-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008
Started by mshheaddoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For anyone that interviewed on January 17 or 24th, have you heard anything yet? Well, cause I haven't.
For anyone that interviewed on January 17 or 24th, have you heard anything yet? Well, cause I haven't.
I interviewed on 1/24. I haven't heard anything yet either. We were told the Adcom would be meeting 1/31 and the decisions would be mailed out the day after. I called them last Friday, though, and was told that the decisions haven't been made yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure where everyone else is getting their info from, but in my little booklet that I got at the interview there were quite a few rotation sites for the NWT. There were the most in Oregon, then Washington, but there were also sites in ID, MT, WY, and UT. I don't think there were any in Alaska unfortunately. What I was told is that they TRY to get you to your home state, but they cannot guarantee it. It is a lottery system, but you get to put your preferences (1st and 2nd I think) for said lottery, so you hopefully won't get put into a state where you have absolutely no ties.
All in all, it seemed like there were about 20 - 30 different hospitals for the NWT. Once I get home, I'll look and repost if what I've said is grossly incorrect, but if I remember correctly, the NWT is actually pretty expansive!
All in all, it seemed like there were about 20 - 30 different hospitals for the NWT. Once I get home, I'll look and repost if what I've said is grossly incorrect, but if I remember correctly, the NWT is actually pretty expansive!
You are correct... there are tons of sites for NWT in the whole NW when it comes time for electives. However, for core rotations, you can only be in three different places: Tacoma/Centralia, Portland/Newburg, or Medford. While this is a great thing in many respects, you are still boxed out of the major teaching sites in Seattle and other parts of the NW for your cores.
I interviewed on 1/24. I haven't heard anything yet either. We were told the Adcom would be meeting 1/31 and the decisions would be mailed out the day after. I called them last Friday, though, and was told that the decisions haven't been made yet.
I thought they were meeting Wed. 1/30. When you called them did they say the decisions haven't been made or mailed because that seems odd if it was the former. I'll call them tomorrow to see what's going on. Good luck.
I'm not sure where everyone else is getting their info from, but in my little booklet that I got at the interview there were quite a few rotation sites for the NWT.
I'm an MS2, the information I quoted a few posts back is directly from the lottery list that was used for our class for NWT this year. Funny how brochures are different than reality.
For anyone that interviewed on January 17 or 24th, have you heard anything yet? Well, cause I haven't.
I interviewed on Thursday, 1/17, and received a letter via snail mail on Friday, 2/1.
Hi guys, I am going to be a doctor. I just got a letter from the dean at Western and I was accepted!!!!!!! It was the most horrible interview I have ever had but I am in now. BTW, I was interviewed on 1/31.
Edit: and by the letter, I mean a phone call. They are sending out an official letter after today.
Edit: and by the letter, I mean a phone call. They are sending out an official letter after today.
Does anyone else interview on February the 14th? Will there be a time before the interview when we can speak with the current medical students?
I'm interviewing on Valentine's Day too! see ya there
stmclovin congrats!!! I interviewed the same day as you too but didn't receive a phone call 🙁. Western is my first choice though and am keeping my fingers crossed. I live about 45 minutes away from Western so hopefully I'll be receiving a letter very soon.
I will post in the hillarious interview section. I thought interview did not go well at all.
hey did u ask them to call u or they did it on their own? i interviewed same day as u!
No, I did not do anything. Dean (the one who was shaking our hands when we were standing up) called and just said that the committee has met today and they are ofering me an acceptance.
I am not from Cali though. I am not sure how they decide whom to call. They might just send letters of acceptance without calling.
I am not from Cali though. I am not sure how they decide whom to call. They might just send letters of acceptance without calling.
No, I did not do anything. Dean (the one who was shaking our hands when we were standing up) called and just said that the committee has met today and they are ofering me an acceptance.
I am not from Cali though. I am not sure how they decide whom to call. They might just send letters of acceptance without calling.
did they call a home phone or cell phone. I have my home phone as a contact but its not working for some reason and no one can use it to call out or call in. ugh! lol. i guess i have to wait for a letter to see what my news is.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did they call a home phone or cell phone. I have my home phone as a contact but its not working for some reason and no one can use it to call out or call in. ugh! lol. i guess i have to wait for a letter to see what my news is.
I only have a cell phone. How are you expecting a call if your phone is not working 😛
I only have a cell phone. How are you expecting a call if your phone is not working 😛
well, i actually am not. im just hoping they aren't calling. I did change my aacomas contact info to my cell phone number, but i dont know how fast schools get notified, if at all. I dont really know how it works between aacomas and the schools.
I thought they were meeting Wed. 1/30. When you called them did they say the decisions haven't been made or mailed because that seems odd if it was the former. I'll call them tomorrow to see what's going on. Good luck.
