Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. You must've really loved western to choose it over an md school. I don't know if it's number one for stats. Tcom in Texas has similar stats I think. I don't think a school is necessarily the best because the stats are high. Tuition at western is sky high isn't it?
There were ms-1 students on my interview day that said they choose DO over MD because of location. I don't think the title means much to me since I'm planning to go into primary care--internal medicine--GI. I don't wanna be in school forever for one of those surgery specialties or etc.

I think having the MD "advantage" is for more competitive specialties/subspecialties and those thinking it'll be an ego boost over a DO.

Members don't see this ad.

There were ms-1 students on my interview day that said they choose DO over MD because of location. I don't think the title means much to me since I'm planning to go into primary care--internal medicine--GI. I don't wanna be in school forever for one of those surgery specialties or etc.

I think having the MD "advantage" is for more competitive specialties/subspecialties and those thinking it'll be an ego boost over a DO.

I see. That makes sense I guess. the tuition just seems so inflated there. ><

They recently raised tuition again :scared: the MD school must be cheaper.
The out of state tution for the MD school I got in would have been roughly 65k, so I think it's more expensive than WesternU although I think living expenses in SoCal is more pricey, so it evens out.

Members don't see this ad :)
The out of state tution for the MD school I got in would have been roughly 65k, so I think it's more expensive than WesternU although I think living expenses in SoCal is more pricey, so it evens out.

Oh ok. Yeah guess it would've evened out.

did you ever send updates to western to let them know you're still interested?

did you ever send updates to western to let them know you're still interested?
No, I didn't send anything. I was contemplating on sending a LOI but I think they get so many of those, it wouldn't have mattered. I think the one thing I could have sent that would have really helped my application was a DO LOR since I don't have any DO exposure/experience besides having a family member that's a DO. I think sending things in only mattered if it was a "big thing" so I didn't even update them when I got a job or did random activities lol

Hi GUH! When was the deposit due for your interview group? Wondering if there may be more movement to come for us alternates.
I think my deposit was due on May 21st (interviewed 4/18)

I'm not sure if it's too soon to give up hope, but I just don't see how much movement can possibly happen between now and the start of school. Congrats to all who have gotten in, maybe i'll see you next year! :luck:

I'm not sure if it's too soon to give up hope, but I just don't see how much movement can possibly happen between now and the start of school. Congrats to all who have gotten in, maybe i'll see you next year! :luck:

Don't give up hope! Who knows how many people are on the waitlist. It could just be you and me!

Don't give up hope! Who knows how many people are on the waitlist. It could just be you and me!

That would be great, However I have heard there are quiet a few people on the WL. :(

Last edited:
Did anybody take ISAC last year? Did you guys use the codes for the online tools or was it unnecessary? Trying to see if I can get away with used books with a possibility of not having online codes.

giving up my spot because i got off the WL at the COM i really wanted to go to!!!! don't give up hope if you're on the WL!!! goodluck everyone still waiting!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is everyone living? Would living in Claremont be too far of a commute to school?

I am still waiting for banweb access to look at the housing listing offered but am starting to look around Chino Hills/Montclair/Ontario (I would prefer to be outside of LA County for personal reasons).

Omg, congrats drshark! I know how badly you wanted it. You must be so relieved!!!

I now have exactly 0 reasons to continue checking this thread :laugh: I'm so glad you got in :D

I cannot express how appreciative I am of all your continued support on here :) I am very relieved and so overjoyed! Can't wait to meet you all! Is there a FB page link?

CONGRATULATIONS DUDE!!!! I have been checking this thread for months just to see if you will being going here haha, I am not even going to this school. Have a great time at your dream school!

So orientation begins on 8/5, meaning I can move there in the end of July or in the first week of August.
http://www.westernu.edu/communications-calendar

When do you guys plan to move there?
I am tempted to rent in Helix but worried about parking and safety issue though......
Aside from the rentals in BenWeb, where do you guys find housing?
Thanks!!

So orientation begins on 8/5, meaning I can move there in the end of July or in the first week of August.
http://www.westernu.edu/communications-calendar

When do you guys plan to move there?
I am tempted to rent in Helix but worried about parking and safety issue though......
Aside from the rentals in BenWeb, where do you guys find housing?
Thanks!!

I've heard it's better not to live on campus and that helix is not the place to live. I'd look for apartments in claremont, chino hills, anywhere a few miles from Pomona. I hear College Park has nice apartments. I'll probably be moving the end of July :)

Do the majority of students commute to school?

I've heard it's better not to live on campus and that helix is not the place to live. I'd look for apartments in claremont, chino hills, anywhere a few miles from Pomona. I hear College Park has nice apartments. I'll probably be moving the end of July :)

Just check college park, 1br is around $1450/mo..../_\......

I believe so, not too many want to live in Pomona, the surrounding cities are much more pleasant and safer.

Rented a condo in Rancho Cucamonga, moving in end of July. It's great to be back home in Cali! :horns:

Withdrew today, good luck to those still waiting! Oof at my 2k deposit, hopefully it goes to something productive :p

just declined a spot off the waitlist..good luck and hang in there!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what do you guys think the minimum stats are to get an interview?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what do you guys think the minimum stats are to get an interview?

Thanks

I was deferred from an interview until the very last interview group this cycle.

sGPA 3.4 MCAT 33

I think COMP is very GPA-centric.

I was deferred from an interview until the very last interview group this cycle.

sGPA 3.4 MCAT 33

I think COMP is very GPA-centric.

I don't think that's always the case. My sGPA was 3.35 and MCAT was 30 and I got in.

It's pretty much impossible to say that any specific combination of GPA/MCAT is guaranteed to get you in. I personally believe that they are pretty good at looking at more than just GPA or MCAT.

I don't think that's always the case. My sGPA was 3.35 and MCAT was 30 and I got in.

It's pretty much impossible to say that any specific combination of GPA/MCAT is guaranteed to get you in. I personally believe that they are pretty good at looking at more than just GPA or MCAT.

Pomona or Lebanon campus?

Hi everyone,

Thanks

It's really a case by case basis. Obviously the higher the stats the better the chances.

Thanks for replying..

Just curious, what is considered a high state for Western?

Thanks again