Western 2013 - Who's Applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Omg, we're all going crazy. You think if we don't get in we could sue for emotional distress?

haha, jk (I love Western!)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I GOT IN --- email sent at 10:53pm

---

It is my very great pleasure to inform you that you have been selected
for admission to the Class of 2013 of the College of Veterinary Medicine
(CVM) at Western University of Health Sciences. Your class, and the
faculty and staff of the college now embark upon an incredible journey of
learning, accomplishment and responsibility in the newest and most
innovative college of veterinary medicine in the country. This journey
will change all of our lives.



The academic year will begin August 3, 2009 with a six-day orientation
week. You can expect to be on campus from 8:00 am to at least5:00 pm
each day of that week (and academic weeks that follow), and I suggest
that you try to keep the evenings of that week open to accommodate
special events that may be added to the orientation calendar.



Please complete and return the Acceptance Declaration Form enclosed with
your acceptance letter (arriving via U.S. Mail) and a non-refundable
acceptance deposit of $500 to the CVM Admissions Office as soon as
possible in order to secure your seat. If this form and deposit are not
received in our office by April 15, 2009, your seat will be released to
an applicant in the alternate pool. If you decide not to accept this
offer, please complete the bottom section of the acceptance declaration
form and return to the Admissions Office so that we may release your seat
to another candidate.



Ensuring you have access to vital information regarding University
services is important to us; therefore, you are being provided with a
WesternU e-mail account. Your e-mail address is [email protected].
Your user name consists of the characters located to the left of the @
symbol in your e-mail address. Your initial password is your first
initial capitalized, your two digit birth month, your last initial in
lower case, your two digit birth day, a capital S, your four digit birth
year followed by an exclamation point. For example, a student name
Charlie Brown with a date of birth of 02/03/1987 would have an intial
password of C02b03S1987!. You must include the exclamation point. You
can access your e-mail account by typing mail.westernu.edu in your
browser's address bar.



The CVM routinely issues invitations to more candidates than seats
allotted. This is in response to the common practice of applicants
applying to multiple institutions. In the unprecedented event that the
class number significantly exceeds the College's resources, confirmation
of your seat will be provided after receipt of your written acceptance
and deposit on a first come first served basis. Therefore, you are
encouraged to make your decision and secure your seat in the class as
soon as possible.



I am very pleased to offer you this seat in the class, and you have my
warmest congratulations as you begin a most fulfilling career in
veterinary medicine. Please note the enclosed Pre-matriculation
Checklist
of critical documents and the dates by which they must be
received. If you have any questions please contact your admissions
counselor (http://prospective.westernu.edu/veterinary/contact).



Sincerely,



[Attached Image]


Phillip Nelson, DVM, PhD

Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine


 
was your email at 1053 too? I hope they didn't send them all at the same time =(

Hahah That's exactly what I was thinking! lol.. OH well we shall see ... I think this is going to be quite an interesting weekend.

Goodluck to all of that havent received anything yet:luck:
and
Congrats to all of you who got in !!😍
 
My acceptance e-mail came at 11:12pm, so it looks like they staggered it...? I am declining their acceptance since I have been accepted elsewhere (can't believe it! 😳) and don't think their curriculum will mesh with me. I hope this opens up room for more SDNers!
 
I got accepted! My email was sent at 10:53pm. I will very likely be declining my acceptance because I was also accepted to Minnesota and the Vet Prep program for Colorado. These schools are probably a better fit for me.

I feel sad and guilty having to decline two schools. To me, I feel like I am being ungrateful for the honor of being accepted because I have to tell them no. Does anyone feel this way, or am I being over-sensitive.

I can't believe I even got one acceptance not to mention three acceptances. It would be so much easier if I only got into one school and just be grateful that one school wanted me. No "what if I choose the wrong school for me", etc.

I am very grateful to get in on my second cycle. I can't believe my dream has finally come true. I just hope I don't screw it up.
 
Couldn't check my email last night....but just checked this AM and there it was...the best email EVER!!!!!!!!! Accepted Class 2013!!!!!

:highfive: To all my future classmates!!!!

:clap:

I'm at work right now (booooo) but I'll be walking around w/ a smile on my face all day. Great way to start a Friday.😀

For everyone else still waiting to hear :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
 
I checked my email this morning...I got accepted too! The email was sent at 1:54am (eastern time, 11:54pm CA time)...now I only have 2 schools left to hear from (Michigan and Florida which is my IS). This is so exciting, and so confusing at the same time...I think I am going to have to make a pro/con sheet for Western, Florida (hoping I get into my IS), and Ireland to help me make this very important choice!!!! Good luck to the rest of you still waiting to hear! 🙂 :luck:
 
Horay!! I got accepted!! The acceptance letter sneaked into my e-mail box last night when I was sleeping at 10:54pm (Pacific time).😀

Congrats to all that got accepted!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also was accepted at 10:53pm (Pacific time)! Good luck to the rest of you...now only 1 week and 3 days until Davis starts notifying students!
 
I just got my acceptance email (8:45AM)! I so was not expecting an email. I was so excited that I accidently locked the laundry door in my vet clinic and no one has a key! I guess thats what I get for checking my email at work!

Congrats to everyone. I will be seeing you in August!
 
Me too...sheesh!!! This makes for a great 3-day weekend of celebrating!!!
 
Last edited:
I'm feeling the same way catnapper. I think I'm rejected from both of the schools I interviewed at. this weekend is going to be torture

Update: Just got the dreaded alternate email. It was sent at 11:35 central time for those of you obsessing like me. lol. hopefully I still have a shot, but I'm pretty pessimistic at this point.
 
Last edited:
Just got the email stating I was on the alternate list. I am fine with that--I most likely was not going to go to Western even if I did get accepted, as I didn't think the curriculum and campus would mesh with me very well. I am still holding out for my IS school, U of MN--I am on the alternate list for that too.
 
I'm not giving up, but I was waitlisted last year at my IS school so I know how disappointing the waitlist can turn out to be.

Does anyone know any kind of stats about how many people got in off the waitlist last year?
 
Hey all!

I received an acceptance email from Western today too! Anyone else from the Boston area??

I'm currently deciding between Tufts and Western....anyone in the same situation or want to offer insight??

🙂
 
Hey all!

I received an acceptance email from Western today too! Anyone else from the Boston area??

I'm currently deciding between Tufts and Western....anyone in the same situation or want to offer insight??

🙂

GO TO TUFTS!!! :nod:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Catnapper, I hope the waitlist works out for you. I was dissapointed you are dissapointed. You too natalisies.

I was accepted but I thought I would post (for those obessing next year like we were this year) I could never even access that "secure" area of the website.

Catnapper I hope TN brings more luck and then you will have a choice!
 
GO TO TUFTS!!! :nod:

hahaha love it catnapper!

For those of you who have already decided to decline your offer can you please post your diversity profile? (home state, field of interest, experiences, etc)

Maybe if you are just like me I'll be more likely to get in!
 
Yay! strange that they would send out the emails late at night on the 12th, dated march 14th, after telling us the snail mail would be sent out tomorrow! oh well, very nice surprise.

I feel sad and guilty having to decline two schools. To me, I feel like I am being ungrateful for the honor of being accepted because I have to tell them no. Does anyone feel this way, or am I being over-sensitive.

I can't believe I even got one acceptance not to mention three acceptances. It would be so much easier if I only got into one school and just be grateful that one school wanted me. No "what if I choose the wrong school for me", etc.

I am very grateful to get in on my second cycle. I can't believe my dream has finally come true. I just hope I don't screw it up.

PitbullLover, you got in to three schools because YOU DESERVE IT! that's wonderful! the spots you decline will make other applicants very, very happy. that said, i think any emotions you've having and perfectly normal, because this is a very emotional process, and school decisions are taken very personally by us. and now you have the stress (granted, it's a good thing) of an important decision, but i bet you will do great whatever you decide. pat on the back for you!

I'm currently deciding between Tufts and Western....anyone in the same situation or want to offer insight??

yes, i'm in that spot now, too. i like them both. pro/con list time!

GO TO TUFTS!!! :nod:

why do you say? i could use advice. and i'm rooting for you, catnapper!
 