I'm sure that they had said the decisions haven't been made. However, I received the letter yesterday via regular mail. I live only about 30 minutes away from Western, so that might be why I got the letter so quickly. Good luck to you, too.
Didn't receive a call from the Dean, either, but was still accepted.. so for those who didn't get a call, don't worry!
I'm not sure where everyone else is getting their info from, but in my little booklet that I got at the interview there were quite a few rotation sites for the NWT. There were the most in Oregon, then Washington, but there were also sites in ID, MT, WY, and UT. I don't think there were any in Alaska unfortunately. What I was told is that they TRY to get you to your home state, but they cannot guarantee it. It is a lottery system, but you get to put your preferences (1st and 2nd I think) for said lottery, so you hopefully won't get put into a state where you have absolutely no ties.
All in all, it seemed like there were about 20 - 30 different hospitals for the NWT. Once I get home, I'll look and repost if what I've said is grossly incorrect, but if I remember correctly, the NWT is actually pretty expansive!
Thanks, i hope to return here to AK for my family's sake and because I love the state. I should hear from the school soon I hope as I e-mailed them this question about Alaska rotations. Thanks for everyones response and I'll post what I get from the school.
I got a phone call this morning as I was driving into work. Hurrah! A spot in the NWT - just what I wanted. I interviewed the 31st.
Off to work now.
congrats! is this your first acceptance?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is only one site in WA and it's in Federal Way/Tacoma (about 30-40 min south of Seattle) in the NWT track. The rest are in Oregon.
Mr. Foley says "The Northwest Track does not yet have a CORE teaching site in Alaska . Currently CORE requirements are predominantly completed at sites in Washington and Oregon . There may be changes to this by the time you reach your clinical years at COMP but this is where the program is now. There would be opportunity for your to complete your electives at sites in Alaska should you wish to do so. Additionally, if there are contacts within hospitals or clinics that I can align with on your behalf I am happy to do so."
Congrats to all who were accepted, I got an interview invite for March.
Anyone know of a good place for a family - (one) wife and one kid 🙂 - to live not too far away from the school?
thanks
Anyone know of a good place for a family - (one) wife and one kid 🙂 - to live not too far away from the school?
thanks
I live about 5 miles from school in Chino Hills and I love the place. Everything you practically need is here from a good school system to Costco to a State Park. A lot of the students I think also live in Claremont. That area has more of a college town atmosphere. Good Luck. I'm in the waiting game right now after my interview yesterday. crossing my fingers!
I'll be interviewing on the 14th...it has to be good luck to interview on Valentine's day, right? BTW, did you receive any information regarding the interview date? I checked on their website and it looks like we are supposed to check-in at 9:15 am, but I was wondering if there's anything else I should know...Thanks!!
Also questions for Cali people:
1) Do I have to get smog inspection done on my non-Cali car? there is no smog where I live
2) Any advice for a nice apartment complex? I want to have a garage (or secured parking), locked entrance and convinient location? as far as getting to school and rotations?
3) Anyone uses wireless internet from Verizon or Sprint? does it work well?
1) Do I have to get smog inspection done on my non-Cali car? there is no smog where I live
2) Any advice for a nice apartment complex? I want to have a garage (or secured parking), locked entrance and convinient location? as far as getting to school and rotations?
3) Anyone uses wireless internet from Verizon or Sprint? does it work well?
to those who are accepted... I am still waiting for my letter. When is the depasit due? Is it refundable? How do I get to see acceptance procedures.
I believe I had about a month after I received the letter. 👍
Also any good moving companies? I live about 1500 miles away. I will pack the items in boxes. But I want the moving company to carry everything from apartment into the trailer, drive it, and carry everything into whatever apartment I find. Currently, I have a large 1bd apartment.
I have a lot of stuff starting from furniture (not that expensive, but not cheap either, furniture... but why spend time/money to buy new?), audio equipment, speakers, TV, bed, clothes. I moved 4 years ago and I had to rent a midium-size Uhaul. Now, I have more stuff.
I have a lot of stuff starting from furniture (not that expensive, but not cheap either, furniture... but why spend time/money to buy new?), audio equipment, speakers, TV, bed, clothes. I moved 4 years ago and I had to rent a midium-size Uhaul. Now, I have more stuff.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be interviewing on the 14th...it has to be good luck to interview on Valentine's day, right? BTW, did you receive any information regarding the interview date? I checked on their website and it looks like we are supposed to check-in at 9:15 am, but I was wondering if there's anything else I should know...Thanks!!
There isn't much to know before hand about the day other then practicing for your interview. Most of the people you'll meet are good people so it should be a relaxed day. Bring a pen if you wanna take some notes as they go over the packet given to you. Good Luck!
