2022-2023 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II on 8/26, complete 8/4

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS secondary, submitted primary early July, 3.7+ GPA, 505 MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received my secondary 9/2. I just took another look today and it seems like I'm able to complete a secondary for Pomona as well even though I haven't gotten an email from them. I guess count this as another secondary?

Also, do y'all just sorta use the same answer for the prompts for both campuses?

Hi!

What do you like about COMP-NW? Do you like Lebanon? Whats the local hospital like (wife is a nurse)? How is cost of living? I know you're pretty early, but do you feel your clinical exposure is good? Is there rock climbing anywhere close lol?

Hi! Sorry it took so long respond!

I know it sounds cliche, but my favorite part is my classmates. The environment is very collaborative and not competitive at all. We all share study materials and help each other out as much as possible. We also do fun stuff outside of class like hiking, camping, sports, and bars.

Lebanon is a pretty small town, but overall I really like it. The local community likes having us here and there are some pretty good coffee shops, bakeries, and bars. It's also pretty close to bigger towns and cities like Corvallis, Albany, and Portland so it's easy to escape for a weekend.

I know there is a small local hospital in Lebanon with an ER that students can rotate at, but I don't know much about it. Our "main" hospital is Samaritan in Corvallis and that place has many different residency programs. A lot of students do research there with residents and sometimes the residents come help with workshops/club events.

Cost of living varies and it depends on how lucky you get. I know a classmate who is renting a 3 bedroom house with a yard and garage for ~1400. Some of my classmates living at the apartments across from school pay ~1400 for a 1 bedroom. I think most expensive places I saw ran ~2000, but those were very nice houses with many bedrooms ideal for people who would want roommates.

The most clinical experience we get this early on through school is just our practice standardized patients. However, some people (myself included) volunteer at free clinics in Lebanon and Albany where you get to see the patient first, get a history, do an exam, and then present to a resident or attending. We are hoping that COVID dying down we can do more community based stuff like health fairs where locals can come get their BP checked and stuff.

Yes, lots of people go to a rock climbing gym in Corvallis, which is about a 20-25 minute drive from school.

Hopefully that is helpful! Let me know if you have further questions or want me to expand on anything!

Reactions: 4 users
Received my secondary 9/2. I just took another look today and it seems like I'm able to complete a secondary for Pomona as well even though I haven't gotten an email from them. I guess count this as another secondary?

Also, do y'all just sorta use the same answer for the prompts for both campuses?
Also in the same situation -- I'm kind of hesitant to submit the Pomona one because technically they didn't send me an official email saying I received a secondary from them.. does anyone else know what's going on with this?

finally a II from my top choice! LM 66. IS. complete 7/27

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
OOS II, complete early September, 3.7+, 505

Anyone else ghosted by them? Or are they super selective in sending out secondaries? I received an email 08/09 that they received my AACOMAS app but no secondary yet.

Anyone else ghosted by them? Or are they super selective in sending out secondaries? I received an email 08/09 that they received my AACOMAS app but no secondary yet.
I got that email 7/21 and have not gotten a secondary yet. Maybe pretty selective :/

I got the AACOMAS email 7/25 and received a secondary 9/2 -- they might just be really slow about sending out secondaries!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should email them! I got the AACOMAS email on 8/23 and secondary email on 8/24 w/ unremarkable stats

I think you should email them! I got the AACOMAS email on 8/23 and secondary email on 8/24 w/ unremarkable stats
Hmm maybe, I wouldnt even know what to say: "wondering what the selction process is for secondary applications?" I have pretty low stats 499, non trad post bacc, cGPA 3.39 sGPA 3.32, thinking the 499 is holding me up.

• Care
Hmm maybe, I wouldnt even know what to say: "wondering what the selction process is for secondary applications?" I have pretty low stats 499, non trad post bacc, cGPA 3.39 sGPA 3.32, thinking the 499 is holding me up.

They do not send out secondaries if you are sub 500. Adcom said this during q and a

Interviewed 9/6 hoping they let us know soon!
My notes from interview day say that the ADCOM met Sep 13 and that the decisions would be forwarded to the dean the following week for approval. But there was the possibility that he would have to travel, so they gave a 4 week estimate.

I just submitted my secondary for COMP, and now I can't access the portal to COMP-NW. Is it one application for both schools???? I had written the "why us" answers differently for each school.
I had the same question--I assume this is correct? I can only fill out essays for the COMP application, not COMP-NW.

did you get secondaries for both? i filled out separate applications for both
Oh good question. Maybe I only got a secondary for one. The secondary website lists both applications, but I can only enter essays for the Pomona location. Perhaps that means I only got a secondary for Pomona--that would certainly explain things! Thank you!

Anyone still not receive a secondary and met the minimum screening requirements?
I hadn't heard back and assumed I'd been ghosted, and got a secondary on Tuesday. They had the audacity to recommend that I complete it in a week to ensure an early interview :mad: Not sure what took them so long!

I hadn't heard back and assumed I'd been ghosted, and got a secondary on Tuesday. They had the audacity to recommend that I complete it in a week to ensure an early interview :mad: Not sure what took them so long!

Oh dear god… how long did you wait once your primary was submitted?

same! is it worth it to submit??

Just got a phone call! I got in!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Got the call last night! Hasn't sunken in yet.

Did you guys receive a complete email after you submitted your secondary?

Interviewed 9/6, got the acceptance call on 9/28! Good luck everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II last night! IS, app wasn't complete until 9/17

II yesterday at 5:19 Pacific Time! I submitted 8/29 and was marked complete 9/8

Just got my secondary today. Is it worth applying at this point? How much do they screen prior to sending secondaries?

Just got my secondary today. Is it worth applying at this point? How much do they screen prior to sending secondaries?

I would submit. especially if the secondary fee is waived for you. Wouldn’t hurt and could help you in the end.

does anyone know the time from interview to status update? I'm awaiting on my post II decision 😰

does anyone know the time from interview to status update? I'm awaiting on my post II decision 😰
They usually respond very quick, 1-2 weeks usually via phone. Respectful of your time. Although there has been increasing interesting/applications over the past few years - may become slower or just more to go through. Best of luck if this is the location you want to go!

Last edited: