Western University of Health Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Choylifut,
What school are you going to choose? I know that you get in not only to Western. You are so great..

Thanks Ngyntho, you're too sweet. Western is one of my top choice. I've been to several interviews and Western was by far the most memorable interview experience I've had. I've always been fond of the consistent friendliness of the admissions staff and met several fabulous faculty members on interview day. I gotta check if I've completed all my prereqs. lol!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Is there still a lot of us who attended April 12th but have not yet heard?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone from the on-hold list accepted already or heard anything back

Got my acceptance letter today. But I'm going to decline. 1 more spot for you guys!:laugh:

Congratulation to those who got in. Can you please say what is the first letter of your last name. I want to know if they are going by alphabet.

Thank you:)

Congratulation to those who got in. Can you please say what is the first letter of your last name. I want to know if they are going by alphabet.

Thank you:)

haha I hope they are not going by alphabet.. cuz my last name starts with letter C.. but i wasn't from the april interview (on hold).. my frd who is a pharm student there now told me i should hear something this week.. :rolleyes:

I interviewed in April and got an email today with the good news. But I have made another choice so hopefully that will open up a slot for some of you. Good Luck and don't give up I got rejected by 3 schools last year and only applied to SC and WU this year and got both.:luck:

Thank you for all the updated. They are very helpful. :)

Does anyone know what is the average gpa of students who got accepted to western? Thx.

Does anyone know what is the average gpa of students who got accepted to western? Thx.

if you go to the pharmcas page, and go to the school pages, it'll give you all the basic info for every school that participates in Pharmcas, including Western

Members don't see this ad :)
this post is irrelevant, except that I quit my crappy job today b/c I'll be starting at Western in the Fall. Looking forward to seeing you all in the fall! :) Congrats to everyone!

According to the Western U's website:

The following statistics are for the Entering Class of August 2007:

Total PharmCAS Applications Received 1591
Total Supplemental Applications Received 1318
Total Interviews Conducted 426
Total Offers of Acceptance 217 (to date)
Class Size 120
Average GPA
Overall 3.38
Science 3.27
Ethnicity
African American 2
Asian/Pacific Islander 79
Hispanic 3
Native American 0
White/Non-Hispanic 33
Other/No Answer 3
Female 87 Average Age

Is anyone in waitlist not on hold? what's the difference between waitlist and hold status? which one has the higher chance to get accepted?

this post is irrelevant, except that I quit my crappy job today b/c I'll be starting at Western in the Fall. Looking forward to seeing you all in the fall! :) Congrats to everyone!

lol, Congrats.:D

Congrats to all of you who will be joining class of 2012!!!! My advice is to enjoy your summer as much as possible before school starts--travel, parties, beach! =0)

hey guys, congrats to everyone who got accepted. is there still hope for those who haven't heard from western yet?

if anyone is familiar with this process, please post. i mean, how are they notifying people? is there a specific order? and do they email people to tell them they're waitlisted or rejected?

for those that got accepted, was it a phone call, email, or letter? or a combination of two or all three?

i'm getting worried now since i havent heard anything yet. interviewed in april...

According to the Western U's website:

The following statistics are for the Entering Class of August 2007:

haha, so the reason i told that person where to find the info rather than just giving it to them, is that they'd learn where they can start to do the research on their own, but coolio

lol, Congrats.:D
gracias usted. just got back from celebrating

hey guys, congrats to everyone who got accepted. is there still hope for those who haven't heard from western yet?

if anyone is familiar with this process, please post. i mean, how are they notifying people? is there a specific order? and do they email people to tell them they're waitlisted or rejected?

for those that got accepted, was it a phone call, email, or letter? or a combination of two or all three?

i'm getting worried now since i havent heard anything yet. interviewed in april...

when i was accepted, i first received an email, then got a phone call a day or two later. then i received it in snail mail a week later.

if you're on the waitlist, keep hope. I know one or two people that have gotten accepted a day or two after classes have started. I know it sucks, but there's a glimmer of hope.

Is anyone in waitlist not on hold? what's the difference between waitlist and hold status? which one has the higher chance to get accepted?

I want to know too. Did anyone get anything yet from being "on hold"?

To the P1 students,

How soon can we start our externship? How far is the commute to the externship sites? How much time do you spend studying every night? How much group-work is really involved?

I guess everyone's order of acceptance is slighly different, I was notified the following way...

4/28 -- phone call
4/29 -- email
4/30 -- official letter postmarked
5/1 -- official letter received

For my current class, the first group started the externship at the beginning of Sept; 2nd in Oct, 3rd in November. The school requires you to commute upto 1 hour to your IPPE site; but they usually match you w/ the site very close to your residence.

For the period of my IPPE, i usually study in the weekend since you get pretty worn out after working from 1-6pm. Some students are lucky to have preceptors that let them out early. Mine didn't; so imagine class from 8-12, work 1-6... But I know some students can manage to study once they get home from IPPE. So I guess it totally depends on you. :)

Group work varies w/ courses. Some require almost daily group work; some don't.

If your're one of the accepted, c'ya next year...

-dtl

To the P1 students,

How soon can we start our externship? How far is the commute to the externship sites? How much time do you spend studying every night? How much group-work is really involved?

I guess everyone's order of acceptance is slighly different, I was notified the following way...

4/28 -- phone call
4/29 -- email
4/30 -- official letter postmarked
5/1 -- official letter received

Ditto.

thanks for the quick replies. is it fair to say that if we haven't heard by now, all hope is lost?

thanks for the quick replies. is it fair to say that if we haven't heard by now, all hope is lost?

well you can be put on hold.. by far no one had said they are on hold or reject from the april interview.. not all the hope is lost.. ;)

i think they took 87 people off wait list last yr, even if u're on waitlist, great chance u will make it.

as long as u're not rejected, u're OK IMO.

i think they took 87 people off wait list last yr, even if u're on waitlist, great chance u will make it.

as long as u're not rejected, u're OK IMO.

So, being on the waiting list is better than being on hold!?:laugh:

Hi everyone! I got accepted too! Congratulations to those who got accepted!!! Looking forward to meet everyone in Aug. I am new member on SDN and want to look for housemate(s). Any girls interested, feel free to drop me a message.

Give you all my luck to those who is still waiting. DON'T GIVE UP!!!

So, being on the waiting list is better than being on hold!?:laugh:

Since it's the last interview, i am not sure if they will still do hold status. I was under the impression that "hold" means they want to look at other interviews. I had that happen to me at UOP. I went from being on hold to waitlisted after the last interview.

But yeah i don't think anyone has gotten in from hold status.

Since it's the last interview, i am not sure if they will still do hold status. I was under the impression that "hold" means they want to look at other interviews. I had that happen to me at UOP. I went from being on hold to waitlisted after the last interview.

But yeah i don't think anyone has gotten in from hold status.

That's not true. When I first got my letter from Western a month ago, I was on hold status. I thought my chances of getting into this school was zero just because they have the alternate list. I figured the alternate list was a tier higher than hold, so it was surprising to me to get an acceptance letter. To answer your statement succinctly, I got in from hold status.

so they did accepted students from the on hold status... thats all i and some other people have been trying to figure out..

Hi guys,

congrats to those you got in!

For those who are still waiting, don't lose hope--one of my friends didn't get in until 1 week before school started. Just keep on the look out :)

I think there are two types of hold status. One type of hold status is a list of people who have not been offered an interview, but may be considered for an interview. I know this because I was on hold before interview last year and eventually rejected. I'm not sure if anybody has been taken off from this list.

Another type of hold status is a list of people who have been interviewed, but are not accepted as of yet. These people will be notified sometime after the last interview day of whether they are to be offered an acceptance or are to be placed on alternate status.

The highest tier of the waiting list is alternate status. People who are placed on alternate status have the highest consideration to be given an acceptance if a spot is available.

So, the ranking of the waiting list goes as follows: alternate>hold(interview)>hold(w/o interview)

This is as far as I can understand about Western's waiting list, so correct me if I'm wrong. :thumbup:

Thx, Ativan, that gives those of us on hold the news that they are starting to pull from the holds. It's just a waiting game now. Last year Western was a little slow getting out the wait list notices, so we'll just have to sit on our hands for a few weeks. My guess is that if you haven't heard yet from Western for the latest round of acceptances, you will need to wait a couple of weeks (sigh) while they see if they still have any open seats, then the AdCom will rule on the wait list.

