Western 2013 - Who's Applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have a question for all of you...

If you got into Western and one other school do you think you'd pick Western? I know ratings don't really mean anything, but I feel like a lot of people pick Western as a "safety." I was personally very impressed with the curriculum and the professors...it seemed like a very effective program. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of large animal facilities.

What do you all think?

I got into several schools and chose Western. Trust me the large animal experience is NOT lacking. Not everyone chooses Western as the "safety".
 
I totally agree that it is not just a safety school...I hope I didn't offend you at all! I've just heard other classmates of mine say that because Western is more lenient with the GPA/GRE standards. However, I know that they weigh experience/recommendations and the interview more heavily and often times those aspects show more than grades ever could. I just wish they had a large animal hospital on site so that you could wander through or volunteer if you had any time.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you pick Western over the other schools?
 
So I have a question for all of you...

If you got into Western and one other school do you think you'd pick Western? I know ratings don't really mean anything, but I feel like a lot of people pick Western as a "safety." I was personally very impressed with the curriculum and the professors...it seemed like a very effective program. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of large animal facilities.

What do you all think?


I can tell you from experience...(DVM 2012).... I got acceptted to another school as well as Western and of course I cam here to Western. Many of my class mates got into other schools as well. My study partener got into to five different schools not including western.... would I say that Western is a fall back school...absolutely not. Many people make that wrong assumption. The application process is just as difficult if not harder for Western because they make it about the student and not about the grades and experiences that you have had.

The curiculum itself is much more difficult than any other school and a lot of students don't make it through not because they were poor candidates just because of the curiculum itself. We have lost about 8 students from our first semester....which is typical of any vet school give or take a few.

At Western you are responsile for your learning and are pretty much learning Veterinary Medicine on your own which makes it much more difficult than being hand fed the information.

As far as large animal facilities... I wouldn't worry too much about that. I am interested in large animals and I feel that we get plenty of experience. We have gone in our first semester to Cal Poly twice (once to work with sheep, and the second time was to work with the beef cattle), There is a dairy farm nearby that we attend, Arabian horse farm, min horse farm, and the San Diemas Equestrian Center. So as you can see that is more than most vet students get in hands on experience their first year. This doesn't include the large animal models that we have used to learn clinical skills on, and of course the small animal rotations.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The curiculum itself is much more difficult than any other school

Um, sorry, I don't buy that. I don't believe the curriculum is harder at any one vet school compared to the others. Maybe PBL has some added trickiness to it (depending upon each individual's learning style, I'm sure), but that is not the same thing as the curriculum being harder.
 
Um, sorry, I don't buy that. I don't believe the curriculum is harder at any one vet school compared to the others. Maybe PBL has some added trickiness to it (depending upon each individual's learning style, I'm sure), but that is not the same thing as the curriculum being harder.

If you have never been in a total PBL session then you wouldn't understand... the types of things anatomy, physiology etc... isn't harder but the way you have to learn it and without any help or guidance is what makes the curiculum more difficult. You can believe it or not that is up to you. My point was that the PBL process is harder because didactic learning (traditional learning) you get notes, book lists, told what to emphasize, etc....PBL no book list, no notes, and they don't even tell you what your learning issues should be. Therefore not having that information makes it more difficult because you never know how indepth you are to go or what resource to use..you are doing it on your own.

so just to clear everything up...PBL is what makes it more difficult...not the actual content of what is being learned. I hope their is no hard feelings, 🙂 but this is the way I feel. When I was going through the application process I spent a week shadowing vet students at another university and it seemed much easier in the respect that they had all the info right in front of them. It was a matter of reading, understanding, and learning the info.
 
In regards to all this, with Western being the newest vet school in the states I think they do the best job at selling themselves to the students. I can't speak too much to this, about other schools, but at Illinois the day is based around the interview session and you get talked at about financial aid, housing, and laptop. Western's is more welcoming, informal, but you're really expected to be there for more than just the interview.

Anyone else get the feeling they try to sell you harder?

I also don't mean that in an offensive way, like I felt pumped up about it afterwords.
 
IMHO, I don't think it's about curriculum being harder, it's about whether the learning style fits yours or not. I applied to Western as sort of a safety school and sort of a "give it a try" (since it's new and I have heard good and bad things). After interviewing there and sitting in a PBL session, I don't think it fits me.

