Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...well i donno but i know that i am one of those waitlisted...i called Diana Dominguez yesterday and she said: "at this point, if you receive acceptance from somewhere else you should take it and do not wait for Western waitlist...

It's really kind of ridiculous...They shouldn't put us on the alternate list if they have no intention of accepting us in the long run. At this point I believe getting placed on the waitlist at Western is equivalent to getting rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

It's really kind of ridiculous...They shouldn't put us on the alternate list if they have no intention of accepting us in the long run. At this point I believe getting placed on the waitlist at Western is equivalent to getting rejected.

Do we know how many people got off the waitlist last year? I'm sure there are still a ton of people holding multiple spots. I think it's too soon to despair.

I know I have heard a bunch of Docs talk about getting the call 1 week before class starts, and them having to scramble to get ready. You've probably heard some of those stories too. At this point we could loose a bunch of people for bad credit....were not all through the loan approval process yet.

Wee... Got my letter yesterday and faxed it in this morning. Hopefully some good news will come soon about not deferring.

Members don't see this ad :)

...Amen....but i guess this will help us to appreciate our journey to the medical school more later on...but trust me it is hard to wait and wonder where your life might end up next...

..hope this help my fellow waitlisters!!!

Those on the waitlist, not the accepted waitlist, but on the standard alternate list still have a chance. I got accepted a few days before school started, and i know of at least 4 others that got accepted like me and many others that got accepted off the waitlist as the summer passed. Hang in there, don't stress out, send LOI's, call them up, and get some new recommendations sent to them. Not everyone will get off the waitlist, but many will get the chance once things start to finalize and people ultimately pick the school they want to be at next year (those that have multiple spots, or those that get accepted to their first choice off alternate lists).

Why oh why did I get a rejection email from this school today when I didn't apply?!

anyone have an idea of how many are on the waitlist and how many are on the deferred for 2010 waitlist? with ~200 seats filled, i hope there aren't 300 people on the waiting list. that would suck!

has anyone gotten rejected from western?
wait list = rejected
is that the brutal truth?

i heard fromt The dean 3,700 people applied this year to fill 200 spots.
this doesnt look good for my waitlist letter, and right now im on thin ice.

i wish there was some answers other than, "the class size changes weekly"

good luck to everyone.

Western is great if you are a self-learner. Because COMP has a history of being very vindictive against students who speak out against the school, and trust me this school is all about "big brother is watching," I will not answer any details about what year I am/was, gender, etc.

On one end the school does not want you to whine, and they really emphasize being a self-learner. "Lifelong learning...etc. etc." Well the problem is, on one hand they say that but then on the other they are completely fascist when it comes to class attendance.

One of the perks of Western is the apreso system, which is basically a webcast recording that you can go back and learn from. Half the administration says that not physically attending class is fine if you are a better learner by watching the videos for that day, while others are completely opposed to students skipping lecture. For example, the second years just finished a pediatrics week where the course director overstepped her bounds on numerous occasions and pretty much interrogated students whenever they got up to go to the restroom, for fear that they were trying to skip. From the start her solution was unannounced pop-quizzes. To get the full impact of this, you've got to understand that up until that point second years had pretty much figured out on an individual basis for themselves what study habits worked for them, and which didn't. Class attendance on the average is less than half, because students either watch it at double-speed, or simply depend on books altogether and teach themselves. For courses such as biochemistry, knowing how to learn from a book is essential because the professors are horrible. This is one of the few courses where, for those of you who will be attending COMP soon, you will get a virtually unanimous opinion that the biochemistry faculty, to put it colloquially, "sucks."

Western is in a time of flux right now. The faculty who have been with the school for longer than 10 years are about to retire if they haven't already quit from school-politics controversy, or they got fired because Western seems not be place great emphasis on teaching prowess. The faculty who have been here for less than four years, will mysteriously dissappear as the school will tell the students that they quit, when really it's general knowledge that they were fired. So basically the bottom line is this: there are some faculty who are quality, but the vast majority, though they may be experts in their fields as phds, do NOT succeed in conveying their knowledge to students. There is one professor (associate professor) who's name has the two words "mits" and "sour" in her name, that would indicate a lack of proficiency in not only teaching, but also her field. To those of you who will be joining us at COMP, she may or may not be here because she has gotten unanimously horrendous reviews by the students, as well as being on the bad side of the course director.

