This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you both so much! I’ve been practicing for the mmi and didnt know whether i should be worried about gauging how much time i have left! Glad to hear that they allot some time for you to get to the next station. Do they provide any follow up questions or do you sit in silence until time is up? I’ve been practising mmis with med kids and they dont get penalized for using prompts. Wonder if vet is similar. And lol i hope my interview goes well so one day, i too can complaing about the OSCEs

I believe this varies from year to year... in our year you were required to get through some additional prompts, but in years before me there were no prompts at all. They will clarify at the session before the interview :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they are increasing the amount of people they will be interviewing for the 2020 admission? or are they sticking with the 120 people for the interviews even with the additional seats?

I believe this varies from year to year... in our year you were required to get through some additional prompts, but in years before me there were no prompts at all. They will clarify at the session before the interview :)
Sounds good, thank you so much again! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck with UCVM interviews tomorrow everyone! See you at the morning group's tour if you're coming to that one :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just an FYI, WCVM is starting to send out interview offers! Just got one for BC :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just wondering how interviews went for everyone, and the focus of the questions this year!!
I guess we can't go into much depth with this topic but they were pretty decent this year. I think best way to prepare would be to read up on common rules, regulations and policies in vet med!

To be honest I thought they were coming out late March as it says on the website. Thought it was a mistake at first!

I got an interview invite as well! (Manitoba applicant)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of you with first round interviews!! :clap: Such an exciting time of year!

Does anyone from WCVM know how heavily they value animal experiences? I know non-academics are 40%, but wondering if anyone has gotten in with not alot of experience. I received a first round invite and am working on getting more shadowing hours in but its tought with exams approaching. I definitely plan on reading up current issues and general knowledge about the different vet specialties, but worried it wont compensate for lack of experience. Trying to gauge my chances because i still have to take physics this spring which is gonna set me back a few hundred dollars . Appreciate any guidance! :)

Does anyone from WCVM know how heavily they value animal experiences? I know non-academics are 40%, but wondering if anyone has gotten in with not alot of experience. I received a first round invite and am working on getting more shadowing hours in but its tought with exams approaching. I definitely plan on reading up current issues and general knowledge about the different vet specialties, but worried it wont compensate for lack of experience. Trying to gauge my chances because i still have to take physics this spring which is gonna set me back a few hundred dollars . Appreciate any guidance! :)
WCVM student here! Based on the fact that you already received a first-round interview, you're already in a great position to get accepted because you're currently top 20 (BC/AB/SK) or top 15 (MB) in your province. Your interview is going to be structured very strongly around the vet experience that you put on your application in addition to your non-vet-related activities like volunteering or sports. If you're able to show that you are confident, mentally-mature, and capable of handling a heavy course load then this will definitely help to prove that you have what it takes, despite not having amazing vet experience. It's important to be honest in your interview about the experience that you do/don't have, and just try to be confident in what you bring to the table. Explaining to them why you were unable to get previous vet experience might help too, but I would be careful not to make it look like vet school was just a back-up plan, or "spur of the moment" type decision. Overall, I'd say that people with little vet experience probably have a harder time getting in, but it's definitely not impossible (especially if your grades are stellar)

I got an interview offer last Thursday! (MB applicant)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm wondering if any of the current vet students could talk about how they made their decision on which school to attend. I know I've read some stories on threads from previous years.

I'm wondering if any of the current vet students could talk about how they made their decision on which school to attend. I know I've read some stories on threads from previous years.

I didn't want to take physics, so consequently only applied to UCVM :laugh: If you have any specific questions about UCVM feel free to ask, I'm just finishing up third year so I've seen basically all of what UCVM has to offer. A few things I like about UCVM in general:

1) Clinical skills in all three of our "lecture" years. It is so nice to have one guaranteed day a week to learn vet skills and handle animals, to remind yourself why sitting through all the lectures is worth it. The program in general is very hands-on and skills oriented, which I also enjoy. Related to that, all the simulators we have, and beyond that, opportunity to practice things on your own. It's super nice to be able to practice things on a sim when you have a spare few minutes, or use one of the "recycled" cadavers from a clinical skills lab to practice other skills that are coming up on exams, etc. The school is very good about making these resources available to us.

2) Faculty in general are awesome. They are very friendly and helpful, and are great resources for any and all questions you might have. We have amazing professors in every discipline, lots of cool research going on, etc.