I didn't think they were particularly welcoming, especially considering on my interview day there were only 3 people -- including me. And the whole day was pretty disorganized.

That's just my two cents but Western is not on the top of my list of schools.
 
Western does do a hard sell to students... but they do mean what they say. They push it harder than you would find about most schools because they really want students that fit their program well. Because as someone already mentioned the program is not for everyone...and you can really tell going through the PBL process of the students who do not really want to be there.... I have been placed in groups with students with this attitude and it really holds back the group....

as far as the interviews being disorganized you are completely right. They were disorganized...much more so than when I interviewed. Students get to pick the day that they interview and since they got the letters out late most students chose the second week. There were other groups that only had a few people in them and the following week there were about 20 students and they had to throw on two extra days.

I will give your feedback to the facilitators.... they are very open to suggestions and constructive information. They are always willing to help in any way they can.
 
If you have never been in a total PBL session then you wouldn't understand...

So here is one of my pet peeves. If you have never been to a traditional vet school you can not make the assumption that the PBL school is harder. I think we all can agree that vet school is NOT like undergrad so you might not understand the traditional program either.

I prefer to say neither is more difficult, just different styles of learning.
 
I totally agree that it is not just a safety school...I hope I didn't offend you at all! I've just heard other classmates of mine say that because Western is more lenient with the GPA/GRE standards. However, I know that they weigh experience/recommendations and the interview more heavily and often times those aspects show more than grades ever could. I just wish they had a large animal hospital on site so that you could wander through or volunteer if you had any time.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you pick Western over the other schools?

No offense taken, don't worry about that!

I wanted to try something different.
I was attracted to the amount of clinical experience the curriculum offers.
When do you ever get the chance to be part of the first graduating class in a veterinary school?
and there's this:

"You don't want to go to Western and be the guinea pigs, then you will be under the microscope"...

I can not count how many times I heard that, but I figured that once I became a vet, I would be responsible for my patients' lives.....I don't mind being "under the microscope"

Lastly, if you want me to do something, tell me I can't. Many people told me I can't go to Western. Guess I am stubborn😛
 
Last edited:
Anyone know Karen's email address? I can't find it on the contact page...only the admissions counselor's email addresses are displayed. I wrote to my admissions counselor January 16th and received no reply. She usually replies right away. I also called and left a message a few days after sending the email. So I figured I'd forward that email to Karen since many of you have been successful communicating with her. I was just wondering what my application status is...still no word of interview/rejection..I'm only worried because last year this happened with Iowa, and when I called in April they said I should have received a rejection email...so yeah, don't want this to happen again 😉
 
So here is one of my pet peeves. If you have never been to a traditional vet school you can not make the assumption that the PBL school is harder. I think we all can agree that vet school is NOT like undergrad so you might not understand the traditional program either.

I prefer to say neither is more difficult, just different styles of learning.

Hey Chris,
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it may be a pet peev of yours but it is mine when every one says Western is a joke and it is a back up school or a safety school. I have been on a vet school campus to follow a student around for about a week to week and a half... in that time the students recieved a package of notes, power point presentations, and the professor saying this is what you need to focus on for the exam...as you know this does not happen at Western. It is also much nicer to have exams spaced out a bit instead of having them all during one week. I have also been enrolled and attended for a semester a graduate program (phd) for biochemistry, and even in that program it was an easier delievery of the information. I never said the content was harder just the process. Don't get me wrong I love Western and wouldn't have it any other way...

I was trying to make a point that Western isn't just a joke and they do not accept under the standard applicants. I don't want people to get the wrong idea about Western and have students coming here thinking it is going to be easy because it is those students who I have found really hold back the group and PBL process as a whole.
 
Are you seriously making this comparison? You are really making Western students look...sort of Penn-we-ish here, I have to say... :laugh:

😉

You realize that I was a Western student also right? Don't label Western students based on one person thanks😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You realize that I was a Western student also right? Don't label Western students based on one person thanks😉

Listen here I shadowed someone for a couple of days of their residency and the way they presented the information was sooooooooooooo easy so obviously my undergrad was even harder than that you know. 😎

😍 (I know, just found it amusing that this would even be argued)
 
I was trying to make a point that Western isn't just a joke and they do not accept under the standard applicants. I don't want people to get the wrong idea about Western and have students coming here thinking it is going to be easy because it is those students who I have found really hold back the group and PBL process as a whole.

