What are my chances? Need help cutting down school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gullwing500

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just had my primary approved and would like to send it off very soon to other schools. (I’m still working on 2 letters of rec but I'll have them soon hopefully). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Undergrad University: University of Florida
Residence: FL
Sex: Female
Ethnicity: white
MCAT: 503 (124/127/124/128)
Undergrad GPA: 3.57
Science Undergrad GPA: 3.31 (I know, that’s not very good)

I come from a low-income family, parents are immigrants. I’m a recent grad with a Biology major and Spanish minor. I would say I have about average volunteering, shadowing, and research. I have a lot of leadership experience.

I’d prefer to be within an hour of a city so my SO can find an engineering job nearby. I enjoy being outdoors, especially hiking. I prefer schools that give out financial aid/federal loans.

I have about 20 schools, would like to cut out a few so I have less essays to write….
· LECOM Bradenton
· NSU-KPCOM (Ft. Lauderdale)
· ACOM (Dothan)
· VCOM-Auburn
· GA-PCOM (Suwanee, near Atlanta)
· VCOM-Carolinas (Spartanburg)
· VCOM-Virginia (Blacksburg)
· LUCOM (Lynchburg)
· CUSOM (between Fayetteville and Raleigh)
· LMU-DCOM (1hr away from Knoxville)
· UP-KYCOM (middle of nowhere Kentucky)
· WVSOM (middle of nowhere Virginia)
· ARCOM (Fort Smith)
· KCU-COM (Kansas City, MO)
· PCOM (Philadelphia)
· LECOM (Erie)
· TouroCOM (New York City)
· UNECOM (Portland, ME)
· AZCOM (Phoenix)
· TUNCOM (Las Vegas)

I would like to apply to these for the locations but I’m not sure if I’d have a good chance?
· ICOM (Boise) -no federal loans allowed? -regional bias?
· UIWSOM (San Antonio)- regional bias?
· RVUCOM (both)- regional bias?
· DMUCOM (Des Moines)-my stats too low?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I just had my primary approved and would like to send it off very soon to other schools. (I’m still working on 2 letters of rec but I'll have them soon hopefully). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Undergrad University: University of Florida
Residence: FL
Sex: Female
Ethnicity: white
MCAT: 503 (124/127/124/128)
Undergrad GPA: 3.57
Science Undergrad GPA: 3.31 (I know, that’s not very good)

I come from a low-income family, parents are immigrants. I’m a recent grad with a Biology major and Spanish minor. I would say I have about average volunteering, shadowing, and research. I have a lot of leadership experience.

I’d prefer to be within an hour of a city so my SO can find an engineering job nearby. I enjoy being outdoors, especially hiking. I prefer schools that give out financial aid/federal loans.

I have about 20 schools, would like to cut out a few so I have less essays to write….
· LECOM Bradenton
· ACOM (Dothan)
· VCOM-Auburn
· GA-PCOM (Suwanee, near Atlanta)
· VCOM-Carolinas (Spartanburg)
· VCOM-Virginia (Blacksburg)
· LUCOM (Lynchburg)
· CUSOM (between Fayetteville and Raleigh)
· LMU-DCOM (1hr away from Knoxville)
· UP-KYCOM (middle of nowhere Kentucky)
· WVSOM (middle of nowhere Virginia)
· ARCOM (Fort Smith)
· KCU-COM (Kansas City, MO)
· PCOM (Philadelphia)
· LECOM (Erie)
· TouroCOM (New York City)
· UNECOM (Portland, ME)
· AZCOM (Phoenix)
· TUNCOM (Las Vegas)

I would like to apply to these for the locations but I’m not sure if I’d have a good chance?
· ICOM (Boise) -no federal loans allowed? -regional bias?
· UIWSOM (San Antonio)- regional bias?
· RVUCOM (both)- regional bias?
· DMUCOM (Des Moines)-my stats too low?
Remove Nova, LUCOM, and Touro-NY. Be aware that VCOM puts more weight on GPA than MCAT.

Remove Nova, LUCOM, and Touro-NY. Be aware that VCOM puts more weight on GPA than MCAT.

I'm curious, why would you recommend removing Nova and LUCOM? I'm a Florida resident so Nova is close to home.

