WesternU c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw on FB that someone got rejected so I guess they do reject people incase yall were wondering

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! I was an alternate last year so don't lose hope that it won't ever happen. Definitely start Amping up your application again for next year so you aren't caught off guard just in case. The good news is they already accepted you as an applicant you just have to focus on improving your interview. Waiting another year was a blessing in disguise for me to grow up a little more and be 100% ready for this.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I saw on FB that someone got rejected so I guess they do reject people incase yall were wondering
i just did too, I asked her if the rejection was after getting an interview. I'm pretty sure I remember her saying she hadn't heard back for an interview earlier

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! I was an alternate last year so don't lose hope that it won't ever happen. Definitely start Amping up your application again for next year so you aren't caught off guard just in case. The good news is they already accepted you as an applicant you just have to focus on improving your interview. Waiting another year was a blessing in disguise for me to grow up a little more and be 100% ready for this.
Congrats! Thank you for this. I keep telling myself everything happens for a reason. I’ve continued to get experience even after I submitted my application, but I was waiting to get a definite answer before I considered retaking some classes 😅

I’m also looking at Facebook and pretty much everyone is an alternate that has posted. I’m taking that as a good sign for all of us alternates. Unless the same people posting here are the same ones posting on Facebook 😂

• Haha
I was an alternate last year and just got my acceptance! Keep your chins up, the alternate list moved a lot last year but it is a big list.
Does it mean that everyone that got an interview either got accepted or waitlisted? Also how would they pick from the waitlist if we have no ranking =/

Congrats! Thank you for this. I keep telling myself everything happens for a reason. I’ve continued to get experience even after I submitted my application, but I was waiting to get a definite answer before I considered retaking some classes 😅
I know it feels crappy in the moment but its really not the end of the world. During my time reapplying I got to learn more, spend time with friends and family, have no school stress, and start working on mental and physical health so I can be prepared.
The only thing I did to up my application was more experience in different areas(horses for the first time, and volunteering with homeless and my church, and increase my GRE) my GPA is a 2.9! So they accepted me without ever boosting my GPA.

Reactions: 8 users
Does it mean that everyone that got an interview either got accepted or waitlisted? Also how would they pick from the waitlist if we have no ranking =/
They choose off the waitlist depending on those who were accepted but declined their offer. They’ll look for someone on the waitlist that has similar qualities (experience, interests, race, gender, cultural background, etc.) as the person who declined their offer.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m also looking at Facebook and pretty much everyone is an alternate that has posted. I’m taking that as a good sign for all of us alternates. Unless the same people posting here are the same ones posting on Facebook 😂
I was definitely one of those people posting LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
After lurking on past threads they had around 150 people waitlisted. They also interviewed 400 - 500 people

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
OOS Accepted!!!! I can't believe I'm posting on here. Never thought this moment would haopen!

Reactions: 5 users
After lurking on past threads they had around 150 people waitlisted. They also interviewed 400 - 500 people
I don’t know for certain obviously, but I feel like they accepted less applicants to start off with this year because of the over acceptance issue they’ve had the past two years. I think I recall from my interview that they said they usually interview about 400-500. So there might be a lot more than 150 people on the waitlist this time around. Again, I don’t know for sure, but there’s just so many people saying they’re alternates compared to previous years.

I don’t know for certain obviously, but I feel like they accepted less applicants to start off with this year because of the over acceptance issue they’ve had the past two years. I think I recall from my interview that they said they usually interview about 400-500. So there might be a lot more than 150 people on the waitlist this time around. Again, I don’t know for sure, but there’s just so many people saying they’re alternates compared to previous years.
They definitely accepted at least the full seat amount though, right? I can’t see them not accepting 100 people off the bat. Idk

They definitely accepted at least the full seat amount though, right? I can’t see them not accepting 100 people off the bat. Idk
I genuinely do not know I’m just speculating lol. They probably did at least accept 105, just maybe not 200 like they usually do.