FWIW, I don't think Western is a joke. In fact, I think I'd do terribly in that kind of a learning environment and I have incredible admiration for those who do well in it.

Nevertheless, it did sound like you were initially saying that the curriculum (not just the delivery method) was harder than that at other schools. I see that you've clarified your point now, so we won't quibble. 🙂

Also, I think it's important to not overstate your point. Hyperbole (that Western is much harder than any other vet school), especially when unsubstantiated (as Chris pointed out so rightly, no one can truly know not having been through both kinds of vet school) actually just serves to undermine your point (that Western is every bit as good as every other school) in my opinion.

In case my last sentence was too jumbled to follow (or for those of us too used to being spoon fed info😉), take home point: vet school is hard, every vet school is great, let's just all get along! 😀 And no, this won't be on the final exam. 😉

(Sorry, my cardio final exam has made me a tad loopy...)
 
I was trying to make a point that Western isn't just a joke and they do not accept under the standard applicants. I don't want people to get the wrong idea about Western and have students coming here thinking it is going to be easy because it is those students who I have found really hold back the group and PBL process as a whole.

I get that (and understand the frustration) but, somehow I don't think that putting down other schools curriculum is going to help your cause.
 
I get that (and understand the frustration) but, somehow I don't think that putting down other schools curriculum is going to help your cause.


Chris, I know you were a student at Western but you were also in the charter class and a lot has changed from the first class til now. It is still changing wich is good, they are making it better with every year.

I didn't intend to put any other schools down. All vet schools are great, I never said they weren't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions as I already have said, and noone's opinion should be put down because you don't agree or a bunch of people don't agree. I am the type of person that will defend my response.....(thats why I do so well in the PBL program) Once again I am sorry if I didn't portray what I initially intended to do so in the proper way... I like a good debate :laugh:

...so any other debates...this one is getting old 😉
 
I for one am hoping that they let some go early... a girl can dream but I know they won't. I just hope it comes before I leave for a vacation that Friday morning eek!:xf:
 
I for one am hoping that they let some go early... a girl can dream but I know they won't. I just hope it comes before I leave for a vacation that Friday morning eek!:xf:

They came out exactly when they said they would last year--I don't remember there being any exceptions (at least, in the SDN). I think they're mailing them on the same date this year (it was right around 3/15 last year).
Does anyone else fantasize opening an acceptance letter? I guess that once you've been through a cycle of rejections, it becomes more of a fantasy (like walking the red carpet), rather than a novice's naively-borne hope. And to back up my rain cloud attitude (😉): I was at my second Western Interview Day with two other non-trads who themselves were on Western Interview round 3.
And I can't IMAGINE actually getting to choose between schools. Wow.
 
They came out exactly when they said they would last year--I don't remember there being any exceptions (at least, in the SDN). I think they're mailing them on the same date this year (it was right around 3/15 last year).
Does anyone else fantasize opening an acceptance letter? I guess that once you've been through a cycle of rejections, it becomes more of a fantasy (like walking the red carpet), rather than a novice's naively-borne hope. And to back up my rain cloud attitude (😉): I was at my second Western Interview Day with two other non-trads who themselves were on Western Interview round 3.
And I can't IMAGINE actually getting to choose between schools. Wow.
No need to worry Catnapper, I am like who will I call after I tell my mom....Thats if I get accepted of course..lol
 
Hey...I have a question for the current and past Western vet students. I was hoping you could give me some clarification on the program. I know it is really hard to try and describe PBL to outsiders...but I do know that there are a couple "lectures" in the program too. With Western, the curriculum has been molded in a way that really emphasizes and encourages individual study and self learning (at least that is the impression I got after interview day).....BUT, is there any guidance and direction? Do the professors let you understand what is expected of you; what they would like you to learn? Or do the professors just throw you out there with a PBL case and expect you to just teach yourself??? How do you know what to learn and study for exams? It just seems like it would be overwhelming to not have guidance or know what it is you should be learning. I would really appreciate it if any of you could try and give me more insight.... 🙂
 
