MD What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoctor29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just want to say thank you for any advice that you guys choose to give. I have just completed second year of a biology undergrad at York University in Ontario, Canada. I plan to apply to mostly American schools during fourth year, because Canadian schools are nearly impossible to get into. I am going to give an overview of how I did in first and second year so you guys can make an informative response. First year was terrible. I have improved a lot this year, and I want to do even better third and fourth year because those are the most important. Here is some info for the rest of my application; I have been volunteering at this one hospital since grade 11 where I have also done co op. I am currently doing a research practicum and will continue with it till the end of undergrad. I am also a student ambassador for my university, and am confident I will get good recommendation letters. My grades from first and second year are listed below:

First year and first year summer:
6 credits (full year) - Humanities: Islamic Traditions = B
6 credits (full year) - Introduction to Psychology = B
6 credits (full year) - Math. for the Life and Social Sciences = C+
3 credits (1 semester) - Biology I = B
3 credits (1 semester) - Biology II = B+
3 credits (1 semester) - Chemical Structure = C
3 credits (1 semester) - Chemical Dynamics = B
3 credits (1 semester in summer) - Computer Use: Fundamentals = F NCR (retook course this year)

GPA for first year: 5.7/9 (between C+ and B)

Second year:
3 credits (1 semester) - Philosophy: Introduction to Applied Ethics = A
3 credits (1 semester) - Hollywood: Old and New = A
3 credits (1 semester) - Computer Use: Fundamentals = B
3 credits (1 semester) - Biochemistry = B
3 credits (1 semester) - Cell Biology = B+
3 credits (1 semester) - Genetics = A
3 credits (1 semester) - Research Methods in Cell and Molecular Biology = B+
3 credits (1 semester) - Introductory Organic Chemistry I = A
3 credits (1 semester) - Introductory Organic Chemistry II = A
*withdrew from genetics in semester 1 and retook in semester 2

GPA for second year: 7.3/9 (between B+ and A)

So my question is, do I have a fair chance based on how I have done so far or no? I plan to pursue a masters after undergrad if I do not get into north american medical schools to strengthen my application before I reapply, OR go to europe (specifically ireland or poland) so I don't waste time. I think going to the caribbean is a really gamble, it doesn't work for everyone and I want to avoid it if I can. Sorry if this post sounds all over the place, I am just quite stressed about this because I really tried my best to improve this year and a few bad marks brought my GPA down a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

First, don't even think about caribbean. That should be a last resort, and even if it is your last resort, you still shouldn't do it. Apply to DO schools instead of caribbean. Bunch of people I know went to caribbean and was so happy to get their "MD" and kept bragging about how they have "connections" in the US. Tried to become a doctor in the states, nope. Some took on nursing right after. For many residency programs in the US, as soon as they see you are from the caribbean, they throw your application in the trash. Make sure you do very well on your MCAT, get strong LOR, if school has premed committee - get that, then you'll possibly a solid applicant. As gonnif has said in previous threads, your goal is to become a doctor, not to become a doctor fast.

Second, since you are applying as a Canadian resident to an American medical school, you are at a huge disadvantage since there are a lot of schools that do not take applicants from Canada, look up the schools that do and aim for those.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First, don't even think about caribbean. That should be a last resort, and even if it is your last resort, you still shouldn't do it. Apply to DO schools instead of caribbean. Bunch of people I know went to caribbean and was so happy to get their "MD" and kept bragging about how they have "connections" in the US. Tried to become a doctor in the states, nope. Some took on nursing right after. For many residency programs in the US, as soon as they see you are from the caribbean, they throw your application in the trash. Make sure you do very well on your MCAT, get strong LOR, if school has premed committee - get that, then you'll possibly a solid applicant. As gonnif has said in previous threads, your goal is to become a doctor, not to become a doctor fast.

Second, since you are applying as a Canadian resident to an American medical school, you are at a huge disadvantage since there are a lot of schools that do not take applicants from Canada, look up the schools that do and aim for those.

Hi, thank you for replying to me! I appreciate the advice.