The bottom line is this: right now the school is focused so much on expanding and trying not to hemorrhage money from every orifice. Just go to the website. The school already has 6 colleges, of which only 2 were bringing in substantial income, which are the pharmacy program and the medical school. The other four were not self-supporting (Physician assistant, physical therapy, master degree of health/public policy, and veterinary). And now, the school is opening three more schools in what it hopes will be a very lucrative venture: podiatry, dentistry, and optometry. Exactly how does a single, third-tier medical school, expect to afford and maintain a quality educational experience expanding so voraciously? You can't have quality and quantity. Somebody is going to suffer somewhere. I wish I had known that this school had the reputation of being just a factory that pumps volumes of students out at a class-size of 220.

Many western students are successful. My point in posting this is that it's not the school that is doing it. Western is just very good at picking students who will survive the poor-education this place offers. Let us not be naive. All schools first and foremost are a business. So what you really should be looking for, for those of you who truly do have many choices and options, are physical facilities, the current student-body's critique of faculty, and as dumb as it seems, the hours the library is open. Why? Because it is a very basic indicator for whether the school truly promotes and nurtures a scholarly environment for the students. Western's library hours? Just to save you the trouble: closes at 6pm on fridays, and seven pm on saturdays and sundays, regardless of whether the students have an exam or not. The rest of the week? 11 pm. I didn't go to a very presigious undergrad, but even their hours were not as pathetic as this.

I actually agree with a lot of the stuff you pointed out, but just to comment on one thing you said... yes the library hours leaves much to be desired but come on there's always HPC, open til midnight every day! A good handful of students make use of it all the time (non-exam time). I believe Dean Adams also said that w/the completion of the new building (next year?) we will gain even more study environment :thumbup:

/optimism

While I admit that my options probably weren't as vast and wide as yours or others, I try to stay positive and stand by my choice to come to Western.

Western's library hours? Just to save you the trouble: closes at 6pm on fridays, and seven pm on saturdays and sundays, regardless of whether the students have an exam or not. The rest of the week? 11 pm. I didn't go to a very presigious undergrad, but even their hours were not as pathetic as this.

I don't think that's quite fair. I'm currently finishing up the masters program at Tufts Medical School and their library hours aren't much longer. Last year before the library was completely remodeled it was open M-F 7:45am-11pm, F: 7:45am-7pm, Sat 10am-7pm, Sun noon-11pm. Now it's just staffed during those hours, but the study space is open while the building is open (7:30'ish to midnight).

Yah the HPC is an entirely different matter.

To all you who have yet to visit or already have, what the school doesn't always tell you up front is that the main DO building is also the main Pharmacy building. The entire facility has study rooms (which are called break-out rooms), and the pharm program has priority over them..all of them until 3pm. The only other program that rarely studies at HPC is the veterninary program because they have their own building. On the occasion that more than 2 programs have exams, good luck finding a place to study in the HPC. In addition, the library hours would be forgivable for a graduate-level institution if at the very least the HPC was open later than midnight, especially on exam weekends. The school can't manage to do even that (though they have "graciously granted" extended hours at the petition of the student body on occasion), but it makes even less sense that while they schedule exams regularly on most three-day weekends to give us extra time to study, the HPC is closed on most of those holidays.

The new building is indeed on the way, but as to exactly how many of the Dean's promises will come true is up to anybody's guess. Why you ask? Because while Dean Adams is very good at running the school as a politician, it unfortunately has led to many lies. What I have heard from those "chosen few" who signed up for pacific northwest rotations is that the Dean flat out lied on more than one occasion regarding the condition of Western's rotation sites. Low and behold, this year the school made public that it's abolishing the northwest rotation program and instead opening up a satellite university near Corvallis, OR to maintain its "market share" of students that it is allowed to enroll, as determined by the governing body AOA Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA). Why do I say "market share?" Because a big concern was the loss of rotation sites when the Yakima school opened. Much of the reason why COCA allowed the expansion of the entering classes by 30 seats (which is how Western's enrollment size rivals that of even many allopathic schools) is because there was no osteopathic school in the pacific northwest, and the promise to COCA was that rotation-education quality would be maintained by sending those 30 back to the pacific northwest.