Hey...I have a question for the current and past Western vet students. I was hoping you could give me some clarification on the program. I know it is really hard to try and describe PBL to outsiders...but I do know that there are a couple "lectures" in the program too. With Western, the curriculum has been molded in a way that really emphasizes and encourages individual study and self learning (at least that is the impression I got after interview day).....BUT, is there any guidance and direction? Do the professors let you understand what is expected of you; what they would like you to learn? Or do the professors just throw you out there with a PBL case and expect you to just teach yourself??? How do you know what to learn and study for exams? It just seems like it would be overwhelming to not have guidance or know what it is you should be learning. I would really appreciate it if any of you could try and give me more insight.... 🙂

I will let any current students sum up how it is now but when I was there:
1. There were NO lectures. None.
2. During the PBL session, if your group was way out left field, the facilitator would steer you back in the right direction.
3. They would NOT ever tell you what you were to study. You never knew what to expect on exams. They did have quizzes on blackboard once a week which kind of let you know if you were on the right track, but you can not ask "is this going to be on the test"....you will just get a blank stare, and a polished poker face to that.
4. You never really "know" what to learn and how to study, it is trial and error, but you get better and better on it as you go.

For me it helped HUGELY when I sat down for boards. Since I never was told what I would be tested on and was used to 4 hour versions of similar testing, NAVLE was like a 6 hour version of a written midterm for me. I was not nervous at all.

As a clinical student, and now as a practitioner, it made me very independant (maybe sometimes a little too independant) as I was not used to ever getting answers to questions, but rather more questions in response to my questions. So now when confronted with something new, I am quick to know where to look for answers because I am used to doing that on my own. There are times that I do not think about asking others for help here when it would likely be easier and make things quicker, not because I am cocky, but because I just don't think to ask. This I feel is something I need to fix. So there are good and bad.
 
I will let any current students sum up how it is now but when I was there:
1. There were NO lectures. None.
2. During the PBL session, if your group was way out left field, the facilitator would steer you back in the right direction.
3. They would NOT ever tell you what you were to study. You never knew what to expect on exams. They did have quizzes on blackboard once a week which kind of let you know if you were on the right track, but you can not ask "is this going to be on the test"....you will just get a blank stare, and a polished poker face to that.
4. You never really "know" what to learn and how to study, it is trial and error, but you get better and better on it as you go.

For me it helped HUGELY when I sat down for boards. Since I never was told what I would be tested on and was used to 4 hour versions of similar testing, NAVLE was like a 6 hour version of a written midterm for me. I was not nervous at all.


I can't tell you about the NAVLE or after becasue I haven't made it that far. We now have two lectures a week. One is for Veterinary Issues wich covers nothing medical...just ethics, laws, morals, and communication. The other lecture is MCB...and it is not really a lecture. It is where they assign you a paper about the case....and you discuss what was in the paper (important points). You are able to ask questions on things you don't understand within the paper or how it relates to the case. As far as everything else chris said...is still the same...they never tell you how deep to go into a subject...or what to focus on...or even what book to look in for the information...it is all up to you!

if you are really unsure about the program they do have work shops that you can attend. They actually work through a case as if you were a student. You really don't get the actual picture at the interview because they shorten the mock PBL to like 20 min.....

Hope this helps..if you had any other direct questions or even general ones please feel free to ask.
 
Hey...I have a question for the current and past Western vet students. I was hoping you could give me some clarification on the program. I know it is really hard to try and describe PBL to outsiders...but I do know that there are a couple "lectures" in the program too. With Western, the curriculum has been molded in a way that really emphasizes and encourages individual study and self learning (at least that is the impression I got after interview day).....BUT, is there any guidance and direction? Do the professors let you understand what is expected of you; what they would like you to learn? Or do the professors just throw you out there with a PBL case and expect you to just teach yourself??? How do you know what to learn and study for exams? It just seems like it would be overwhelming to not have guidance or know what it is you should be learning. I would really appreciate it if any of you could try and give me more insight.... 🙂



Oh....I forgot to mention......it is VERY VERY overwhelming and stressful.... there have been several students in both first and second year that have had mental break downs...(where they just sit and cry for an hour or two)...then they pick themselves back up and start again. It is by no means and easy program and it is very hard to explain..but if you are willing to put the time in and stay motivated you can do it. You will hear about a lot of students that find that the program is not for them and they quit or they just don't pass the exams...but you can't worry about them or anyone else... GPA does not matter once you are here, and you need to work as a team with your classmates.
 