I read online about the problems Touro-NY has and decided not to apply there...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd get rid of ARCOM, LECOM-B, LUCOM, and Nova
I'd add MUCOM, RVU-CO, and DMU

I'm curious, why would you recommend removing Nova and LUCOM? I'm a Florida resident so Nova is close to home.

I read online about the problems Touro-NY has and decided not to apply there...
Decreasing test rates pass few years into the mid 80's
Not a good sign for a school that isn't brand new

LUCOM is just too religious and absurd IMO to be a legit medical school.
Thier policies are extreme and thier view on science and God seems odd.

Reactions: 1 user
Decreasing test rates pass few years into the mid 80's
Not a good sign for a school that isn't brand new

LUCOM is just too religious and absurd IMO to be a legit medical school.
Thier policies are extreme and thier view on science and God seems odd.

Ahh okay, thank you for the information :) I'm just worried about applying to MUCOM and both RVUCOMs due to in-state bias...

While Nova isnt the best med school and they are struggling to get it together, it isnt worth not being a doctor. And LUCOM I am not applying to but a highschool friend of mine just matched EM there and loves it so... And im Atheist.

These schools are on the bad list, no doubt. But Nova is my fall back ive lived 10 minutes from campus my entire life.
Lecom-B I did not apply to because of their clinical rotation issues and everyone there is pretty miserable.

These schools are on the bad list, no doubt. But Nova is my fall back ive lived 10 minutes from campus my entire life.
Lecom-B I did not apply to because of their clinical rotation issues and everyone there is pretty miserable.

Yes, I think I will apply to these just as safety schools in case I don't get accepted elsewhere. I want to leave my home state, but if it's the only school that accepts me, I won't complaint too much haha.

Add DMU and RVU imo
Just because your stats are a little low its worth the shot.

I would also consider the schools with mandatory attendance and dress codes.

Thanks to everyone who helped out! So far I've interviewed at 2 schools!

I suggest culling out:

· LUCOM (Lynchburg)
·· LMU-DCOM (1hr away from Knoxville)
· ARCOM (Fort Smith)
·· TouroCOM (New York City)
· UNECOM (Portland, ME)
· ICOM (Boise)
· RVUCOM- UT
·

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest culling out:

· LUCOM (Lynchburg)
·· LMU-DCOM (1hr away from Knoxville)
· ARCOM (Fort Smith)
·· TouroCOM (New York City)
· UNECOM (Portland, ME)
· ICOM (Boise)
· RVUCOM- UT
·

Why cut out UNECOM? That was one of the schools I’ve been accepted to actually

Why cut out UNECOM? That was one of the schools I’ve been accepted to actually

Because they are extremely regionally biased. But i disagree, keep it. If Californians can be accepted there then anyone can.

Where in your post did it say that you were accepted??????

That’s wasn’t in my initial post I will provide an update for everyone: I received an acceptance to UNECOM approximately one month ago. I also interviewed at KCU and PCOM-GA. Still waiting to hear back from them but since KCU is in the top 5 for DO schools, that is my first choice if I receive an acceptance there. What do you guys think, is KCU a better school than PCOM-GA?

That’s wasn’t in my initial post I will provide an update for everyone: I received an acceptance to UNECOM approximately one month ago. I also interviewed at KCU and PCOM-GA. Still waiting to hear back from them but since KCU is in the top 5 for DO schools, that is my first choice if I receive an acceptance there. What do you guys think, is KCU a better school than PCOM-GA?
Yes

What about UNECOM vs PCOM-GA? Which one would you say prepares students better for boards and a variety of residencies? I’m hesitant about UNECOM since it’s almost $10k more a year...

Unecom has been around since 1972ish. It’s established with a track record

Reactions: 1 users
Today I was waitlisted at KCU :/ Guess it’s between UNECOM and PCOM-GA now. I’m just hesitant about UNECOM because I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra $10k a year :/

It’s worth

Today I was waitlisted at KCU :/ Guess it’s between UNECOM and PCOM-GA now. I’m just hesitant about UNECOM because I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra $10k a year :/
Personally, I'd go with UNECOM.

You're choosing from one of the oldest schools in osteopathic medicine in the USA vs one of the newest born schools of osteo med in the USA. Be smart and good luck (in NE)!