When COCA was on campus last year to put Western through the accred. process, I personally heard with my own ears one of the COCA staff asking the Dean if the students had "...a facility available to them 24 hours a day." The dean, being the excellent politician and CEO that he is, answered "Yes, this building is open 24 hours." For me, that was the last remnants of my image of the dean go right out the window. For me, a large part of why I came here was because the dean himself made an appearance on interview day, and I bought into what he was selling, hook, line, and sinker.

To those of you who it seems are students at Western, it is relieving to hear that you still do not regret it. I just want applicants to know what I wish someone had told me, when I was an applicant. I write this not to slander the school. This is still a school that has existed for over 30 years, and the bottom line is that this school has produced many physicians. However, I can't stand by and allow students to committ so much money, time, and effort, without having a more whole picture of this place, because I think we can all agree the school is all about patting itself on the back. This school brags about its achievements, when really it's the high-caliber of the students that has gotten them through, NOT the excellence of the resources Western makes available.

I will say this...the people here, meaning the student body, are great. The classmates are awesome (most of them anyway, as each class will have its share of insecure self-proclaimed "gunners" and administration suck-ups who look out for their own gains, such as people whose name includes the word "grove", and not the good of their fellow classmates). A very small, miniscule fraction of the faculty, really do care and my fear is that, as stated in my earlier post, will not stick around for the politics of the administration. At what other school will one of the assistant-deans be the favorite nephew of the president of the university? At what other school will the president's son be given free-reign in the academic setting where no prior experience in the didactic realm exists? Yes...President Pumerantz's son, also Dr. Pumerantz (a DO), has made the last 2 years very difficult for the last 2 classes of second years, with his position as not only course director of a single course, but really second-year curriculum director. The drama he managed to spark by, in front of the student body, criticizing tenured faculty, as well as one of the assistant-deans who is in charge of curriculum development, was intense to put it lightly. It must be nice having the right last name. :)

This place is not for all. It is for the self-motivated learner. And even then, buyer beware, because, while it is certainly naive to expect anything more for your 6-figure debt than that piece of paper in the end, there are institutions out there who truly are better established, and rather than trying to run 9 programs haphazardly, seek to run only a few very well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
wow....this kinda bummed me out a little.

Oh well, I'm sure every school in the US has it's drawbacks. Thanks for the useful information.

Just got my acceptance letter today, anyone else?

Aww man, this note was very disheartening. From my experiences so far, I have had doubts on attending Western. Since my acceptance, my efforts attempting to contact the administrative staff has been very unsuccessful. The staff do not return phone calls or emails and are somewhat tactless. Unfortunately, this is only acceptance that I have pending a waitlist so I really don't have anywhere else to go. :(

I am 2 months away from finishing my 1st year at Western and I am beyond happy with my decision to attend this school. I turned down several acceptances (including 2 M.D. schools) because of my passion for this program. I have countless positive things to say about COMP... this would be a very lengthy post if I began to list them all (nor do I want to argue with the unhappy person who wrote the original message). I do not usually write on SDN but it broke my heart to read the previous post about Western. I would be happy to discuss my experiences at this school via PM with anybody who is considering COMP yet is struggling with the decision. I know how hard it is to decide where to attend medical school- it might be one of the most important/difficult choices you will ever make. However, I have never once questioned my decision to attend COMP and I feel truly honored to be a student here :oops: Please message me if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further.:)

I am sorry that disenchanted perceives his or her educational process at Western so negatively. My husband is a student there and feels he is being well-prepared. The group of people that he studies with are all doing well and more than satisfied with their experience there and, for what it is worth, the match list for this year was encouraging.

I was a little mystified about the "lack of study space" as it seems like a lot of studying happens on campus but also at people's houses, libraries of the Claremont colleges and even at cafes on Mt. Baldy.

Maybe a different school would be a better fit for you disenchanted, have you looked into transferring? It may also be difficult to find a residency and/or work situation that will be satisfying for you, have you had any luck looking at the different programs or specialties?

Best Wishes,

Aww man, this note was very disheartening. From my experiences so far, I have had doubts on attending Western. Since my acceptance, my efforts attempting to contact the administrative staff has been very unsuccessful. The staff do not return phone calls or emails and are somewhat tactless. Unfortunately, this is only acceptance that I have pending a waitlist so I really don't have anywhere else to go. :(

Thats funny as they have been nothing but prompt and awesome with me and my inquiries.

