-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013
Started by JamesLMT
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
tax for the sunny beaches of socal
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A current Western University student is on the Price is Right!
That awesome! Hahaha
Hey everyone,
I'm a little worried as I've been released since 6/24 and still haven't received a secondary from Western. 🙁
I didn't think my stats were so poor to be screened, 3.38/3.33/32P -- breakdown: 11 - 8 - 13 (1st try MCAT -- if that even matters)..
However, I do not have the required 6 behavioral sciences credits that they want for prereqs. Do you think that I was screened due to those deficient credits?
Should I even give them a call and ask why I never got a secondary?
Thanks!
I'm a little worried as I've been released since 6/24 and still haven't received a secondary from Western. 🙁
I didn't think my stats were so poor to be screened, 3.38/3.33/32P -- breakdown: 11 - 8 - 13 (1st try MCAT -- if that even matters)..
However, I do not have the required 6 behavioral sciences credits that they want for prereqs. Do you think that I was screened due to those deficient credits?
Should I even give them a call and ask why I never got a secondary?
Thanks!
Last edited:
You shouldn't!.. Don't sell yourself that cheap. Wait until they call you. And then, hang up the phone to their face. They'll definitely call you back.Hey everyone,
I'm a little worried as I've been released since 6/24 and still haven't received a secondary from Western. 🙁
I didn't think my stats were so poor to be screened, 3.38/3.33/32P -- breakdown: 11 - 8 - 13 (1st try MCAT -- if that even matters)..
However, I do not have the required 6 behavioral sciences credits that they want for prereqs. Do you think that I was screened due to those deficient credits?
Should I even give them a call and ask why I never got a secondary?
Thanks!
Hey everyone,
I'm a little worried as I've been released since 6/24 and still haven't received a secondary from Western. 🙁
I didn't think my stats were so poor to be screened, 3.38/3.33/32P -- breakdown: 11 - 8 - 13 (1st try MCAT -- if that even matters)..
However, I do not have the required 6 behavioral sciences credits that they want for prereqs. Do you think that I was screened due to those deficient credits?
Should I even give them a call and ask why I never got a secondary?
Thanks!
I don't think they screen. You might want to give them a call. I have a higher and more balanced MCAT (11-11-11), but a lower GPA (3.2/3.2) and I got a secondary the first day.
Hey everyone,
However, I do not have the required 6 behavioral sciences credits that they want for prereqs. Do you think that I was screened due to those deficient credits?
Should I even give them a call and ask why I never got a secondary?
Thanks!
Don't worry about the class. I was accepted, then found out afterwards that I lacked the 6 behavioral science classes. All I needed to do was take those deficient credits before school started August.
Hey everyone,
I'm a little worried as I've been released since 6/24 and still haven't received a secondary from Western. 🙁
I didn't think my stats were so poor to be screened, 3.38/3.33/32P -- breakdown: 11 - 8 - 13 (1st try MCAT -- if that even matters)..
However, I do not have the required 6 behavioral sciences credits that they want for prereqs. Do you think that I was screened due to those deficient credits?
Should I even give them a call and ask why I never got a secondary?
Thanks!
They do screen. I know people who have already been rejected pre-secondary but I highly doubt you were screened out based on your stats because I received a secondary and have a lower MCAT (28) and similar GPA. You could always call if you're worried that something may have happened. It's the only way you will get a real answer.
They do screen. I know people who have already been rejected pre-secondary but I highly doubt you were screened out based on your stats because I received a secondary and have a lower MCAT (28) and similar GPA. You could always call if you're worried that something may have happened. It's the only way you will get a real answer.
So if you don't get the secondary, do they send you a rejection email or is it just assumed?
What is this screening based on? It doesn't seem like it's neither GPA nor MCAT...
So if you don't get the secondary, do they send you a rejection email or is it just assumed?
What is this screening based on? It doesn't seem like it's neither GPA nor MCAT...
I haven't been able to find how they screen exactly. I have a few friends that are applying to similar schools and one was rejected with a low 20's MCAT and like a 3.2 GPA. They got a flat out rejection letter. I have no idea what screening is based on though I don'tthink they publish it.
Wondering about this 10 day-delay thing... Got the secondary 7/3, and just submitted now 7/19, think that will be an issue? 3.3-3.6, 30+
No idea. I just sent it before the cut off. If they sent secondaries out in waves they may be meeting 10 days after each batch to decide who to extend interviews to and by delayed processing it might mean that you just get reviewed the next time. That's just my guess.
Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice! I will give them a call tomorrow and hopefully receive some positive news. 🙂
don't bother calling they never pick up. they are responsive via email.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
don't bother calling they never pick up. they are responsive via email.
That's true, I've never had luck calling. I should have said email admissions. You can find their contact info on the site.