smartypants723, the hold status is a temporary status for Western, it is replaced by Accept, Alternate, Reject status after the last interviews. Last year Western did not have tiers for their alternate status, nor would they give us any idea of how many were on the list (unlike UoP where I am in the middle of their list, which tends to mean, there's still a chance, but it isn't probable). At this point those on hold (like me and several others here) are just waiting in limbo to hear about our final disposition, many will be wait listed (alternate status) like I was last year. If you haven't interviewed this year, it is time to start looking at what you can do to enhance your application for next year.
P-)

Thx, Ativan, that gives those of us on hold the news that they are starting to pull from the holds. It's just a waiting game now. Last year Western was a little slow getting out the wait list notices, so we'll just have to sit on our hands for a few weeks. My guess is that if you haven't heard yet from Western for the latest round of acceptances, you will need to wait a couple of weeks (sigh) while they see if they still have any open seats, then the AdCom will rule on the wait list.

smartypants723, the hold status is a temporary status for Western, it is replaced by Accept, Alternate, Reject status after the last interviews. Last year Western did not have tiers for their alternate status, nor would they give us any idea of how many were on the list (unlike UoP where I am in the middle of their list, which tends to mean, there's still a chance, but it isn't probable). At this point those on hold (like me and several others here) are just waiting in limbo to hear about our final disposition, many will be wait listed (alternate status) like I was last year. If you haven't interviewed this year, it is time to start looking at what you can do to enhance your application for next year.
P-)

Thanks. That sounds much more understandable than my explanation, haha. :thumbup:

sighh..nothing today. I wonder if this is a sign for bad news to come next week??

To everyone waiting to hear,

I called Western today & they told me that everyone will be contacted with final decisions by mid next week.

Stay strong and keep your hopes up :thumbup:

I called Western today & they told me that everyone will be contacted with final decisions by mid next week.

Including rejection and wailing list???

Thanks ScarlettDarke.
I will keep my chin up :thumbup: and my fingers crossed:thumbup:

thx.. i dunno should i look forward to it..

For my current class, the first group started the externship at the beginning of Sept; 2nd in Oct, 3rd in November. The school requires you to commute upto 1 hour to your IPPE site; but they usually match you w/ the site very close to your residence.

For the period of my IPPE, i usually study in the weekend since you get pretty worn out after working from 1-6pm. Some students are lucky to have preceptors that let them out early. Mine didn't; so imagine class from 8-12, work 1-6... But I know some students can manage to study once they get home from IPPE. So I guess it totally depends on you. :)

Group work varies w/ courses. Some require almost daily group work; some don't.

If your're one of the accepted, c'ya next year...

-dtl

Yup this is all true, although many students this year did not like how IPPE was 3x a week (15 hours a week for 4 weeks)--so I've heard they're going to change this for the new P1s. We were the guinea pigs apparently :p

Studying depends on the person--some people I know study night and day and others last minute. If I studied every single day, I think 2 hours/day is fine, although I tend to study last minute so that means 1.5 days of straight studying. Hehe. Class averages for most exams and quizzes are pretty high, around 88-90% so people are pretty on top of things.

Group work is ...lovely... (sarcasm). During orientation week you get placed with about 5-6 others who will be your teammates for the entire year. As DTL mentioned, some classes just require a short assignment that you can easily split up and send in as a group while other classes may require you to do research and presentations. Not a whole lot honestly, although I hear during P2 you are doing group work (clinical cases) almost every day.

Including rejection and wailing list???

hmm, when they said "everything" would be sent out this coming week, I assumed that included rejections and alternates, as well as acceptances (if any). They wouldn't tell me if all accepted people had already been contacted last week, just that everyone will know by middle of this week. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think everyone on hold from previous interviews will also have a final decision where they stand--accepted, rejected, or alternate. So, after this week there will be no more ppl on hold.

Is the grading pass/fail or letter grades? Thanks in advance

Is the grading pass/fail or letter grades? Thanks in advance

It is a letter grade system (A, B, C & U) which is based on straight percentage scale. Only A, B & C grades are considered PASSED. In addtion, you need to maintain the GPA of 2.75.

-dtl

hmm, when they said "everything" would be sent out this coming week, I assumed that included rejections and alternates, as well as acceptances (if any). They wouldn't tell me if all accepted people had already been contacted last week, just that everyone will know by middle of this week. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think everyone on hold from previous interviews will also have a final decision where they stand--accepted, rejected, or alternate. So, after this week there will be no more ppl on hold.
Sounds about right, they will have heard from those that got acceptance letters from the last set of interviews by then and will be able to fill any remaining seats and put the final disposition on the rest about that time.
P-)