One of the great things about interviewing at Western with only two other people on that day was that each of was able to sit in an actual PBL session with students and faculty. I think it was really interesting... basically all the professor did was listen and say things like, "Summarize the case again, [insert name],", "What do you think the key learning issues are, [insert name]?" and pass out newly discovered information on the case. It seemed like a step by step process to me... each session of PBL unveiled more of the case through student research/discussion and new factoids.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong! I only sat in the session for half an hour so I did not see everything there is to PBL.

On a side note, I still feel that PBL is not for me... I have researched topics with little help or direction and don't feel like educating myself on all of veterinary medicine is going to work for me!
 
One of the great things about interviewing at Western with only two other people on that day was that each of was able to sit in an actual PBL session with students and faculty. I think it was really interesting... basically all the professor did was listen and say things like, "Summarize the case again, [insert name],", "What do you think the key learning issues are, [insert name]?" and pass out newly discovered information on the case. It seemed like a step by step process to me... each session of PBL unveiled more of the case through student research/discussion and new factoids.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong! I only sat in the session for half an hour so I did not see everything there is to PBL.

On a side note, I still feel that PBL is not for me... I have researched topics with little help or direction and don't feel like educating myself on all of veterinary medicine is going to work for me!


You are right...with each PBL session you get additional information regarding the case...that will direct you to some of your issues however... it does not tell you your learning it guides you to them but NOT all of them. The diagnosis is not what you care about it is the learning issues. That is what you have to keep remembering during the sessions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No need to worry Catnapper, I am like who will I call after I tell my mom....Thats if I get accepted of course..lol

Sheeprl, I would think that sheep herding puts you in the running (as opposed to being another generic CCL--crazy cat lady)! 😉
 
Sheeprl, I would think that sheep herding puts you in the running (as opposed to being another generic CCL--crazy cat lady)! 😉

I hope so! But no need to worry as my cats would attest I too am a CCL:laugh:. Besides I have seen a huge increase in feline only vet offices, the BMW's of vet practices, maybe?
 
ah, the wait. :scared: (this stinks, but i guess i know they're putting a lot of effort into selection a great class)

does any current/past students know how the interview selection process goes? i believe i read in a previous post that you are either yes or no from your interviewers. then, you enter a pool of 'yes' interviewees and the class is hand-picked by the dean. is this still true?

also, are the interviewers basing their selection soley on the interview itself, or do they actually get to look at your vmcas/supplemental application after the interview?

and....what does the dean truely base his final decisions off of? diversity/experience/grades more important?
 
What I was told at the interview and read was that you have to get two yes aka a go ahead from the interviewers then the dean picks. I think they go for the whole melting pot/stew thing but of course they are vague about what that entails.
 
When Karen got up to talk to us she mentioned how random the selection of the class is and that they have no stats on it. She said there hasn't been any sort of trend whatsoever, which is probably why they don't have much under past class data like most schools do (avg gpa, etc.)
 
Well...they have posted stats, and have C/O 2012 stats up now:

http://prospective.westernu.edu/veterinary/competitive

Number of Applications Received 754
Number of Interviews Granted 310
Number of Enrolled Students 104
Average Overall GPA 3.25
Average Prerequisite GPA 3.37
Average GRE - Verbal 493
Average GRE - Quantitative 631
Average GRE - Analytical Writing 4.22
 
Last edited:
Once you pass the application....ie. the grades and the stats...they don't get looked at again. You have already gotten a yes in that area. The interview is to judge personality and get to know you and make sure you can handle the program. The dean looks at the criteria based on life experience, vet experience, interest, location, undergrad experience (ie degree). He chooses a wide variety of students. The reason is...since we teach each other our own experience and in this way we help each other learn vet med. He is the only one that looks at the applicants after the interview. I can't be more clear on what other things he takes into consideration....because he has told me before he looks at different things each year and it is always a hard choice to make because everyone who passes the interview has achieved all the necessary requirements and deserves to be here...there just aren't enough seats.

