Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

Started by JamesLMT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just incase anyone else is in my position: Everything is marked as received on the online app system, however I have not received a 'complete' email. It's been about 2 weeks. I called and admissions said I am complete and under review. So I guess it means we don't need the complete email to be under review. This may be common knowledge to some of you but it was new to me lol.
 
So I called last week because they hadn't posted that they received my MCAT scores online. The ladies in the admissions office that I spoke to were so sweet! All of my materials are now posted as received, so I think that makes me complete as of yesterday. Hoping for some Western love! I literally went to school right down the street and I live less than 20 minutes away. Great school, great people, and close to family? What more could I ask for?!
 
So I called last week because they hadn't posted that they received my MCAT scores online. The ladies in the admissions office that I spoke to were so sweet! All of my materials are now posted as received, so I think that makes me complete as of yesterday. Hoping for some Western love! I literally went to school right down the street and I live less than 20 minutes away. Great school, great people, and close to family? What more could I ask for?!

Samesies..😍 :xf:
 
Are you guys getting all these emails about information sessions and preview days?
I hear my phone beep with an email, see it's from Western, and then the first sentence always starts with, "You have been invited to..."
Then I freak out thinking it's an interview invite..... only to realize my emotions were played, yet again... 😏

Sigh...
 
Are you guys getting all these emails about information sessions and preview days?
I hear my phone beep with an email, see it's from Western, and then the first sentence always starts with, "You have been invited to..."
Then I freak out thinking it's an interview invite..... only to realize my emotions were played, yet again... 😏

Sigh...

+1 it's such a tease
 
Are you guys getting all these emails about information sessions and preview days?
I hear my phone beep with an email, see it's from Western, and then the first sentence always starts with, "You have been invited to..."
Then I freak out thinking it's an interview invite..... only to realize my emotions were played, yet again... 😏

Sigh...

Haha this is exactly how I feel
 
So I called last week because they hadn't posted that they received my MCAT scores online. The ladies in the admissions office that I spoke to were so sweet! All of my materials are now posted as received, so I think that makes me complete as of yesterday. Hoping for some Western love! I literally went to school right down the street and I live less than 20 minutes away. Great school, great people, and close to family? What more could I ask for?!

I submitted my secondary and my letter of recs 7/29 through interfolio.
Should I just wait a few more days before calling?
 
I submitted my secondary and my letter of recs 7/29 through interfolio.
Should I just wait a few more days before calling?

I submitted mine before you and called yesterday. they told me that I just need to wait longer before they change my status.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my secondary and my letter of recs 7/29 through interfolio.
Should I just wait a few more days before calling?

The staff at the Lebanon campus told me that it can take up to 10 days to process letters from Interfolio.

Be patient.

Wait.

Calm.

AAAAAAAAAAH! I can't stand it any more!

dsoz
 
You have got to be kidding? What other factors outside of your gpa and mcat do you have going on? Your stats are not that bad for such an early rejection

I got a masters degree, 3.9 gpa there. Submitted in mid July. No do letter but 3 md letters. Shadowing in and out of the country. And I got an email saying "no thanks" from them.

Best
Z
 
I got a masters degree, 3.9 gpa there. Submitted in mid July. No do letter but 3 md letters. Shadowing in and out of the country. And I got an email saying "no thanks" from them.

Best
Z

Sounds pretty close to what my app looks like, stats wise... Uh oh...

Sorry to hear that! I hope you end up somewhere that fits you really well. Good luck!
 
I got a masters degree, 3.9 gpa there. Submitted in mid July. No do letter but 3 md letters. Shadowing in and out of the country. And I got an email saying "no thanks" from them.

Best
Z

they do say on their website that they prefer a DO letter. This is the only reason why I can think why they rejected you so early.
 
they do say on their website that they prefer a DO letter. This is the only reason why I can think why they rejected you so early.

as my health career adviser said, strongly recommended = unspoken requirement
 
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Hopefully everyone lands somewhere. Good luck to everyone
Best
 
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Hopefully everyone lands somewhere. Good luck to everyone
Best

Don't give up. If I were you I would call (or email) the admissions office and ask about the reasons that you were rejected. My experience with the COMP is that the admissions people are really nice and answer all your questions promptly. At the very least they can give you a heads up that there may be something wrong with your application that you don't know about.

