Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

Started by JamesLMT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Agreed. I wish every school screened. I highly doubt my writing skills are going to compensate for a too-low GPA/MCAT.
The admissions coordinator came to my university and he said the first thing they do when they screen applicants is review their MCAT/GPA. 🙁 Then they look at your orgo grades.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes because how you do in orgo over any other subject directly reflects on if you can be a good doctor or not.
:bang:

yeah...... lol

The coordinator said it's just one guy on the admissions committee that obsesses over the orgo grade because he teaches chemistry.
 
Hi everyone! I'm applying this cycle and would love to go to Western- Pomona, I'm currently in SoCal and would like to stay here. My stats are science gpa 3.60 and cum gpa of 3.61. And for the MCAT I got a 33S. Are these competitive scores? I'm planning on turning in my primary by the end of the week, just need to get through this writer's block on my personal statement.
 
After much deliberation between Pomona and Lebanon, I have decided to focus my efforts in Pomona. w00t!!!

Good luck everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
got the secondary.

The essay questions are as follows:

While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

Describe your participation in community service activities and state why this experience was important to you.

The problem I have is that it says to keep each answer to 250 characters and below...that's less than a small paragraph. I will be calling them on Thursday (since tomorrow is July 4th) to ask them if this is a typo. Last year the limit was 1 page. Big difference.
 
got the secondary.

The essay questions are as follows:

While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?

Describe your participation in community service activities and state why this experience was important to you.

The problem I have is that it says to keep each answer to 250 characters and below...that's less than a small paragraph. I will be calling them on Thursday (since tomorrow is July 4th) to ask them if this is a typo. Last year the limit was 1 page. Big difference.

Yeah. Seems a bit confusing. At the top of the page it says "please limit your comments to one page". Then it writes in red asking to limit answers to 250 characters or less, which is essentially just two sentences.
 
Last edited:
This may be a dumb question, but do we need to wait for an invite for each of the two campuses? Or was the invite I just got for both CA and OR?

I couldn't see any location/campus differentiation in the email...

edit: whoops...just saw the (choose pomona) in the second screen.
 
Lol "Phone Number (xxxxxx)-(xxxxxxxxxxxx) (xxxxxxxxxx extension)"

What the hell? 6 digit area code.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah. Seems a bit confusing. At the top of the page it says "please limit your comments to one page". Then it writes in red asking to limit answers to 250 characters or less, which is essentially just two sentences.

This 250 CHARACTER thing is really ridiculous! It's barely 3 sentences! I don't want to submit until I CONFIRM this is really what they want. Like the poster above, I will call them on Thursday. I'll report back here with my findings.
 
yea probably havent sent them all out yet. tbh im in no rush. really busy with studying for mcat on july 26th. havent had the time to write any secondaries yet
 
You guys sure they screen for secondary? I didn't even have my MCAT score and pretty low gpa...😕

Also, what's up with the 10 day window? If my app won't even be 'complete' with the score, is there a point in submitting within that time frame? Not that I'll have the time anyway...
 
I just submitted mine earlier this evening too...

I just kept it under a page, at it directed at the top of the webpage and ignored the 250 character. It was def longer than 250 words too...I figure, they'll count it as their mistake and give me the benefit of the doubt.

ps I bet you get one hopefulMD...you have great stats. The 26 isn't low enough to get screened anywhere (DO) and your GPA is great. Unless you have some really low section, I bet you'll get one soon,

Good luck anyone...another good school here!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sooooo, quick question. For the Physician Shadowing section... I'm sure many of us have shadowed more than 4 physicians. So what did you guys do for that section? Only enter 4? Cram more than one physician experience in each box?
 
Sooooo, quick question. For the Physician Shadowing section... I'm sure many of us have shadowed more than 4 physicians. So what did you guys do for that section? Only enter 4? Cram more than one physician experience in each box?

The 4 who would say the best things about me if contacted.
 
Kinda what I was thinking. Im not the best applicant but screening a 3.7/3.96 26 pre-secondary? I wouldnt think i would be THAT bad

You're above average and I'm sure you're fine. I have a 3.2/3.2/33 and wasn't screened.
 
It says "Applications not completed within 10 days will result in delayed processing. "

i think that was said to deter people from turning in their secondaries late. i mean if you think about it, if they don't have your scores, of course that will delay processing.