3) The professional skills program, while I dread every interaction lab because my anxiety finds them very stressful, are probably the most useful thing the school has. We do three years of professional skills interactions, which guide you through everything from explaining disease in a public-friendly way, to integrating a physical exam in an appointment, to how to talk an owner through a euthanasia. I imagine this work will pay off big time going into fourth year interacting with real clients, and beyond.

4) "Synchronization" of courses (for the most part). So in first year, when you learn about kidneys in physiology, you're learning about them in anatomy, and probably doing a clinical presentation workup on them too, all at the same time. It really lets you integrate your knowledge, rather than having two separate mental "bubbles" for kidney physio vs anatomy, etc.

5) Fourth year is very representative of general practice rather than specialized practice, because we don't have a teaching hospital. You're out there working in general practices and seeing how they do things, how they manage monetary concerns, etc. You don't learn to rely on absolute gold standard medicine, because often it isn't available!

6) Small class size. We get lots of one-on-one or one-on-pair time during clinical skills especially, and the profs know everyone in the class by name. It's like a tight-knit family where everybody knows everybody, which I really love. And it's a very encouraging environment, everyone shares notes and flashcards, we make small study groups, everyone is very willing to help you if needed. Additionally because we have a small class size we get to do a lot of surgery... we do 7 live surgeries through the program (pig cystotomy, cat/dog neuter, cat/dog spay, bovine exploratory and equine castration).

Anyway there are more things I'm sure but that's all I can think of right now :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
Just found this so I thought I would join and post! I got offered first round AB interview for WCVM, and already had my UCVM interview on the MMI day in March. Exciting times everyone! :)

was so lovely to meet you all at the interviews!! Hope to see some of you in the new year!! All of us first years loved seeing you there and wish you the best!

anyone know if sask is still sending out interviews??

I suspect all of the first round interviews have gone out by now since they will need to arrange the interview schedule.

However, I could be wrong so you could always email and ask if you want to be sure.

I've been stressing about the upcoming interview (even though its still 6 weeks away), but I had a little moment at work that reminded me why its all worthwhile. One of the doctors I work with was performing a vaginoscopy, and let me assist by controlling the forceps to break/remove the hymenal remnants and fix the vaginal stenosis. It was pretty cool to be able to have a minor roll in the procedure rather than just watching/monitoring. Just a little reminder as to how fun and interesting vet med is, and how (even through the nerves) I'm e

Hi everyone, I just joined the thread. I been offered a first round interview to WCVM in the MB pool. This is my first time applying, it's exciting!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi ColbyJazzmus, I was very fortunate to receive offers from UCVM and WCVM last year. I really liked both schools and think I would have been happy at either, but I chose WCVM and I definitely don't regret it. I chose WCVM for the opportunities it presented. I'm very interested in feline only practice, and based on some research it seemed like WCVM would have more to offer someone with that career goal (just my opinion). The teaching hospital was another huge factor in swaying my choice. I also had quite a few friends who were accepted to WCVM, which gave me a larger support system that has been so beneficial.

Regardless, getting into any veterinary program is a fantastic achievement , and no matter which school you go to you will have a DVM with endless career possibilities.
If you have any other questions for me or you want to discuss this more thoroughly let me know.

Hey folks. I've been thinking too much and just wondering if the interviewers are looking for current events specifically within Saskatchewan. Obviously they mostly want to hear about Canadian current events but is it wise to hit them with a very global issue or something that's closer to home? I guess common sense is to talk about a topic with a big impact such as ASF instead of focusing on regions :thinking: There's just so many current events and it's easy to forget them all if you don't focus on a few big ones lol especially with the nerves!

Hey folks. I've been thinking too much and just wondering if the interviewers are looking for current events specifically within Saskatchewan. Obviously they mostly want to hear about Canadian current events but is it wise to hit them with a very global issue or something that's closer to home? I guess common sense is to talk about a topic with a big impact such as ASF instead of focusing on regions :thinking: There's just so many current events and it's easy to forget them all if you don't focus on a few big ones lol especially with the nerves!

@meeses Careful when making these assumptions, because this is often not the case. During my interview I got asked about several international events, a few national events, and only like one event that was closer to home. Usually they asked me about specific events, but I also got to talk about a few that were of my own interest. Other people may have had different experiences in their interviews.

I would suggest having a broad understanding of major events that are going on in the world right now, but also be aware of what is happening more locally. Use whatever news outlet sources you prefer to help you keep up to date with such events (I liked having news apps on my phone).

In my interview I got asked to tell the interviewers about one international news item and one national one (my choice of which items I wanted to discuss). Unlike Drider I wasn't asked about anything specific; I think it just depends what interviewers you get.

I agree with what was said above in regards to have a general understanding of what is going on in the world and Canada.

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question about reference letters for UCVM. In the application manual it mentions that one of the three reference letters must be from an instructor at a post secondary institution. I was just wondering if the reference form must therefore be filled out by a prof or is a TA okay too?

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question about reference letters for UCVM. In the application manual it mentions that one of the three reference letters must be from an instructor at a post secondary institution. I was just wondering if the reference form must therefore be filled out by a prof or is a TA okay too?

They do specify when asking you to submit references if you're interviewed that it has to be a professor, not a lab TA. Hope that helps!

Hi everyone, I see some useful replies on here, but as my interview approaches I worry more and more. Does anyone have last minute tips for what to do or not to do for those having interviews with the WCVM next week? Thank you in advance!

@sfv21 Give them a super quick rewording of the questions they ask you so they know where your answer is coming from, and answer the questions as directly as possible. It's ok to pause between your answers and take a moment to think (or catch your breath if you're a nervous wreck like me), just not too long :) Be absolutely honest about your answers (admit if you don't know and tell them what you do know about the topic). And don't forget to smile/laugh when appropriate! Read up on CVMA's position statements too if you're unclear about certain topics :)

@sfv21 Give them a super quick rewording of the questions they ask you so they know where your answer is coming from, and answer the questions as directly as possible. It's ok to pause between your answers and take a moment to think (or catch your breath if you're a nervous wreck like me), just not too long :) Be absolutely honest about your answers (admit if you don't know and tell them what you do know about the topic). And don't forget to smile/laugh when appropriate! Read up on CVMA's position statements too if you're unclear about certain topics :)

@sfv21 I second this advice.

Also, make sure that you wear something comfortable to your interview.

@DRider13 do you have any tips on what to wear to the interview? Is it better to wear a blouse and pants vs a dress?
I’ll just jump in and say wear whatever you feel most comfortable in; as long as you look professional it doesn’t matter. If you are wearing a dress, I would make sure it is a business appropriate sheath type dress. So nothing sundressy. I personally wore a skirtsuit, and most of the people I saw interviewing were wearing pantsuits.

Hi everyone, I see some useful replies on here, but as my interview approaches I worry more and more. Does anyone have last minute tips for what to do or not to do for those having interviews with the WCVM next week? Thank you in advance!
You’ve already gotten some suggestions, but I’ll throw in a few more.

Make sure you know your global events/what’s going on in Canada and beyond right now.

If you don’t know the answer to something, that’s fine. Tell them you aren’t sure, and then make an educated guess (letting them know it is just a guess). Whatever you do do not lie or pretend to know what you don’t; you will get your bluff called. Not knowing won’t kill your interview.

Know your application inside out, and be able to expand on and explain anything you listed.

Make sure you understand terms like Onehealth, animal rights, animal welfare, etc.

Be friendly and behave like a human being :)

I’m sure you guys will be fine! I actually really enjoyed doing my interview after the initial nerves wore off.

I’m sure you guys will be fine! I actually really enjoyed doing my interview after the initial nerves wore off.

The panelists who interviewed me were really good at making me feel comfortable when I went in for my interview! You kind of have a few minutes to settle in while they introduce themselves and explain how the interview works, so remember to breathe and let yourself settle in :)

Hey @DRider13 did they give you a few seconds to think about the question before answering it? I remember I was so nervous at the beginning of mine that I forgot all their instructions and now I can't remember if they mentioned that you can take a certain about of time to plan your answer before you start answering like we get in MMIs. All I remember them saying is they'll interrupt me if they want to learn more about whatever I mention in my answer and to not mind the interruptions lol

Hey @DRider13 did they give you a few seconds to think about the question before answering it? I remember I was so nervous at the beginning of mine that I forgot all their instructions and now I can't remember if they mentioned that you can take a certain about of time to plan your answer before you start answering like we get in MMIs. All I remember them saying is they'll interrupt me if they want to learn more about whatever I mention in my answer and to not mind the interruptions lol

There was a few questions where I paused for a few seconds to think and they didn't seem to mind. I also asked for clarification for one or two questions to ensure I was actually answering what they were trying to ask haha. Overall, my interview was pretty conversational rather than an interrogation.

There was a few questions where I paused for a few seconds to think and they didn't seem to mind. I also asked for clarification for one or two questions to ensure I was actually answering what they were trying to ask haha. Overall, my interview was pretty conversational rather than an interrogation.
Right so pausing is ok but I meant like a formal time period given to you to think before you start answering. But I guess they don't. Lol I just couldn't comprehend any of what they were saying before the interview actually started. Talk about tunnel vision/hearing!

