Western University of Health Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those on the alternate list, when should we be hearing soon? I hope this week or next week. I have been waiting since my interview in December. So far I am waitlisted at all the schools I interviewed at and it doesn't look so bright for me. I feel my best interview was at Western and this is my best chance. This is my 3rd year applying and just an acceptance would not only brighten up my day but the whole year.

Members don't see this ad.

on pharmcas it shows that for class 2008, accepted is 92 and class size is 120. Does this mean that 28 alternates will be called and could be more if those who got accepted go to other schools?

so have there been any alternates pulled of the waiting list so far? how much longer do we have to wait?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for a heads up I applied for the second time this year and got into to both WU and SC. What I think might have really help me was working in the Western U's Pharmaceutical research lab as a lab tech.

It was just a part time position for 4 hours a day but I made good contacts. If anyone would like to know more about this please pm me other wise good luck and keep your head up because I know what rejection felt like. :cool:

Last edited:
so have there been any alternates pulled of the waiting list so far? how much longer do we have to wait?

One and a haft month more to wait.
I will start my application again after four weeks if I don't get anything from the school.

on pharmcas it shows that for class 2008, accepted is 92 and class size is 120. Does this mean that 28 alternates will be called and could be more if those who got accepted go to other schools?

I called the school today and the admissions lady said that the class is definitely full. 5 people have already been pulled off the waitlist and there are ~50 ppl on the list, I don't know if this included the 5 that were taken off the list. Also, for your own info last year only 10 ppl got off. Well, I guess my chance of getting in is pretty low. I'm keeping my fingers cross till the very end. G'luck all.

I called the school today and the admissions lady said that the class is definitely full. 5 people have already been pulled off the waitlist and there are ~50 ppl on the list, I don't know if this included the 5 that were taken off the list. Also, for your own info last year only 10 ppl got off. Well, I guess my chance of getting in is pretty low. I'm keeping my fingers cross till the very end. G'luck all.

I thought there were more than 10 ppl got pulled of the waitlist last year.
Correct me if i'm wrong:confused:

I thought there were more than 10 ppl got pulled of the waitlist last year.
Correct me if i'm wrong:confused:

I think so. It's hard to believe that only 10 alternates got in last year. PharmCAS (last year) said: interview ~400, acceptance offered ~200, class size 120.
I am confused too.
Thank blu00 for the information. We know where we are now...

I think so. It's hard to believe that only 10 alternates got in last year. PharmCAS (last year) said: interview ~400, acceptance offered ~200, class size 120.
I am confused too.
Thank blu00 for the information. We know where we are now...

if 200 get offered acceptance and class size is 120, does that mean they anticipated 80 would decline? So if people decline, that doesn't necessarily mean the alternates would have a better chance of getting of the wait list. Anyone see it this way?

if 200 get offered acceptance and class size is 120, does that mean they anticipated 80 would decline? So if people decline, that doesn't necessarily mean the alternates would have a better chance of getting of the wait list. Anyone see it this way?

I don't think so. They didn't originally accept 200, if any. That number should be 120 original plus....80 alternates!!!!:):):(:(
Anyway, I don't trust PharmCAS data any more. It seems unreliable to me now.

Hi guys I'm just posting here to see if anyone is interest.
I have a group of 2 other western students, D.O., and we were looking for 1 more person to live with us. We're planning to looking for housing in the following weeks and were looking for 1 more girl so it would be 2 girls and 2 guys. We're looking around a 5 mile radius from school and rent approximately $450-600. Also I think it would be pretty interesting living with a pharm student.
Thanks!

Hi guys I'm just posting here to see if anyone is interest.
I have a group of 2 other western students, D.O., and we were looking for 1 more person to live with us. We're planning to looking for housing in the following weeks and were looking for 1 more girl so it would be 2 girls and 2 guys. We're looking around a 5 mile radius from school and rent approximately $450-600. Also I think it would be pretty interesting living with a pharm student.
Thanks!

I'll let you know when I get pulled off from the waitlist ;) j/k.
what a great idea you have there. Too bad i'm still waiting for an open spot.

One and a haft month more to wait.
I will start my application again after four weeks if I don't get anything from the school.
Hey guys here are my 2 cents... hopefully all of you will get in this year... BUT JUST IN CASE you don't apply NOW! Don't wait another 4 weeks. The key to this application process (to any school... regardless if they say they are rolling adm or not) is to apply early! Apply now, and if you get pulled off the list this year then even better.

hey guys, does western require LOR's? it doesnt say anything about it in their website but since its through pharmcas, does that mean LOR is already required?

hey guys, does western require LOR's? it doesnt say anything about it in their website but since its through pharmcas, does that mean LOR is already required?

actually they do require LOR's (3 i believe) and besides sending these letters to pharmcas, Western requires that you send 3 letters directly to them as well. I think they have the hard copy of the letter on the website somewhere. unless it changed from last year?

In addition to submitting the PharmCAS application, you have to fill out their supplemental application. Here's the website:

http://westernu.edu/xp/edu/howtoapply/pharmd_application.xml

Download all the necessary paperwork that you have to complete for the application. It includes an application checklist, which does mention that 3 letters of recommendation are required to be submitted to Western.

Good luck. :D

Western is on rolling admissions so make sure you apply early!

If you're a re-applicant, they will review last year's file and compare it to this year's file, so make sure your personal statement doesn't repeat what you wrote last year.

Everything is graded by points...5 points if you have a Bachelor's degree. x # points if you have a pharmacy tech license (something I didn't know at the time I applied). x # points goes towards the quality (not necessarily quantity) of your personal statements, etc.

The admissions staff is super nice so get to know them. I really felt at home at the interview and anytime I spoke with the counselors.

Hi everyone quick question:

I'm applying for this year and it says we need a 5 unit semester course or two 3 unit semester courses in biochem. but under course equivalencies for JC's in san diego (mesa and city cc) it lists a semester course that is 3 units as the only required course.

Did anyone have any problems with this?

Hi everyone quick question:

I'm applying for this year and it says we need a 5 unit semester course or two 3 unit semester courses in biochem. but under course equivalencies for JC's in san diego (mesa and city cc) it lists a semester course that is 3 units as the only required course.

Did anyone have any problems with this?

this is a very specific question. it would probably be better for you to call the school and ask them. don't be afraid to call or email them, they're very helpful.

WesternU's supplimental application is long and somewhat tedious, so give yourself ample time to complete it.

I had the liberty of filling it out last year, and I'm glad I'm not doing it again.

I am trying to find someone interested in this position at Western U. If you live in the SoCal area espeically Pomona then give me a pm and I will tell you more about it.

IMO...This position can make you look a little different when applying to pharmD since you will have something different to say then the generic I work at .... CVS/Riteaid...or etc.

I would still work here but got accepted to USC.

4hrs/day, am or pm (depends on your schedule), 20hrs/week

If you were accepted to Western for Fall 2008, could you please post your stats or PM me? Thank you!

Mike

Last edited: