This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acobra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.79 at Clemson University (BCPM 3.73, AOM 3.93)
MCAT: 502, 503
Reapplicant, applied to same 3 schools last year, interviews at two, wait-listed at one.
In Calhoun Honors College (I was told at my interview for MUSC that adds 0.5 to my GPA)
Current full time medical scribe, have worked 870+ hours in ED
Current part time employee at a childcare facility, have worked over 2500 hours there since high school

I applied to MUSC, USCSOM-Columbia, USCSOM-Greenville last year, all in state. Got an interview at Greenville and Columbia. Wait listed at Greenville.

I interviewed at MUSC for this year and have one coming up in March in Columbia. Still haven't heard from Greenville.

What do you think are my chances of getting into these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is not good. Knock the interviews out the park, because that will most likely make or break the deal.
Also, you should make your WAMC post on the WAMC thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is not good. Knock the interviews out the park, because that will most likely make or break the deal.
Also, you should make your WAMC post on the WAMC thread.

I have heard of plenty of students getting in with lower MCAT scores than mine. I know a lot of schools may rely on test scores, but I have plenty of other positive attributes in my application that make up for it. MCAT is not necessarily the end-all be-all.

I have learned WAY more as a scribe about being a successful physician than I could from studying test books for the MCAT.

I think if you rock your interviews, your MCAT score will not stand in the way. If you're able to get an interview from these schools, then your stats are obviously not a big issue to them. Did you feel like you had a good interview at MUSC?

I have heard of plenty of students getting in with lower MCAT scores than mine. I know a lot of schools may rely on test scores, but I have plenty of other positive attributes in my application that make up for it. MCAT is not necessarily the end-all be-all.
It does not matter if you know plenty of students with lower MCAT scores that got in, I know plenty as well. The fact is, your MCAT score is lower than the average matriculant. Obviously the MCAT is not the defining factor, I believe your GPA and EC are very good and are the reason for your IIs. Now it's all about how well you do on your interviews.

I have learned WAY more as a scribe about being a successful physician than I could from studying test books for the MCAT.
That's great... But you will be studying from "test books" when you prepare for your Step 1. Does not matter if you know better way of being a successful physicians. I agree completely that hands on experience beats testing skills. But if you don't do well on that Step 1, you may not be able to go into the field you like.

What do you think are my chances of getting into these schools?
We can't really tell you. WAMC is mostly about whether you will get interview invitations. After you've gotten the II a lot is riding on how the interview goes, which we have no way to assess !

Your chances are zero if you don't learn to read stickies before posting

moving to WAMC

Reactions: 1 users
I think if you rock your interviews, your MCAT score will not stand in the way. If you're able to get an interview from these schools, then your stats are obviously not a big issue to them. Did you feel like you had a good interview at MUSC?
Yes, the interviews went really well at MUSC! They seemed to like me and I really liked the school a lot!

Yes, the interviews went really well at MUSC! They seemed to like me and I really liked the school a lot!

Ok, if you can't spot any mistakes with your current interview style, then you should be fine. Just keep doing what you are doing in preparation for your next interview. There isn't much else you can do but wait. I think you have a fair shot if the interviews go really well!