Don't go out easy! Fight tooth and nail against a bad decision.

dsoz
 
they do say on their website that they prefer a DO letter. This is the only reason why I can think why they rejected you so early.

as my health career adviser said, strongly recommended = unspoken requirement

I certainly hope this isn't the case. I have 5 letters available to me, all from allopathic physicians with whom I've worked and that know me very well. I don't know any DOs in my area. I saw a DO anesthesiologist in our operating room one day, but that's about it. I certainly didn't want to ask a complete stranger to write me a letter. *sigh*
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a masters degree, 3.9 gpa there. Submitted in mid July. No do letter but 3 md letters. Shadowing in and out of the country. And I got an email saying "no thanks" from them.

Best
Z

Here is what I would do ... Call and ask why you were rejected. First it could be unintended and second they could tell you why. You may have written a bad essay, got a bad lor, marked something incorrectly on your app, the do lor maybe more of a requirement then first thought . Call them
 
they do say on their website that they prefer a DO letter. This is the only reason why I can think why they rejected you so early.

I have talked extensively with one of the professors at the Lebanon campus. He is the leader of a pre-med club that is sponsored by OPSO (Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons of Oregon). He has said that Western is very forgiving about the DO/MD letter. As long as the letter is from a physician that is most important.

That being said, the school does want you to know about what a DO does, and how the philosophy is different from the MD track. How are you going to truly learn about this if you don't shadow a DO?

I don't think it is the LOR that warranted the rejection this early in the cycle.

dsoz
 
rejected. 3.25c 3.2s 26 with DO letter. Tons of ECs with published clinical research, President of Pre-SOMA and ER scribe. My numbers are not great but I had friends get in last year with similar numbers. O-well, Good luck everybody else!!!
 
rejected today 🙁

3.3 3.3 28N

best of luck to everyone.

rejected. 3.25c 3.2s 26 with DO letter. Tons of ECs with published clinical research, President of Pre-SOMA and ER scribe. My numbers are not great but I had friends get in last year with similar numbers. O-well, Good luck everybody else!!!

Sarlack and MADNEMO, I'm really sorry for your unfortunate news. I wish you the best of luck with other schools. Seeing you guys get outright rejected this early, I'm sure, is scaring the crap out of the rest of us with comparable or lower stats. One last thing I want to ask you both is, are you CA residents or OOS?
 
Sarlack and MADNEMO, I'm really sorry for your unfortunate news. I wish you the best of luck with other schools. Seeing you guys get outright rejected this early, I'm sure, is scaring the crap out of the rest of us with comparable or lower stats. One last thing I want to ask you both is, are you CA residents or OOS?

Im a Nevada resident, but last year UNLV had 10ish people get into Western so they seem to take students from here. Ill call Monday and see if they will give me some details. Again Good Luck to the rest of you applying!!! Keep up hope!!!
 
this school's staff seem really slow. its taking them forever just to process my letters. They already have them but still haven't been uploaded.
 
Im a Nevada resident, but last year UNLV had 10ish people get into Western so they seem to take students from here. Ill call Monday and see if they will give me some details. Again Good Luck to the rest of you applying!!! Keep up hope!!!

I'm also a Nevada resident but I haven't heard anything yet.
 
One last thing I want to ask you both is, are you CA residents or OOS?

Western U. is a private school. There are no state funds associated with the school, so there is no preference for IS/OOS. They take money from all without discrimination based on location. It does look like they do have discrimination based on lower GPA.

I am so sorry to hear about the rejections from all you fine folk. I really hope that you can get in to some school this year.

dsoz
 
Can someone please comment on what the word limits are for these secondary prompts? I'm pre-writing as I await verification and MCAT scores. I have the prompts, just no word limit (and searched). Feel free to guide me to a previous post with the limit if I missed it.

Thanks in advance.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Western U. is a private school. There are no state funds associated with the school, so there is no preference for IS/OOS. They take money from all without discrimination based on location. It does look like they do have discrimination based on lower GPA.

I am so sorry to hear about the rejections from all you fine folk. I really hope that you can get in to some school this year.

dsoz

That's not a given by any means.

In the case of Western, 83% of the class of 2015 was IS.