for open seats if they were not accepted in the first round."

Reactions: 1 users
There was an article on VIN about the pilot project and two-tier tuition system and in the article Dean Douglass Freeman said that "...150 said they wanted to be considered for open seats if they were not accepted in the first round."

Well its no surprise really. People want to get into veterinary school, but people need to realize also that despite how awesome of a career this is, it is not something to go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for.

Canadians have it lucky relative to Americans, but compared to Australians and NZ, and Europeans we pay out the ying yang.

I got into WCVM from the Manitoba pool, excited to meet you all! :happy:

Hi friends, wondering if anyone from UCVM could share some advice on housing! I learned that we often have to alternate between the 2 campuses so is it rare for students to not have a vehicle? @SARdoghandler @awesomenessity thank you in advance :)

I would also love recommendations for nice, pet-friendly apartments near the WCVM campus! Bussing distance would be preferable :)

Last edited:
I would also love recommendations for nice, pet-friendly apartments near campus! Bussing distance would be preferable :)
If you're talking about UCVM there's no bus to CSB and I don't recommend the walk from the closest stop. It's an unlit road with no sidewalk and lots of gravel trucks.

If you're talking about UCVM there's no bus to CSB and I don't recommend the walk from the closest stop. It's an unlit road with no sidewalk and lots of gravel trucks.

I just edited my post: I meant WCVM but I really appreciate your reply! I bet lots of UCVM students will find your post very helpful!

Hi friends, wondering if anyone from UCVM could share some advice on housing! I learned that we often have to alternate between the 2 campuses so is it rare for students to not have a vehicle? @SARdoghandler @awesomenessity thank you in advance :)

What Squeaks said is true. If you do not have a vehicle, it is doable in that you could get a classmate to drive you every day from the train station (15 minutes away) or walk from the nearest bus stop but it is sketchy and having a car is 100% the better way to go if you can swing it. As a first year you'll be spending 60% or more of your time at csb and 40% of your time at foothills. It's rare that you switch campuses within one school day but I do think it happened once or twice to last year's first years (never for my class). Most people looking for housing will try to get close to one of the campuses but having a car will still be needed to get to csb and also allows you to have a wider search area for housing as both of those areas can be pricey (though Calgary in general is just pricey as a whole unless you are really far away from campuses - I lived that hardcore communter life for the first 3 years)

I would also love recommendations for nice, pet-friendly apartments near the WCVM campus! Bussing distance would be preferable :)
Hey! :)

If you wait a couple weeks Paige will send out a "Welcome to 2023" email which includes a list of housing ads. Lots of those ones are pet friendly (since the vet students stake them out lol). I'd recommend starting there, but there is always stuff on Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace as well.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Well its no surprise really. People want to get into veterinary school, but people need to realize also that despite how awesome of a career this is, it is not something to go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for.

Canadians have it lucky relative to Americans, but compared to Australians and NZ, and Europeans we pay out the ying yang.

I want to mention that although many students regret taking on that kind of debt, I have also met some who do not regret it and told me they would do it again in a heartbeat if it meant they could be a veterinarian.

Just keep in mind that for some people, a lifelong career in veterinary medicine is worth that amount of money.

I’ve been waitlisted at both UCVM and WCVM... and I thought I was overthinking before offers came out! 48 hours in and I feel like I might go crazy.

For those of you who got acceptance/waitlist offers at both schools, have you made a decision yet? When is the deadline to decide? Tell me things to soothe my anxious heart!

What Squeaks said is true. If you do not have a vehicle, it is doable in that you could get a classmate to drive you every day from the train station (15 minutes away) or walk from the nearest bus stop but it is sketchy and having a car is 100% the better way to go if you can swing it. As a first year you'll be spending 60% or more of your time at csb and 40% of your time at foothills. It's rare that you switch campuses within one school day but I do think it happened once or twice to last year's first years (never for my class). Most people looking for housing will try to get close to one of the campuses but having a car will still be needed to get to csb and also allows you to have a wider search area for housing as both of those areas can be pricey (though Calgary in general is just pricey as a whole unless you are really far away from campuses - I lived that hardcore communter life for the first 3 years)
Ahh okay thank you and @Squeaksmom so much!! It sounds like investing in a car is the right decision for me :)

I’ve been waitlisted at both UCVM and WCVM... and I thought I was overthinking before offers came out! 48 hours in and I feel like I might go crazy.

For those of you who got acceptance/waitlist offers at both schools, have you made a decision yet? When is the deadline to decide? Tell me things to soothe my anxious heart!
I'm still mulling over my decision between UCVM and WCVM but the deadline for first round offers to respond is on Friday.

