What are my dubious chances of getting into a DO school thread ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah dr. kicia good luck to you! maybe afterwards u can give me some pointers on the CBT format , as i'll be new to it in august. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Goodluck Kicia I have faith you will beat a 26, just remember to try and relax but be confident in your answers and move along quickly.

oh man, i just took AAMC#10 and....:scared::scared::scared:
yeah that is all i can say...i can only hope for God being on my side on the MCAT day... and on the fact that i always do better when i am freaked out and running on adrenaline.
to be honest i just want this thing to be over and i just want to apply...even if i get 22 (God forbid) I am still going to apply. I know my GPA sucks but i hope that there is enough uniqueness to my apps to interest adcoms:hello:

orangr85 here is my mdapps in case you feel like looking----> http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=7201

oh man, i just took AAMC#10 and....:scared::scared::scared:
yeah that is all i can say...i can only hope for God being on my side on the MCAT day... and on the fact that i always do better when i am freaked out and running on adrenaline.
to be honest i just want this thing to be over and i just want to apply...even if i get 22 (God forbid) I am still going to apply. I know my GPA sucks but i hope that there is enough uniqueness to my apps to interest adcoms:hello:

orangr85 here is my mdapps in case you feel like looking----> http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=7201

hey dr.kicia - didnt realize you were a chicagoan too!
- ur md apps profile seems pretty solid - you have excellent extracurrics! definitely unique. -

lets hope you blow that MCAT away and we end up at CCOM together next fall ! ( thats my top choice as well ) :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, here goes:

I graduated in May with a double major in Biology and Chemistry with a minor in the Healing Arts and Humanities. My overall GPA is a 3.647 with a 3.53 science and 3.8 non-science. I got a 32 on the MCAT last august with a VR 12, PS 10, and BS 10. My writing score was kind of low for some reason. I think it was an L maybe? I have shadowed an Orthopedic surgeon for around 8 hours and another doc for around 6 hours. Both were MD's. The orthopedic surgeon knows me becuase I grew up in a small town so I think I can get a good letter from him with a few more visits shadowing. I have a pretty broad experience with volunteer work. I worked in a Health Center scheduling, greeting patients, and putting together charts for 4 months one summer. I also worked at a counseling and testing center for 2 years. Currently I work in a physicians reference lab processing lab work for hospitals/doctor's offices. I have also done some research for one summer. The thing that really has me freaking out is that this last semester I got a C in Histology Lab. I have only had one C before, freshman year, but I felt like a complete idiot getting one my last semester. I got all A's otherwise. Basically I have been having some health problems and didn't ask for an extention when I should have. The professor said he would have given me an extra week or so to prepare for the final but I didn't ask soon enough and got burned really bad. For some reason I thought I could pull a B on the final and didn't realize I was out of time until it was too late. So I am freaking out. How bad does this look? I was in the ER a few days before the final and had to spend a couple hours at the cardiologist the day before. Do you this mistake can be overcome? Thanks a lot for any responses.

hey dr.kicia - didnt realize you were a chicagoan too!
- ur md apps profile seems pretty solid - you have excellent extracurrics! definitely unique. -

lets hope you blow that MCAT away and we end up at CCOM together next fall ! ( thats my top choice as well ) :thumbup:

LOL...i hope so. But I really like DCOM too so either of these 2 would make me happy:D
:luck::luck:and keep us posted on your apps progress and remeber to apply asap.

Ok, here goes:

I graduated in May with a double major in Biology and Chemistry with a minor in the Healing Arts and Humanities. My overall GPA is a 3.647 with a 3.53 science and 3.8 non-science. I got a 32 on the MCAT last august with a VR 12, PS 10, and BS 10. My writing score was kind of low for some reason. I think it was an L maybe? I have shadowed an Orthopedic surgeon for around 8 hours and another doc for around 6 hours. Both were MD's. The orthopedic surgeon knows me becuase I grew up in a small town so I think I can get a good letter from him with a few more visits shadowing. I have a pretty broad experience with volunteer work. I worked in a Health Center scheduling, greeting patients, and putting together charts for 4 months one summer. I also worked at a counseling and testing center for 2 years. Currently I work in a physicians reference lab processing lab work for hospitals/doctor's offices. I have also done some research for one summer. The thing that really has me freaking out is that this last semester I got a C in Histology Lab. I have only had one C before, freshman year, but I felt like a complete idiot getting one my last semester. I got all A's otherwise. Basically I have been having some health problems and didn't ask for an extention when I should have. The professor said he would have given me an extra week or so to prepare for the final but I didn't ask soon enough and got burned really bad. For some reason I thought I could pull a B on the final and didn't realize I was out of time until it was too late. So I am freaking out. How bad does this look? I was in the ER a few days before the final and had to spend a couple hours at the cardiologist the day before. Do you this mistake can be overcome? Thanks a lot for any responses.

when i first read this i thought you were a troll.
Your stats are very competetive for both MA and DO schools. The only thing i could suggest is to get some more osteopathic experiance. Deffinetly shadow a DO as a LOR from one is required at a lot of schools. One C is not going to kill you. I know ppl who had waaaaaay more then that and still got it so chill out.
:luck:

Ok, here goes:

Your numbers are quite good for a DO applicant. You said you have not shadowed a DO, if you want to get into a DO school this is almost a must. That way you can try and learn some things about what being a DO means when you get asked that question (and you will either in secondaries or in an interview). You also have numbers for MD schools so apply to those too.

Not sure what more you want if you read this thread you should know you are a good applicant for going DO so if you want more info let us know.

Goodluck.

Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.1
Mcat: TBA

I did really bad my first two years. Made C's in both ochems and a C in cell bio. Then last two years, I was able to pull up my gpa.

EC:
100+ hrs shadowing DO, 2 Cardiologists, Neurologist
400 hrs volunteering at hospital - 2 yrs, 4 hrs/wk
Worked at two physician clinics
Member of various school clubs/organizations
Volunteer for habitat for humanity
Volunteered at local Mission Center
Volunteer as a Big Brother to a 7 yr old
Excellent LORs from physicans I shadowed

What are my chances? How well do I need to do on the mcat?

Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.1
Mcat: TBA

I did really bad my first two years. Made C's in both ochems and a C in cell bio. Then last two years, I was able to pull up my gpa.

EC:
100+ hrs shadowing DO, 2 Cardiologists, Neurologist
400 hrs volunteering at hospital - 2 yrs, 4 hrs/wk
Worked at two physician clinics
Member of various school clubs/organizations
Volunteer for habitat for humanity
Volunteered at local Mission Center
Volunteer as a Big Brother to a 7 yr old
Excellent LORs from physicans I shadowed

What are my chances? How well do I need to do on the mcat?

You have a mediocre GPA and some blotches on your academic record, but your EC's are excellent, which should help you stand out more. If you didn't do well in your early undergraduate career, an upward trend might be of benefit.

I've read quite a few "what are my chances?" posts and I never really know how to answer how well a person needs to score on the MCAT. I don't think it's the right question to be asking. I guess I just don't come from the same perspective as folks that ask that question. You see, I think if a person strives for mediocrity, that's where they'll end up with. From my point of view, the right questions are, "how high can you go?" and "how well can you do?" The medical school application process is a very high-stakes game and you want to give yourself every advantage you can. Therefore, you want to aim high on the MCAT. Sure, if you receive an MCAT score that is at or above the average, which is around 25, you'll probably be alright, if you apply broadly and EARLY, but why settle for that, if you can do better? I say set a goal of 30+ on your MCAT and study for scoring as well as that. Do as well on the MCAT as you can.

Good luck.

I would agree with spicedmanna. It depends on the MCAT score. Try to do your best on it. It has the potential to open and close alot of doors. I would also try to raise your GPA if you are still in school. Take 100 level courses in a broad range of subjects. These courses are generally easy and will help boost the GPA. Make sure you have good instructor's (ask other students for advice) that could mean the difference between an A or a C in a course. ADCOM's will like this as well becuase you are showing you are a well rounded applicant. Take some upper level science courses to help bring up the science GPA. Again you must make sure you have good instructors to get the A. I hope you are accepted to the school of your choice. Good Luck!!!:luck::luck::luck:

non-trad back cause i wanna go to school for the rest of my life:laugh:

gpa 3.5
sgpa 3.2 -- this is due to the many of us who chose to mess around freshman year. i took my chem and some bio and got some C's. Went away from science classes, graduated in Anthropology and decided to come back. Since returning, my last 30 hours of science classes gpa is 3.8 (got straight A's last two semesters...)

will such an upward trend be noticed by committees/ see that i'm serious about it now?

mcat-tbd. take it in 2 weeks. practice tests put me in 28-25 range. obviously gunning for as high as possible.

i'm looking at any of the COM schools west of the Mississippi. All my other stuff, LOR's, extracurr. etc are pretty good.

non-trad back cause i wanna go to school for the rest of my life:laugh:

gpa 3.5
sgpa 3.2 -- this is due to the many of us who chose to mess around freshman year. i took my chem and some bio and got some C's. Went away from science classes, graduated in Anthropology and decided to come back. Since returning, my last 30 hours of science classes gpa is 3.8 (got straight A's last two semesters...)

will such an upward trend be noticed by committees/ see that i'm serious about it now?

mcat-tbd. take it in 2 weeks. practice tests put me in 28-25 range. obviously gunning for as high as possible.

i'm looking at any of the COM schools west of the Mississippi. All my other stuff, LOR's, extracurr. etc are pretty good.