Maybe you are not really trying or tried at a bad time and gave up. Or not - idk

Best of luck to you.

anybody doing smspp or isac this summer looking for roommates?? i have 3 total including myself but possibly looking for a 4th roommate. i've found several 4 br houses around 2100. pm me if interested

anybody doing smspp or isac this summer looking for roommates?? i have 3 total including myself but possibly looking for a 4th roommate. i've found several 4 br houses around 2100. pm me if interested

You know....you probably should mention the mandatory banana hammock around the house rule when you advertise for a roommate. :banana: It could come as a shock to people not inclined to the hammock lifestyle.

I am 2 months away from finishing my 1st year at Western and I am beyond happy with my decision to attend this school. I turned down several acceptances (including 2 M.D. schools) because of my passion for this program. I have countless positive things to say about COMP... this would be a very lengthy post if I began to list them all (nor do I want to argue with the unhappy person who wrote the original message). I do not usually write on SDN but it broke my heart to read the previous post about Western. I would be happy to discuss my experiences at this school via PM with anybody who is considering COMP yet is struggling with the decision. I know how hard it is to decide where to attend medical school- it might be one of the most important/difficult choices you will ever make. However, I have never once questioned my decision to attend COMP and I feel truly honored to be a student here :oops: Please message me if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further.:)
I could hug you. Thanks :)

anyone who interviewed at the last interview date (Apr 9th) hear back anything yet? Its been a while...

Hey everyone, I withdrew my acceptance today. Didn't make sense to pay the 2k and possibly not even make it into this year's class when it is a sure thing for me else where. Best of luck to all those still vying to get in!:thumbup:

Hey everyone, I withdrew my acceptance today. Didn't make sense to pay the 2k and possibly not even make it into this year's class when it is a sure thing for me else where. Best of luck to all those still vying to get in!:thumbup:

:love:

Thanks!

One spot closer to an acceptance.... :xf:

Did anyone else get a call today? I missed a call from Western and when I called back they had already gone home for the day.

I am sorry that disenchanted perceives his or her educational process at Western so negatively. My husband is a student there and feels he is being well-prepared. The group of people that he studies with are all doing well and more than satisfied with their experience there and, for what it is worth, the match list for this year was encouraging.

I was a little mystified about the "lack of study space" as it seems like a lot of studying happens on campus but also at people's houses, libraries of the Claremont colleges and even at cafes on Mt. Baldy.

Maybe a different school would be a better fit for you disenchanted, have you looked into transferring? It may also be difficult to find a residency and/or work situation that will be satisfying for you, have you had any luck looking at the different programs or specialties?

Best Wishes,

I do believe a different school may have been a better decision, but hindsight is always perfect.

I think what you are saying regarding the study space is exactly what I wrote regarding the study space. If Western did a better job of giving COMP students their money's worth instead of pumping into start-ups for other colleges, perhaps Western students wouldn't have to go to the Claremont colleges to study. One of the major concerns of many COMP students is that we have no place of our own to study. We may have a linkage program with Claremont, but none of our tuition dollars goes to Claremont, and it is simply their graciousness that allows western students to have a decent, albeit remote, place to study.

Western is great if you are a self-learner. Because COMP has a history of being very vindictive against students who speak out against the school, and trust me this school is all about "big brother is watching," I will not answer any details about what year I am/was, gender, etc.

On one end the school does not want you to whine, and they really emphasize being a self-learner. "Lifelong learning...etc. etc." Well the problem is, on one hand they say that but then on the other they are completely fascist when it comes to class attendance.

One of the perks of Western is the apreso system, which is basically a webcast recording that you can go back and learn from. Half the administration says that not physically attending class is fine if you are a better learner by watching the videos for that day, while others are completely opposed to students skipping lecture. For example, the second years just finished a pediatrics week where the course director overstepped her bounds on numerous occasions and pretty much interrogated students whenever they got up to go to the restroom, for fear that they were trying to skip. From the start her solution was unannounced pop-quizzes. To get the full impact of this, you've got to understand that up until that point second years had pretty much figured out on an individual basis for themselves what study habits worked for them, and which didn't. Class attendance on the average is less than half, because students either watch it at double-speed, or simply depend on books altogether and teach themselves. For courses such as biochemistry, knowing how to learn from a book is essential because the professors are horrible. This is one of the few courses where, for those of you who will be attending COMP soon, you will get a virtually unanimous opinion that the biochemistry faculty, to put it colloquially, "sucks."

