Western University in Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm anyone here anything from the 27 interviews ?

Members don't see this ad.

After much thought, I'm giving up my spot at Western. That means 1 more open spot for everyone!

The essay question is very broad, it is made so that everyone should be able to form an opinion and write their argument. So don't worry! Just remember to answer the question, write complete sentences and produce a nice generic 5 paragraph essay.

For the interview, just be yourself. Nervousness will come naturally, but try to remain calm and imagine that you are going in to talk to your friends about your reasons for pursing pharmacy. The questions are very simple - after all, the interviewers just want to get to know you!

At the interview, be confident. You've come this far, there is a reason why Western chose you to interview. You are just as good as the person next to you. Don't give up! If this is a profession you're certain about, it will happen. Good luck this Saturday!

First, congratulations on your acceptance! Thanks for your tips on interview. What do you think it's the best way to prepare for the essay question during the interview? how long do we have to write the interview. If you don't mind, would you give me an overview of what you did on your interview, like how long did it take? do they have a short orientation or tour on the interview day? Thanks for sharing!!!

-pinktea

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, it is March 20 which is the last interview, not March 27...so exactly 2 weeks from now. I am so nervous. :scared:

Im going to be declining my interview with Western for the 3/20, so one more spot should be free for interview. Good luck

Im going to be declining my interview with Western for the 3/20, so one more spot should be free for interview. Good luck

did you get accepted already?

No, I recently confirmed my interview invite with western, but I have decided to cancel my interview.

you should tell them that..so they can start emailing other people (like myself)

:(

i got an acceptance via email 3/5 and via snail mail on 3/6. i interviewed back in december and was placed on hold in january. i have to submit my deposit by 3/19, but i am waiting on ucsf. i guess they are starting to take people off the waitlist so for those who are on that, there is hope.

so i guess if u get accepted the school, an email will be sent out first? i remember the school said that the decision process will take around 2 weeks after the interview date, is that true? my interview was on Friday, 02/26, so I guess I should know whether i get accepted or not by this week?

hi everyone! i have been following this forum for a while now and im pretty much in the same boat as many of you. i was interviewed in december and then put on hold in jan. not sure what my chance is but im now worried that if there is a chance and i get a phone call of acceptance, that they might reject me because i did not complete one english class .....does anyone know how strict they are on taking classes in the summer prior to enrollment? or if that is even possible???

hi everyone! i have been following this forum for a while now and im pretty much in the same boat as many of you. i was interviewed in december and then put on hold in jan. not sure what my chance is but im now worried that if there is a chance and i get a phone call of acceptance, that they might reject me because i did not complete one english class .....does anyone know how strict they are on taking classes in the summer prior to enrollment? or if that is even possible???
You should research if it is possible to take the required English class online. I'm not sure whether or not they allow exceptions regarding taking classes the summer before matriculation. You could ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools don't take Science summer classes prior to enrollment.

I don't know about how strict Western is about your English class. Couldn't this question be easily answered by checking their website?

I have a freind who took Ochem 1 and 2 at the same time in the summer before enrolling in USN and they were OK with it. she ended up getting a C in both courses but originally had a 4.0 but obviously the C's didn't matter.

I was going to interview there to see how Western was, but realized that they required me to take some ridiculous Chem lab (only chem majors take that at my school) to fulfill my gchem lab requirement.

So I will decline my interview as well. Good luck, and I hope someone gets my spot. :D

Has anyone received an interview invite for the last session?

I am pretty sure that they do not accept summer class. "All prerequisites must be completed by the end of the spring term prior to matriculation", this is copy directly from the WesternU web. I guess you can try to call them and ask if they can make exception...

Most schools don't take Science summer classes prior to enrollment.

I don't know about how strict Western is about your English class. Couldn't this question be easily answered by checking their website?

I have a freind who took Ochem 1 and 2 at the same time in the summer before enrolling in USN and they were OK with it. she ended up getting a C in both courses but originally had a 4.0 but obviously the C's didn't matter.

It could be answered on the website and i checked to find out that they dont accept classes....i was just hoping that someone would know if there have been exceptions in the past.

did your friend's school accept classes prior to enrollment? or did she just ask to be an exception?

You should research if it is possible to take the required English class online. I'm not sure whether or not they allow exceptions regarding taking classes the summer before matriculation. You could ask them.

yeah...i was checking to see if maybe there are any fast track courses available like in march or april for english....i will keep looking! thanks:)

Hey all, I am pretty new to this thread, but i just got an interview invite to WesternU for March 20th! Those who interviewed already can you shed some light on how the interview was like?

Hey did you get an email invite or phone call.....I guess people were being notified via email a couple days ago....

:laugh: got the acceptance letter today via email..

interview on 2/27...i guess it wasn't a 3 week wait...phew...sure took off lots of pressure..

interview on 2/27...i guess it wasn't a 3 week wait...phew...sure took off lots of pressure..

Congratulations!! May I ask how do you think you did in the interview? How many questions did they ask you? Thank you.

Last edited:
i have a lot of pharmacy working experience and i'm currently getting my MPH, so 90% of the questions revolved around work. interview time was about 10 min

questions;

tell us about yourself
why mph
what would you change about current issues at your job

student asked :
what do you like to do for fun

i have a lot of pharmacy working experience and i'm currently getting my MPH, so 90% of the questions revolved around work. interview time was about 10 min

questions;

tell us about yourself
why mph
what would you change about current issues at your job

student asked :
what do you like to do for fun

My interview time was around 10 min also. I'm still in the waiting zone. Thank you so much for your quick responses. :) have fun in Western!

congrats! im still waiting ...my interview went well...but I'm really worried about the essay part.... i wonder how important the essay is...cant wait anymore!!

do they usually send the whole batch of acceptances at the same time or at different times?
i had my interview on 2/27 also, still waiting

congrats! im still waiting ...my interview went well...but I'm really worried about the essay part.... i wonder how important the essay is...cant wait anymore!!

i wasn't too confident about the essay either. but my friend (who is currently 2nd yr at western) said the essay is really just to know that you are a competent writer.

i'm not sure if they sent out acceptances in batches.

i wasn't too confident about the essay either. but my friend (who is currently 2nd yr at western) said the essay is really just to know that you are a competent writer.

i'm not sure if they sent out acceptances in batches.

they probably did because my friend already got her acceptance letter this morning too..sigh so sad...

also, do you guys know if rejection and waitlisted letters are also sent out within the three weeks period as well?

