Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 4/4. accepted today. i live close so mail was probably pretty quick. good luck to those waiting
congrats!!! what were your stats if you don't mind me asking :O

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
not sure. still waiting on 2 schools to get back to me and on the waitlist at 3 other schools so we'll see

Interviewed 4/4 and accepted 4/24... Anyone else newly accepted? Anyone looking for a roommate? I am beyond ecstatic!!!!:love::luck:

hey guys i was considering applying to this school for next year.. did they share the acceptance stats during the interviews? thanks for the help

hey guys i was considering applying to this school for next year.. did they share the acceptance stats during the interviews? thanks for the help

They told us that they received about 5,000 applications and that they gave a bit under 600 interviews this year. Since the application season is still technically open the jury is out on how many are actually offered spots this year but the class size is 220.

According to the interview day guide book, last year they had over 4,300 applications and interviewed 656 (web site says 651), offering admission to 395.
For more numbers stuff you can check their web site:
http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/competitive-10/

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who interviewed in April, what were your stats, and did you submit late? I'm trying to get a feel for why some people get interviewed so very late in the cycle..

interviewed 4/18. they said it would take 2 weeks to make a decision and then a week more to recieve the mailed decision. I called today which is a little more than 2 weeks later and was told the committee met but no decisions had been made and that they would be mailing decisions at the end of the MONTH!!!! I don't know if the lady I talked to mis-spoke or what but I hope it doesn't take 4 more weeks to find out!

Anyone else interview on 4/18 and hear anything from Western?

interviewed 4/18. they said it would take 2 weeks to make a decision and then a week more to receive the mailed decision. I called today which is a little more than 2 weeks later and was told the committee met but no decisions had been made and that they would be mailing decisions at the end of the MONTH!!!! I don't know if the lady I talked to mis-spoke or what but I hope it doesn't take 4 more weeks to find out!

wow that's pretty late into the cycle, I wonder how long after you receive the decision that your down payment would be due if accepted. I know the turn around is much shorter as the cycle closes to an end.

They said we'd hear back after 3 weeks
Which will be next week

End of the month is way too late :/

Who did you speak with?

I spoke to someone in admissions for the DO program I think her name was Tamara. I hope you are right and it will be the end of next week and not the end of the month that we hear!

I would ask to speak to ms Martha Huizar
Will try tomorrow

Applied 2/15 Interviewed 4/4 and accepted 4/26...anyone looking into doing SMSPP?

interviewed 4/18. they said it would take 2 weeks to make a decision and then a week more to recieve the mailed decision. I called today which is a little more than 2 weeks later and was told the committee met but no decisions had been made and that they would be mailing decisions at the end of the MONTH!!!! I don't know if the lady I talked to mis-spoke or what but I hope it doesn't take 4 more weeks to find out!

I interviewed on the same day and called in last Thursday. I think I was told to expect letters in the mail this week.

Has the class been filled yet, I recall they have given deferred acceptances in prior years. Has anyone heard of them being given out this year, or has anyone personally received one here this cycle?

gpa 3.4
mcat 29

I was complete Oct or Nov I think.

Thank you and good luck! I am definitely proof numbers aren't everything :)

Aren't those numbers pretty good? They're not super great, but they still seem pretty good to me. Big congrats!

Received an acceptance letter today, but will be withdrawing. Good luck, everyone!

Thinking back and forth for many months now, I think I'm leaning towards WesternU/COMP due to our family ties and friends living in Orange County, which is a strong support system. CA is where I'd love to live and work as a physician, too.

Had already put down the deposit here, as well as for 2 other schools. Either way, it's obvious that I'll lose a handful of $$$ in this deposits game, but I think it's a money well spent :p (there's no alternative way in my situation to make this hard decision without making a financial sacrifice.)

Recent movement for anyone? It's been pretty quiet here.

Deposit sent!

Does anyone think I'll be at a big disadvantage if I've never taken A&P but don't do the summer school thing?

Deposit sent!

Does anyone think I'll be at a big disadvantage if I've never taken A&P but don't do the summer school thing?

I don't think you can do the ISAC unless you have taken A&P I and II.

Are ISAC and SMSPP the same thing? If so, I've been able to register without previously taking anatomy.

Are ISAC and SMSPP the same thing? If so, I've been able to register without previously taking anatomy.

They are different. This is from a previous year's catalog:

Summer Preparatory Program
This is a non-credit, optional four-week introductory preparatory program for incoming DO students. Students will purchase a workbook and remit a tuition fee of $5400. (See course description for OM 5001 below for additional information.)

Intensive Summer Anatomy Course (ISAC)
This course is sponsored by the Anatomy Department for entering OMS I students. Preference is given to those who have had previous academic coursework and experience in anatomy. See OM 5002 for a course description. Students at COMP-Northwest may participate in the ISAC course, but for academic year 2011-2012 they will complete this course at the WesternU campus in California.

They are different. This is from a previous year's catalog:

Summer Preparatory Program
This is a non-credit, optional four-week introductory preparatory program for incoming DO students. Students will purchase a workbook and remit a tuition fee of $5400. (See course description for OM 5001 below for additional information.)

Intensive Summer Anatomy Course (ISAC)
This course is sponsored by the Anatomy Department for entering OMS I students. Preference is given to those who have had previous academic coursework and experience in anatomy. See OM 5002 for a course description. Students at COMP-Northwest may participate in the ISAC course, but for academic year 2011-2012 they will complete this course at the WesternU campus in California.

Thanks! Is anyone here doing the ISAC program. Does Western notify students who they prefer to take the course?

Deposit sent!

Hi GUH! When was the deposit due for your interview group? Wondering if there may be more movement to come for us alternates.

Last edited:
complete 2/20
interviewed 3/14
alternate list (totally skeptical because last year only 2 alternates made it off?--from booklet during interview)
accepted 5/31 !!!!

IS. 3.85 cum gpa. 30N. Accepted to MD school out of state and Touro-Vallejo but I've been wanting to go to WesternU because of location and isn't it top 1 for competitive stats out of DO schools?

Last edited:
complete 2/20
interviewed 4/13
alternate list (totally skeptical because last year only 2 alternates made it off?--from booklet during interview)
accepted 5/31 !!!!

IS. 3.85 cum gpa. 30N. Accepted to MD school out of state and Touro-Vallejo but I've been wanting to go to WesternU because of location and isn't it top 1 for competitive stats out of DO schools?

Congrats! And no it definitely is not top for competitive stats, nor is it in a good location . Did they call you or did you get accepted by mail? :)

Last edited:
complete 2/20
interviewed 3/14
accepted 5/31 !!!!

Wow. You must've really loved western to choose it over an md school. I don't know if it's number one for stats. Tcom in Texas has similar stats I think. I don't think a school is necessarily the best because the stats are high. Tuition at western is sky high isn't it?

Congrats! And no it definitely is not top for competitive stats, nor is it in a good location . Did they call you or did you get accepted by mail? :)
I got a call, I think it's sort of late in the cycle to still do mail. I wish I got an e-mail though, would have been easier to remember all the random stuff the admissions counselor was saying.

Wow. You must've really loved western to choose it over an md school. I don't know if it's number one for stats. Tcom in Texas has similar stats I think. I don't think a school is necessarily the best because the stats are high. Tuition at western is sky high isn't it?

They recently raised tuition again :scared: the MD school must be cheaper.

I got a call, I think it's sort of late in the cycle to still do mail. I wish I got an e-mail though, would have been easier to remember all the random stuff the admissions counselor was saying.

hahaha that's funny! Congrats again :) :luck: