This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azide047

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK guys. I just applied to dental schools.

BUT I am just curious and want to know what kind of chances I would have at medical school if I did just as well on the MCAT, got new (possibly better) LORs, and rewrote my personal statement. Take where I am at now and push it to the 2018 AMCAS application cycle for entry in 2019.

Here are my stats:
**GPAs according to ADEA AADSAS dental service calculations:
GPA Inc +/- (A+, A, A-, B+...): sGPA 3.60, cGPA 3.72
GPA w/o +/- (A, B, C...): sGPA 3.67, cGPA 3.81
DAT: 99th percentile (I think I can get a 90th percentile MCAT score if I study the same way)

Some Pre-College Credits: Lower tier state school
Undergraduate Education and Degree: Top state school
Post-Bacc semester: Lower tier state school
Course load: >> I have no idea how to measure this <<
- 1 semester abroad
Research: 1 year including poster presentation, no pubblications
LORs: 4 letters of rec
Shadowing: 231 hours dentists + OMFS, 119 OMFS
Work: Full-time at medical practice in PR (current and past summers), private organic chemistry tutor (2 semesters), private English tutor (1 semester abroad)
ECs: Health camp counselor (volunteer for 1 week), English teacher abroad (volunteer for 6 weeks), organic chemistry tutor volunteer, language club (6 semesters), sports club (5 semesters), pen-pal club (2 semesters)
Residence: Atlanta, GA

**I think the only differences are A+ counts as 4.33 in dental and math does not factor into our science GPA. So given that I have two 4 credit science A+'s (4.0s), one 4 credit B- (2.7) in math and two 4 credit A-'s (3.7s) in math... my AMCAS science GPAs would be lower... I'll plug this all into the online calculator and find out.

In my year off (now until June 2, 2017):
- Continue full-time job at med practice (40 hrs/week)
- Shadow doctors (5-10 hrs/week)
- Volunteer (pending, 4 hrs/ week)
- Part-time Kaplan teacher (pending, 5 hrs/ week)
- Take the MCAT (possibly) (100-150 hours studying)
- More research experience (possibly)
- More volunteer opportunities (almost definitely) from other health-related camp counseling
- (hopefully some time to travel and enjoy the world)

I've also thought about the Georgetown SMP but that would be 1 more year and $50k for an 1 year MS in physio and better chance at med to improve my GPAs. And I don't think you apply during the MS so really it would be TWO more years if I started that in 2017...

------ ------ ------
What do you guys think are my chances next cycle?
Thoughts on certain medical schools?

------ ------ ------

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DAT: 99th percentile (I am confident I can get a 90th percentile MCAT score if I study the same way)

Someone is going to chime in on this.

Why the switch?

I'm just looking at both equally now. They each have their perks. I am interested in surgery be it oral and maxillofacial or a medical surgical specialty. I'm willing to put the blood sweat and tears into it- I know those kinds of residencies are the hardest to get into. Dent is more familiar. Med has more diversity. I'm closely examining both.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just looking at both equally now. They each have their perks. I am interested in surgery be it oral and maxillofacial or a medical surgical specialty. I'm willing to put the blood sweat and tears into it- I know those kinds of residencies are the hardest to get into. Dent is more familiar. Med has more diversity. I'm closely examining both.
Cool! Best of luck to ya