This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgcali02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Current student, feel free to PM/AMA

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your schedule like? How many students in your class? Does Western have linkage this year?
Depends. Your first two weeks are "pre-ISAC" (I'll get to ISAC in a sec). First 2 days of that are bone boot camp, 8-5 nothing but bones. For the next week and a half you're in the class 8-12, then lunch, then 1-4/5 ish you're in the anatomy lab.
Then comes ISAC, intensive summer anatomy course. This is a med school course taken with the med students. It's tough as hell. Class 10-12, anatomy lab 1-4. incredibly fast paced, but to my understanding this is the last year the med students will do it so what future MSMS'ers will do is up in the air.
ISAC is 6 weeks and then you get a week off.
Then the main school year starts, starting in August you take what I'm calling "research design" Monday's and Wednesdays 10-12, molecular biology MWF 1-4. Friday mornings we usually but not always have some BS course in the morning on how to learn..... it's a waste of time.
At this point Tuesdays and Thursdays do not have class and are devoted to research.
Currently research design and molecular biology is over, so now mornings are biochemistry starting at 9 for 3 hours with optional head and neck anatomy in the afternoon 1-4 (But required for dental students). I am not taking it so i have that time free.
We started out with 29 students but one took a leave of absence for personal reasons.
Linkage isn't *technically* guaranteed but low-key get above a 3.1 and don't piss off the faculty you'll get in. Last year every single pre-DO in the program was accepted to WesternU, all but one attended bc she got an offer for somewhere else at the last minute.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Depends. Your first two weeks are "pre-ISAC" (I'll get to ISAC in a sec). First 2 days of that are bone boot camp, 8-5 nothing but bones. For the next week and a half you're in the class 8-12, then lunch, then 1-4/5 ish you're in the anatomy lab.
Then comes ISAC, intensive summer anatomy course. This is a med school course taken with the med students. It's tough as hell. Class 10-12, anatomy lab 1-4. incredibly fast paced, but to my understanding this is the last year the med students will do it so what future MSMS'ers will do is up in the air.
Then the main school year starts, starting in August you take what I'm calling "research design" Monday's and Wednesdays 10-12, molecular biology MWF 1-4. Friday mornings we usually but not always have some BS course in the morning on how to learn..... it's a waste of time.
At this point Tuesdays and Thursdays do not have class and are devoted to research.
Currently research design and molecular biology is over, so now mornings are biochemistry starting at 9 for 3 hours with optional head and neck anatomy in the afternoon 1-4 (But required for dental students). I am not taking it so i have that time free.
We started out with 29 students but one took a leave of absence for personal reasons.
Linkage isn't *technically* guaranteed but low-key get above a 3.1 and don't piss off the faculty you'll get in. Last year every single pre-DO in the program was accepted to WesternU, all but one attended bc she got an offer for somewhere else at the last minute.
How does the linkage work?

Reactions: 1 user
You'll need to have a certain minimum MCAT score (unsure of what that is) so if its too low you'll have to retake it during the course. gpa must be at least a 3.1 when you finish the program. And make sure the faculty likes you.
This is constantly described as a year-long interview. They own your @$$ and they know it. That's why we have a dress code. You could in theory have well above a 3.1 and could still be denied if the faculty doesn't like you for whatever reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Any idea if you can apply with a GRE score if I plan on taking the MCAT the summer prior to matriculation?

Any idea if you can apply with a GRE score if I plan on taking the MCAT the summer prior to matriculation?
Excellent question, unfortunately I don’t know. I would recommend emailing. If I had to guess no, but definitely check.

Thank you for sharing your experience so far. Western's website talks about all of the different fields of research that are offered, but the specifics are lacking. How is the process to getting into a research lab and were you able to have your pick?

Thank you for sharing your experience so far. Western's website talks about all of the different fields of research that are offered, but the specifics are lacking. How is the process to getting into a research lab and were you able to have your pick?

