This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danskrani_xx7272xx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior at the University of Virginia. I am thinking of applying to medical school during this upcoming year and I am rather curious as to see where exactly I stand and what I am looking towards to make sure my numbers are competitive, as well as what I can do myself to show myself best. So some quick numbers that I have (so far)

Majors: Biology and Psychology

cGPA: 3.556
- Based on how classes are going so far this semester, I see myself moving this up by the end of the semester to lowest as 3.567 and max possible a 3.631; I think of myself getting to a middle ground so hopefully ~3.6 overall
sGPA: 3.518 (BCPM) 3.546
- This is strictly the ones listed in the BCPM departments; if I consider classes that are science based outside of these departments (I.e. psychological neuroanatomy) the number is the second one
- I am essentially done with all but 2 of my science requirements for major or otherwise​

MCAT 2015: PENDING
- I am taking this in May;
- TPR Practice Exams: 507, 506
- AAMC Practice Exam: 85%, 93%, 82%, 76%
- Aiming for around a 513-518
I have 600+ hours working as a medical assistant in a physician's office, 200 hours in optometrist's office, 90 hours of shadowing an optometrist, as well as volunteering in a research lab for a year, best estimate of hours around 150 - 200 hours with pending second-author publication. I am also either going to have a summer research internship at the university this summer or participate in the UVa Scribe program pending interview next week. Other extracurricular activities at the university include a member of an A capella group, Salsa club, and Persian Cultural Society.

I have LOR from 3 professors, as well as a few of the doctors I worked with and my lab mentors. I started my undergraduate career with a 3.4 both first semesters, but the third I slipped due to a lot of social stresses included the tragedies that happened at my school. however, the next semester I had a 3.7 and the following a 3.9. I am Echols Scholar and 2x Dean's List.

Some personal details: I am Iranian/Danish American, immigrant (technically though I was very young) to this country.

What do y'all think? I know the GPA isn't great, but for getting into schools in Virginia and along the eastern coast, where do I stand?

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you're able to score around a 513-515, some schools to look into include

UVA
EVMS
VCU
VTech

These four are automatically your best bets.

Others include

Wake forest
MUSC
WVU
TCMC
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
SUNY Downstate
Stony Brook
Vermont
Georgetown
George Washington
SLU

Keep in mind that several of the schools on this list are low yield schools due to app volume, but I think they're worth looking into regardless.

If your MCAT is around 510 or below, I would recommend considering some DO schools as well.