I was a waitlister last year and I remember how stressful those days were. The best advice I can give is to try and keep busy to avoid obsessing

Does anyone know how many people WCVM usually puts on their alternate waitlist, and how many normally come off of it? I have heard lots about UCVM waitlist but not so much WCVM!

Does anyone know how many people WCVM usually puts on their alternate waitlist, and how many normally come off of it? I have heard lots about UCVM waitlist but not so much WCVM!

Shauna told me that 16 people were put on the alternate list for AB. I’m not sure about the other provinces, and not sure how many people get off of it!

Last edited:
Just curious what GPA those of you who got into UCVM had? If anyone is comfortable sharing, that would be amazing! Thanks so much!

I’m also curious about this!

I believe they put ~10 people on the waitlist (at least for AB as it can move so much when people decide UCVM or WCVM). I think for AB the waitlist can move substantially. I heard that last year so many people chose UCVM that WCVM had to call people that weren't even on the waitlist.

So don't lose hope!

I believe they put ~10 people on the waitlist (at least for AB as it can move so much when people decide UCVM or WCVM). I think for AB the waitlist can move substantially. I heard that last year so many people chose UCVM that WCVM had to call people that weren't even on the waitlist.

So don't lose hope!

Thank you @CanadatoUS2019! I understand that Alberta alternate listers would have a higher chance of acceptance because there are two schools there. I’m more curious about the MB pool, as that’s where I’m applying from! I’m curious if anyone knows anything about the movement of the MB alternate list!

I found out on Friday that I was accepted by UCVM!!!! Still so surreal, I am so excited. I am excited to meet everyone at UCVM this Fall! I will also be removing my name from the alternate list at WCVM, so good luck to all of you who are waiting on that! To those who didn't get in this cycle, don't lose hope. This was my second time applying and I put in a lot more time and preparation for the interviews and it paid off!

Reactions: 8 users
Shauna told me that 12 people were put on the alternate list for AB. I’m not sure about the other provinces, and not sure how many people get off of it!
I think the other provinces only have 2 people on the waitlist, if I remember correctly. I may be wrong though. @TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo Do you know?

I got in to WCVM from MB. Anyone else from MB get in... and possibly looking for a roommate?
Congratulations to all that got in and for those that didn’t never give up!

Question for current students who moved from out of province - was it a hassle to get your vehicle inspected and registered in Saskatchewan? I am planning on selling my car (it is not winter ready!) and I’m debating buying a new one in BC, or waiting till I move and buying one in Saskatoon. Any advice ?

Question for current students who moved from out of province - was it a hassle to get your vehicle inspected and registered in Saskatchewan? I am planning on selling my car (it is not winter ready!) and I’m debating buying a new one in BC, or waiting till I move and buying one in Saskatoon. Any advice ?
I'm not in the program (yet), but I moved to SK from BC with a car. My only advice is do not get it inspected at Canadian Tire. They claimed it needed a wheel alignment, despite it being inspected three months earlier in BC. They said, "Saskatchewan has rough roads," as a reason for the alignment, but it had only been in the province a day, so it wasn't very believable. Other than that, registering it in Saskatoon was fine.

I'm not in the program (yet), but I moved to SK from BC with a car. My only advice is do not get it inspected at Canadian Tire. They claimed it needed a wheel alignment, despite it being inspected three months earlier in BC. They said, "Saskatchewan has rough roads," as a reason for the alignment, but it had only been in the province a day, so it wasn't very believable. Other than that, registering it in Saskatoon was fine.

Thanks! I had a bad experience with Canadian tire when I moved to BC from Alberta years ago. Good to know it wasn’t just a BC thing

I personally would buy one here (in Saskatoon). We had a difficult time (and lots of $$) getting our truck inspected when we first moved here. We bought a car here a few months ago and it took maybe 5-10mins to get it registered at Galon and ready to drive.

I went first year without a car but brought mine out for the summer. My experience was pretty seamless, and I even didn't have to pay the PST they hit a lot of people with (not sure why not but I'm not asking lol).

If you bring a vehicle in from out of province to insure it in Saskatchewan and it isn't exempt you may have to pay a % of it's value to the government to get it insured. I didn't, and a friend didn't, but several other people did. So you will want to look into that since depending on your vehicle that could be a decent chunk of money.

If you want the name of the shop I used, shoot me a message and I will try to find it. They were great. I know a few people got told they had to do ridiculous things like add mud flaps to a sedan car (lol) so I'd probably try and be careful where you go.