Right so pausing is ok but I meant like a formal time period given to you to think before you start answering. But I guess they don't. Lol I just couldn't comprehend any of what they were saying before the interview actually started. Talk about tunnel vision/hearing!

No, in that case you don't really have a formal period of time think about your answer, but you shouldn't need it for the type of questions they ask.

For those who attended an interview for either UCVM or WCVM, I'm curious about your personal thoughts after you took it.

What were your highs and lows during the interview? Immediately after, did you want to improve a certain answer that you provided? Was there a topic you felt you needed to learn more about? Any terms you have never heard of?

Thanks!

For those who attended an interview for either UCVM or WCVM, I'm curious about your personal thoughts after you took it.

What were your highs and lows during the interview? Immediately after, did you want to improve a certain answer that you provided? Was there a topic you felt you needed to learn more about? Any terms you have never heard of?

Thanks!

Lows and highs.., in the MMIs I found some questions were very strange! Topics that related vet med to events you might have never thought about as being related to this field...but I don't mean to alarm anyone. They're just very creative in integrating different events into their questions. The thing is that if you know the basics of vet med and use some common sense, you'd be able to answer those questions with something that would satisfy the interviewers despite the topic they've chosen. I also always trip up on the questions related to the university's current events at the UCVM interviews because everything flies out of my head of course (nerves!). So knowing what's going on at UCVM currently REALLY helps because it's fair game. Another low for me would have to be essays because even though I think I did ok, you never know because the essay is like the elephant in the room they don't even cover at the practice MMIs.

As for highs....During the MMIs, highs were pretty much any questions where I had a pretty solid grasp on the answer. During panels, I really liked talking about my experiences with animals because that's where the passion is I guess.

If you mean right after the interview as 'immediately after' then yes, I had many regrets thinking I should've said this instead of that. Or I remembered something really pivotal I should've mentioned but didn't (best to stop thinking about it haha). But the good part about the MMIs is that if you think of something immediately after you answered the question, you can say it! I haven't had enough time to develop regrets for the panel ints yet except that I didn't get enough time to talk more or ask them more questions in the end.

Personally would've done me some good to know more about swine farms and disease prevention because of current event ASF.

Overall I found both MMIs and panels to be straightforward this year. Last year's were tricky though.

Hope that answers some of your questions! :D Have you been interviewed before? What did you think of em?

Lows and highs.., in the MMIs I found some questions were very strange! Topics that related vet med to events you might have never thought about as being related to this field...but I don't mean to alarm anyone. They're just very creative in integrating different events into their questions. The thing is that if you know the basics of vet med and use some common sense, you'd be able to answer those questions with something that would satisfy the interviewers despite the topic they've chosen. I also always trip up on the questions related to the university's current events at the UCVM interviews because everything flies out of my head of course (nerves!). So knowing what's going on at UCVM currently REALLY helps because it's fair game. Another low for me would have to be essays because even though I think I did ok, you never know because the essay is like the elephant in the room they don't even cover at the practice MMIs.

As for highs....During the MMIs, highs were pretty much any questions where I had a pretty solid grasp on the answer. During panels, I really liked talking about my experiences with animals because that's where the passion is I guess.

If you mean right after the interview as 'immediately after' then yes, I had many regrets thinking I should've said this instead of that. Or I remembered something really pivotal I should've mentioned but didn't (best to stop thinking about it haha). But the good part about the MMIs is that if you think of something immediately after you answered the question, you can say it! I haven't had enough time to develop regrets for the panel ints yet except that I didn't get enough time to talk more or ask them more questions in the end.

Personally would've done me some good to know more about swine farms and disease prevention because of current event ASF.

Overall I found both MMIs and panels to be straightforward this year. Last year's were tricky though.

Hope that answers some of your questions! :D Have you been interviewed before? What did you think of em?

Thanks so much!

I wanted to get a sense of how I might feel during and after the interview... my thoughts tend to freeze up if I'm very nervous. I think that reading/hearing about others' experiences, their moments of pride or regret and their thoughts immediately after the interview will help me mentally prepare myself. This way, I can imagine myself in your shoes. If anyone else would like to share their thoughts after being interviewed, I would greatly appreciate it! It means a lot to me (and I hope it helps others too!)

Yes, I have been interviewed before and for the most part, I feel that I've done pretty well! BUT this could be the most important interview of my life... totally different from anything I've ever been interviewed for. Hopefully all goes well!

Thanks again :)