Is anyone declining their spot as an alternate?
Yes, I will be declining my alternate spot as well. I already have three other acceptances to choose from!

Congrats to those that got in and best of luck to the rest of you on the alternate list!

I declined my alternate spot! I am already on three other waitlists and have one acceptance and know I would rather attend one of the three others over Western if I were offered acceptance. I hope my decision gives one of you a better chance!

Reactions: 6 users
I declined my alternate spot! I am already on three other waitlists and have one acceptance and know I would rather attend one of the three others over Western if I were offered acceptance. I hope my decision gives one of you a better chance!
Thank you, we really appreciate you doing that 💕
Happy to hear you have at least one acceptance!

• Love
I feel like they waitlisted everyone and their mother this time around lol
I was also thinking about that, it most definitely seems like theres more than 150 people placed on the waitlist.

Also, I still haven't received the official email from them that my portal had a status update but I've received all of the other emails lol

OOS acceptance, I really bombed my interview so thisnis a nice surprise...! Im placed on waitlist on my top choices and pretty high on the waitlist but I will have to accept my seat (dang 500 dollars) and later decline if I get pulled out of the waitlist of other schools.

OOS acceptance, I really bombed my interview so thisnis a nice surprise...! Im placed on waitlist on my top choices and pretty high on the waitlist but I will have to accept my seat (dang 500 dollars) and later decline if I get pulled out of the waitlist of other schools.
Congrats!!

Why do you think you bombed your interview?

IS acceptance but I will be declining my seat. Good luck on everybody on waitlist :)

IS acceptance but will be declining my spot since I committed to oregon state! good luck to all those on the alternate list (:)

IS accepted! I was alternate last year! still debating if I want to accept my seat or not since I also got into Midwestern in Arizona

Reactions: 5 users
For those of us on the alternate list, keep us updated if you get pulled off! Hopefully they start pulling sooner than later

Can someone post here the Facebook page. Thanks!

Can someone post here the Facebook page. Thanks!
I don't think anyone has made like an official page yet, I've seen people posting on APVMA page.

Do they just put everyone they interviewed as alternate? (Those who weren't accepted)

Do they just put everyone they interviewed as alternate? (Those who weren't accepted)
I’ve seen in the past that they’ve actually rejected some people after interview. I think most people do either get accepted or put on the alternate list tho

It really seems like they placed everyone that wasn't accepted on the alternate list, which really sucks because I'd rather just be rejected if there was no chance of me getting in at all so that I can move forward with life lol

Reactions: 6 users
It really seems like they placed everyone that wasn't accepted on the alternate list, which really sucks because I'd rather just be rejected if there was no chance of me getting in at all so that I can move forward with life lol
literally same.

I feel ya. Part of me wants to treat it like a rejection and just continue to improve my application for next round, but the other part is holding onto the sliver of hope that I might get pulled off the waitlist. Doesn’t help that some years they’ve pulled a lot of applicants off the waitlist while other years they barely touched it.

I really feel like if you're placed as an alternate, you have a good chance! With every school, wait-list move quite a bit and it changes everyday.

This is what I heard when I was placed as an alternate: "we liked you, we interviewed you, it's just that we don't have that many spots to place everyone. Plus we don't want scandals like the previous years and we want to do better while we wait for other people to make a decision. I know it's difficult waiting but if we didn't like you, you would have either not heard from us or just got a flat out rejection (also remember, most people don't post their rejections because its devastating or embarrassing.) Good things come to those who wait. You always end up where you need to be, not where you want to be."

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I really feel like if you're placed as an alternate, you have a good chance! With every school, wait-list move quite a bit and it changes everyday.