I think you should have a good shot if your MCAT is in that range. Though I'm not sure why you want to limit yourself school wise. In the application process the best advice is to apply early and broadly. I hope you are accepted to the school of your choice. Good Luck!!!!:luck::luck::luck:

Alright, guys..here it goes..

First, the bad..

I haven't shadowed a DO..I've shadowed a hand surgeon for 16 hours and a pediatrician for ~32 hours. Both were MD's.

I have some other experience, a bit of leadership experience, but nothing too significant.

I have research experience, but I'm not published.

Finally, I'm young..I graduated in 6 semesters, so I'm currently 21. I'll be 22 upon matriculation. I know this is less significant now, but I feel it came into play last cycle when I applied MD.

At least my academic credentials aren't as bad..

I graduated from the University of Wisconsin, Madison with a degree in biochemistry. My overall GPA was a 3.73, and my Math/Science GPA was a 3.81.

My MCAT score is a 37R (12 V, 12 P, 13B).

Any suggestions? Also, where to apply? Help is appreciated, thanks.

Alright, guys..here it goes..

First, the bad..

I haven't shadowed a DO..I've shadowed a hand surgeon for 16 hours and a pediatrician for ~32 hours. Both were MD's.

I have some other experience, a bit of leadership experience, but nothing too significant.

I have research experience, but I'm not published.

Finally, I'm young..I graduated in 6 semesters, so I'm currently 21. I'll be 22 upon matriculation. I know this is less significant now, but I feel it came into play last cycle when I applied MD.

At least my academic credentials aren't as bad..

I graduated from the University of Wisconsin, Madison with a degree in biochemistry. My overall GPA was a 3.73, and my Math/Science GPA was a 3.81.

My MCAT score is a 37R (12 V, 12 P, 13B).

Any suggestions? Also, where to apply? Help is appreciated, thanks.

You will get into an osteopathic program with your scores. You did not list any significant volunteering and, as you said you do not have too many EC's. This means you are not a "well rounded" applicant and they want more meaningful volunteer/patient care time. I would try and get some major volunteering and patient time in before next cycle and you should be able to get into almost any MD/DO school you want to get in with those numbers.

Here I go and thanks in advance, guys.

Go to NYU, Physical Anthropology major, Public Health minor

Stats:
3.5 Overall, 3.3 Science
MCAT TBD

Extracurriculars:
President of Unite for Sight (do vision screenings and collect used eye glasses)
APO (community service frat)
Orchestra
Write for 2 journals (human rights and pre-med)
Alternative Winter Break to work with migrant workers in Georgia
Remote Counselor for Medicare Rights Center
Front Desk/Shadow at a free clinic of NYUSOM (also on steering committee)
Compile human rights abuses against untouchables at a rights organization
Interpreter/Tutor at hospital program for survivors of torture
Lot of past experience working at hospitals both in NY and India
Some other little things that probably won't be considered...

Research:
Independent study in anthro department working on dental anomalies and microcephaly in questionable newly discovered extinct species of Homo
One summer of benchwork in optho department at Mt. Sinai

Work:
Helping a former ballerina do research for a book on history of ballet

Letters of Rec:
the ballerina, microbio professor, anatomy/physiology TA (a nurse), PI at Mt. Sinai, post-doctoral fellow at Mt. Sinai, supervisor at human rights organization, previous supervisor (founder and CEO of an international eye health organization)

Regarding DO schools around here, I'll be applying to: NYCOM, PCOM, TouroCOM...
Local MD Schools: all the SUNYs, NYMC, Albany, Rosalind Franklin

Wow, it's sad but looking at it now, I don't seem like much!
What kind of range of MCAT scores should I be looking at to have a good chance of getting in?
I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks again, guys. :oops:

I would try and get some major volunteering and patient time in before next cycle and you should be able to get into almost any MD/DO school you want to get in with those numbers.

Sometimes we get a little too caught up with scores. While I still believe that the two most important things in your file are MCAT and GPA, remember that choice of school can make a difference, especially if you are OOS. Even with those numbers, there are a significant number of MD schools that will never look at you, simply because you are OOS. There are schools that haven't taken an OOS'er in over 20 years.

That said, when you have a 3.7+ and a 37, and go through a cycle without an acceptance, you usually didn't apply broadly enough. There are schools out there that will accept you sight unseen...all you need to do is apply.

