This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minacat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated May 2014 with BA biology, chem and philosophy minor
Overall GPA: 3.232
BCPM GPA: 2.77 (chem was lowest with C/C- occasional B/B+)
All other GPA: 3.725

I also took some postbacc undergrad classes that boosted ^ GPA. W/o those classes:
Overall GPA: 3.167
BCPM: 2.69
AO: 3.669

Yes, I realize that my AO GPA is significantly higher than my BCPM GPA. In the gap years I have been working at a clinic as a medical assistant (lots and lots of hours), and did EMT course (though ended up not using it b/c of med assist job). During undergrad I did not do research, but I did TA in the chem dept, and I established a community service organization at the liberal arts college I attended. In HS did a lot of shadowing.

B/c my undergrad was at a liberal arts college, I had to take a lot of extra chem courses, which put me only 2 classes away from a minor - so I got a minor. Chem was my weakest subject and this really brought down my sGPA. Ironically, those last two classes I did best in. Do I have to retake every class I got a C in? (Had nothing below a C that did not already get retaken to a C or better)

Also did abysmally on MCAT first time around: 20.
But am retaking in Jan 2016. What kind of new MCAT score are DO schools looking for?

I am looking to apply to any med school I could get into (DO or MD), but shooting for TX schools (am a resident). What are my chances?

Also briefly thought about doing postbacc MS to help my poor BCPM, and possibly open up future research opportunities if med school fails (now I wish I did do undergrad research). I know it is really expensive, but is it worth it with my stats? Also, only have the 2016 - summer 2017 to complete a program if entering fall 2017. However, I am willing to finish a two year course if it means helping my chances. (I'd be more interested in programs that have affiliations with med schools).

Thanks for reading all!

Members don't see this ad.

a really bad BCPM grade and a really bad MCAT is going to pull you down a lot. as of right now you have 0% chance at even the worst/newest DO schools and those are barely selective (3.4 GPA and 25mcat). i don't think any true SMP program will take you so i believe the only way is through postbacc. you basically need as close as possible to 4.0 retakes of all below B BCPM prereqs and score an equivalent of 29+/506+ on the MCAT. if you have too many Bs in BCPM and because many people don't like retaking Bs, you might need to get straight As in more upper division biology courses. you desperately need a higher overall BCPM gpa because you just barely scratch minimums for many schools' auto rejection.

Last edited:
Your chances for Texas schools are practically nil.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
a really bad BCPM grade and a really bad MCAT is going to pull you down a lot. as of right now you have 0% chance at even the worst/newest DO schools and those are barely selective (3.4 GPA and 25mcat). i don't think any true SMP program will take you so i believe the only way is through postbacc. you basically need as close as possible to 4.0 retakes of all below B BCPM prereqs and score an equivalent of 29+/506+ on the MCAT. if you have too many Bs in BCPM and because many people don't like retaking Bs, you might need to get straight As in more upper division biology courses. you desperately need a higher overall BCPM gpa because you just barely scratch minimums for many schools' auto rejection.

Oh I realized that I was calculating my GPA according to AMCAS and not AACOMAS standards.
SciGPA 2.817, AO GPA 3.773, cumulative with postbacc undergrad, 3.328. But I guess this doesn't really bring me any closer huh?

Oh I realized that I was calculating my GPA according to AMCAS and not AACOMAS standards.
SciGPA 2.817, AO GPA 3.773, cumulative with postbacc undergrad, 3.328. But I guess this doesn't really bring me any closer huh?

Retake the Cs to get BCPM over 3. Get a 506+ on MCAT and apply broadly!