This is what I heard when I was placed as an alternate: "we liked you, we interviewed you, it's just that we don't have that many spots to place everyone. Plus we don't want scandals like the previous years and we want to do better while we wait for other people to make a decision. I know it's difficult waiting but if we didn't like you, you would have either not heard from us or just got a flat out rejection (also remember, most people don't post their rejections because its devastating or embarrassing.) Good things come to those who wait. You always end up where you need to be, not where you want to be."
This is what I keep telling myself! The waiting process sucks, but I’d rather wait and keep that tiny sliver of hope I still have

This is what I keep telling myself! The waiting process sucks, but I’d rather wait and keep that tiny sliver of hope I still have
Yeah for sure... I feel you on this one... I’m glad we have this page to help each other just get through this waiting process!!

Out of curiosity, did one of the staff members from Western tell you that recently?

What makes it harder is how I don't have any other schools to fall back on as I'm not waitlisted anywhere else and I wasn't accepted into any of the other programs that I applied to. I've done 3 files reviews so far, so I know exactly what I need to do to improve my application but I'm just not looking forward to going through this emotionally exhausting process again lol

Yeah for sure... I feel you on this one... I’m glad we have this page to help each other just get through this waiting process!!
I 100% agree. Being able to see that soooo many others are in the same boat as I am has helped me feel a lot better about my rejections, being waitlisted, etc. I told my friend that I was using this site and she immediately told me not to use it because it's just gonna make me feel worse. But in reality it makes me feel 100 times better seeing that others are in the same situation that I am in.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Out of curiosity, did one of the staff members from Western tell you that recently?

What makes it harder is how I don't have any other schools to fall back on as I'm not waitlisted anywhere else and I wasn't accepted into any of the other programs that I applied to. I've done 3 files reviews so far, so I know exactly what I need to do to improve my application but I'm just not looking forward to going through this emotionally exhausting process again lol
No, I'm in the same boat, no one said anything after the interview (mine was back in January). This is my second time applying and I know I really screwed up the first time around but I am glad I didn't get into vet school last year tbh, mainly because of covid. But also, I used this past year to find what I really loved doing and ended up working at a wildlife rehab clinic and at an emergency hospital which was both amazing and I wouldn't trade it even for an acceptance into a vet school. Your twenties (if you are in this range) is a time where you can make mistakes and take major life risks with few consequences, it's important to also find other joys in life because life isn't all about working, even if it is your dream job. I understand that applying again is tedious but I kept telling myself that if I can't even get through the application process and put together a portfolio that represents me, then I don't even deserve to go to vet school and take care of other animals if I can't even do that for myself.

I also told myself not to use sdn for the same reason and all the FOMO of people being accepted into schools but I'm glad I did!

Congrats!!

Why do you think you bombed your interview?
I literally did not really understand some questions and ended up having them re-word it multiple times and even made them "well uh I guess I could ask you some other quetions" and also for the questions I answered one of the interviewer said "well what I was asking was..." 🥲. I have low GPA (3.2) but good experiences and LOR so I guess this round they really looked through the applications thoroughly and hollistically.

also I am for sure that there are HIGH chances for the alternates as they must have put extra effort to rather not "overaccept". I have a feeling if there are this many alternates they they would go far down the alternate list by the beginning of the class

• Haha
I literally did not really understand some questions and ended up having them re-word it multiple times and even made them "well uh I guess I could ask you some other quetions" and also for the questions I answered one of the interviewer said "well what I was asking was..." 🥲. I have low GPA (3.2) but good experiences and LOR so I guess this round they really looked through the applications thoroughly and hollistically.

also I am for sure that there are HIGH chances for the alternates as they must have put extra effort to rather not "overaccept". I have a feeling if there are this many alternates they they would go far down the alternate list by the beginning of the class
Yeah that's what it definitely seems like this year. I've seen a few people on facebook say that they're declining they're offer already, so we should hear of a few alternates getting offered a spot!

In my interview I literally said, " I may not look the best on paper but... *list my qualities* " and then thought about it afterwards and cringed at myself for saying that. Especially since it was closed filed lolol