What are my chances of getting into a pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RubyNight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took the PCAT and scored 81%tile. Actually, I graduated from high school this past May. I studied for it for three 1/2 months and took it just recently. I received my preliminary score report:
VA: 63
BIO: 84
RC: 76
QA: 72
CHEM: 81
Composite: 81

During my senior of high school, I dual enrolled at a nearby community college where I took Statistics 101. I had taken AP Bio as well. So far, I have 4 AP credits and 4 college course credits. This is my 1st year being a full time student at community college and currently I am taking the pre-reqs (Microbiology, Human AP I, Physics I, Gen chem I, Philosophy). Next spring I shall be taking the sequential courses. So according to my planning, by the end of summer 2016, I will be done with all my pre-reqs (my AP credits and previous college credits helped me cut the amount of time to be spent in college). So far with the four classes on my transcript, I have a GPA of 3.45.

Some things I can put on my resume are:
Member of Phi Theta Kappa
Member and social/cultural event coordinator of Honors Program
AP Scholar 2015

I know that the admissions committee looks on quite many other things, but with the information so far I have given, if I were to apply this year (in order to get into pharm school next year fall 2016), what are my chances?
Do I even stand a chance in front of other graduates?

Members don't see this ad.

I took mine on the 17th of September. I'm new to SDN, but here are my preliminary scores:

Verbal Ability 91
Biology 97
Reading comp 88
Quantitative 97
Chemistry. 93
Composite. 97

I am a Baylor Biochemistry major with a 4.0 GPA currently. I'm applying next summer, but luckily this is out of the way now. I have a few questions: 1) does your essay score change the composite? 2) will it do me detriment that my RC score was not in the 90s range? 3) do the preliminary and final scores differ by much? 4) is it bad that I have no college pharmacy experience, even though I am pharmacy technician certified? 5) is this good enough for UT Austin and University of Houston pharmacy schools?

I've been a long time reader of SDN. I just signed up. I can pretty much say 81 percentile is a pretty solid score. You should check other Pharm schools too. Some don't even look at cumulative gpa. They look at pre-req gpa instead. Some schools may look at both but put more emphasis on pre-req. Other schools may look at your upper level classes and consider the challenging courses you took.

The fact that you just graduated from high school makes you different from all the other people applying because most have already obtained their Bachelor's degree. It shows that you're excelling at a faster pace. I would also consider some work experience and begin volunteering though to make yourself a stronger candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
My Stats are:
VA-18 :eek:
Bio-97:soexcited:
Chem-93:banana:
RC-10:scared:
QA-85:claps:
Composite-74 :slap:

Verbal and Reading really killed my score. Should I retake?

Reactions: 1 user
I took mine on the 17th of September. I'm new to SDN, but here are my preliminary scores:

Verbal Ability 91
Biology 97
Reading comp 88
Quantitative 97
Chemistry. 93
Composite. 97

I am a Baylor Biochemistry major with a 4.0 GPA currently. I'm applying next summer, but luckily this is out of the way now. I have a few questions: 1) does your essay score change the composite? 2) will it do me detriment that my RC score was not in the 90s range? 3) do the preliminary and final scores differ by much? 4) is it bad that I have no college pharmacy experience, even though I am pharmacy technician certified? 5) is this good enough for UT Austin and University of Houston pharmacy schools?

CONGRATS on your score! 97 is a near perfect, seriously! I wouldn't retake it if I were you. The 88 is definitely competitive, but I'm pretty new to this site as well so I can't give you any sort of concrete answer. The numbers all sound pretty solid too, along with your 4.0 GPA should definitely put you in a really great spot. And the writing doesn't change your composite, I'm **pretty** sure. I just was reading up on that today. It should be a separate score entirely from your composite, so if you think you bombed it (which I think I did) it won't hurt your numbers, but if you think you did well it won't help either.

CONGRATS on your score! 97 is a near perfect, seriously! I wouldn't retake it if I were you. The 88 is definitely competitive, but I'm pretty new to this site as well so I can't give you any sort of concrete answer. The numbers all sound pretty solid too, along with your 4.0 GPA should definitely put you in a really great spot. And the writing doesn't change your composite, I'm **pretty** sure. I just was reading up on that today. It should be a separate score entirely from your composite, so if you think you bombed it (which I think I did) it won't hurt your numbers, but if you think you did well it won't help either.

Your writing score is independent of your composite score so, no, it will not affect your composite regardless of how you did.