And so everyone knows now....the alternate list is not ranked. If an applicant drops or does not accept the admittance he will choose an applicant with similiar of the above criteria to take the place of that appllicant. They really focous on diversity of the class as a whole at this point. So in a way it is completely random.

Hope this clears it up at least a little!
 
Once you pass the application....ie. the grades and the stats...they don't get looked at again. You have already gotten a yes in that area. The interview is to judge personality and get to know you and make sure you can handle the program. The dean looks at the criteria based on life experience, vet experience, interest, location, undergrad experience (ie degree). He chooses a wide variety of students. The reason is...since we teach each other our own experience and in this way we help each other learn vet med. He is the only one that looks at the applicants after the interview. I can't be more clear on what other things he takes into consideration....because he has told me before he looks at different things each year and it is always a hard choice to make because everyone who passes the interview has achieved all the necessary requirements and deserves to be here...there just aren't enough seats.

And so everyone knows now....the alternate list is not ranked. If an applicant drops or does not accept the admittance he will choose an applicant with similiar of the above criteria to take the place of that appllicant. They really focous on diversity of the class as a whole at this point. So in a way it is completely random.

Hope this clears it up at least a little!

thanks for the info mdnghtndc!! so they reallly don't look at your grades after the interview process? that's amazing! that is good news, for me anyway 🙂 i think my interview went well, but from all this waiting, i'm just replaying the interview in my head to see if something went wrong.... there was a question that i skipped and went back to, but i finally answered and i think it was ok.

the interviewers gave me their business cards afterwards, did they do that for everyone?

this process explains why it takes so long after interviews. i hope the dean makes a good decision this year!!! :xf: good luck everyone!
 
I feel the same way about my interview, I lay in bed at night rethinking it and it drives me crazy. I try not to focus on that. My interviewer that worked at the school gave me her card too, but I don't know if they all did that.
 
The business card thing depends on the person. They don't all do that, or at least last year during interviews they didn't. Don't think about the interview...because honestly there is nothing you can do now but worry about it. It doesn't matter about the content but how you reacted to the situation of the interview and how well you followed through with your thoughts. It is almost impossible to tell how the interview went. It is just how behavioral interviews are.

I can remember that I thought I did horrible in mine, my friend's phone went off during hers and a now second year talked about basting a turkey during his interview. So you can see there is not way of nowing..... best advice I can give...is do well during this semester with whatever you are doing to continue to improve your grades, stats etc.... as well as gain all the experience you can.....just incase things don't turn out ok. That way you are already ahead of the game for applications next year. That is what I focused on doing and it helped pass the time until I got my acceptance.

I really wish all of you best of luck!!:luck:
 
Thanks for all the advice mdnght!🙂

Although I love how much time Western puts into picking their applicants (supplemental, interview, dean's choice etc), I really don't like that your "moving forward" hinges on two yes votes from one 25 minute conversation. The step by step process of looking at only the application, then only the interview seems sort of hit or miss. Once you get to the dean, it's much more fair, but I just don't like that you have to pass an interview checkpoint. Say you had a bad day at your interview or felt that you answered some questions badly or just not to the best of your ability...from that point on your application can no longer save you. I almost wish they did balance your interview with your application because then an interview that was just "okay" would be redeemed by a good application, or vice versa.

Anyone else feel this way or do most of you like the way they move through admissions?
 
Thanks for all the advice mdnght!🙂

Although I love how much time Western puts into picking their applicants (supplemental, interview, dean's choice etc), I really don't like that your "moving forward" hinges on two yes votes from one 25 minute conversation. The step by step process of looking at only the application, then only the interview seems sort of hit or miss. Once you get to the dean, it's much more fair, but I just don't like that you have to pass an interview checkpoint. Say you had a bad day at your interview or felt that you answered some questions badly or just not to the best of your ability...from that point on your application can no longer save you. I almost wish they did balance your interview with your application because then an interview that was just "okay" would be redeemed by a good application, or vice versa.

Anyone else feel this way or do most of you like the way they move through admissions?

I agree with you in FULL. I tend to get quite nervous when put in situations like interviews and such (esp public speaking:scared:) but does that allow 2 people that I have been speaking to for 30 minutes determine whether or not i am qualified enough for veterinary school?