I got my acceptance letter this morning after interviewing on 2/27. Western takes pride in creating a low-stress atmosphere for its interviewees and I must say that my interview there was by far the least stressful of all my interviews. The pharmacy students chat with you while you wait for your interview and they do a good job of making you feel at home. As long as you relax the night before your interviews, you will do fine. Good luck to all of you who got invites for the 20th!

First, congratulations on your acceptance! Thanks for your tips on interview. What do you think it's the best way to prepare for the essay question during the interview? how long do we have to write the interview. If you don't mind, would you give me an overview of what you did on your interview, like how long did it take? do they have a short orientation or tour on the interview day? Thanks for sharing!!!

-pinktea

Hi Pinktea!

ESSAY. I didn't really do anything to prepare for the essay. All knowledge that you have accumulated thus far should be enough to get you through the writing portion.

The essay question was very broad - everyone should be able to answer it. Western will allow you 50 minutes for the essay (which is plenty of time) as well as provide you pencils and eraser.

My recommendation is to write about something that interests you (and of course, also answers the question) = better support, more interesting = Great essay!

INTERVIEW. The interview was fantastic! I interviewed with a student and the Dean and had a great time! Interview takes approx. 30 minutes.

Things that worked...
1) Being calm
(Nervousness is hard to avoid, but try your best to remain calm and composed)
2) Carrying on a conversation (Show them that you're friendly! - after all, pharmacy is about patient interaction, PLUS no one likes the awkward silence)
3) Demonstrating true passion for pharmacy (Self-explanatory. Go into the interview room and show them how much you want this! If you don't like pharmacy, then why are you here?)

Questions asked...
1) Tell me about your education?
2) Why Western?
3) How would you deal with a difficult student in a group? What if he chooses not to cooperate with you?
4) Scenario on paper - Choose Drug A, B, or C? Explain.
5) MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION ---> Do you have any questions? (Of course you do! Ask questions!)

I think Western will also inform you of the day's breakdown. Orientation is first and tour is last, but this may vary. Just wait for more information from Western, they'll let you know :)!

Remember, be confident, you've come this far! Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
People i have the weirdest scenario for you. I got an acceptance today after being placed on hold. I had interview in December. i am shocked

hey legion, can you please tell me a little bit about your stats. i really appreciate it. Thanks alot.

I interviewed on the 27th... No invite email ... Looks like another hold!

so i guess if we don't receive the acceptance letter by now i'll be a hold? i interviewed on the 27th also.

so i guess if we don't receive the acceptance letter by now i'll be a hold? i interviewed on the 27th also.

I had an interview on the 27th too. I believe that people who did not receive the acceptance letters via email yesterday either get rejected or on hold. Sigh, I hope they send the rejection letter home asap so I can move on and stay more focus in school.

:confused:
I got invited for march 20 interview, it's also the last interview. Is the class fill? Any chance left?

:confused:
I got invited for march 20 interview, it's also the last interview. Is the class fill? Any chance left?

hey, I was wondering, when did you get the invitation? by email/phone?

i don't believe the class is filled. as of feb interview, the dean informed us at the interview that only half of the seats were filled..

so there should be about 1/4 remaining for the last interview.
Also, do keep in mind they accept more than the available seats.

Hey all, I am pretty new to this thread, but i just got an interview invite to WesternU for March 20th! Those who interviewed already can you shed some light on how the interview was like?

I got an invite too!!! Do you have the morning session, 9am too?

I am from Albany, NY so I am not sure what is the best way to get to Pomona. I will be flying into LAX. Tickets are extremely expensive... $480.

See you there!:D

Congratz to everyone with an interview. Hopeully the weather should be nice for your interview (70s).

Rent a car at LAX, and take the 10 freeway east (no tolls on that roadway). Print out the school's directions for the exit to take, and side-street directions. There should be tons of free street parking on Saturday. It's very easy to nagivate the freeway system in LA County.

Goodluck.

I got an invite too!!! Do you have the morning session, 9am too?

I am from Albany, NY so I am not sure what is the best way to get to Pomona. I will be flying into LAX. Tickets are extremely expensive... $480.

See you there!:D

To: Burnoutgirl and Doc hawaii

Yes! Awesome Burnoutgirl. I will be seeing you next week then. I'm sorry about the plane ticket pricing, you could've flown into Ontario Intl. Airport, it is the closest you can get to WesternU. It is also the fastest because you do not have to sift through downtown L.A traffic to get into Pomona,CA. I hope that helps and see you next week!:thumbup:

Last edited:
Did anyone receive a confirmation email for the WesternU interview March 12th?

She said she would send us a confirmation email Wednesday or Thursday but I haven't gotten anything yet.

Last edited:
hey, I was wondering, when did you get the invitation? by email/phone?

Email on Tuesday. Anyone interviewing at 9:30 am?

Such a short notice, ticket is ridiculously high now.:(

Same thing happened to us. Did you get a confirmation email after receiving the interview invite?

Last edited:

I hope there will be more emails/ phone calls to come.