Western is in a time of flux right now. The faculty who have been with the school for longer than 10 years are about to retire if they haven't already quit from school-politics controversy, or they got fired because Western seems not be place great emphasis on teaching prowess. The faculty who have been here for less than four years, will mysteriously dissappear as the school will tell the students that they quit, when really it's general knowledge that they were fired. So basically the bottom line is this: there are some faculty who are quality, but the vast majority, though they may be experts in their fields as phds, do NOT succeed in conveying their knowledge to students. There is one professor (associate professor) who's name has the two words "mits" and "sour" in her name, that would indicate a lack of proficiency in not only teaching, but also her field. To those of you who will be joining us at COMP, she may or may not be here because she has gotten unanimously horrendous reviews by the students, as well as being on the bad side of the course director.

The bottom line is this: right now the school is focused so much on expanding and trying not to hemorrhage money from every orifice. Just go to the website. The school already has 6 colleges, of which only 2 were bringing in substantial income, which are the pharmacy program and the medical school. The other four were not self-supporting (Physician assistant, physical therapy, master degree of health/public policy, and veterinary). And now, the school is opening three more schools in what it hopes will be a very lucrative venture: podiatry, dentistry, and optometry. Exactly how does a single, third-tier medical school, expect to afford and maintain a quality educational experience expanding so voraciously? You can't have quality and quantity. Somebody is going to suffer somewhere. I wish I had known that this school had the reputation of being just a factory that pumps volumes of students out at a class-size of 220.

Many western students are successful. My point in posting this is that it's not the school that is doing it. Western is just very good at picking students who will survive the poor-education this place offers. Let us not be naive. All schools first and foremost are a business. So what you really should be looking for, for those of you who truly do have many choices and options, are physical facilities, the current student-body's critique of faculty, and as dumb as it seems, the hours the library is open. Why? Because it is a very basic indicator for whether the school truly promotes and nurtures a scholarly environment for the students. Western's library hours? Just to save you the trouble: closes at 6pm on fridays, and seven pm on saturdays and sundays, regardless of whether the students have an exam or not. The rest of the week? 11 pm. I didn't go to a very presigious undergrad, but even their hours were not as pathetic as this.

i don't know what you expect in not being a "self learner." You really want them to hold our hands and take our tests for us? calling out a prof on a public forum is hardly professional and your criticism would be more valuable at the dean's town hall meeting that all 10 of us attend. Western has it's problems, yes, I'm certainly glad I came this year and not next, but overall, I don't think the problems you address here are unique to our school.

i don't know what you expect in not being a "self learner." You really want them to hold our hands and take our tests for us? calling out a prof on a public forum is hardly professional and your criticism would be more valuable at the dean's town hall meeting that all 10 of us attend. Western has it's problems, yes, I'm certainly glad I came this year and not next, but overall, I don't think the problems you address here are unique to our school.

hmmm RU ? Could you maybe expand on what you mean by that? ? ?

As well 'self learner' ? Disenchanted, could you define what you mean by that ?
Seems like he/she thinks too much of the learning was left on his/her shoulders...not that they want a someone to teach them how to walk :) Right?

Yet I do agree that calling out a prof name on a public forum is not something that ought to be done.

? ? ?

"There is one professor (associate professor) who's name has the two words "mits" and "sour" in her name, that would indicate a lack of proficiency in not only teaching, but also her field."

What kind of irrational idiotic conclusion is that? How can you make a conclusion about someone's competence based on their last name? :confused:

"There is one professor (associate professor) who's name has the two words "mits" and "sour" in her name, that would indicate a lack of proficiency in not only teaching, but also her field."

What kind of irrational idiotic conclusion is that? How can you make a conclusion about someone's competence based on their last name? :confused:

That was just a cue to all current students about whom Disenchanted was speaking.

On another note, I am finishing up my first year at Western, and I am very happy with my decision and I had options. I understand Disenchanted voicing her/his opinion, but I do not feel like most of the problems are specific to Western, or truly 'hidden' so to speak. Library hours are on the website, and when I interviewed I clearly saw the building was shared with Pharmacy. I knew when I made my living arrangements that I needed/preferred a quiet place for myself at home and I adjusted accordingly. I know there are drawbacks to Western, but the same can be said for any school. I would advise anyone who is looking into medical school to visit the campus in regular clothes, ask as many questions as possible, and go with your gut about the school that fits criteria that are most important to you- not someone else.

Here are just a few reasons why I choose Western in no particular order:
-Systems-based curriculum
-Ability to watch lectures online
-The people: I got a great vibe when visiting and I can honestly say my classmates are amazing
-Low competition among classmates: I am not one of those people who exhaustively compares myself with others. I like that Western is not cut-throat like you might imagine medical school to be. We all like to have fun and be social, even if it is few and far between.
-Good match list
-Reputation in the community and profession
-Positive opinions of friends who attended and felt prepared for boards, work
-Standardized patient program- I know I learn best when trying things out on my own, and although sometimes the exercises are silly, I feel I have learned with every one of them. Also, I think Western grads are most likely very well prepared to interact with their patients. One of the reasons why I wanted to go into medicine was to be different than a doctor that gave my family inappropriate bad news.
-No daily, in-class dress code- I know it sounds petty, but I appreciate how we are not forced into business casual dress besides when interacting with standardized patients once every two weeks.
-Rotations can be arranged to be all within a moderate distance of a home in SoCal. I prefer to rotate at multiple sites to learn how different locations operate, how to chart in different computer systems, etc. I also like how there is more than one major hospital to learn at.

That is it for now, but I hope that helps all those who are deciding on where to attend. Good luck with your decision.

Sassybird :)

I just got a secondary finally...do any of you think its worth it for me to fill it out...I had given up hope and planned to re-apply to md and do schools again as my stats have improved.

Thanks

I just got a secondary finally...do any of you think its worth it for me to fill it out...I had given up hope and planned to re-apply to md and do schools again as my stats have improved.

Thanks

They are still sending out secondaries? That is interesting... Considering they are already full and are only giving acceptances that are conditional on someone withdrawing.

I don't know if they are even interviewing any more. What I do know is that the class IS full, so if you do fill it out and get an interview you will either get a high waitlist spot (guaranteed admission to next year's class) or a regular wait list spot.

i wouldn't know if its even worth the effort now to finish a secondary. As previously stated. The most you can get off an interview (if they provide one) would be offer admission next year pending space open this year, or a waitlist.

Even if you do fill it out, I would still suggest you to re-apply when AACOMAS opens for next cycle.

they are referring to a prof on teaching, not just the name. obviously they have had this prof before, not just concluding her abilities based on her name.

I will say this...the people here, meaning the student body, are great. The classmates are awesome (most of them anyway, as each class will have its share of insecure self-proclaimed "gunners" and administration suck-ups who look out for their own gains, such as people whose name includes the word "grove", and not the good of their fellow classmates).

I can't believe I missed this one the first time, but to call out a fellow classmate on a public forum anonymously is the true mark of spineless, cowardly prick. Instead of wasting your time bashing Western and your fellow future colleagues on this forum, why not at least approach the person you have a problem with in person and say something? I can't say I get along with everyone in class, but I'm also not pretending to be wiser and calling out names on ****ing student doctor.

hmmm RU ? Could you maybe expand on what you mean by that? ? ?

As well 'self learner' ? Disenchanted, could you define what you mean by that ?
Seems like he/she thinks too much of the learning was left on his/her shoulders...not that they want a someone to teach them how to walk :) Right?

Yet I do agree that calling out a prof name on a public forum is not something that ought to be done.

? ? ?

next year's class should know that the schools will be mixed for most of the basic sciences. Something I don't think I would do. But there are plenty of MD/DMD/DDS schools that already do that and it works fine. AZCOM does this, but that is also why I chose not to go there. I don't think it's the most personal way to get an education, but then again, you're in grad school, no one is going to hold your hand with the volume of material you're going to receive.

if anyone wants more info, feel free to PM me, I am more than honest with my answers and will try my best to represent Western as it is.

