What are my chances for MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdi3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances at MD schools?

NC Resident

Major:
Economics and Chemistry
GPA: 3.5, Upward Trend
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 510; Chem/Phys: 127, CARS 130, Bio 126, Psych/Soc 127

Shadowing Experience:
>200 hours (Cardiology, Anesthesiology, OB/GYN, General Surgery, Internal Medicine)

Research:
Currently researching protocol changes in the emergency medicine department, publication in the works

Volunteer:

Habitat for Humanity:
>400 Hours
Local Medical Clinic for Underserved Populations: ~40

Extracurricular Activities:

Habitat for Humanity:
President of one of the largest campus chapters in the US
Christian Organization Student Leader
Club Sailing Team
Chemistry Tutor
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor

Summer Internship Experience:

Medical Clinic Volunteer (July 2013): Established medical clinic in El Salvador, worked in eyeglasses clinic, shadowed physicians
Cardiology Clinic (May-July 2014): Shadowed physicians, assisting in implementing a dietary clinical research study, provided patient logistical support
Hospital intern in Portugal (July 2015): shadowed physicians, provided patient logistical support, edited Portuguese clinical research studies for grammatical errors in translation

Looking to take 1 or 2 gap years and either work in healthcare consulting (to see the business/policy side of things), or as a physician's scribe.

Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What state? What's your recent grade trend also over the past 3-4 semesters

What state? What's your recent grade trend also over the past 3-4 semesters
North Carolina. I had a less than stellar freshman year before I knew I wanted to pursue medicine. GPA has been trending up since then.

Members don't see this ad :)
North Carolina. I had a less than stellar freshman year before I knew I wanted to pursue medicine. GPA has been trending up since then.

About 24% of North Carolina residents matriculate IS; pretty average number but the good news is all but one of them can be within reach for you. Have you looked over ECU's mission statement of a commitment to rural primary care and how well you fit it? Your chances may very well come down to it. Outside of that give UNC and Wake a shot and get MSAR to identify OOS schools with your median MCAT that take at least 30% OOS; you should be able to find at least 15-20 schools.

About 24% of North Carolina residents matriculate IS; pretty average number but the good news is all but one of them can be within reach for you. Have you looked over ECU's mission statement of a commitment to rural primary care and how well you fit it? Your chances may very well come down to it. Outside of that give UNC and Wake a shot and get MSAR to identify OOS schools with your median MCAT that take at least 30% OOS; you should be able to find at least 15-20 schools.
Great! I appreciate the advice!