Towards the beginning of the fall semester all of the faculty members doing research will basically give quick presentations on what their research is. You are then encouraged to meet with anyone you would potentially want to work with over the next couple of days, then all of the students submit their top three choices for who they want to work with. It’s basically like the match process for residency. If you do not want to work in a lab there is also the option of doing a literature review, which is basically pouring through the relevant research on any given topic of your choosing. Beginning when you take molecular biology Tuesdays and Thursdays will not have class because they are supposed to be exclusively devoted to research. If you were doing a literature review you can do that anytime. In other words you are not obligated to be anywhere on Tuesdays and Thursdays.In Theory you ar only supposed to do research on Tuesdays and Thursdays but often some faculty will require you to be present on other days, which they are technically not supposed to do. When speaking with a potential faculty member to do research with, it’s best to clarify in black-and-white terms that you will only be expected to come in on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Towards the beginning of the fall semester all of the faculty members doing research will basically give quick presentations on what their research is. You are then encouraged to meet with anyone you would potentially want to work with over the next couple of days, then all of the students submit their top three choices for who they want to work with. It’s basically like the match process for residency. If you do not want to work in a lab there is also the option of doing a literature review, which is basically pouring through the relevant research on any given topic of your choosing. Beginning when you take molecular biology Tuesdays and Thursdays will not have class because they are supposed to be exclusively devoted to research. If you were doing a literature review you can do that anytime. In other words you are not obligated to be anywhere on Tuesdays and Thursdays.In Theory you ar only supposed to do research on Tuesdays and Thursdays but often some faculty will require you to be present on other days, which they are technically not supposed to do. When speaking with a potential faculty member to do research with, it’s best to clarify in black-and-white terms that you will only be expected to come in on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

This sounds great, thank you for clarifying! I really enjoyed research during my undergrad so I will probably go that route if I am accepted to the program. I will definitely be upfront with my time commitment, I wouldn't want to fall behind with my classwork/studying. How is the camaraderie between MSMS students? Are you all close and study, eat, go out together? Do any of the students share apartments/housing?

This sounds great, thank you for clarifying! I really enjoyed research during my undergrad so I will probably go that route if I am accepted to the program. I will definitely be upfront with my time commitment, I wouldn't want to fall behind with my classwork/studying. How is the camaraderie between MSMS students? Are you all close and study, eat, go out together? Do any of the students share apartments/housing?

Since most students are from the area, the majority of students just live with their folks or already have established housing by themselves. There are a few students from out of state who rent an apartment or what not, but no one lives together. There have been a few internal cliques that have developed, while some simply keep to themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since most students are from the area, the majority of students just live with their folks or already have established housing by themselves. There are a few students from out of state who rent an apartment or what not, but no one lives together. There have been a few internal cliques that have developed, while some simply keep to themselves.

Yeah that makes sense, I will probably just commute if I get in and I'll probably search out the other pre-DO's to make sure we are on track together. Thank you again for your input, if I think of some more questions i'll be sure to ask you!

Yeah that makes sense, I will probably just commute if I get in and I'll probably search out the other pre-DO's to make sure we are on track together. Thank you again for your input, if I think of some more questions i'll be sure to ask you!

Please don’t hesitate, you and anyone else on here are more than welcome.

Is there a preference for how long the personal statement should be? It doesn't specify on the website.

Also, any tips for getting into the program? Thanks guys!

Is there a preference for how long the personal statement should be? It doesn't specify on the website.

Also, any tips for getting into the program? Thanks guys!

Same rule as med schools, keep it to one page. As far as getting in, I think they like to see a lot of service in your app. IMO I think they put the most weight on how they feel about you in the interview.

Same rule as med schools, keep it to one page. As far as getting in, I think they like to see a lot of service in your app. IMO I think they put the most weight on how they feel about you in the interview.

On the website, it states to "include a statement which includes your career plans and your interest in applying to the MSMS program." Should we answer that pretty directly or try to create a unique personal statement that is typically seen in a Medical School PS (using anecodotes, possibly starting out with a story, etc.).

I don't mean to barrage you with all these questions, so is it preferable that I call Marcos or the admissions director regarding my knitty gritty questions? Thank you!