No idea. I just sent it before the cut off. If they sent secondaries out in waves they may be meeting 10 days after each batch to decide who to extend interviews to and by delayed processing it might mean that you just get reviewed the next time. That's just my guess.
i remember reading in Western's thread for last cycle that one poster did this and had no trouble getting an interview invite.
i remember reading in Western's thread for last cycle that one poster did this and had no trouble getting an interview invite.
Yeah I don't think it will cause any real problems if you're only a few days late. It's still really early in the cycle.
is the character limit 1650 for EACH essay?
Yeupp....Everything has been received by me at this school 😀 Waiting game begins here too....good luck everyone!
You'll get an email eventually. It took them a week to email me saying they got my secondary.does western send out complete e mail or do we just assume we are complete if everything is received by them by checking our status?
Got my DO LOR finally.... I will sending in the LORs shortly.... For details about the epic DO LOR wars see lecom-B thread....
Secondary submitted
You'll get an email eventually. It took them a week to email me saying they got my secondary.
About the same for me
Western secondary received. Yeessss!
+1.. that's what I'm talking about!Western secondary received. Yeessss!
Western secondary received. Yeessss!
My secondary invite came today as well! I'm pretty excited. This is one of my top schools and I was starting to get worried that I hadn't heard anything from them. Good luck guys!
Last edited:
+1western secondary received. Yeessss!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got the email too. I have everything in according to the status page. Does anyone know if they send out 'complete' emails?
How strict is the 1650 characters or less count? I am currently over by 300 characters in the second prompt & the box let me c&p all of it in. I'm just curious if I should edit one more time to cut characters.
How strict is the 1650 characters or less count? I am currently over by 300 characters in the second prompt & the box let me c&p all of it in. I'm just curious if I should edit one more time to cut characters.
I don't know how strict it is but I recommend following instructions. Perhaps put only one space after a period? That is generally accepted formatting.
how long after your app. was released, did you guys receive secondary invites?
About two weeks for me
Thanks. I don't put two spaces after periods anymore so I'll just pare down my response.I don't know how strict it is but I recommend following instructions. Perhaps put only one space after a period? That is generally accepted formatting.
how long after your app. was released, did you guys receive secondary invites?
I just looked and it was 9 days for me 🙂
Hey Everyone,
Michigan Resident here and curious if Western favors students mostly from the west cost. I received my secondary at the beginning of July and was trying to dig up some information to make sure I had a chance.
I have a competitive GPA from undergrad and graduate work, lots of volunteering, good amount of shadowing hours, and tons of patient contact clinical hours from my work in the ER. However, I am awaiting my MCAT score which is released August 14 (wait is torturous) they sent me a 2ndary based on my first MCAT which was not very good...
thoughts??
Michigan Resident here and curious if Western favors students mostly from the west cost. I received my secondary at the beginning of July and was trying to dig up some information to make sure I had a chance.
I have a competitive GPA from undergrad and graduate work, lots of volunteering, good amount of shadowing hours, and tons of patient contact clinical hours from my work in the ER. However, I am awaiting my MCAT score which is released August 14 (wait is torturous) they sent me a 2ndary based on my first MCAT which was not very good...
thoughts??
I'm in the dental college. One of my classmates is from Detroit. Western doesn't give preference geographically, it just seems that way since a large portion of the applicants are from the West Coast, especially California.
They do give a preference, and most of their class is from california over 80%, they don't outright say it on their website, but i've spoken to their staff and they made it obvious there is a preference.
Oh wow really?? so is it not a good idea to submit my secondary without my score? All I am saying is I don't want to waste my money if they favor Cali.. Because I know MSUCOM favors us Michigan residents to
Oh wow really?? so is it not a good idea to submit my secondary without my score? All I am saying is I don't want to waste my money if they favor Cali.. Because I know MSUCOM favors us Michigan residents to
Nah there is no direct preference just the grad majority of people applying are from cali.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to their demographics statistics, 83% of the students were from California for the class of 2015.
Source: http://prospective.westernu.edu/assets/prospective/osteopathic/comp-demographics.pdf
Not sure if this means that there's a bias or that more people from CA apply, but I think I've heard that they tend to prefer people from CA.
Source: http://prospective.westernu.edu/assets/prospective/osteopathic/comp-demographics.pdf
Not sure if this means that there's a bias or that more people from CA apply, but I think I've heard that they tend to prefer people from CA.
Anyone know if they review your app once, or re-review upon receiving new MCAT score?
This one would be hard to find out... Does it matter though?
This one would be hard to find out... Does it matter though?
Yes...😉
AACOMAS just released my app to WesternU today. So, how many days should I wait before receiving the secondary? (That is assuming I passed their preliminary screening)
Anyone know if they review your app once, or re-review upon receiving new MCAT score?
If your app was in and you indicated you were taking one in the future then they should. I called to make sure because on their site my old mcat was listed even though my new one was higher. She told me that it could take a while before they receive the revised app.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 471
- Views
- 145K
- Replies
- 712
- Views
- 236K
- Replies
- 973
- Views
- 212K
- Replies
- 116
- Views
- 31K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K