Yo - okay, so they still haven't sent me my letter, even though they SAID they were sending me a copy of the one they claim to have sent out at the start of March to the address I reconfirmed with them. For people on the alternate list (like me), is there some deposit or confirmation letter you have to send to keep your spot on the alternate list? Or is it just a letter saying "You're on the alternate list, maybe we'll call you"? I'm getting so fed up with Western at this point... My interview was Feb. 12 by the way.

You should have received a letter stating that you have been accepted but space may have been filled. blah blah blah. well you know the condition.

There should be an acceptance letter to fill out and return with deposit (if you want to pay thru cheque/money order).

I would call again to confirm your status and just try to pay the deposit with credit card over the phone (which I did) first while waiting for the letter. I thnk that's how you can guarantee holding a spot.

Btw - don't ever wait too long, be persistent. If you ever feel something not right, keep calling them until its right, but mind your manner even if it takes you to call every 5 min for almost an hour until picked up :p (happened to me)

I'm not "accepted pending space", I'm just alternate listed. And I did call and such, several times, as well as emailing, but all they said (by the 3rd email) was that they will remail the letter - they never told me if there was anything I needed to confirm or if there were deposits.

I'm not "accepted pending space", I'm just alternate listed. And I did call and such, several times, as well as emailing, but all they said (by the 3rd email) was that they will remail the letter - they never told me if there was anything I needed to confirm or if there were deposits.

The regular alternate list doesn't have a deposit. You just wait.

A deposit is required only if you are accepted pending space, because the school is promising a spot this year or next year. Alternate list they are not promising anything. If you are accepted off of the waitlist (which would happen late July at the earliest, in most cases, from what I hear), then you have to submit a deposit.

That is my understanding.

I'm hoping the requirement of a deposit for the "accepted pending space" makes some people take spots they have at other schools... :xf:

You should have received a letter stating that you have been accepted but space may have been filled. blah blah blah. well you know the condition.

There should be an acceptance letter to fill out and return with deposit (if you want to pay thru cheque/money order).

I would call again to confirm your status and just try to pay the deposit with credit card over the phone (which I did) first while waiting for the letter. I thnk that's how you can guarantee holding a spot.

Btw - don't ever wait too long, be persistent. If you ever feel something not right, keep calling them until its right, but mind your manner even if it takes you to call every 5 min for almost an hour until picked up :p (happened to me)

Hey antapolar, who do you call to pay the deposit by credit card? Do you call up your admissions counselor?

yep just call up your assigned admission counselor. However, she told me that, still have to wait until your acceptance letter is processed first. Then wait for the director of admission to call you to confirm. Then....the money will be processed. I dunno why its this complicated but that's what she said :S

Speaking of deposits...I'm getting ready to give up my acceptance seat. (Hopefully one of you guys can get off the waitlist and take it!)

Does anyone know if those chunky $2,000 deposits are in any way refundable, even partially? I know at some schools you can back some of it if you withdraw early enough...

Good luck to everyone!

Speaking of deposits...I'm getting ready to give up my acceptance seat. (Hopefully one of you guys can get off the waitlist and take it!)

Does anyone know if those chunky $2,000 deposits are in any way refundable, even partially?

I don't have an answer to your question..but just wanted to say thanks for opening up a seat!:thumbup:

Is anyone here on the alternative waiting list (ie pending space open) still waiting for the director of admission's call before they process your deposit?

How long does it usually take her to make that call? Its been over a week since I gave them my info, but still no calls. I don't understand the system at all, why do we HAVE to wait for her call to confirm the situation?

Is anyone here on the alternative waiting list (ie pending space open) still waiting for the director of admission's call before they process your deposit?

How long does it usually take her to make that call? Its been over a week since I gave them my info, but still no calls. I don't understand the system at all, why do we HAVE to wait for her call to confirm the situation?

There probably won't be a call. I called the admissions counselor, and she said they received my cheque in the mail, and didn't say anything about anyone calling me to confirm that they had received it. This was last week, and I think that'll be the end of deposit situation.

did you receive a receipt for the deposit?

I received a call confirming my deposit last week. She went over the accepted pending space so I would be sure to understand what I was getting into and may not have a seat till next year. For a reference I was 11 on the list and I don't know how long it was.

Also for those of you waiting I have elected to defer until next year so my husband can finish his PhD so if you are after me on the list you are one spot closer for this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.