Western University in Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys,

I read this on their website and I was wondering how it works?
"Before taking the North American Pharmacy Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) and the California Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (CPJE), you will complete a total of 1,500 hours of pharmacy work. Six hundred hours are incorporated into the pharmacy curriculum, leaving a total of 900 additional hours you will have to complete to sit for the NAPLEX and CPJE upon graduation. Most students try to distribute the workload evenly over the last three years of the curriculum."

how would i set up the 900 additional hours? will I have time to do that?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by a P1 student that you are expected to complete the remaining 900 hrs over summer. Basically, they expect you to work full time during the summer so you can gain additional experience.

:eek: Got an interview for 3/20 by email today. After i lost all hope for Western, they did this to me :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
You are so lucky. I'm was placed on hold before interviews and haven't heard from them at all. I was alternate listed from last year and I was hoping that I would have a better chance of getting admitted this year.

I'm still waiting on the interview invite. I hope my prayers reach them in time for the last interview.

You are so lucky. I'm was placed on hold before interviews and haven't heard from them at all. I was alternate listed from last year and I was hoping that I would have a better chance of getting admitted this year.

I'm still waiting on the interview invite. I hope my prayers reach them in time for the last interview.

Man, I do hope wish Western continue to sent out invitation email. I called Western and they said invitation occasionally will be sent out 1-3 weeks prior to interview. But since there is 1 more week left, does that mean western will not send out any more interview? hope not :xf:

i know someone got notified tue before the interview for feb. some people may call last minute to cancel..so there's still chance..:D

i know someone got notified tue before the interview for feb. some people may call last minute to cancel..so there's still chance..:D

Well...until the interview is over, I will try to keep everything positive. :cool:

Keep your hope up, guys. Western said that they will continue to send invitations literally up to the day before the interview. If you are wanting to find out earlier than that, I would give them a call. Good luck!! :)

I got an interview invite for the interview on March 20 on Thursday March 11 via email. I had to turn it down because it precisely overlapped with the USC interview I have scheduled that very morning!

The lady at the admissions office did tell me that they were pretty much ready to wrap up interviews and be done with the whole admissions cycle :confused:

I hope someone was able to get that slot :)

It doesn't look good in terms of getting an interview. Good luck to those still pursing Western.

Mentally and physically, I have given up....

I'm going to be going to a 3-year program.....good luck everyone!

Sweet, I just got an interview invite 3/12 via email. I am scheduled for 3/20 at 730 am :D. I was surprised that I received an invitation, especially because I submitted my application pretty much on the last day! GL to everyone, this is my first interview lol.

I got an official mail from Western via snail mail saying that I am on "hold". Is this good or bad? I interviewed last Feb 27th... Two of my friends also interviewed but haven't received their "hold" mail but they weren't accepted either........

I got an official mail from Western via snail mail saying that I am on "hold". Is this good or bad? I interviewed last Feb 27th... Two of my friends also interviewed but haven't received their "hold" mail but they weren't accepted either........

What exactly is the "hold" mean again? I think during the interview, they said there will be several categories that you will be placed in..either rejected, hold, waitlisted, or accepted? I have my interview on the same date as yours but haven't heard anything back from them. I am not sure if my case is better than your or not. I heard some people were put on hold ended up getting in, so maybe urs case is a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet, I just got an interview invite 3/12 via email. I am scheduled for 3/20 at 730 am :D. I was surprised that I received an invitation, especially because I submitted my application pretty much on the last day! GL to everyone, this is my first interview lol.

hey! i have the same interview time as you! i was really surprised i got an invitation also, especially since I'm missing a prereq or two :confused:

anyone interviewed on 2/27 that got an acceptance letter? I interviewed on 2/27 and i am in idaho so hoping to hear this week if they are notifying though mails.

Thanks-

I got an interview offer since Feb 7th for the 2/27 interview but I had to go to Pacific U in Oregon so I changed my interview date to this coming Saturday. Good luck everyone and hope to see you there at Western.

Does anyone know how many spots are left? They accept 120 right?

Does anyone know how many spots are left? They accept 120 right?

I don't know how many spots are left but I know that they'll accept more than 120 students. 120 is what they say on the website but they said they had accepted more than 120 student last year.

interviewed on 2/27 and got a hold mail :( not sure if this is good or bad... i guess w'll have to wait and see.

Here, here! I am in the same boat as you. I haven't heard anything from Western no hold, no interview, no nothing! Luckily I have been accepted to another school, USN, a 3 year program.

Good luck everyone still waiting and agonizing.

It doesn't look good in terms of getting an interview. Good luck to those still pursing Western.

Mentally and physically, I have given up....

I'm going to be going to a 3-year program.....good luck everyone!

Here, here! I am in the same boat as you. I haven't heard anything from Western no hold, no interview, no nothing! Luckily I have been accepted to another school, USN, a 3 year program.

Good luck everyone still waiting and agonizing.