On the website, it states to "include a statement which includes your career plans and your interest in applying to the MSMS program." Should we answer that pretty directly or try to create a unique personal statement that is typically seen in a Medical School PS (using anecodotes, possibly starting out with a story, etc.).

I don't mean to barrage you with all these questions, so is it preferable that I call Marcos or the admissions director regarding my knitty gritty questions? Thank you!

Well of course you can ask Marcos, but come on he’s gonna be diplomatic.
The way I wrote it was basically like if I was writing for med school (but obviously I was referring to this program instead of med school) and included a paragraph at the end describing why this program specifically.

From everything I have read, including your explanation of the program, it sounds like the ISAC may be one of the more difficult portions of the program. Would you recommend people like myself take an anatomy course or any other steps to prepare for it? The last anatomy course I have taken was nearly 6 years ago.

From everything I have read, including your explanation of the program, it sounds like the ISAC may be one of the more difficult portions of the program. Would you recommend people like myself take an anatomy course or any other steps to prepare for it? The last anatomy course I have taken was nearly 6 years ago.

Absolutely yes. But again, it appears ISAC will not be happening at Western in the future as they are removing it from the COMP curriculum. I’ll try to reconfirm this.

Absolutely yes. But again, it appears ISAC will not be happening at Western in the future as they are removing it from the COMP curriculum. I’ll try to reconfirm this.

Oh sorry I missed that in your previous post. Yeah if you find out please let us know. I appreciate the feedback!

MSMS Alumni currently 1st year DO at WesternU COMP. Feel free to ask me anything here or PM.

MSMS Alumni currently 1st year DO at WesternU COMP. Feel free to ask me anything here or PM.
I see there is a grade replacement form for the MSMS application. Did you or anyone you know utilize this form when applying to the program?

Western states that there is 12 hours of clinical shadowing in the MSMS program, are they referring to DO shadowing opportunities or something different?

Western states that there is 12 hours of clinical shadowing in the MSMS program, are they referring to DO shadowing opportunities or something different?
Yes, most students shadow several home visits wherein in a team of WesternU students (including students from the med school, the PA school, podiatry school, and nursing school) go to group homes and provide care under supervision of a DO. You are also free to set up your own, but most just do this.

I see there is a grade replacement form for the MSMS application. Did you or anyone you know utilize this form when applying to the program?
Given that AACOMAS has done away with grade replacement I would call and confirm (or better yet, email and GET IT IN WRITING) that they will still be doing this. I wouldn't be surprised if they left that there by accident; it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for this program).

I did not. As previously mentioned this is an administration question and all questions like these are best answered by them.

Can you still apply to this program if you already have a master's degree? I'm interested in applying due to the linkage since I would really like to stay in SoCal for med school.

Can you still apply to this program if you already have a master's degree? I'm interested in applying due to the linkage since I would really like to stay in SoCal for med school.

Check to make sure but I can’t imagine why not.

Once you complete the program and assuming you get accepted to the DO program, is there a gap year, or do you get accepted into the medical school immediatly?

Once you complete the program and assuming you get accepted to the DO program, is there a gap year, or do you get accepted into the medical school immediatly?

Immediately, no gap year.

Has anyone submitted their letters of rec yet? I asked if they were able to take my letters from interfolio because that's where I store them and the lady responded by telling me that they only accept them electronically and to refer to their website for more info. But their website doesn't tell me anything about how to upload from interfolio or if I even can :-/

Has anyone submitted their letters of rec yet? I asked if they were able to take my letters from interfolio because that's where I store them and the lady responded by telling me that they only accept them electronically and to refer to their website for more info. But their website doesn't tell me anything about how to upload from interfolio or if I even can :-/
It seems that the entire application format is a little bit different this year. Last year when I sent in my LOR through interfolio, I had it directed towards Western University MSMS Program ([email protected]) with the Subject of LOR for ____. This year they have the personalized electronic recommendation from the apply.westernu.edu application. My suggestion would be to send your LOR through interfolio (since it's already there), contact WesternU EDS to confirm they've received and can attach it to your file.

