This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redplum154

Reaction score
Hello, my current number one school choice is UHCO and I am trying to get into this cycle, but not sure about my stats. My GPA is really low 3.08, but hopefully by the time I graduate it will be almost a 3.2 I just took my OAT scores yesterday and did really well on the science section, but I was disappointed in my math and reading which brought me down so much. I'm scared that they won't accept anything below a 300 and really don't want to retake the test because of just my reading score. I was also wondering if any one can tell me if schools look more into your science scores or overall? Also, optometry was something I decided to become late in my college career (end of sophomore year maybe?) so I wasn't able to shadow or have much work experience during my time crunch. However, I've been working as a tech for about half a year. I don't have much volunteer hours either, maybe ~30 hours since I was focusing to improve my GPA. I'm in a few extracurriculars and orgs at school as well. If someone can give me their honest opinion I would appreciate it so much! Thank you!

QR: 310
RC: 290
BIO: 360
CH: 380
OC: 370
PHY: 330
TS/AA: 370/340

Members don't see this ad.

Current uhco student here. You should definitely apply. Your stats should be good enough to get an interview. If you have more questions you can pm me

Following.. my gpa is very similar to yours but I haven’t taken the OAT yet. But UHCOis one of my top choices. What did you use to study for the OAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Following.. my gpa is very similar to yours but I haven’t taken the OAT yet. But UHCOis one of my top choices. What did you use to study for the OAT?

What helped me the most was watching chads/youtube videos and using Kaplan book as a guide. I had just finished taking anatomy a month before I had to take my oat which helped me a lot in the bio section, so for biology I just went over my notes from anatomy, Kaplan book, and this biology pdf that is attached which I read during long trips or slow days at work! I also took a BUNCH of different kaplan practice exams for the Bio section and if i got a question wrong I’d google and watch youtube videos about the topic and learn it. That also helped me with learning and making sure I knew which biology topics I had down. For chem and physics I used chads videos and honestly the practice problems from chads were super similar to the ones on OAT and highly suggest doing his quizzes for those sections. For ochem, I had a great ochem professor so I just had to refresh and memorize the reactions again by doing flash cards and going over my class notes while following topics that kaplan/chad covered. For reading and math I didn't really study except doing them for the practice tests from kaplan and ADA. OAT wasn't terribly bad if you study your material.

Attachments

• kupdf.com_feralis-biology-notes.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 136
Reactions: 1 users
What helped me the most was watching chads/youtube videos and using Kaplan book as a guide. I had just finished taking anatomy a month before I had to take my oat which helped me a lot in the bio section, so for biology I just went over my notes from anatomy, Kaplan book, and this biology pdf that is attached which I read during long trips or slow days at work! I also took a BUNCH of different kaplan practice exams for the Bio section and if i got a question wrong I’d google and watch youtube videos about the topic and learn it. That also helped me with learning and making sure I knew which biology topics I had down. For chem and physics I used chads videos and honestly the practice problems from chads were super similar to the ones on OAT and highly suggest doing his quizzes for those sections. For ochem, I had a great ochem professor so I just had to refresh and memorize the reactions again by doing flash cards and going over my class notes while following topics that kaplan/chad covered. For reading and math I didn't really study except doing them for the practice tests from kaplan and ADA. OAT wasn't terribly bad if you study your material.
Thank you,!!