I haven't changed my mind from the other thread. Call the schools that interviewed you and turned you down. Ask them what was wrong with you. Fix that. No one here knows what was wrong then, but those schools do. Ask them.

If you are looking at DO schools, you are likely to get an interview with any one of them that you apply to. You need to sit down and list out the things that are most important to you-- the things that you want your school to have-- and start looking at which particular schools can meet those needs. Then, apply to as many of them as you can.

Just looking for some advice on whether or not it looks like I stand a chance this year and some suggestions on where I should apply. Here is my profile:

Science GPA: 3.24
Overall GPA: 3.41
MCAT: 25 (7 PS, 9 VR, 9 BS)
Good EC's

Any input/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Just looking for some advice on whether or not it looks like I stand a chance this year and some suggestions on where I should apply. Here is my profile:

Science GPA: 3.24
Overall GPA: 3.41
MCAT: 25 (7 PS, 9 VR, 9 BS)
Good EC's

Any input/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

There's not much I can say. Yeah, I think you stand a chance. You are a pretty average applicant, so I suggest applying early and broadly. Be wary of schools with an instate preference, however. I don't have any particular suggestions on schools to apply to, just that you apply broadly.

You didn't list your EC's, but I hope you at least have some clinical experience and volunteer/community service work. It also helps to have shadowed a DO. Hope you have good LOR's, too.

Here I go and thanks in advance, guys.

Go to NYU, Physical Anthropology major, Public Health minor

Stats:
3.5 Overall, 3.3 Science
MCAT TBD

Extracurriculars:
President of Unite for Sight (do vision screenings and collect used eye glasses)
APO (community service frat)
Orchestra
Write for 2 journals (human rights and pre-med)
Alternative Winter Break to work with migrant workers in Georgia
Remote Counselor for Medicare Rights Center
Front Desk/Shadow at a free clinic of NYUSOM (also on steering committee)
Compile human rights abuses against untouchables at a rights organization
Interpreter/Tutor at hospital program for survivors of torture
Lot of past experience working at hospitals both in NY and India
Some other little things that probably won't be considered...

Research:
Independent study in anthro department working on dental anomalies and microcephaly in questionable newly discovered extinct species of Homo
One summer of benchwork in optho department at Mt. Sinai

Work:
Helping a former ballerina do research for a book on history of ballet

Letters of Rec:
the ballerina, microbio professor, anatomy/physiology TA (a nurse), PI at Mt. Sinai, post-doctoral fellow at Mt. Sinai, supervisor at human rights organization, previous supervisor (founder and CEO of an international eye health organization)

Regarding DO schools around here, I'll be applying to: NYCOM, PCOM, TouroCOM...
Local MD Schools: all the SUNYs, NYMC, Albany, Rosalind Franklin

Wow, it's sad but looking at it now, I don't seem like much!
What kind of range of MCAT scores should I be looking at to have a good chance of getting in?
I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks again, guys. :oops:

It's hard to assess chances without an MCAT score. You look like a pretty good applicant so far, however. Your GPA is hovering about average, but your work/experiences look pretty exceptional, which should help you stand out.

I want to emphasize that schools tend to look at your entire package. You want to make all the parts of your application as reasonably strong as possible; therefore, aim high on your MCAT. Instead of calibrating your MCAT around a particular school, I would suggest that you score as high as you are able to do. This will likely open up more options for you. However, that said, you can get somewhat of an idea of what schools are expecting by looking at the average MCAT score for a matriculant at the school you are interested in applying (the MSAR provides this information for allopathic medical schools and the average MCAT scores for osteopathic medical schools are listed at this link; also check the websites of the individual medical schools). Allopathic medical schools tend to have higher MCAT averages (which is around 30, for the average allopathic matriculant), so I suggest that you look at scoring 30+ on your MCAT to have a decent shot at them, and if you do so, it should place you significantly above average for osteopathic medical schools (which is around 25, for the average osteopathic matriculant). Basically, in my opinion, shooting for a 30+ on your MCAT will place you in a good position.

Keep in mind that most osteopathic medical schools want a letter of recommendation from a physician, with a preference towards a letter from a DO, although many are also okay with a letter from an MD. Some schools require a letter from a DO, however.

Same advice as I give everyone: apply early and broadly.

i see your point , however -

the rabbit hole runs both ways. my ug. gpa was only a 3.15 sci and 3.2 overall, and i got interviews at CCOM, NYCOM, PCOM and Nova with a mid twenties MCAT. i DID retake the MCAT and score in the 30 range - but that was after i was offered an interview.

What was you score prior to getting the 30 on the MCAT?

EDIT BY MSHHEADDOC: Closing this thread because there is already an active one for 2007-2008

Status
Not open for further replies.