It seems that the entire application format is a little bit different this year. Last year when I sent in my LOR through interfolio, I had it directed towards Western University MSMS Program ([email protected]) with the Subject of LOR for ____. This year they have the personalized electronic recommendation from the apply.westernu.edu application. My suggestion would be to send your LOR through interfolio (since it's already there), contact WesternU EDS to confirm they've received and can attach it to your file.

Agreed, it would be pretty much unheard of for a program like this to not accept interfolio.

You can upload letter of recs electronically through interfolio! If you go on the deliveries option on Interfolio; it'll ask you if you want to deliver it via mail or electronic upload. It should give you the directions on how to upload. (Basically they tell you to enter the interfolio email instead of your letter writer's email). I uploaded using that and it seems to work!

I am currently in a MS program (thesis-based). @latinclubimperatus do you know if the MSMS program accepts students that already hold a MS? I did terrible in UG (cGPA 2.6; sGPA 2.7) but have killed it in my grad program (GPA = 4.0). I took the MCAT last October and got a 507. I am trying to get an idea if going a SMP/post-bacc route is needed because I am in a thesis-based masters.

What does the Adcom look at besides stats? Do they take volunteer/clinical experience into consideration?

I am currently in a MS program (thesis-based). @latinclubimperatus do you know if the MSMS program accepts students that already hold a MS? I did terrible in UG (cGPA 2.6; sGPA 2.7) but have killed it in my grad program (GPA = 4.0). I took the MCAT last October and got a 507. I am trying to get an idea if going a SMP/post-bacc route is needed because I am in a thesis-based masters.

What does the Adcom look at besides stats? Do they take volunteer/clinical experience into consideration?

Yes, they take all of these things into account. I haven’t heard of anyone entering with a masters but I doubt it would disqualify you. Your mcat will help tremendously.

So I applied to dental school this cycle as well, do I still need to send transcripts? And for the LOR's can I use the same ones that I used from dental school or do I have to get 3 new ones?

So I applied to dental school this cycle as well, do I still need to send transcripts? And for the LOR's can I use the same ones that I used from dental school or do I have to get 3 new ones?

They might be able to send over transcripts, just email and ask. Letters should be fine.

According to the application checklist, you will not be able to use those same letters from dental school.

prospective.westernu.edu/assets/prospective/medical-sciences/msms-application-checklist.pdf

"Letters of recommendation are not transferrable between programs. The MSMS program requires a separate set of letters."

When would you apply to the DO school if youre starting the MSMS program in May 2018?

When would you apply to the DO school if youre starting the MSMS program in May 2018?
With western they are waiting on your grades and will tag your application when you submit therefore it is the hard deadline ~Late jan, early feb.

In regards to the other schools, I do not know the exact details but you'll be workign with the director so he can send a letter of explanation of the program. Would be a great question to email them.

With western they are waiting on your grades and will tag your application when you submit therefore it is the hard deadline ~Late jan, early feb.

In regards to the other schools, I do not know the exact details but you'll be workign with the director so he can send a letter of explanation of the program. Would be a great question to email them.

You can apply to other schools at any time during the program. Same rules as usual still apply (the earlier the better).

Has anyone submitted their applications and have the interviews started yet??

Has anyone submitted their applications and have the interviews started yet??

Good lord slow your roll son, interviews don’t start until next year.

Hi! Also a current MSMS student here. :)

You definitely have to send a separate set of transcripts for the MSMS program, but you might be able to get away with using the same LOR's (you'd still have to send them to the MSMS program again though). It would depend on the content of the letters. My letter writers wrote their character/academic references in the scope of why I would be a good health professional. They didn't address any specific professional schools.

Given that AACOMAS has done away with grade replacement I would call and confirm (or better yet, email and GET IT IN WRITING) that they will still be doing this. I wouldn't be surprised if they left that there by accident; it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for this program).

I have letters on interfolio in two versions from each letter writer--one that uses "special masters program" and another that uses "postbac program". Do you think the "special masters" letter should be ok or would you suggest I recontact my letter writers and ask them to upload a "masters" version?...