MD & DO What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedGal20

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Overall gpa - 3.6 (freshman yr- 2.8, all other yrs- 3.7+)
science gpa 3.4
Mcat - 506
50 Hrs shadowing
100 hrs hospital volunteer
100 hrs non clinical volunteer
3 clubs (1 leadership position for a year)
Intramural sports- 3 yrs
3 rec letters (1 MD physician, 1 Prof, 1 Committee letter)

Im applying to about 15 DO schools and 5 MD. Applying 1 yr late, so ill be taking a gap. Probably going to volunteer some more/shadow in the time period.

Any thoughts on my chances?

Also, will not having a DO rec letter hurt my chances of getting into a DO school?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

For most DO schools, the letter from a DO is required. You should get a shadowing opportunity set up with a DO so you'll be in position to get the LOR for your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Letter from DO usually not required--I did not have, and it did not hurt (any DO letter requirement will be listed on website, most are only preferred). Apply to MD state schools and broadly (like way more than 5) if you want a chance--just know that this may be fruitless. You are good for every DO school in the country, save for those with high in-state % (basically some state schools). Good luck!

Do apply broadly and research old threads to make high yield list. Spend as much as you can safely afford, and you should get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
For most DO schools, the letter from a DO is required. You should get a shadowing opportunity set up with a DO so you'll be in position to get the LOR for your application.
Im going to try my best to find a DO to shadow soon. Ill be taking a gap year so I have time thankfully

Letter from DO usually not required--I did not have, and it did not hurt (any DO letter requirement will be listed on website, most are only preferred). Apply to MD state schools and broadly (like way more than 5) if you want a chance--just know that this may be fruitless. You are good for every DO school in the country, save for those with high in-state % (basically some state schools). Good luck!

Do apply broadly and research old threads to make high yield list. Spend as much as you can safely afford, and you should get in somewhere.
This makes me feel so much better! :D

Keep in mind that there are people on here that are much more qualified to answer you than me, but if I were you, I would apply to all schools in TX not named Baylor and about 15 DO schools. If money were not a concern, I would then apply to about 20 low stat/new MD schools that take high % OOS, knowing that this probably wouldn't lead to an accept, but acknowledging that luck happens in this process.

I would also get a PAtient contact job and gain real clinical experience as that is lacking

your on the right track. shadow a do and get a letter. I think everything else is pretty ok for the most part.