I know grades arent everything but I believe the interview shouldnt be the deciding factor either. I wish they could just take everything into consideration when deciding who's app gets to the deans desk and who's doesn't. Oh well, we cant have everything we want in life...😳

Best of Luck to All Western Interviewees on 3/16 :luck::xf:😍
 
I was also quite nervous during my interview, but I think the interviewers all expect that. I don't think they were looking at public speaking or communication skills per say, but rather your life experiences- areas of your life that you have a chance to share that aren't represented on paper, what makes you unique or different from other applicants.

I think I was more nervous around that mysterious asian guy haha!
JKim- where you one of the asian females in his group?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I was more nervous around that mysterious asian guy haha!
JKim- where you one of the asian females in his group?

lol.. here we go again!🙄🙄
I was in group 4.. I think he was in my friends group in group 3 though... My group was the group with all the asian females and for some odd reason we were all wearing black striped shirts... great minds think alike perhaps? haha :laugh:

I dono.. I dont think any of my interviews went very well (western/WSU) and I am feelin kind of down since I am waiting on my rejection from davis... I am trying hard to think positively but well see how I hold up...😳
 
I agree with you in FULL. I tend to get quite nervous when put in situations like interviews and such (esp public speaking:scared:) but does that allow 2 people that I have been speaking to for 30 minutes determine whether or not i am qualified enough for veterinary school?

I know grades arent everything but I believe the interview shouldnt be the deciding factor either. I wish they could just take everything into consideration when deciding who's app gets to the deans desk and who's doesn't. Oh well, we cant have everything we want in life...😳

Best of Luck to All Western Interviewees on 3/16 :luck::xf:😍

i think it would be nice if the interviewers got to see our application, at least the supplemental one we did for western. i think that there are pros/cons. pros for me would definitely be all the experiences i had that i wasn't able to talk about/relate to the behavioral q's they asked. cons would be past grades! i do feel though, it may be a bit unfair just to base it off of the interview itself and not your entire application to move through the process.

blah! i totally want to meet this guy!!!!!

how diverse is the class as far as males:females, different ethnicity, interests, etc.? i feel western is awesome for promoting diversity -- seems like it more than other cvms
 
"lol.. here we go again!🙄🙄
I was in group 4.. I think he was in my friends group in group 3 though... My group was the group with all the asian females and for some odd reason we were all wearing black striped shirts... great minds think alike perhaps? haha :laugh:"

From what I saw, I thought all the asian females were in HIS group, or did they somehow switch groups with other applicants because I'm sure alot of us would!!???

"how diverse is the class as far as males:females, different ethnicity, interests, etc.? i feel western is awesome for promoting diversity -- seems like it more than other cvms"

After touring the campus and seeing one of their classes, it appeared that the student body is very diverse. There was a mix of male/females (about 1:4 if I recall) and people of different ethnicity. I can only assume that there is also great diversity in their student body in terms of background/education/experiences/interests. The professors and current vet students during the orientations appeared to also match this description of school diversity.

"blah! i totally want to meet this guy!!!!!"
!!!! get in line! I'm behind the stalker =) Just hope we all get into Western!
 
Ok.... don't look at it as your applications didn't matter in the decsion because you needed two yes votes on that as well..... so really it was already considered and all qualified applicants were interviewed..... so see it as you were all better than the ones who didn't get an interview...at least in the facilitators mind and how you presented on paper.

There are a lot of schools that I can recall from last year that also do the two votes or your out of the pool....so it is a trend that has been going on for awhile.... they do take into consideration that you are all very nervous during the interview.... I was one of the students helping out and you all looked like you were going to vomit, or pass out! The tour guides and speakers were keeping our distance just in case :laugh:

as far as diversity.... we are very diverse except in the male to female ratio.... out of the 105 students that were excetped about 15 were guys...some dropped etc...etc... now we only have about 10 guys
This is just a result of a trend in veterinary medicine that has been occuring for the past several years... there have been many many more female applicants

just as a side note.... I was so nervous that I couldn't stop my hands from shaking during my interview...even when I was shaking their hands after the interview...and I made it....I recall I even passed on a question and came back to it later....I also think I made absolutely no sense on one of my answers.....

only a couple more weeks..... hang in there everyone!