Also questions for Cali people:
1) Do I have to get smog inspection done on my non-Cali car? there is no smog where I live
2) Any advice for a nice apartment complex? I want to have a garage (or secured parking), locked entrance and convinient location? as far as getting to school and rotations?
3) Anyone uses wireless internet from Verizon or Sprint? does it work well?
1) The DMV will prob let you know if you need to do that and if so its an easy process unless you gotta fix something.
2) I'd say look for one in Claremont or Chino Hills they may not have a gate but they'll be safe and close.
3) N/A
hey guys, I found this on USnews. Why are the numbers are so low for the 1st choice? I think in other schools these numbers are higher
Residency Program Admissions
2006 graduates admitted to their first-choice residency program: 51.4%
2006 graduates admitted to one of their top three choices of residency programs: 68.2%
Residency Program Admissions
2006 graduates admitted to their first-choice residency program: 51.4%
2006 graduates admitted to one of their top three choices of residency programs: 68.2%
ahhh...just got the letter back today..Alternate list 🙁. Does anyone have any advice regarding what I should do about letter of intent? Western is my first choice by far and I would be devastated if it turns into a rejection.
how did you feel the interview went? im in chicago, so i probably wont get the letter till monday. im freaking out now.
I felt my interview went pretty well. I suspect that the main reason for my being on the alternate list is probably my GPA (less than 3.2). I'm really hoping that a letter of intent would help convince them of how much I really want to go there. Does anyone have any advice on how I would go about writing a letter of intent? Is there any special procedures that I have to go through or do I just mail it straight to admissions?
Alternate. It looks like I need to retake the MCAT since mine expires this year... anyone else in the same boat? I'm waitlisted at the two schools I interviewed at. Now I have to beat my own 30.... at some point this whole process becomes ridiculous.
Alternate. It looks like I need to retake the MCAT since mine expires this year... anyone else in the same boat? I'm waitlisted at the two schools I interviewed at. Now I have to beat my own 30.... at some point this whole process becomes ridiculous.
where do you live? i still have not received a letter, probably have to wait till monday. I hate living so far away from Los Angeles.
damn all these alternate posts, its scaring me a bit.
Did anyone receive a letter from Western stating that they have gone over your application but will choose not to grant you an interview at this time. However, after March 15, they will let you know? Does anyone know what are my chances after this point?
UltraRunner: what's your longest race?
Buddy of mine did his first 50-miler recently. His feet were torn to shreds.
Buddy of mine did his first 50-miler recently. His feet were torn to shreds.
Also questions for Cali people:
1) Do I have to get smog inspection done on my non-Cali car? there is no smog where I live
2) Any advice for a nice apartment complex? I want to have a garage (or secured parking), locked entrance and convinient location? as far as getting to school and rotations?
3) Anyone uses wireless internet from Verizon or Sprint? does it work well?
1) Do I have to get smog inspection done on my non-Cali car? there is no smog where I live
YES. My car was initially purchased in Cali, took it to another state, then brought it back to Cali 3.5 yrs later and I had to get the smog check. I coughed up $60...but look for a coupon and you can usually get it for $30.
I have a 50K coming up. Working my way up... Done tons of marathons though. =)UltraRunner: what's your longest race?
Buddy of mine did his first 50-miler recently. His feet were torn to shreds.
I have a 50K coming up. Working my way up... Done tons of marathons though. =)
Is it one of those 'mountain 50K" where it is basically one long trail run? I want to do one of those, some of them are suppose to be incredible. If that is what you are doing PM me please and tell me more (like about your training)
where do you live? i still have not received a letter, probably have to wait till monday. I hate living so far away from Los Angeles.
damn all these alternate posts, its scaring me a bit.
WA
I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to get from the airport to the school. Should I take a taxi, rent a car, or something else? I'm looking for the least expensive route.
I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to get from the airport to the school. Should I take a taxi, rent a car, or something else? I'm looking for the least expensive route.
Which airport - LAX or ONT?
Are you going directly to the interview from the airport?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ontario airport. Yes I will be traveling from the airport to the school.
Ontario airport. Yes I will be traveling from the airport to the school.
Then it's a toss up as to what's cheaper. Personally, I'd rent a cheap car for $30/d and drive around a little.
Then it's a toss up as to what's cheaper. Personally, I'd rent a cheap car for $30/d and drive around a little.
I flew into LGB (long beach) and rented a car from alamo/national. i only ended up paying about $85 for 3 days of rental. It was supposed to be $170 after a few mixups (hybrid car cant be rented under age of 25 (im 24), and $25 extra each day for under 25 age). But when i took the car back, the lady was like ok you owe $85, i paid and ran before they knew better. 🙂 I had a handy navigation with me, but driving was quite easy in LA.
About how much will a cab ride cost me? What if I don't feel like driving?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 18
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 111
- Views
- 20K
- Sticky
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 22K