Haha I think Catnapper said that because she's on the alternate list... in which case, I would have to say GO TO WESTERN! Because I'm on the Tufts alternate list :laugh:

But really, I think the two schools are very different, so it's obviously more of a personal choice that I don't think anyone can help you make.
 
post on the acceptance thread everyone!!!!

im so excited!!!!!!!!! so excited to meet everyone! 😍😍😍

gosh, why does orientation/school start so early??! august 3rd....is that normal for all vet schools?

good luck to all waitlisters :luck::xf::luck:
 
I haven't received any emails from western yet 🙁 Anyone else in my position? I'm expecting the worst. Any input would be great.
 
I got my email around lunch time is so excited and relieved this whole process is finally over. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! :luck:
 
post on the acceptance thread everyone!!!!

im so excited!!!!!!!!! so excited to meet everyone! 😍😍😍

gosh, why does orientation/school start so early??! august 3rd....is that normal for all vet schools?

good luck to all waitlisters :luck::xf::luck:

Just posted! Feels surreal though....I can't wait to meet everyone AND move back West (miss my family 😳)
Yay!
 
Not the past 3ish years. They have overaccepted enough to not really need to go very far on the wait list since the '09 class was admitted.

Even more good news. So then: GO WHEREVER--IT DOESN'T MATTER!!

In the meanwhile...let me guess: all of you accepteds are either just now completing or have completed your first 4 years of undergrad within in the past 5 years, am I right?
 
Not the past 3ish years. They have overaccepted enough to not really need to go very far on the wait list since the '09 class was admitted.

I don't know about last year's class, but the posts from the year before said they did go through a lot of their list..so for the class of 2011. So I don't kno. I think it really depends on a lot of factors. I'm sure a lot of accepted people have more than one offer, plus with the economy and the cost of vet school it may change people's minds. I know I'd have to think a long time about it if I got an in state offer as well. Don't give up hope so soon!
 
Even more good news. So then: GO WHEREVER--IT DOESN'T MATTER!!

In the meanwhile...let me guess: all of you accepteds are either just now completing or have completed your first 4 years of undergrad within in the past 5 years, am I right?


I'm very non-trad! I think we're the same age Catnapper!...Finished my Master's 3 years ago and have been working full time and taking classes to boost my GPA ever since! Oh how I love all the hoops! I applied last year and rejected everywhere (even IS) then when I finally recieved a letter from Western I was...drumroll...waitlisted! The waiting is rough, I know, but hang in there! For you, and everyone else waitlisted, don't let them forget you...meaning if you have any poster/article/case study presentations or any new certifications btwn now and when school starts, ask them if you can add it to your file! Hand deliver if you can, but just make sure they know who you are and how excited you are to be taken off the waitlist and attend their school! I hope you get some good news soon, good luck!:luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Even more good news. So then: GO WHEREVER--IT DOESN'T MATTER!!

In the meanwhile...let me guess: all of you accepteds are either just now completing or have completed your first 4 years of undergrad within in the past 5 years, am I right?

Don't give up hope! Especially with the economy!

FYI my class had a lot of nontrads.:luck:
 
I'm very non-trad! I think we're the same age Catnapper!...Finished my Master's 3 years ago and have been working full time and taking classes to boost my GPA ever since! Oh how I love all the hoops! I applied last year and rejected everywhere (even IS) then when I finally recieved a letter from Western I was...drumroll...waitlisted! The waiting is rough, I know, but hang in there! For you, and everyone else waitlisted, don't let them forget you...meaning if you have any poster/article/case study presentations or any new certifications btwn now and when school starts, ask them if you can add it to your file! Hand deliver if you can, but just make sure they know who you are and how excited you are to be taken off the waitlist and attend their school! I hope you get some good news soon, good luck!:luck:

You're right--you are a nontrad--my bad. My problem? I don't have a Master's & I've been stuck in the same dead-end job for the past 5 years...add another year, now. So I won't be presenting any posters or earning any credentials (I can't afford to go back to research--I really am stuck). I don't have the luxury of still living in a dorm room and working P/T in a clinic/lab while doing school F/T. I'm at a point where I really don't know what else I can do to improve my chances. 😕
 
I haven't heard anything either..

Has anyone gotten a rejection e-mailed?

Has anyone spoken to the admissions office? Does anyone know if all acceptances were already e-mailed?

This is only my first application cycle, and I didn't apply to a lot of schools, but is it a bad idea to just go to Ross?