This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have letters on interfolio in two versions from each letter writer--one that uses "special masters program" and another that uses "postbac program". Do you think the "special masters" letter should be ok or would you suggest I recontact my letter writers and ask them to upload a "masters" version?...

Special masters is probably fine, but email Marcos Villa to confirm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi to current MSMS students. I am barely hitting the min gpa cut off (very low undergrad gpa, mediocre MCAT), did a masters (3.8) and a post bacc for a year (3.9), worked, volunteered, research, etc. I was wondering if I had a decent shot? It seems like this program is very competitive and I was wondering if there is anything else I could do to improve my app while I wait

Hi to current MSMS students. I am barely hitting the min gpa cut off (very low undergrad gpa, mediocre MCAT), did a masters (3.8) and a post bacc for a year (3.9), worked, volunteered, research, etc. I was wondering if I had a decent shot? It seems like this program is very competitive and I was wondering if there is anything else I could do to improve my app while I wait
You've done a lot already, most people would just apply to med school at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Special masters is probably fine, but email Marcos Villa to confirm.

I emailed "Julie Smith" who is the listed admissions counselor and she told me my letters of rec not only have to be for a masters program but that they specifically have to mention the Western U MSMS program and be no more than 6 months old.......

Reactions: 1 users
Save your money and retake the Mcat.

I emailed "Julie Smith" who is the listed admissions counselor and she told me my letters of rec not only have to be for a masters program but that they specifically have to mention the Western U MSMS program and be no more than 6 months old.......

Yikes! When in doubt, confirm in writing.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Thanks for your help! I actually applied to DO schools and no love, my undergrad gpa was so low that after grade replacement was gone i couldn't get above the thresholds they wanted unfortunately.

Julie said this to me via email: Regarding the LOR’s, they are to be directed to the MSMS program specifically and one must be from a science professor whom you have taken coursework.

Did anyone submit a cover letter with their resume/CV?

Current MSMS student; PM me if you have ANY questions. I'll try to be more active on here for any future questions!

Did anyone include additional volunteer or work experience under the EXP section of the application? I feel like I covered everything in my CV.

Did anyone include additional volunteer or work experience under the EXP section of the application? I feel like I covered everything in my CV.
I would personally, they seem to look kindly on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody,

I am also applying to this program and am eager to begin!! Just to clarify for future applicants, gather your LOR's EARLY and make sure you understand that they require THREE individuals to be listed on the application or else it cannot be submitted. I had an issue with this because I was originally told to list only my health professions advisor on the app who would upload all my letters, but once I was ready to submit it did not go through. You need to contact all of your LOR's to upload your letters for you. All three individuals will be listed and they will receive a link to complete the recommendation form. A committee letter or letter packet service is no longer acceptable. Don't make the same mistake I made! I hope this helps. Best of luck to you all!

Hello All! I am a re-applicant...my application was submitted since October... I was wondering if any of the current MSMS students knew if the committee already met and started offering interviews for Feb 10th?

Just out of curiosity, Is anyone who is planning to attend this program applying to medical school this upcoming cycle or the next cycle? Also, If we want to be considered for an interview for Western medical school after the program, do we submit the primary application?

Just out of curiosity, Is anyone who is planning to attend this program applying to medical school this upcoming cycle or the next cycle? Also, If we want to be considered for an interview for Western medical school after the program, do we submit the primary application?

Yes, you will still need to submit a primary.

Does anyone know when they start sending out interview invites?

Hello All! I am a re-applicant...my application was submitted since October... I was wondering if any of the current MSMS students knew if the committee already met and started offering interviews for Feb 10th?
Hi there, we have not been told anything thus far about the interviews for Feb 10th. When we interviewed the previous year, we received our notice 2 weeks prior to the interview date. That trend will likely repeat again this year since it is stated on the MSMS website.

"To give you peace of mind, we will e-mail you when your application is received. Should you be invited to interview, you can expect to hear from us one to two weeks prior to the interview date for which you are selected."

Hi All,

For those of you who sent your MCAT score via AAMC. How many days did it take for Western U to upload it to your application? I sent my scores three weeks ago and they haven't received it...

Thank you.

Hi All,

For those of you who sent your MCAT score via AAMC. How many days did it take for Western U to upload it to your application? I sent my scores three weeks ago and they haven't received it...

Thank you.
You're not supposed to send your scores, only input your AAMC ID and verification code. Call them to confirm though. 3 weeks is a long time

When did you receive a notification that your app was processed by EDS?
I honestly never received a notification, besides an email in January from admin saying that my application was still with the committee. I just periodically checked my application status and until everything was checked off as received.

I honestly never received a notification, besides an email in January from admin saying that my application was still with the committee. I just periodically checked my application status and until everything was checked off as received.

Sorry, I mean to ask what date it says your app was processed on the application website.

I also received an interview invite for February 10. Any tips on how to prepare?

Last edited:
Hi All,

How long did it take Enrollment Services to process your application?

Thanks in advance!

After EDS processed your application how long would you say it took to get an interview invite?

Hi everyone,

To those who got an interview... are you pre-DO?

To those of you who received interview invites, CONGRATS! And to those still waiting, hang in there... It can sometimes be a slow process to review all the applications on the admin side. Don't lose hope!

How to prepare? This is going to sound very generic and cheesy, but just be yourself at the interview. What sets you apart from the rest? What passions will drive you through medicine and make you a great candidate, and what passions have brought you this far already? Highlight those. Know the school you are coming to, and be prepared to answer the question of WHY you want to come here of all places. Hope to see you guys at the interviews! And congrats again!

Reactions: 2 users
I covered everything in my CV

To those of you who received interview invites, CONGRATS! And to those still waiting, hang in there... It can sometimes be a slow process to review all the applications on the admin side. Don't lose hope!

How to prepare? This is going to sound very generic and cheesy, but just be yourself at the interview. What sets you apart from the rest? What passions will drive you through medicine and make you a great candidate, and what passions have brought you this far already? Highlight those. Know the school you are coming to, and be prepared to answer the question of WHY you want to come here of all places. Hope to see you guys at the interviews! And congrats again!
Thank you for all of your help and input, I greatly appreciate it. Post-interview, in your experience when did you find out of your acceptance?

Thank you for all of your help and input, I greatly appreciate it. Post-interview, in your experience when did you find out of your acceptance?
Shockingly fast, only 10 days.