Same here. I've not received anything since my interview was on feb.27. I don't know if this is a better case or receiving a hold is better by letting you know that they might consider you. Because there's some people that received a hold and then they got accepted. Is there anyone that didn't receive anything and then received a acceptance? please let me know. Thank you

what exactly is a hold anyways? so after the interview the school will either accept students or put them on hold? i heard there is an alternative waitlisted or something, anyone in here is on that?

what exactly is a hold anyways? so after the interview the school will either accept students or put them on hold? i heard there is an alternative waitlisted or something, anyone in here is on that?

you have to wait@ the end of march. Good luck ....yes from "hod" to eiter accepted or waitlist. :xf:
good luck to you

you have to wait@ the end of march. Good luck ....yes from "hod" to eiter accepted or waitlist. :xf:
good luck to you

do u know what is the chance that one will get in? have there anyone in here got accepted from a hold?

Basically, hold means your application is on hold. They like you but don't like you enough to grant you an acceptance right away. So after they do their final interview, I think they rank you with the last pool of applicants and send out the invitations for the final remaining seats. Then they keep people on hold until they secured all of their seats (via deposits). Then they send out an email or mail for either reject or waitlist. The waitlist is more than likely ranked.

Basically, hold means your application is on hold. They like you but don't like you enough to grant you an acceptance right away. So after they do their final interview, I think they rank you with the last pool of applicants and send out the invitations for the final remaining seats. Then they keep people on hold until they secured all of their seats (via deposits). Then they send out an email or mail for either reject or waitlist. The waitlist is more than likely ranked.

What abt those people that haven't received anything like myself? My interview was on Feb.27th. Thank you

:xf:
What abt those people that haven't received anything like myself? My interview was on Feb.27th. Thank you

so more likely you will receive a hold leter then...the school like to send out acceptance leter at the same time...hopefully i am totally wrong...don't be discourage though...you can call the school.:xf:

:xf:

so more likely you will receive a hold leter then...the school like to send out acceptance leter at the same time...hopefully i am totally wrong...don't be discourage though...you can call the school.:xf:

Thank you Jonathaneus Ng. I emailed them and they said that I have to wait. Haven't received anything does not mean that I'm not going to be in the class.

Can anyone who has gone to the interview shed a little light on the drug scenario question? One person mentioned which drug would you use A, B, or C and why? Are we expected to know the drugs or does the question give us a brief description as to the drugs effect/pathway and we have to logically approach the situation and choose the right drug? Thanks.

You're given a brief description of the effect of each drug then you're given a description of the patient. My interviewer was really nice he said there's no correct answer they want to see how you answer the question not which drug you choose. Hope this helps.

That does help, thanks. It seems like they just want to see how you would logically approach a situation. They didnt do that last year, I heard that they are trying to increase the difficulty of getting in this year. But, thats to be expected, as every year pharmacy gets more and more competitive....God I hope I get in this year lol.

I just received an interview invitation for this Saturday! I am possibly the last person they are inviting. I have less than 3 days to prepare and I have an inteview on March 18th and 19th so really only a few hours to prepare!

I am so happy because Western is my first choice! :)

Last edited:
You are very lucky! did you get a call or email?

I haven't heard anything from them at all. Maybe no interview for me, so disappointed :(

That does help, thanks. It seems like they just want to see how you would logically approach a situation. They didnt do that last year, I heard that they are trying to increase the difficulty of getting in this year. But, thats to be expected, as every year pharmacy gets more and more competitive....God I hope I get in this year lol.

Yeah they said they're trying something new this year. I don't even think the people who interviewed in december did this.

hi all...do you guys know when the final decision letters are sent? I received a hold in january and just want/need to know my final status! thanks

The Hold letter said they they will tell us after the last interview, late March or early April.

did anyone get rejected right after the interview or everyoine was put on hold if they didnt get in. seems like everyone is getting a hold somehow. if thats the case there is a very tiny chance that one will get in later.

did anyone get rejected right after the interview or everyoine was put on hold if they didnt get in. seems like everyone is getting a hold somehow. if thats the case there is a very tiny chance that one will get in later.

Unfortunately, they dont reject anyone right away. What happens is they put you on hold if they arent interested, and then they reject you and everyone else that was on hold months later. Hold is frustrating because you know you didnt make it in, but you didnt get an official "no" either. The reason I think they do it is just mass insurance. Say, the entire wait list gets obliterated, then they can tap into the holds since they never technically rejected you. However, every now and then someone has a rare success story from a hold, so never give up hope is the take home message I guess.

You are very lucky! did you get a call or email?

They emailed me around noon and the email said to call Danielle back to schedule. She told me 7AM.

Thanks to those that cancelled the invitation at the last minute because apparently that spot went to me. yay! :)

Did you receive a hold also?

They emailed me around noon and the email said to call Danielle back to schedule. She told me 7AM.

Thanks to those that cancelled the invitation at the last minute because apparently that spot went to me. yay! :)

That must have been me! I e-mailed them to cancel my interview today. I really was going to interview, but remembered I decided not to finish one of their pre-reqs. Good Luck! :D

That must have been me! I e-mailed them to cancel my interview today. I really was going to interview, but remembered I decided not to finish one of their pre-reqs. Good Luck! :D

I canceled my interview on Tuesday because I didn't finish one of their pre-req as well. Back in February, I was losing hope on getting an interview from them, so I dropped the class.:( Wish they had contacted me a bit earlier >_<

For those of you who have already interviewed. Will the tour also include a view of the housing that the students live in?

When I interviewed back in December, the tour didn't include the housing.